Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

How did they "fail" to get Lamb when he was taken off the board? You wanted them to trade up? 

I did. I’m not saying a trade was definitely possible, and perhaps they tried. Ok, maybe I used the wrong term in "failed”. But yes to summarise, I really wanted them to try and trade up a few spots to take him. I didn’t think it would have taken too much to do that. 

As an aside, I liked the Raegor pick over Jefferson. So what do I know!

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Muz86 said:

In your opinion is chase a better or worse prospect than ceedee lamb was? I ask as I was more pissed last year about the eagles failing to go get lamb after he fell than I was about the non selection of Jefferson.

Chase is better than every R1 guy taken in 2020

4 hours ago, Muz86 said:

I did. I’m not saying a trade was definitely possible, and perhaps they tried. Ok, maybe I used the wrong term in "failed”. But yes to summarise, I really wanted them to try and trade up a few spots to take him. I didn’t think it would have taken too much to do that. 

As an aside, I liked the Raegor pick over Jefferson. So what do I know!

Well there were both rumors that lamb was "the apple of Rosemans eye" and that he tried to move up.

fwiw I liked Reagor over Jefferson too.

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Chase is the better prospect. Recency bias is clouding people’s judgment. Smith is going to get killed in the pros at his size. He will be a guy who flashes a few games then spends the rest of the games in the rehab room. 

Chase from LSU. Personally if Chase is gone, I’d take Pitts from Florida. He’s a TE but he is too fast for LB/S and too big for CBs to cover. He can also play X. Him R1, Marshall from LSU R2 and you have a young, dynamic offense with a variety of skill sets and are able to move guys around in packages that we’ve never had. 

Smith has special smoothness/slipperiness to him that I don't see him taking a lot of big hits square on in the NFL.  He is freakishly special with his fluid movement. He is just so freaking smooth.  

For me though it is Pitts > Smith > Chase among the receiving options but I think it would be wiser to spend that high pick on a more important position for rebuilding a team.  

Pitts size and ability at that size is elite.  Going up against Metcalf and having us dominate us the past two years I know the Eagles have got to see that and want someone that size who will go up and get a ball.  He isn't as fast as Metcalf, not even close, but he is a better route runner.  

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Smith has special smoothness/slipperiness to him that I don't see him taking a lot of big hits square on in the NFL.  He is freakishly special with his fluid movement. 

For me though it is Pitts > Smith > Chase among the receiving options but I think it would be wiser to spend that high pick on a more important position for rebuilding a team.  

So you would prefer to go o-line or d-line? That high in the draft it would need to be a tackle or can’t miss d-end I would have thought. I do like both mailata and lane, but maybe looking to the future isn’t the worst idea given his recent health. We could probably do with trying to find cox eventual replacement though.

Just now, Muz86 said:

So you would prefer to go o-line or d-line? That high in the draft it would need to be a tackle or can’t miss d-end I would have thought. I do like both mailata and lane, but maybe looking to the future isn’t the worst idea given his recent health. We could probably do with trying to find cox eventual replacement though.

I'd go oline, QB or anything on defense.  I really like the top 2 corners.  

22 minutes ago, Infam said:

Well there were both rumors that lamb was "the apple of Rosemans eye" and that he tried to move up.

fwiw I liked Reagor over Jefferson too.

In that case they did fail then lol. But possible teams ahead of the cowboys had an asking price that was too high.

I still think reagor will turn out ok. Maybe not a true stud receiver, but certainly a starter. I got Jefferson way wrong though, I thought he would just translate to a good slot guy in the nfl.

4 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Smith has special smoothness/slipperiness to him that I don't see him taking a lot of big hits square on in the NFL.  He is freakishly special with his fluid movement. He is just so freaking smooth.  

Pitts size and ability at that size is elite.  Going up against Metcalf and having us dominate us the past two years I know the Eagles have got to see that and want someone that size who will go up and get a ball.  He isn't as fast as Metcalf, not even close, but he is a better route runner.  

Yeah he’ll slip some hits...until the one time he doesn’t and Jamal Adams nails him into next week. I like Pitts a lot too and would be happy with either Chase or Pitts over Smith. 

I'd go oline, QB or anything on defense.  I really like the top 2 corners.  

