Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is definitely worth a conversation! I mean this coaching staff had a track record in Indy of developing WRs and using them in a way that plays to their strengths.

The Eagles in general took college running QB Greg Ward and turned him into the wr with the most catches last year.  I'd argue that if you take a college running QB who you get as a udfa and in a couple of years at low salary,  some practice squad money, you get highest number of catches receiver, I'd say that you got a good return on your investment. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

The Eagles in general took college running QB Greg Ward and turned him into the wr with the most catches last year.  I'd argue that if you take a college running QB who you get as a udfa and in a couple of years at low salary,  some practice squad money, you get highest number of catches receiver, I'd say that you got a good return on your investment. 

Yes and I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you there. Ward has been a good player, he's reliable, makes the catches he should make and is a solid slot receiver. Given he was a former QB and given he was a UDFA that's a good result.

Same people who are trashing Hurts for working his tail off for trying to get better are the same trashcan fans who were kissing Carson’s beanbag while he passive aggressively forced his way out of Philly, while he was duck hunting, and doing absolutely nothing to improve from being the worst quarterback in football last season. Some people are just a sad joke. Just go follow your boy to Indy. I’ll take the guy who wants work hard to get better over the guy who thinks he made it and blames everyone else for his screwups any day. 

51 minutes ago, Infam said:

Living in Atlanta and not being able to see all the Eagles games I appreciate you posting that. I know it was just the "highlights", but to hear some of you talk, I was surprised to see some of the throws he made. Y'all made it sound like he couldn't hit the side of a barn.

I'm a Alabama fan, Falcons fan and Eagles fan. I know that sounds weird to be a Falcons fan and an Eagles fan, but I loved McNabb and when Vick went to play there I followed him and just started following the team from then on.

Am I a homer for Hurts, maybe a little, but I really think ANY rookie needs to be given at least 1 year! He got 4 games. In Atlanta the Falcons never gave Ryan an OL, the only year he had a stable OL was the year he went to SB. Eagles need to build the OL and get a few playmakers. ATL doesn't need a QB anymore than Eagles! 

I also find it funny that people are bashing on Mac Jones because he isn't a mobile QB, but is extremely accurate. Then you have people bashing mobile QBs because they run too much and call them running backs that can throw the ball.

12 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Alabama in 2018 had a better roster than NFL teams at the skill positions.

QB - Jalen Hurts,  Tua, Mac Jones
WR - Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs,  Waddle, Devonta Smith
TE - Irv Smith
RB - Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, Najee Harris

QB - 2 likely 1sts,  1 2nd
WR - 2 1sts, 2 likely 1sts
TE - 1 2nd
RB - 1 1st, 1 3rd 1 likely 1/2

Does  Jalen Hurts have a liking for Smith?  It's hard to tell which ones are the best when they're all first and 2nd round picks,  before 2018,  Hurts was throwing to Calvin Ripley and OJ Howard.

Alabama could probably contend for a SB if you gave all their players the physical and experience maturity of 27 year old players.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Same people who are trashing Hurts for working his tail off for trying to get better are the same trashcan fans who were kissing Carson’s beanbag while he passive aggressively forced his way out of Philly, while he was duck hunting, and doing absolutely nothing to improve from being the worst quarterback in football last season. Some people are just a sad joke. Just go follow your boy to Indy. I’ll take the guy who wants work hard to get better over the guy who thinks he made it and blames everyone else for his screwups any day. 

Who is trashing Hurts for trying to improve?

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Alabama could probably contend for a SB if you gave all their players the physical and experience maturity of 27 year old players.

Have you taken a look at our 2021 draft class, opps Freudian Slip, signing class?  Highest points in a class in the history of Rivals or 24/7. 

55 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Nor have I. 

Yeah. You have been very supportive of Jalen Hurts haven’t you? 🙄

On 2/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, Bamabird said:

Me too! Watch The Slim Reaper highlights from 2020. You can't beat speed, route running, and good hands. 

Isn't that what jalen reagor was drafted for. Feel eagles need some bigger bodies at WR.

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just go follow your boy to Indy. 

That's what I did when Jeffrey (Well, we'll see) Lurie listened to jackarse Gruden use Randall a scapegoat for his ineptness.

I saw every game the Vikes had when Randall went 13-1 as the starter in 1998 and should have made it to the SB if not for a missed chipshot FG by a kicker who hadn't missed all year long.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah. You have been very supportive of Jalen Hurts haven’t you? 🙄

Where has someone bashed Hurts for trying to improve?

2 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Isn't that what jalen reagor was drafted for. Feel eagles need some bigger bodies at WR.

Davonte Smith is light years better than Reagor.    

I saw Reagor play locally at TCU a lot.   I also closely follow North Texas here.   North Texas has a smallish WR named Jaelon Darden that is expected to go in the 3rd or 4th round this year.   I would take Darden straight up over Reagor right now.   Darden has better hands, runs better routes and is more shifty.   Reagor may have top end speed, but I was never impressed with anything else.   He was certainly not a 1st round talent IMO.

I hate the Reagor pick just as much as I did last year.  But, I love Davonte Smith.   He somewhat reminds me of OBJ with his hands.

35 minutes ago, Pliny said:

Davonte Smith is light years better than Reagor.    

I saw Reagor play locally at TCU a lot.   I also closely follow North Texas here.   North Texas has a smallish WR named Jaelon Darden that is expected to go in the 3rd or 4th round this year.   I would take Darden straight up over Reagor right now.   Darden has better hands, runs better routes and is more shifty.   Reagor may have top end speed, but I was never impressed with anything else.   He was certainly not a 1st round talent IMO.

