Reagor over Jefferson

Philthy Jawn

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Question to all of you:

If you knew in advance that the following WRs would perform like they have (we're only talking about NFL performance and not off-field issues for this case) which of these 2 WRs do you pick?

Tyreek Hill or Amari Cooper?

Hill.  Never like Amari Cooper.  Has to may issues with drops.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Just another example (on a long list) of Howie thinking he is smarter than everyone else.  

Howie has no overall plan to build a roster.  He drafted JJAW because he thought he was Jeffrey 2.0, drafted Reagor to be Jackson 2.0.  He was focused on speed so he drafted 3 speed WRs and didn't want any of the other receivers.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm I'm not so sure. Sometimes you pick a guy with real upside that's got the tools but needs some development and coaching. 

Well people cried when we took guys just based off of being productive in college and never pick the guy who had the athletic ability with a higher ceiling. Which was the pissing and moaning about the Whiteside pick over Metcalf, college production over athletic ability. 

This year they take guys with athletic ability and higher ceiling but, not so great college production and now everyone is pissing and moaning that we should take the guy who had a productive college career over a project. Even if he has a higher upside. 

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Off target my arse, in cases like that you lay the ball out there and leave it up the the WR to go get it.

Had ne not been running 3/4 speed he would have easily caught up to that ball......that's assuming he wasn't running full speed. 

It's clear to me that you as well as many others on this board have never played a down of football in your lives.

Here's the play at 7:49of the video:

Reagor has a step, get that ball on target and it's probably a TD. Throw it 5 yards wide of the route and end up with an "almost."

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

If he's afraid of getting hit maybe he should have pursued Synchronized Swimming or something.

I’m going to safely assume someone like you has gotten hit plenty of times in their life. 

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Off target my arse, in cases like that you lay the ball out there and leave it up the the WR to go get it.

Had ne not been running 3/4 speed he would have easily caught up to that ball......that's assuming he wasn't running full speed. 

It's clear to me that you as well as many others on this board have never played a down of football in your lives.

Relax there Al Bundy. We know, we know. 4 TDs in a game for Polk High. 

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Reagor has a step, get that ball on target and it's probably a TD. Throw it 5 yards wide of the route and end up with an "almost."

That was a really good video, thank you!

21 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Relax there Al Bundy. We know, we know. 4 TDs in a game for Polk High. 

:roll:

On 12/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, brkmsn said:

He had more then a step he burned his ass across the field

22 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I have zero doubt Reagor will be a major weapon in this offense. That was a knuckle length away from a TD. And the more these two get to play together, the better. F’ing sit Ertz. Sit Alshon. I don’t want to see any skill players on the field not named Sanders, Scott, Goedert (ok Ertz can be TE2 lol), Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower, Watkins, Ward and yes even Whiteside. I want to miss making the playoffs and get these young guys some experience which they desperately need. Other than Reagor, none of these other WR spots should be guaranteed. Everyone is competing. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I have zero doubt Reagor will be a major weapon in this offense. That was a knuckle length away from a TD. And the more these two get to play together, the better. F’ing sit Ertz. Sit Alshon. I don’t want to see any skill players on the field not named Sanders, Scott, Goedert (ok Ertz can be TE2 lol), Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower, Watkins, Ward and yes even Whiteside. I want to miss making the playoffs and get these young guys some experience which they desperately need. Other than Reagor, none of these other WR spots should be guaranteed. Everyone is competing. 

Completely agree, time to see what we have moving forward

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah he hit another gear when he started tracking the ball... bad pass for sure... looked like a corner post turned into a corner in because of the misfire.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, brkmsn said:

It was about a foot off target, not 5 yards.   Throws that deep need to be thrown in front of the receiver.  It's not a slant where you have the benefit of a short distance and you can laser it right to him.

At that distance, if you throw it at (or barely in front of the receiver) the DB will close the distance while the ball is in the air....so you always throw it front of the receiver and lead him. 