Outside of Sewell there is no other Olineman who isn’t a reach at 6. If he is somehow there (I don’t think there’s any possible chance he falls past the Bengals) he is the biggest no brainer in this draft after Lawrence. If you get Sewell, then you trade Lane and go young at OT with Mailata, Sewell, Dillard and Driscoll. I do NOT want a QB at 6 either. Hurts deserves a year to try and be the man. He is working his ass off right now and is getting together with the wideouts later this month. He may never be Aaron Rodgers but he has Tom Brady’s work ethic. 

i like Surtain and Farley too, but not at 6. If a Fields is still sitting there, there should be some nice trade down opportunities. Drop down to 8-12, pick up a 2nd rounder and grab Surtain or Farley? Hell yeah I’d be ok with that. 

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Yeah he’ll slip some hits...until the one time he doesn’t and Jamal Adams nails him into next week. I like Pitts a lot too and would be happy with either Chase or Pitts over Smith. 

Jamal Adams? Covering downfield and not getting absolutely torched? What?

2 hours ago, Dice said:

Jamal Adams? Covering downfield and not getting absolutely torched? What?

It’s an example. And is Devonta Smith only running deep routes?  If so then he definitely isn’t my pick at 6. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

It’s an example. And is Devonta Smith only running deep routes?  If so then he definitely isn’t my pick at 6. 

I'm so tired of that "but he doesn't weight enough" argument. Look, that sure is not a plus. But come on, look at his play! Clearly the best WR this year, period.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I'm so tired of that "but he doesn't weight enough" argument. Look, that sure is not a plus. But come on, look at his play! Clearly the best WR this year, period.

Me too! Watch The Slim Reaper highlights from 2020. You can't beat speed, route running, and good hands. 

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

He for sure doesn't only run deep routes. 117 receptions last year and from the games I saw they used him all over the place in the ways they got him the ball. 

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He for sure doesn't only run deep routes. 117 receptions last year and from the games I saw they used him all over the place in the ways they got him the ball. 

I agree.  My point was in the pros if he's running a full route tree, he's gonna be taking hits that he never felt in college.  Look it's my opinion and he may certainly prove me wrong but I take Chase or Pitts over him.

Hurts out there working with a QB guru right now. He’s trying to get better. I can respect a guy trying to improve himself. I don’t know if it will pay off, but I’m rooting for him. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hurts out there working with a QB guru right now. He’s trying to get better. I can respect a guy trying to improve himself. I don’t know if it will pay off, but I’m rooting for him. 

Who is he working with?

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Who is he working with?

Quincy Avery. Deshaun Watson’s personal QB coach. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Quincy Avery. Deshaun Watson’s personal QB coach. 

The Eagles should also send Greg Ward Jr,  Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson over to work with Quincy Avery.

It can't hurt at all if each of those former college running QBs got coached up.  If one of the 3 was lacking in some basic way, mechanics perhaps, and that could be fixed,  they you have a backup QB or better backup QB. 

I can't help but think that one of WR Greg Ward, WR Khalil Tate and TE Tyree Jackson,  all on the Eagles 90, could, with extra coaching,  be good enough to be a backup QB,  someone in the QB room. 

Additionally,  I don't exactly how the workouts with Quincy Avery go, but it wouldn't hurt if Hurts was throwing in the offseason to Ward, Tate and Jackson.   And, although it's obviously far fetched, how about seeing if there were any former rugby players on the roster, and if they're unusually big and fast,   see what they could do in that context?  Oh, 6'8 346 5.12 40 Mailata.  Couldn't hurt, I don't think.  Having a big and fast guy like that with some basic, primitive QB skills wouldn't be bad.    The reality of the situation is that the NFL has much less practice time than they should.  The NFL could have 2 seasons a year in the amount of time they actually use.  What I'm saying more than these guys should be with this specific coach at this specific time, is that these guys should be practicing more in a more structured way.  It generally would be beneficial for all those guys to learn fast.  Khalil Tate was signed as a WR.  He knows nothing about WR,  only QB,  but we've seen players like Pryor become 1000 yard receivers a year after first becoming WRs.   Same thing with Tyree Jackson and TE.  It would be great if the Eagles could somehow give them some solid ideas about what they want them to do now, and how to achieve that.  Generally it seems like it would be a fine idea if those guys were working together.  Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson, I'd think might benefit from working with each other,  each could be throwing, each could be catching. 