I hate the Reagor pick just as much as I did last year.  But, I love Davonte Smith.   He somewhat reminds me of OBJ with his hands.

Guess I'm more worried about durability. 

3 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Devonta is taller than Chase.  He is slimmer than Chase but I think people think that Chase is a lot bigger than he actually is.  

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Yeah.  I'm not saying that 20 year old players are as good as  24 or 27 year olds, so I'm not saying college teams are better than pro teams,  but yes.

If you took the top teams of college,  the year in, year out ones,  and made them NFL teams,  every Alabama player goes to the Alabama NFL team, and that NFL team is only Alabama players,  that team would be a top NFL team.  And the same thing is true with Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma and maybe a few other teams.

"Was it awkward? Yeah, there’s some awkward times,” he said. "But there’s awkward times in every business when there’s a shift happening. And there were a lot of shifts this year. I’m sure that it could have been awkward for Carson or awkward for the offensive coordinator or the head coach, but certain personality types gravitate toward other personality types and I thought Jalen has a very, very robust personality and people just gravitate to him and he’s just more charismatic. That’s the truth.”

Jason Avant: Jalen Hurts never acted like a backup | RSN (nbcsports.com)

14 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Devonta is taller than Chase.  He is slimmer than Chase but I think people think that Chase is a lot bigger than he actually is.  

There are a few reports that Smith’s height/weight as published by Bama is higher than it actually is. I think he’s about 5’10”-5’11” and about 165 lbs. 

Personally I think there are good receivers in R2-4 this year and would love Pitts in R1. 

Devonta Smith reminds me a bit of Stephon Diggs. I'm cool with either Smith, Chase, or maybe Pitts but I would prefer a WR after the epic fail of getting Reagor last year. I'm already expecting us to get a QB so I won't be as frustrated on draft day, but we really should let Hurts get a year. I have a good feeling about him. I think he'll continue to keep getting better and better and he has some amazing intangibles. 

23 hours ago, Outlaw said:

There are a few reports that Smith’s height/weight as published by Bama is higher than it actually is. I think he’s about 5’10”-5’11” and about 165 lbs. 

Personally I think there are good receivers in R2-4 this year and would love Pitts in R1. 

Every college program plays around with what a player really weights and how tall they really are.

If that player is a little too heavy, the program lists him lighter. If the player is a little too light, they list him heavier. The same is true with height.

The Bama program has tried to get weight on Smith, but he has such a high metabolism it has been difficult. He has built a lot of muscle mass since he was a freshman, but you don't want too muscle mass of you lose your speed and flexibility. Smith has taken some really big hits at Bama, when someone can catch him, and never been seriously injured. He got injured in NCG because he got hit weird and broke a finger.

I think Chase or Smith would be great for Hurts. My concern is how are these players going to perform after sitting out a year, Newman sat a year and was a disaster as the Senior Bowl. You can't deny that playing a year will have tremendous benefits over sitting a year. You have to ask yourself, how long will it take for the player who sat to catch up with the players who played?

35 minutes ago, Bamabird said:

Every college program plays around with what a player really weights and how tall they really are.

If that player is a little too heavy, the program lists him lighter. If the player is a little too light, they list him heavier. The same is true with height.

The Bama program has tried to get weight on Smith, but he has such a high metabolism it has been difficult. He has built a lot of muscle mass since he was a freshman, but you don't want too muscle mass of you lose your speed and flexibility. Smith has taken some really big hits at Bama, when someone can catch him, and never been seriously injured. He got injured in NCG because he got hit weird and broke a finger.

I think Chase or Smith would be great for Hurts. My concern is how are these players going to perform after sitting out a year, Newman sat a year and was a disaster as the Senior Bowl. You can't deny that playing a year will have tremendous benefits over sitting a year. You have to ask yourself, how long will it take for the player who sat to catch up with the players who played?

The opt out year is definitely a valid point.  Frankly if they don't take Chase, I'd want Pitts over Smith.  Devonta would be my 3rd choice though.

48 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The opt out year is definitely a valid point.  Frankly if they don't take Chase, I'd want Pitts over Smith.  Devonta would be my 3rd choice though.

Pitts is a beast, you can classify him as a WR/TE.  He made a catch against us in SECCG at the end of the game surrounded by 3 defenders that was just awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with him.

I don't think you could wrong with any of those 3 guys. My order is Smith, Pitts and Chase. And Chase is last only due to sitting out a year. He was a monster in 2019, I just don't know how he ready he will be after taking year off.

All 3 guys bring totally different skill sets to the game. For me, good hands and speed kills! Smith doesn't drop passes, which can be drive killers, and he doesn't fumble the ball. Every day after practice he would take 100 balls from the machine standing about 4-5 feet away to strengthen his hands.

1 hour ago, Bamabird said:

Pitts is a beast, you can classify him as a WR/TE.  He made a catch against us in SECCG at the end of the game surrounded by 3 defenders that was just awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with him.

I don't think you could wrong with any of those 3 guys. My order is Smith, Pitts and Chase. And Chase is last only due to sitting out a year. He was a monster in 2019, I just don't know how he ready he will be after taking year off.

All 3 guys bring totally different skill sets to the game. For me, good hands and speed kills! Smith doesn't drop passes, which can be drive killers, and he doesn't fumble the ball. Every day after practice he would take 100 balls from the machine standing about 4-5 feet away to strengthen his hands.

I feel like one thing this offense needs is some size.

Archived