That was a very close play and had the ball been about a foot closer, likely a TD. 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well people cried when we took guys just based off of being productive in college and never pick the guy who had the athletic ability with a higher ceiling. Which was the pissing and moaning about the Whiteside pick over Metcalf, college production over athletic ability. 

This year they take guys with athletic ability and higher ceiling but, not so great college production and now everyone is pissing and moaning that we should take the guy who had a productive college career over a project. Even if he has a higher upside. 

when are you going to learn we are a very self contradictory fan base and we are never satisfied... its always something, and thats the way I like it 😉

On 12/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Metcalf looked like a work out warrior. I had no idea who Whiteside was though.  FO You Fd up :D I'll eat crow on Justin Jefferson. Didn't think he had it in him. But then again it's not my job to get these right.So FO YOU Fd up 2: Electric Boogaloo :D

44 minutes ago, judunno said:

Metcalf looked like a work out warrior. I had no idea who Whiteside was though.  FO You Fd up :D I'll eat crow on Justin Jefferson. Didn't think he had it in him. But then again it's not my job to get these right.So FO YOU Fd up 2: Electric Boogaloo :D

Hey I didn't say they made the right pick just saying these people can't make up their minds lol

9 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

It was about a foot off target, not 5 yards.   Throws that deep need to be thrown in front of the receiver.  It's not a slant where you have the benefit of a short distance and you can laser it right to him.

At that distance, if you throw it at (or barely in front of the receiver) the DB will close the distance while the ball is in the air....so you always throw it front of the receiver and lead him. 

That was a very close play and had the ball been about a foot closer, likely a TD. 

It's a post route, not a deep out. The receiver should never be running perpendicular to the sideline. Reagor already had a step and if you lead him in his route, it's a safe throw and a TD (if he catches it). But this pass sails wide (yes by 5 yards) and Reagor has to adjust off his route at the end to track it. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's a post route, not a deep out. The receiver should never be running perpendicular to the sideline. Reagor already had a step and if you lead him in his route, it's a safe throw and a TD (if he catches it). But this pass sails wide (yes by 5 yards) and Reagor has to adjust off his route at the end to track it. 

It was a deep post route.  Hurts had to throw the ball 50+ yards in the air.  (He was at his own 27 and had to get to the Saints 27, on an angle, across the field)

He didn't miss by much, less than a yard.  (Nowhere near 5 yards).  Reagor made a slight adjustment to get underneath it but that's to be expected on such a deep post. 

The Eagles were on their own 35 yard line and Reagor didn't break in until the Saint's 40 yardline...25 yards from the line of scrimmage. (That's a very deep post.  Either that or Reagor may have broken inside late)  Regardless, his route worked because he was open and he adjusted to the sideline. (Likely where he would have been had he broken inside earlier.)

I've watched the play about a dozen times or more by now.  He actually either tips the ball or almost tips it with his right hand when he extends it.  About a 1/2 yard closer it would have been a catch.

Watch it here, fast forward to 4 minutes:

I hope they run it again.  Based on the same coverage, I forsee Reagor being open more times than not on that play. 

50 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

It was a deep post route.  Hurts had to throw the ball 50+ yards in the air.  (He was at his own 27 and had to get to the Saints 27, on an angle, across the field)

He didn't miss by much, less than a yard.  (Nowhere near 5 yards).  Reagor made a slight adjustment to get underneath it but that's to be expected on such a deep post. 

The Eagles were on their own 35 yard line and Reagor didn't break in until the Saint's 40 yardline...25 yards from the line of scrimmage. (That's a very deep post.  Either that or Reagor may have broken inside late)  Regardless, his route worked because he was open.   

I've watched the play about a dozen times or more by now.  He actually either tips the ball or almost tips it with his right hand when he extends it.  About a 1/2 yard closer it would have been a catch.

Watch it here, fast forward to 4 minutes:

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying they missed the completion by 5 yards. I'm saying that pass was 5 yards to the left of where it was supposed to be in relation to the receiver's route. Reagor had to adjust and run all out toward the sideline to get as close as he did. Had he caught it, his momentum would have taken him out of bounds. Had the pass been where it was supposed to be (and caught), it would have been a TD. 

