Reagor over Jefferson

Philthy Jawn

I hated last year's draft. That is when I officially said "fire Howie." Not taking Jefferson over Reagor and taking Hurts with the 2nd pick when other players who fit the Eagles needs were right there for the taking- unforgivable. My Howie supporting days ended right there.

I was upset that they didn't take P.Queen or K.Murray in the first round but had resigned myself to Jefferson. Howie still messed that up.

5 minutes ago, kentwo said:

I was upset that they didn't take P.Queen or K.Murray in the first round but had resigned myself to Jefferson. Howie still messed that up.

I never thought they'd take a 1st round LB but I liked those picks.  

47 minutes ago, kentwo said:

I heard that Murray is struggling with the Chargers.  

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

taking Hurts with the 2nd pick when other players who fit the Eagles needs were right there for the taking- unforgivable. My Howie supporting days ended right there.

It came out last week that Jeremy Chinn was higher on the Eagles draft board, and then an executive decision was make to take Hurst instead.

Then Chinn has 2 fumble return TD's 3 days later.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I never thought they'd take a 1st round LB but I liked those picks.  

Neither did I, but had hope Howie would finally change.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It came out last week that Jeremy Chinn was higher on the Eagles draft board, and then an executive decision was make to take Hurst instead.

Then Chinn has 2 fumble return TD's 3 days later.

Yes, there have been two significant leaks  First, the scouting department had lobbied for Chin but Howie overruled them and campaigned hard for Hurts instead, convincing Lurie to sign off on it.  Second, the scouting department had campaigned hard for Jefferson over Reagor, but Howie overruled them as well, and went for what he thought was greater speed.  For these two mistakes alone, Howie may lose his job.

And this raises questions if there is really a problem or not with our scouting.  I don't know if anyone remembers, but there have been leaks that Carson's camp was loudly vocal in favor JJAW, and went directly to Lurie about it through the qb.  

48 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I heard that Murray is struggling with the Chargers.  

Haven't kept track since the first few weeks, but he started the year strong.

Here's a quote in October:

"Despite the outcome, there was a bright spot for defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s unit, with that being rookie linebacker Kenneth Murray.

Murray was stout against the run, amassing 10 tackles on the afternoon. Along with that, he held his own in coverage, only allowing less than 25 yards on five targets.

Murray, the team’s first-round pick, has been a refreshing addition to the linebacker group and defense as a whole. He has embraced his role as the MIKE linebacker and has done a fine job picking up the slack in the absence of Drue Tranquill.

Through four games, Murray has 33 tackles while playing 97% of the defensive snaps. According to Pro Football Focus, he is the third-best rookie linebacker.

He isn’t perfect by any means, as he still has overaggressive tendencies which can lead to him not making heads up tackles and over-pursue shifty running backs. But the flashes are legit and Murray will only get better with more reps."

5 minutes ago, kentwo said:

Haven't kept track since the first few weeks, but he started the year strong.

Here's a quote in October:

"Despite the outcome, there was a bright spot for defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s unit, with that being rookie linebacker Kenneth Murray.

Murray was stout against the run, amassing 10 tackles on the afternoon. Along with that, he held his own in coverage, only allowing less than 25 yards on five targets.

Murray, the team’s first-round pick, has been a refreshing addition to the linebacker group and defense as a whole. He has embraced his role as the MIKE linebacker and has done a fine job picking up the slack in the absence of Drue Tranquill.

Through four games, Murray has 33 tackles while playing 97% of the defensive snaps. According to Pro Football Focus, he is the third-best rookie linebacker.

He isn’t perfect by any means, as he still has overaggressive tendencies which can lead to him not making heads up tackles and over-pursue shifty running backs. But the flashes are legit and Murray will only get better with more reps."

I heard a week ago he was benched. I forget who said it. It might have been Caplan. I'm not sure. 

5 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Yes, there have been two significant leaks  First, the scouting department had lobbied for Chin but Howie overruled them and campaigned hard for Hurts instead, convincing Lurie to sign off on it.  Second, the scouting department had campaigned hard for Jefferson over Reagor, but Howie overruled them as well, and went for what he thought was greater speed.  For these two mistakes alone, Howie may lose his job.

And this raises questions if there is really a problem or not with our scouting.  I don't know if anyone remembers, but there have been leaks that Carson's camp was loudly vocal in favor JJAW, and went directly to Lurie about it through the qb.  

A QB's "camp" trying to dictate second round draft targets? IDK, that sounds really far-fetched to me. You have any source for that?

1 minute ago, Kz! said:

A QB's "camp" trying to dictate second round draft targets? IDK, that sounds really far-fetched to me. You have any source for that?

I'm trying to find the links, but this has come up several times.  JJAW and Carson do share mutual contact--including Carson's back-up and close friend--and I think Carson's management agency, from what I heard, had scouted JJ and was eager to represent him.   This is all from memory.

15 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I heard a week ago he was benched. I forget who said it. It might have been Caplan. I'm not sure. 