1 hour ago, Random Reglar said:

The Eagles should also send Greg Ward Jr,  Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson over to work with Quincy Avery.

It can't hurt at all if each of those former college running QBs got coached up.  If one of the 3 was lacking in some basic way, mechanics perhaps, and that could be fixed,  they you have a backup QB or better backup QB. 

I can't help but think that one of WR Greg Ward, WR Khalil Tate and TE Tyree Jackson,  all on the Eagles 90, could, with extra coaching,  be good enough to be a backup QB,  someone in the QB room. 

Additionally,  I don't exactly how the workouts with Quincy Avery go, but it wouldn't hurt if Hurts was throwing in the offseason to Ward, Tate and Jackson.   And, although it's obviously far fetched, how about seeing if there were any former rugby players on the roster, and if they're unusually big and fast,   see what they could do in that context?  Oh, 6'8 346 5.12 40 Mailata.  Couldn't hurt, I don't think.  Having a big and fast guy like that with some basic, primitive QB skills wouldn't be bad.    The reality of the situation is that the NFL has much less practice time than they should.  The NFL could have 2 seasons a year in the amount of time they actually use.  What I'm saying more than these guys should be with this specific coach at this specific time, is that these guys should be practicing more in a more structured way.  It generally would be beneficial for all those guys to learn fast.  Khalil Tate was signed as a WR.  He knows nothing about WR,  only QB,  but we've seen players like Pryor become 1000 yard receivers a year after first becoming WRs.   Same thing with Tyree Jackson and TE.  It would be great if the Eagles could somehow give them some solid ideas about what they want them to do now, and how to achieve that.  Generally it seems like it would be a fine idea if those guys were working together.  Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson, I'd think might benefit from working with each other,  each could be throwing, each could be catching. 

I'm sick and tired of everyone around here talking about nothing but Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson all the time.

14 hours ago, Infam said:

Lol these same people that say this think highly of the SEC yet one of the best WRs to come from the conference and they say he doesn’t weigh enough... smith will be a stud 

14 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Alabama in 2018 had a better roster than NFL teams at the skill positions.

QB - Jalen Hurts,  Tua, Mac Jones
WR - Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs,  Waddle, Devonta Smith
TE - Irv Smith
RB - Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, Najee Harris

QB - 2 likely 1sts,  1 2nd
WR - 2 1sts, 2 likely 1sts
TE - 1 2nd
RB - 1 1st, 1 3rd 1 likely 1/2

Does  Jalen Hurts have a liking for Smith?  It's hard to tell which ones are the best when they're all first and 2nd round picks,  before 2018,  Hurts was throwing to Calvin Ripley and OJ Howard.

I'm sick and tired of everyone around here talking about nothing but Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson all the time.

That is great, I will have actual people to talk about Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson to?

You will be so very fortunate to hear me talk endlessly about Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson.  They are, after all, on the Eagles 90, they are Eagles.  And they're WR and TE, and the Eagles have been cutting some WRs ,and others might go, and a TE might go.  And the Eagles don't have a tremendous amount of cap room,   they're worthy of discussion. 

I'd become annoyed by one sentence posts like "don't get cute, take QB from BYU, whatever his name is,  guaranteed franchise QB, they've been saying that on TV for at least 2 months now.  Brought to you by Jet Blue."

I watched Tyree Jackson lead the Bills as QB to 3 TDs in the final 4 minutes of a preseason game, and win.  I thought that come from behind victory should have been enough to get practice squad with the Bills, especially with the 6'7 249 and 4.59 40.  But no,  now he's on the 90 as a TE.  We'll see what happens there.  I would say that you'd want a 6'7 249 TE/WR/QB who is top 5% sparq and a 4.59 40 and a huge arm.    You can watch what Washington did with Logan Thomas at some points,  put Logan in motion,  have him line up under center, and then take the snap and run between the tackles, or just run a normal route.  

18 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

You will be so very fortunate to hear me talk endlessly about Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson.  They are, after all, on the Eagles 90, they are Eagles.  And they're WR and TE, and the Eagles have been cutting some WRs ,and others might go, and a TE might go.  And the Eagles don't have a tremendous amount of cap room,   they're worthy of discussion. 

It is definitely worth a conversation! I mean this coaching staff had a track record in Indy of developing WRs and using them in a way that plays to their strengths.

Archived