Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

After watching Hurts a lot at OU, he isn't going to carry this team any further than Wentz will.  The belief that he is the "next big thing" will end up with the same, old Philadelphia disappointment.  Let's let him play and get that process over with now. 

I don't disagree with you. I think Hurts looked good yesterday but we have to be cognisant of the situation. We were down more than 2 scores when he came in, GB were very likely in prevent defense at that point and so we need more time to assess him. 

He brought life to an offense that had none. I liked that. He moved around, he found targets and overall I thought he played well. Certainly it was nice to see a different approach. Wentz is cooked at this point, there's no benefit to him playing next week or the week after. Let's sit him for the rest of the year and determine what we might have in Hurts. 

This team is likely going to be picking in the top 5 which means they have to do their due diligence on the QBs.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz is cooked at this point, there's no benefit to him playing next week or the week after.

We need losses so there is a benefit in playing Wentz, I think we should keep him on the field.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

We need losses so there is a benefit in playing Wentz, I think we should keep him on the field.

I don't think Hurts will turn that around bud. He may inject life but this team is a bad team in many areas. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think Hurts will turn that around bud. He may inject life but this team is a bad team in many areas. 

We're talking probabilities, based on what I've saw from Hurts yesterday the Eagles have a higher probability of winning with Hurts in there..........not what we want.

Just now, EagleVA said:

We're talking probabilities, based on what I've saw from Hurts yesterday the Eagles have a higher probability of winning with Hurts in there..........not what we want.

They probably do yes certainly against Dallas and Washington. But we also have to see what we have in Hurts because we may be in a spot to take a QB early. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They probably do yes certainly against Dallas and Washington. But we also have to see what we have in Hurts because we may be in a spot to take a QB early. 

I for one haven't completely given up on Wentz, I believe if he dedicates himself to becoming a student of the game during the offseason he can improve.

I honestly believe coaching and the talent Wentz is surrounded with has more to do with his horrible play than his ability to perform, examples of this include Brady and Tannehill from opposite perspectives, bad to good and good to bad.

Lastly, if we have to take a QB early you want either the Clemson or Ohio State QBs and we're going to need losses to get them.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

I for one haven't completely given up on Wentz, I believe if he dedicates himself to becoming a student of the game during the offseason he can improve.

I honestly believe coaching and the talent Wentz is surrounded with has more to do with his horrible play than his ability to perform, examples of this include Brady and Tannehill from opposite perspectives, bad to good and good to bad.

Lastly, if we have to take a QB early you want either the Clemson or Ohio State QBs and we're going to need losses to get them.

I just think at this point Wentz needs a fresh start so trading him would probably be best for all. But that isn't going to happen so we best hope that he can turn it around. I just don't see it though, not in this city. I mean there are still fans that are upset that we let Foles go so every bad Wentz game, quarter, drive, pass is going to have fans calling for Hurts. That's an awful lot of pressure for someone to handle week in and week out.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean there are still fans that are upset that we let Foles go so every bad Wentz game, quarter, drive, pass is going to have fans calling for Hurts. That's an awful lot of pressure for someone to handle week in and week out.

Foles, Lawrence, and Fields wouldn't perform much better with the same coaching and supporting cast, the coaching is on Doug and the supporting cast is on Howie, both need to be replaced.

8 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Foles, Lawrence, and Fields wouldn't perform much better with the same coaching and supporting cast, the coaching is on Doug and the supporting cast is on Howie, both need to be replaced.

Well Hurts looked better than Wentz so I'm not sure that's strictly true. 

49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree with you. I think Hurts looked good yesterday but we have to be cognisant of the situation. We were down more than 2 scores when he came in, GB were very likely in prevent defense at that point and so we need more time to assess him. 

He brought life to an offense that had none. I liked that. He moved around, he found targets and overall I thought he played well. Certainly it was nice to see a different approach. Wentz is cooked at this point, there's no benefit to him playing next week or the week after. Let's sit him for the rest of the year and determine what we might have in Hurts. 

This team is likely going to be picking in the top 5 which means they have to do their due diligence on the QBs.

I didn't see anything yesterday other than a different QB taking snaps.  He threw one greatTD pass and used his mobility to run for his life versus taking a few sacks.  Let him play.  Let's get it over with.

And the Eagles aren't chucking another high pick ay a QB.  One of these two guys is the #1 next year.  Wentz will likely be traded and we will be stuck in QB search hell again.

31 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

That's right.  Add that to the fact that Hurts is not as good of a QB as Wentz and we are headed down the same, old pathway.  But, one TD pass definitely tells the whole story.

38 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I didn't see anything yesterday other than a different QB taking snaps.  He threw one greatTD pass and used his mobility to run for his life versus taking a few sacks.  Let him play.  Let's get it over with.

