Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

This cut deep.

He looks like a ****ot on his Twitter pic

4 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

You're kidding, right? Wentz is THE worst QB in the league and with each passing week he gets worse....he leads in every negative stat there is for a QB. Who in their RIGHT mind would trade anything of value for him??

Funny thing, Agholor is a standout with the Raiders, maybe it's the coaching, I'm thinking Reich may deal for him, maybe a 3rd or possibly a 2nd.

5 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Funny thing, Agholor is a standout with the Raiders, maybe it's the coaching, I'm thinking Reich may deal for him, maybe a 3rd or possibly a 2nd.

I would be willing to give up maybe a 3rd or possibly a 2nd to Indy to get rid of Wentz's contract, sure.

Pederson might cost himself a job on his own failures, but if he continues to go with Wentz it could be his demise. This team is going nowhere this season and they need to find out if Hurts can play. 

Following up on a recurring problem, has there been anything more glaringly obvious about Wentz's regression that his seemingly complete lack of instincts when dropping back? I've said it before, but it bears repeating: He seems to have zero pocket awareness. Many of his interceptions come when he's a statue in the pocket and doesn't seem to sense the rush at all, so he's frequently contacted by one or multiple 300-lb. lineman as he's releasing the pass. It's easy to see that a lot of his inaccuracy is related to poor footwork and pocket presence. The line is a legitimate problem that I wouldn't expect anyone to really have success behind, but he's not doing himself any favors by being oblivious to it.

I don't know what the hell happened to this guy. When he came out, his accuracy was at least respectable, his instincts and pre-snap recognition were considered elite, and he was known as a freakish athlete who could use his legs to avoid the rush and either pass the ball well while on the run or scramble to safety. He's literally doing the opposite of everything that made him an elite prospect. The extremity and of his regression has truly been a spectacle. Some guys just don't have the psyche or coping mechanisms to continually improve and fail due to personal limitations, but I think a fall from grace this dramatic is at least partially the product of external factors. I've been questioning whether the organization created the right kind of environment for his growth and development, and it seems to be the case more each week. He's been coddled by a Front Office that has created this narrative about him being the chosen one since day 1. They've been content with coaches who are inexperienced and unqualified but are given the job because they get along with Wentz and won't ruffle his feathers. He hasn't been challenged or been held accountable for his mistakes, and it's allowed him to develop a dismissive attitude toward his failings.

I think Wentz came into the league with an ego that could be managed, but instead of managing it, they helped inflate it further, despite the need for him to double-down and recommit to his craft to get all the way back from the injuries. They actively encouraged his resistance to self-awareness, and we ruining him. We're witnessing the consequences of taking a potential MVP and instilling him with an egotistical loser mentality of never owning up to your mistakes and living in this warped reality of thinking that every day after an embarrassing loss is just another day in paradise. This is a case of a "Golden  Boy" gone mad with a particularly corrosive form of insanity that was actively promoted by Lurie and diffused through his cadre of yes-men in the front office and an army of feelgood "players coaches" leading an offensive staff that seems more concerned about hurting feelings than they are about losing football games.

Players regress, #2 overall picks bust. It happens, it's extremely frustrating, but there's a certain resignation to the fact that it just happens. But it doesn't just happen like this without  a bunch of idiots cultivating a corrosive environment for it happen so dramatically. I mean, what we're witnessing is truly astonishing, like some body-snatcher kidnapped Wentz and we're left with a completely different person in his skin. Players are fully capable of failing all on their own, but I don't think they suffer such a complete loss of confidence, identity, and awareness like this unless that kind of attitude was actively promoted. He certainly didn't become a legend at NDSU with this kind of approach. Sure, I think Wentz has always been a bit arrogant or egotistical. Most of these elite prospects are, but they're usually lucky enough to have coaches that recognize this and help them be mindful of their limitations, biases, and bad habits. Good coaches help their players develop a more common-sense approach to the game, and they challenge their best players to take a more guarded and self-critical approach to the game itself in order to be successful. They get their players to focus and work harder a matter of personal pride, maximizing their potential  by appealing to their desire for glory. They don't tell them not to worry about and because they're already great and have always been great. Instead, Lurie & Co. had a guy failing to meet his potential and thought it was best to tell him to just keep doing things exactly the way he did them before, because he was already a great franchise QB.

Wentz looks like a guy who's been allowed to rest on his laurels before he was even crowned a victor.I just Joe Banner isn't around anymore to offer the sage wisdom of Einstein on the nature of insanity. Great players never feel like they've arrived. They're never satisfied with anything, often in a makes them seem joyless. But Wentz was told he'd arrived before he ever stepped onto the field against the Browns in 2016. If it wasn't clear enough from the beginning, they reinforced the notion by ponying up a $130 million before the guy really proved himself on the first one.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

I would be willing to give up maybe a 3rd or possibly a 2nd to Indy to get rid of Wentz's contract, sure.

Is that what you read?

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think Wentz has always been a bit arrogant or egotistical. Most of these elite prospects are,

The great ones aren't arrogant nor egotistical, they "never feel like they've arrived. They're never satisfied with anything,"

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

giphy.gif

I was hoping that was the case.

B-E-N-C-H-  H-I-M

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Wentz' regression continues...and is accelerating. Sad day for Eagles fans.

Too many hits to the head.

3 hours ago, MagicMoment said:

Carson has the most punchable face after turnovers. 

Yup 

how about that last int?  Alshon jumping like what seemed like 2 seconds before the ball was even close.  He looked slow and awkward and wentz’s pass was off too.  No timing and no chemistry between them.  that was pathetic all around.

