Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

The guys in charge of this rebuild are an Accountant playing fantasy football and a young rookie HC who never even called plays before.  Good times.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Gruden was really big on Mahomes, he said he was going to be a generational guy based on the skills he had and his profile. Its as much about the tools as it is about scheme, fit, weapons, coaching, etc. All are important, but the thing is, every coach thinks they have a great scheme and coaching... this is why they stress the tools so much.

Andy Reid was too, that’s why even though he had a quarterback he jumped up so far to get him. If the Eagles see a generational type talent within their grasp here they should take their shot. Wentz is a warning that sometimes those guys don’t always pan out for your franchise though. 

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

I don't count Mayfield in that really successful undersized QB group. He doesn't carry his team as much as manage his team while surrounded by a great running game. So other than Brees and Wilson, there haven't been many undersized QBs with long term success in the NFL. I think the Jets may take one after they get rid of Darnold. Also, the Falcons aren't in as much a need as some other teams, but like the Eagles if they really like Fields or Wilson this may be their only change to get a guy of that level without doing a total rebuild. This is a good year for a team like the Falcons to trade down with other teams that are only a QB away from contending. I honestly don't think either Fields or Wilson (possibly both) will be there at six. There are few young high end franchise QBs and teams are starting to look for their aging replacements. If the Falcons or Jets trade down it will be to teams that want a QB.

I agree with almost everything said except about Mayfield. I mean he took the Browns to the playoffs for the 1st time since 2002, honestly when you take the Browns the playoffs you have to be considered a successful QB!!

12 minutes ago, Infam said:

Whether you are watching film of the WRs or the QBs in 2020, it's hard not to notice that we had at least one receiver open on almost every unsuccessful play. Take that last play in that video for example ... Fulgham was wide open for a TD if that ball comes out early (QB doesn't hold the ball too long). A lot of fans are ready to use #6 on a WR. Both Chase and Smith will probably be stars in this league, but I don't think WR is as big an issue as some of us think. QB play last year was just not where it should be. Many factors contributed. Wentz was playing desperate, not disciplined, and Hurts, unsurprisingly for a rookie thrust into a mess, did the same. 

I can't wait to see what the offense looks like this year with a different offensive philosophy. You take a young QB like Hurts and the young WRs we have, and design plays to take advantage of their strengths and hide their weaknesses, you can have success. If you string together a couple good showings, that confidence can make a world of difference in the growth of a young team. Analytics is cool and I believe there are useful applications within the study, but it can't take the place of "coaching" in a game situation. If it could, Google could be our HC.

styxmrroboto.jpg

What this team needed and just wasn't getting was old-fashioned coaching. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Whether you are watching film of the WRs or the QBs in 2020, it's hard not to notice that we had at least one receiver open on almost every unsuccessful play. Take that last play in that video for example ... Fulgham was wide open for a TD if that ball comes out early (QB doesn't hold the ball too long). A lot of fans are ready to use #6 on a WR. Both Chase and Smith will probably be stars in this league, but I don't think WR is as big an issue as some of us think. QB play last year was just not where it should be. Many factors contributed. Wentz was playing desperate, not disciplined, and Hurts, unsurprisingly for a rookie thrust into a mess, did the same. 

I can't wait to see what the offense looks like this year with a different offensive philosophy. You take a young QB like Hurts and the young WRs we have, and design plays to take advantage of their strengths and hide their weaknesses, you can have success. If you string together a couple good showings, that confidence can make a world of difference in the growth of a young team. Analytics is cool and I believe there are useful applications within the study, but it can't take the place of "coaching" in a game situation. If it could, Google could be our HC.

styxmrroboto.jpg

What this team needed and just wasn't getting was old-fashioned coaching. 

Not that I disagree completely, but a WR like Smith would still help the offense quite a bit.. While I think we could be ok at Z and in the slot, it's the X that has the biggest questionmark.

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

Not that I disagree completely, but a WR like Smith would still help the offense quite a bit.. While I think we could be ok at Z and in the slot, it's the X that has the biggest questionmark.

