Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why does cutting him make a bad situation worse? He's not a good player anymore, he hasn't been for a couple of years, he's not contributing anything to the team and in fact he may well be a locker room issue. 

Jeffrey has been back the last 2 weeks and hasn't done anything either. And how did Jeffrey do with that throw late in the game where he made a half effort (half effort is generous) to make a play on the ball.

Cap room. We’re already way over as it is. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nipples said:

I don’t claim to fully understand salary cap stuff but what if he is traded in the offseason? Does that get rid of any of the dead money? I still believe there’s a chance he could be shipped to Indy. 

I’m not 100%, but I think trading him is a viable option provided someone will take on his contract. 

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not 100%, but I think trading him is a viable option provided someone will take on his contract. 

Well rumors are that Reich is still enamored with Wentz. If he feels like he can turn him around, I’ll bet the Colts come calling in the offseason. 

9 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Cap room. We’re already way over as it is. 

OK maybe you can clarify that for me? What's the difference between cutting him and keeping him on the roster? I thought the cap hit was the cap hit whether he's on the roster or cut.

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

Well rumors are that Reich is still enamored with Wentz. If he feels like he can turn him around, I’ll bet the Colts come calling in the offseason. 

If that's true and they do come knocking then the Eagles should bite their hand off. Colts need a long term replacement for Rivers and if they think that could be Wentz then they should look to make a deal. I think that's best all around.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

OK maybe you can clarify that for me? What's the difference between cutting him and keeping him on the roster? I thought the cap hit was the cap hit whether he's on the roster or cut.

If that's true and they do come knocking then the Eagles should bite their hand off. Colts need a long term replacement for Rivers and if they think that could be Wentz then they should look to make a deal. I think that's best all around.

That would be the smart move, but it would also be the smart move to go to Hurts now and see what he can do. Determine if he’s good enough to give him a shot next year, or if they need to go QB with their top 5 pick they are likely to have. Either way, Wentz should be traded and next year it’s either Hurts or Fields at QB, if they can land Fields. 

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

That would be the smart move, but it would also be the smart move to go to Hurts now and see what he can do. Determine if he’s good enough to give him a shot next year, or if they need to go QB with their top 5 pick they are likely to have. Either way, Wentz should be traded and next year it’s either Hurts or Fields at QB, if they can land Fields. 

It would make sense all around. It is becoming clear that Wentz is not a good QB but if Reich thinks he can turn him around then let him have a go. They need a long term replacement, we need the draft picks to rebuild. And yes lets see what Hurts has.

18 minutes ago, nipples said:

Are you talking Jeffery or Wentz? I was referring to Jeffery. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cutting him accelerated all guaranteed money to the current season prior to June 1st. After, it gets accelerated to the following year or is applied during the season it’s paid out. If we can trade Jeffery, then the guaranteed money follows the contract. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Cutting him accelerated all guaranteed money to the current season prior to June 1st. After, it gets accelerated to the following year or is applied during the season it’s paid out. If we can trade Jeffery, then the guaranteed money follows the contract. 

OK that makes sense. OK so he should be cut post June 1st next year? In the meantime as you say he should have been put on IR and left there. No idea why they wasted a roster spot on him. No wonder why they continue to keep him on the active roster.

6 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Two years ago I was excited watching the birds, even when they faltered I hung on every play. When I watched the game today I felt absolutely nothing. The interceptions and turnovers didn't bother me one iota because I was 100% expecting them. It's the new normal for this team.

Yeah, I actually fell asleep on the game because they're boring. 

They are stuck with his contract.  So they will do what they need to try and rebuild around him.  Last year they fired 2 offensive coaches after winning the division and making the playoffs so this year they will do more than that.

They will keep Wentz and Hurts and repeat this next year with retooling around him, maybe draft an O lineman or another WR.

Coaching wise they'll probably "restructure" with letting some assistants go and having one guy as the OC.  Or maybe fire Doug and start over with coaches.  Wentz will have another chance with a new regime or at least Doug and a new OC.

Bench Wentz and start Hurts but don't change the offense and play calling either. You should be able to figure out if it's just the QB or a systematic issue over the last 6 games. If Hurts lights it up then you know what to do, keep Wentz as a backup until you can find a trade partner or cut him and take the cap hit. If the offense still sucks then maybe it's not all because of Wentz. Carson clearly sucks this season but that can be said of the whole team IMO. There's a serious coaching issue in all three phases of the game.