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't know what the hell happened to this guy. When he came out, his accuracy was at least respectable, his instincts and pre-snap recognition were considered elite, and he was known as a freakish athlete who could use his legs to avoid the rush and either pass the ball well while on the run or scramble to safety. 

Since you don't know I'll tell you. Like all running QBs he got hurt bad and that knocked the wind out of his sails - permanently. He lost a few steps psychologically and he's not making the needed effort to get them back - and no one has the stones to force him. One look at the "deer in headlights" look on his face whenever he's holding the ball shows his desperation to impress with some flashy run or monster pass. Which is why he refuses to alter his style of play.

Plus he got PAID. Big time. Which gave him a great reason to believe his own hype.

He should have been benched a month ago. That might wake him up, although it's highly doubtful. But at least we'd get to see what Hurts or Sudfeld could do. 

But Pederson is still dreaming he can rehab him which is just plain dumb as hell at this point. And Doug looks pathetically sad these days because deep down he knows his career is sinking along with the SS Carson.

Two years ago I was excited watching the birds, even when they faltered I hung on every play. When I watched the game today I felt absolutely nothing. The interceptions and turnovers didn't bother me one iota because I was 100% expecting them. It's the new normal for this team.

Wentz is a back-up QB at best, and not a reliable one. Doug is a mediocre coach with no imagination and no ability to discipline the team.

The only entertainment value this team provides now is when commentators still talk about their chances to make the play-offs or that they're still #1 in the division.
That's good for a belly laugh.

2 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Yup 

how about that last int?  Alshon jumping like what seemed like 2 seconds before the ball was even close.  He looked slow and awkward and wentz’s pass was off too.  No timing and no chemistry between them.  that was pathetic all around.

The Jeffery thing, I'm pretty sure Jeffery was trying to sell a push off by the DB as Pass Interference, but yeah the play was bad all round, Jeffery's effort was bad, the throw was slow with too much air.

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Jeffery thing, I'm pretty sure Jeffery was trying to sell a push off by the DB as Pass Interference, but yeah the play was bad all round, Jeffery's effort was bad, the throw was slow with too much air.

But I've got to really question the coaches on this one. The read and throw by Carson are terrible but why is Jeffery out there?

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But I've got to really question the coaches on this one. The read and throw by Carson are terrible but why is Jeffery out there?

Because contrary to the received wisdom on here a fully healthy Alshon Jeffery is still better than most if not all of the other receivers on our roster as it stands, and the coaching staff are kind of obliged to put the best players we have out while we still have a chance of winning a godawful division, now it may be the next couple of games make it clear that Jeffery is done, like Peters but at the moment lapses can be put down to rust.

9 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Because contrary to the received wisdom on here a fully healthy Alshon Jeffery is still better than most if not all of the other receivers on our roster as it stands, and the coaching staff are kind of obliged to put the best players we have out while we still have a chance of winning a godawful division, now it may be the next couple of games make it clear that Jeffery is done, like Peters but at the moment lapses can be put down to rust.

That's simply not true. He's another year older, he's coming off of a major injury and it really does seem like he's a locker room issue. And he's made basically zero difference in the two games since he's returned. He's a wash. Cut him. 

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's simply not true. He's another year older, he's coming off of a major injury and it really does seem like he's a locker room issue. And he's made basically zero difference in the two games since he's returned. He's a wash. Cut him. 

He can’t be cut for cap reasons. Another stupid Howie decision. 

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He can’t be cut for cap reasons. Another stupid Howie decision. 

I mean he could be they'd just have to take the hit. He's a cap hit whether he's on the roster or not and to be honest he isn't giving this team anything anyway.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean he could be they'd just have to take the hit. He's a cap hit whether he's on the roster or not and to be honest he isn't giving this team anything anyway.

I understand he shouldn’t be here, but he is, and cutting him makes what looks to be a bad situation worse. He isn’t getting cut. He should be sat and IRed if possible. 

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If you can point me at our receivers who've been lighting the league up the last 2 games I'd appreciate it,  Fulgham has caught 2 balls in two weeks off 12 targets, the week before that he caught 6 off 7 targets, it's not that he isn't being used, it's that his purple patch has temporarily stalled, probably because teams have started to account for him.

Jeffery is a boogeyman for an offense that hasn't been working properly all season, Fulgham's problems are better coverage and the same inaccurate throws that everyone else has to deal with, it's not snap count.

38 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I understand he shouldn’t be here, but he is, and cutting him makes what looks to be a bad situation worse. He isn’t getting cut. He should be sat and IRed if possible. 

Why does cutting him make a bad situation worse? He's not a good player anymore, he hasn't been for a couple of years, he's not contributing anything to the team and in fact he may well be a locker room issue. 

34 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If you can point me at our receivers who've been lighting the league up the last 2 games I'd appreciate it,  Fulgham has caught 2 balls in two weeks off 12 targets, the week before that he caught 6 off 7 targets, it's not that he isn't being used, it's that his purple patch has temporarily stalled, probably because teams have started to account for him.

Jeffery is a boogeyman for an offense that hasn't been working properly all season, Fulgham's problems are better coverage and the same inaccurate throws that everyone else has to deal with, it's not snap count.

Jeffrey has been back the last 2 weeks and hasn't done anything either. And how did Jeffrey do with that throw late in the game where he made a half effort (half effort is generous) to make a play on the ball.

45 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t claim to fully understand salary cap stuff but what if he is traded in the offseason? Does that get rid of any of the dead money? I still believe there’s a chance he could be shipped to Indy. 

Archived