And the Eagles aren't chucking another high pick ay a QB.  One of these two guys is the #1 next year.  Wentz will likely be traded and we will be stuck in QB search hell again.

I saw an offense that barely functioned when Wentz was on the field and an offense that did function when Hurts came in. I saw more life. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I saw an offense that barely functioned when Wentz was on the field and an offense that did function when Hurts came in. I saw more life. 

A little bit, yes.  Under different circumstances, yes.  Lets start him th rest of the way and find out.  The damage is done to Wentz.  He will handle it like a pure professional, but this town won't be able to handle it if he heads back in.  He will succeed elsewhere and we will likely continue the QB search.

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

A little bit, yes.  Under different circumstances, yes.  Lets start him th rest of the way and find out.  The damage is done to Wentz.  He will handle it like a pure professional, but this town won't be able to handle it if he heads back in.  He will succeed elsewhere and we will likely continue the QB search.

And I completely agree with that. I'm not expecting big things from Hurts but I think, as you say, we should stick with him for the rest of the year. Let's see what he can do and let's see if things can improve. Carson needs to sit, playing him does no good at this point. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I completely agree with that. I'm not expecting big things from Hurts but I think, as you say, we should stick with him for the rest of the year. Let's see what he can do and let's see if things can improve. Carson needs to sit, playing him does no good at this point. 

I have such little faith in Hurts long term value after watching him in college that I just want it over with.  He did nothing yesterday that changes that.  He lives with his legs and broken plays and that won't carry us far. I hope I am wrong.  We will see.

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I have such little faith in Hurts long term value after watching him in college that I just want it over with.  He did nothing yesterday that changes that.  He lives with his legs and broken plays and that won't carry us far. I hope I am wrong.  We will see.

And that's completely fair, as I said I don't have high expectations for Hurts so I don't think he's the long term answer. I don't think Wentz is either though which is the issue. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well Hurts looked better than Wentz so I'm not sure that's strictly true. 

I acknowledged weeks ago that Hurts would look a little better because he's a little more mobile than Wentz, it may amount to an additional win here and there but more than the play of the QB is the coaching and and player selections, until that's fixed the Eagles will continue to be garbage, count on it!!

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I acknowledged weeks ago that Hurts would look a little better because he's a little more mobile than Wentz, it may amount to an additional win here and there but more than the play of the QB is the coaching and and player selections, until that's fixed the Eagles will continue to be garbage, count on it!!

Oh I don't expect this team to suddenly turn things around. Things improved when Hurts took over but they still struggled and they still lost pretty handily.

7 hours ago, JohnB said:

not even firing him. Just keep him out of draft decisions 

Nah. He has zero redeeming qualities anymore. Trades, free agency and even contracts. Howie does nothing that isn’t already being done around the league. He needs a complete removal. 

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Nah. He has zero redeeming qualities anymore. Trades, free agency and even contracts. Howie does nothing that isn’t already being done around the league. He needs a complete removal. 

Precisely. We all thought he was really good at handling the cap. Well turns out he's not and also how many GMs around the league are in a huge cap hole year after year? None, most GMs manage the cap absolutely fine. The reality is, Howie managed the cap with his QB on his rookie contract but now of course he's not. 

7 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

You don't get to decide that there bud. I stuck with this team when they had a dog torturer/murderer for a QB. You can have a team and not agree with all the decisions. What I'm looking forward to since we aren't winning that game anyway is seeing all you Wentz haters try to come up with a new scapegoat when we still suck. Should be interesting. Perhaps you will still blame wentz for the way he sits on the bench? And please. Some of you are downright giddy that Wentz is struggling. So don't give me that holier than thou garbage. I'm going to give Hurts the same treatment Carson gets. 

Do you have a room of your house reserved as a Wentz shrine or are you a close relative?

You said "You can have a team and not agree with all the decisions." but I guess that only meant if you disagree about anything but #11.

The Saints defense is good. They're gonna present a huge challenge for whoever starts. I expect the Eagles to lose badly no matter who their QB is.

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Precisely. We all thought he was really good at handling the cap. Well turns out he's not and also how many GMs around the league are in a huge cap hole year after year? None, most GMs manage the cap absolutely fine. The reality is, Howie managed the cap with his QB on his rookie contract but now of course he's not. 

Well drafting crap for the last how many drafts is what caused them to get into cap hell. I'm sure Howie didn't think he would have to keep over paying for aging vets to keep the team afloat. That being said, it's still his fault because he drafted that crap. 

22 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well drafting crap for the last how many drafts is what caused them to get into cap hell. I'm sure Howie didn't think he would have to keep over paying for aging vets to keep the team afloat. That being said, it's still his fault because he drafted that crap. 

Precisely. And ultimately there are 31 other GMs who can all manage the cap so it isn't like Howie is the only one. He's the biggest issue with this team right now, he isn't the only one but he is the biggest issue.

Archived