JJ Arcega-Whiteside Tracker - [The Unofficial DK Metcalf Topic]

philafan4o8

4 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Lol give it some time. Anything can happen in this league. Everyone points out specific picks like Whiteside (who is indeed trash) and Reagor (jury is still out on). Yet no one talk about how Taters loved Dillard, Derek Barnett and Sidney Jones when they were drafted.

I always been high on Reagor, he annoys me but he should get a fair shake. Eagles draft class this year looks solid but we will see how it plays out

Yeah drafts are hit or miss. I do know a lot of people were high on the guys you mentioned. I think the bigger issue here isn’t that TATE is always right, but Howie just keeps picking a bunch of duds especially in the first three rounds. Bottom line is Howie made all these picks. 

22 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Yet no one talk about how Taters loved Dillard, Derek Barnett and Sidney Jones when they were drafted.

I always been high on Reagor, he annoys me but he should get a fair shake. Eagles draft class this year looks solid but we will see how it plays out

I wasn't high on any of the above.

Story of Whitesides career…

We hear about how well he does in practice and off-season then literally throws up weekly donuts on the box score 

25 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Story of Whitesides career…

We hear about how well he does in practice and off-season then literally throws up weekly donuts on the box score 

Yep ... clearly the reason we "lost."

13 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

Serious question, what other Eagles pick at this position has been as bad as this bum?

Only other name that comes to mind is Billy McMullen, 3rd round pick.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:59 PM, philafan4o8 said:

Lol give it some time. Anything can happen in this league. Everyone points out specific picks like Whiteside (who is indeed trash) and Reagor (jury is still out on). Yet no one talk about how Taters loved Dillard, Derek Barnett and Sidney Jones when they were drafted.

That's not true, especially with regard to Barnett.          I watched his entire college career and will always love him as a VFL, but said at the time that I always saw him as a late 1st / 2nd type of player whose ceiling was as a solid rotation DE and a great locker room guy.          The 15th pick in the draft needs to be an impact player, and Barnett was never going to be that.           A lot of people on here felt the same, and saw it for what it was - the 'safe' pick that wouldn't be a disaster, but would never offer the upside that a mid 1st pick needs to offer.

4 minutes ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

Only other name that comes to mind is Billy McMullen, 3rd round pick.

Nope, JJ hasn't even caught up to McMullen stats wise either lol

On 8/18/2021 at 3:24 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm not sure where this narrative comes from?? Howie has cut 1st and 2nd round players after 1-3 years plenty of times. 

It absolutely sucks that we have to keep cutting 1st and 2nd picks and it shouldn't have to happen so often but, to pretend  Howie won't  cut guys because of where they were drafted is false. 

They should be trying to get something out of these guys and in most cases you have to at least give them 2 -3 yrs especially when they were drafted so high.

That being said he does cut guys after 2 yrs. And JJ definitely needs to go

Who are the 1st and 2nd round picks Howie cut in a year? Heck even Smith got three. He only dumps them when it’s cost effective not cause they can’t play. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Who are the 1st and 2nd round picks Howie cut in a year? Heck even Smith got three. He only dumps them when it’s cost effective not cause they can’t play. 

Good question.  Most teams don't get rid of 1st or 2nd round picks that quickly so it's not really a good measure.  But it can happen.  He did say 1-3 years, 3 years is a huge difference than 1 year in the NFL.  Looking back at the draft history:

• Eric Rowe, 2nd round:  traded after 1 season.
  • Marcus Smith, 1st round: lasted 3 seasons. 
  • Sidney Jones, 2nd round: lasted 3 seasons (of course he say most of rookie year with injury)

I think it's more relevant to say which 1st and 2nd rounders last long enough on the team to get a 2nd contract, meaning they are still important contributors to the team.

Still here: Lane Johnson, Ertz, Barnett.  Ertz likely gone after this year, Lane we'll see how his injuries hold up.  I'd like him to retire an Eagle.

Gone: Marcus Smith, Matthews, Rowe, Agholor, Wentz, Sidney Jones.  Soon to be JJLOL, maybe Dillard

JJAW was targeted once but no catch yesterday game.  Poor showing of the overall offense for sure.  But JJAW did not seem to be in the plan at all, not even to highlight him to other teams.  Do not look good.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Good question.  Most teams don't get rid of 1st or 2nd round picks that quickly so it's not really a good measure.  But it can happen.  He did say 1-3 years, 3 years is a huge difference than 1 year in the NFL.  Looking back at the draft history:

• Sidney Jones, 2nd round: lasted 3 seasons (of course he say most of rookie year with injury)

I think it's more relevant to say which 1st and 2nd rounders last long enough on the team to get a 2nd contract, meaning they are still important contributors to the team.

Still here: Lane Johnson, Ertz, Barnett.  Ertz likely gone after this year, Lane we'll see how his injuries hold up.  I'd like him to retire an Eagle.

Gone: Marcus Smith, Matthews, Rowe, Agholor, Wentz, Sidney Jones.  Soon to be JJLOL, maybe Dillard

According to articles Howie had had full control since 2010. So jawuan Jarrett was included in there as well. 