FYI, I'm not being critical about the play. The whole point of this argument was Reagor's speed. EagleVA claims the problem was that Reagor was too slow to catch a catchable pass (that he claims was on target). I'm merely pointing out that it was far from on target and the incompletion had nothing to do with Reagor's speed. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying they missed the completion by 5 yards. I'm saying that pass was 5 yards to the left of where it was supposed to be in relation to the receiver's route. Reagor had to adjust and run all out toward the sideline to get as close as he did. Had he caught it, his momentum would have taken him out of bounds. Had the pass been where it was supposed to be (and caught), it would have been a TD. 

Yeah, maybe a few yards inside.   I wonder if that's how it was designed or if Reagor really did break late.  (a 45 yard post route, lol)  Anyway, if they get their timing down, I hope they run it again. Reagor should be open "most of the time" if it's similar coverage.  

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Had the pass been where it was supposed to be (and caught), it would have been a TD.

Do you have some insider information? How do you know where the pass was supposed to be?

23 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah, maybe a few yards inside.   I wonder if that's how it was designed or if Reagor really did break late.  (a 45 yard post route, lol)  Anyway, if they get their timing down, I hope they run it again. Reagor should be open "most of the time" if it's similar coverage.  

What I didn't like about the play is that the QB rolls out to the right and then since it's a deep route, he has to throw back across the field. It becomes a much more difficult throw  and gives defenders more time to make a play on a bad throw (if the pass were late toward the inside). Obviously in this case the throw was outside --- too far for Reagor to get it, but it fell harmlessly incomplete. 

17 hours ago, Perforator said:

Do you have some insider information? How do you know where the pass was supposed to be?

route tree

There's a reason why that pass fell incomplete and it had nothing to do with Reagor's speed. A post route simply doesn't turn into an out route by design. Reagor had to break off his route and try to run down the pass which was way too far outside.

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

What I didn't like about the play is that the QB rolls out to the right and then since it's a deep route, he has to throw back across the field. It becomes a much more difficult throw  and gives defenders more time to make a play on a bad throw (if the pass were late toward the inside). Obviously in this case the throw was outside --- too far for Reagor to get it, but it fell harmlessly incomplete. 

route tree

There's a reason why that pass fell incomplete and it had nothing to do with Reagor's speed. A post route simply doesn't turn into an out route by design. Reagor had to break off his route and try to run down the pass which was way too far outside.

That's a great picture but you have no idea what he was SUPPOSED to run. We've already seen him running wrong routes in previous games.

3 hours ago, Perforator said:

That's a great picture but you have no idea what he was SUPPOSED to run. We've already seen him running wrong routes in previous games.

All the evidence is there. Reagor was running a post route. The pass was thrown way too far to the outside. Reagor tracked the ball (one of his strengths coming out of college) and broke off the route in an effort to make the completion and big gain. Reagor and Hurts came up short on the play. Technically, the fault goes to the QB for leading the receiver too far in a direction. I really have no idea what you are trying to argue exactly. Are you backing up EagleVA's claim that the play resulted in an incompletion because either Reagor was running at 3/4 speed or he's just slow?

https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/topic/1997-reagor-over-jefferson/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-326635

All I'm doing is looking at the video and watching what happens. I'm not trying to twist it into a pathetic narrative (Reagor is slow) like EagleVA. If anything, his speed is evident on the play. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4HszvO1Rd0

Thomas R. Petersen points out in the video that Hurts is reacting to the deep safety (before he falls down) when placing the throw where he does. That may (and should) be true. The throw was still too far outside. I believe combined with rolling out to the right, it made the difficulty of the throw harder.  These things happen all the time in football.

Watching that NO-Minny game last night made me want to puke knowing we had Jefferson right there for the taking and idiot Howie passes on him.  Minny must have been like, WTF is this really happening?!?!  It wasn't a case of Lamb being snatched up a few picks before ours (understandable).  

Archived