Yea, I saw that when I was looking him up. Seems like he was benched over communication issues not necessarily production (like Gerry should be.)

Murray returned as the starter and hadn’t looked back until late in the second quarter of Sunday’s game against the Las Vegas Raiders. Murray was benched briefly because of communication issues, as the Raiders punished the Chargers’ rushing defense.

4 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I'm trying to find the links, but this has come up several times.  JJAW and Carson do share mutual contact--including Carson's back-up and close friend--and I think Carson's management agency, from what I heard, had scouted JJ and was eager to represent him.   This is all from memory.

Gotcha, I was going to say that unless there was some underlying connection between the two, it sounds completely made up. Them having a mutual contact makes it much more plausible in my mind. If true, the joke is on Carson, I guess. 

Dear Lord,

Please, Please dont make this another DK Metcalf type regret thread.. Pleaseeee

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/justin-jefferson-seattle-seahawks-dk-metcalf/

Without Thielan and Cooks, Jefferson still had a monster game.  I am so pissed about this eff-up:

"

"The Vikings, missing Adam Thielen on Sunday, were without the league’s leader in receiving touchdowns (10) entering Week 11. Thielen had caught 7 of his touchdowns from inside the red zone, which had been the more pressing concern for how Minnesota would score inside the 20-yard line.

Instead, Jefferson further asserted his versatility in the No. 1 wide receiver role, catching both of his touchdown passes from 10 and 12 yards out as the rookie created space and converted in the red zone. He finished the game with 7 catches for 70 yards."

On 12/3/2020 at 4:23 AM, Jeep_man said:

Dear Lord,

Please, Please dont make this another DK Metcalf type regret thread.. Pleaseeee

Why?  Is it better to bury our heads in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong?  Do you know how disastrous passing on both Metcalf and Jefferson could shape up to be?  These mistakes--as well as passing up on Chin in favor of Hurts--are the types of disasters that can set franchises back by years.

If we have to draft a WR again yet again in the offseason because Reagor has been so lacking, then that means yet another year of not drafting a blue-chip defensive player.  

And frankly, I'll never get drafting potential talent (Reagor) over established talent (Jefferson).  It was so obvious by the end of last season that Wentz needed immediate help at WR.  And what do we do?  Draft someone who is something more approaching a project than a plug-and-play receiver.  It boggles the mind.

52 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

And frankly, I'll never get drafting potential talent (Reagor) over established talent (Jefferson).  It was so obvious by the end of last season that Wentz needed immediate help at WR.  And what do we do?  Draft someone who is something more approaching a project than a plug-and-play receiver.  It boggles the mind.

And all of your points are absolutely valid and are good points. But what makes you think that Jefferson would be doing well if we had drafted him? We don't know if Moorehead is a good WR coach or not. The offense is a mess, Wentz is a mess, the play calling has been poor. I know Minnesota isn't exactly pulling up trees but they are at least more functional than we are. 

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And all of your points are absolutely valid and are good points. But what makes you think that Jefferson would be doing well if we had drafted him?

Jefferson, being the more polished and NFL ready receiver would run the correct routes therefore have more chances to catch the ball.

Look at ceedee lamb. Was playing really well with dak, and now hasn't been doing ish. What a coincidence that when he doesn't have a competent QB he doesn't seem to do as well. Does ceedee lamb suck now? Should the cowboys have taken jefferson too?

https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/not-picking-jefferson-causing-rift-in-eagles-organization

"While it is not technically "classy” to gloat when something like this happens, keep in mind that Eagles fans literally threw unopened cans of beer at Vikings fans during the aforementioned NFC ‘Ship in 2017.

So, instead of taking a high road over a city that’s main export is stabbing, let us celebrate that their team is struggling to stay relevant in a division that is the COVID of divisions as people like that don’t respond to the high road by putting down their cheesesteaks and saying "Wow, that guy I threw that cheap beer at showed me by not responding”. Instead, they interpret the high road as them winning.

So. Enjoy your cadre of bad picks, heart-clogging food and armpit of the East Coast status. We’ll just enjoy of our high road status (you know, by being this far from Philly), Jefferson, and your 5-11 divisional champ."

Good to see the vikings fans are no longer butthurt about the SB 😄

heart-clogging food < This was my favorite line 🤭

It is just easier to blame this all on Wentz and Pederson rather than recognize the fact that we might have a dire situation at WR yet again in this franchise's history?

Because I don't think you can blame Wentz and Pederson for Reagor's poor route-running, drops, and lack of separation.  

3 hours ago, Perforator said:

Jefferson, being the more polished and NFL ready receiver would run the correct routes therefore have more chances to catch the ball.

But you can run the correct routes but if the QB keeps missing you then you aren't going to have much joy.

After JJAW this is a fireable offense 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But you can run the correct routes but if the QB keeps missing you then you aren't going to have much joy.

But some of those misses could be because the WR is running the wrong routes or not getting separation. 

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

But some of those misses could be because the WR is running the wrong routes or not getting separation. 

Bingo.

Archived