1 minute ago, Penn7980 said:

JJAW was targeted once but no catch yesterday game.  Poor showing of the overall offense for sure.  But JJAW did not seem to be in the plan at all, not even to highlight him to other teams.  Do not look good.

Can't highlight a receiver that can't get open or catch in preseason

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

According to articles Howie had had full control since 2010. So jawuan Jarrett was included in there as well. 

Howie got an exec title in 2010, but Reid was still VP of Football Operations and calling the shots in the draft.  In 2012 (the year after the Dream Team fiasco that Howie pulled), Lurie had Howie "streamline" the draft board process.  Whatever that means, but Reid was still picking the players.  Howie's first real draft in charge was 2013.  I've argued that the higher the pick, the less chance of him screwing it up because it should be more obvious who to take.  The #4 pick resulted in Lane Johnson, then in the 2nd round Ertz.  2 great picks.  After that, not so much.

41 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Howie got an exec title in 2010, but Reid was still VP of Football Operations and calling the shots in the draft.  In 2012 (the year after the Dream Team fiasco that Howie pulled), Lurie had Howie "streamline" the draft board process.  Whatever that means, but Reid was still picking the players.  Howie's first real draft in charge was 2013.  I've argued that the higher the pick, the less chance of him screwing it up because it should be more obvious who to take.  The #4 pick resulted in Lane Johnson, then in the 2nd round Ertz.  2 great picks.  After that, not so much.

Well they are counting back to 2010. I have no problem blaming him even longer

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Was Rowe actually his pick or Chip Kelly’s? Interesting cause Rowe showed more promise than Jones did. 

19 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Was Rowe actually his pick or Chip Kelly’s? Interesting cause Rowe showed more promise than Jones did. 

Would of been Chip since it was the 2015 season. Then the following year supposedly Schwartz had a problem with him and traded him during that first off season for Doug and Jim

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Oh that's right. Chip's one year blunder as GM.

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Would of been Chip since it was the 2015 season. Then the following year supposedly Schwartz had a problem with him and traded him during that first off season for Doug and Jim

Rowe gave the Eagles more than what JJAW has so far. Somehow JJAW is still on the roster though.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Rowe gave the Eagles more than what JJAW has so far. Somehow JJAW is still on the roster though.

Might be a little tougher to get rid off JJ if the rumors of Lurie wanting him are true

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Might be a little tougher to get rid off JJ if the rumors of Lurie wanting him are true

Overall we see though Howie had no problem dumping Chip’s pick after a year, but his guys tend to stick around longer. 

On 8/19/2021 at 9:41 PM, brkmsn said:

Yep ... clearly the reason we "lost."

You must be responding to the wrong post Mr. Whiteside. I said nothing about the lost. I talked about the weekly donuts that keep showing up under receptions. Delete your burner account from this board and stop posting videos of yourself on this board of getting "open.”

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hell Josh Perkins gave us more than this scrub and he Can’t buy a roster spot

15 hours ago, mjkvol said:

That's not true, especially with regard to Barnett.          I watched his entire college career and will always love him as a VFL, but said at the time that I always saw him as a late 1st / 2nd type of player whose ceiling was as a solid rotation DE and a great locker room guy.          The 15th pick in the draft needs to be an impact player, and Barnett was never going to be that.           A lot of people on here felt the same, and saw it for what it was - the 'safe' pick that wouldn't be a disaster, but would never offer the upside that a mid 1st pick needs to offer.

My point is that we act like the board is 100% with drafts. We are not. There were a few bums we drafted that the board loved. I wish that Whiteside topic was still up when we drafted him. There were very few of us that saw him for what he was…a bum.

9 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

You must be responding to the wrong post Mr. Whiteside. I said nothing about the lost. I talked about the weekly donuts that keep showing up under receptions. Delete your burner account from this board and stop posting videos of yourself on this board of getting "open.”

Yeah, and I sarcastically responded, pointing out that our WRs didn't even get a chance to be the problem Thursday with the combination of terrible QB play and a defense that stayed on the field  for 10 minutes at a time. 

There's a very real chance JJAW won't make this team this year. I have 5 WRs on the roster ranked ahead of him. I don't know how he's done so far this summer to win a job. The 2 preseason games haven't given him anything to add to his case to make the team. 

I've been posting on the EMB since our (own) posts were in red italics. JJAW was probably 3 years old when I joined. I've been a part of a few cliques over the years. I'm sorry your feelings may have been hurt when I rejected the invitation to join your "JJAW is satan" clique. People wanted to exaggerate the bad parts of his game and I went against the grain to keep things honest. People turned on me for not helping them pile on with their irrational hate. You can go back and search all my posts and you won't find a single one where I even said he's a good WR. All I've done is argue against  some talking point claims (like: "he never gets open,"  "Can't get separation," etc...) I would love to see us get something out of our 2nd round investment, But if we have guys on the roster that are better, I couldn't care less if he makes the team. I don't need him to fail or succeed to gain personal validation. As long as he is an Eagle, though, I will be rooting for him to succeed.

Archived