We have no indication Hurts will be better.  I get the idea of benching Wentz to send HIM a message, but all we've seen from Hurts is him running the ball and he's thrown 2 passes.  Throwing a rookie into a situation with a bad team isn't exactly setting him up for success.  Now, if he were to play well and the offense improves that's great.  But we can't really have much confidence it will work.  It is just wanting change for the sake of change because we're frustrated.

Plus they won't bench Wentz anyway.  Just have to ride this season out.

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Yeah, I actually fell asleep on the game because they're boring. 

Ive done that a few times this season.  It speaks volumes as to the eagles entertainment value and my confidence in them.   

1 hour ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Bench Wentz and start Hurts but don't change the offense and play calling either. You should be able to figure out if it's just the QB or a systematic issue over the last 6 games. If Hurts lights it up then you know what to do, keep Wentz as a backup until you can find a trade partner or cut him and take the cap hit. If the offense still sucks then maybe it's not all because of Wentz. Carson clearly sucks this season but that can be said of the whole team IMO. There's a serious coaching issue in all three phases of the game.

If you need to put another qb in to see if you have an issue with your starter, you have an issue with your starter

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

They are stuck with his contract.  So they will do what they need to try and rebuild around him.  Last year they fired 2 offensive coaches after winning the division and making the playoffs so this year they will do more than that.

They will keep Wentz and Hurts and repeat this next year with retooling around him, maybe draft an O lineman or another WR.

Coaching wise they'll probably "restructure" with letting some assistants go and having one guy as the OC.  Or maybe fire Doug and start over with coaches.  Wentz will have another chance with a new regime or at least Doug and a new OC.

That is where I am at with Wentz.  Its time to move on and should listen to any phone call from any team during the offseason but with the contract the way it is he will not be benched while we still have a chance at the "playoffs" according to Doug.  Outside of any type of trade Wentz will be the starter next season to at least start the season.  If that is the plan then benching him now doesn't do anything but make the fans happy and maybe Alshon. 

3 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

D4573C05-C102-4080-A245-ED9C414D3468.png

Makes sense he is better on the run and rolling out correct?  That is why everyone is blaming Doug because he isn't getting Carson on the edge to make plays. 

3 minutes ago, phil77 said:

Makes sense he is better on the run and rolling out correct?  That is why everyone is blaming Doug because he isn't getting Carson on the edge to make plays. 

Just so I'm clear, your takeaway from analysis that shows even when the pass protection holds up Wentz is the worst QB in the league is that it's Doug's fault for not rolling him out?

22 minutes ago, phil77 said:

Might be the weakest argument for Wentz I have seen. I don’t think coaching is the problem. WRs are open. He is not getting rid of the ball. When we do get moving he is turning the ball over. That safety was just bad. 

40 minutes ago, phil77 said:

He seems to do better when rolling out.  But a QB needs to be able to stand in the pocket and read the defense and deliver the ball, and not hold onto it too long.  People criticized McNabb, Garcia and Vick for not being able to stand in the pocket and deliver.

13 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Might be the weakest argument for Wentz I have seen. I don’t think coaching is the problem. WRs are open. He is not getting rid of the ball. When we do get moving he is turning the ball over. That safety was just bad. 

I am not defending Wentz at all I think he is awful this year and yesterday.  But if you have a struggling QB you need to design plays and change what your are doing to fit what he does well.  We changed what we were doing when Foles took over to play to his strengths why is Doug not doing the same for Wentz?  And lets get this clear Wentz has been terrible and Doug has been terrible both can be true...

2 minutes ago, phil77 said:

I am not defending Wentz at all I think he is awful this year and yesterday.  But if you have a struggling QB you need to design plays and change what your are doing to fit what he does well.  We changed what we were doing when Foles took over to play to his strengths why is Doug not doing the same for Wentz?  And lets get this clear Wentz has been terrible and Doug has been terrible both can be true...

I normally don't put too much stock in what is said in press conferences, because they generally don't like having to answer media especially immediately after a loss...

...but this year week after week the reporters are challenging Doug on play calls and decisions and he will acknowledge he needs to do better and then he does the same things.  Last night they asked both Doug and Carson about saying they're going to fix things but then keep making the same mistakes.  It shows they don't learn and don't change anything.

3 minutes ago, xBMTx said:

Wentz slurpers please explain that.

Exactly....they simply need to stop with the excuses at this point. He had at least two receivers that he could have thrown it to and he sits back and gets sacked....ZERO pocket awareness to add to that....

Archived