Smith could help the offense if his skill set can transition to the NFL and his size isn't an issue at the next level. 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:12 PM, Bamabird said:

I agree with almost everything said except about Mayfield. I mean he took the Browns to the playoffs for the 1st time since 2002, honestly when you take the Browns the playoffs you have to be considered a successful QB!!

He has so much talent and depth around him.  If we are going to stick with Hurts that has to be the model.  The big difference is that Mayfield is a better passer and a more aggressive leader.

51 minutes ago, Infam said:

Smith and Chase would both be an upgrade over any WR on the roster, but I just wonder if that upgrade is as sizeable as it would be at other positions (like CB). Right now we don't have a CB2. Maddox needs to move back to slot and Jacquet is intriguing , but he had 1 good game, followed by one where he was the target on almost every play. Jacquet could develop into a quality starter in time, but there are guys in this draft that are much better already.  We will eventually part with Slay, so we should probably draft a young guy that can start from day 1 and try to develop Jacquet for the future. 

If we draft a WR at #6, I'd be fine with either Smith or Chase. I'd prefer to wait a year and see what Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower and JJAW do in 2021. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Smith and Chase would both be an upgrade over any WR on the roster, but I just wonder if that upgrade is as sizeable as it would be at other positions (like CB). Right now we don't have a CB2. Maddox needs to move back to slot and Jacquet is intriguing , but he had 1 good game, followed by one where he was the target on almost every play. Jacquet could develop into a quality starter in time, but there are guys in this draft that are much better already.  We will eventually part with Slay, so we should probably draft a young guy that can start from day 1 and try to develop Jacquet for the future. 

If we draft a WR at #6, I'd be fine with either Smith or Chase. I'd prefer to wait a year and see what Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower and JJAW do in 2021. 

Yeah I get it. I'm just a total sucker for offense and if we are really in a rebuild, I'd prefer to rebuild the offense first. See what we got in Hurts, and get them rolling.

Defense can wait in my opinion. 🙈

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

Yeah I get it. I'm just a total sucker for offense and if we are really in a rebuild, I'd prefer to rebuild the offense first. See what we got in Hurts, and get them rolling.

Defense can wait in my opinion. 🙈

I just hate to jump too soon (give up on a prospect too early). I think both Reagor and Watkins showed some good things last year. Ward is solid. Fulgham was a surprise. They are all young and if they improve, it affords us a chance to better the team in other areas. A more consistent defense would provide the offense with more opportunities as well as better opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I just hate to jump too soon (give up on a prospect too early). I think both Reagor and Watkins showed some good things last year. Ward is solid. Fulgham was a surprise. They are all young and if they improve, it affords us a chance to better the team in other areas. A more consistent defense would provide the offense with more opportunities as well as better opportunities. 

Oh for sure. Reagor was and is my guy. He'll be great for us. Ward is a decent slot. But Watkins and Fulgham should be rotational at best, so we need a third starter.

Smith-Reagor-Ward could be excellent. Then Sanders and Goedert and Hurts.. I'm down for that.

50 minutes ago, Infam said:

Oh for sure. Reagor was and is my guy. He'll be great for us. Ward is a decent slot. But Watkins and Fulgham should be rotational at best, so we need a third starter.

Smith-Reagor-Ward could be excellent. Then Sanders and Goedert and Hurts.. I'm down for that.

As things stand right now, I see Reagor at Z backed up by Hightower. I see Ward at Slot with Watkins given a shot to push him. I see Fulgham as the frontrunner for X with JJAW given one more opportunity to compete with him for playing time. Both Fulgham and JJAW fit the template of Sirianni's X.

I personally think Fulgham can be a terrific X. Maybe I'm wrong and got too high on the guy, too fast, but he looked the part at the end of the 49ers game and the next 4 games after that. Then he had a couple off weeks. But the decision to move away from him in favor of Jeffery was terrible. He had success against some of the NFL's better CBs with a QB that was playing his worst football as a pro. On a team depleted with injuries, stopping Fulgham should have been easy for defenses like Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Fulgham's decline in production coincided with the return of several players who had been out and a conscious effort by Doug to get those guys re-involved. 3 of our 4 wins on the season came during the 5-game stretch where Fulgham was the go-to guy.

I'm still curious to see Sirianni's evaluation and possible plan to use JJAW if JJAW makes the team. Doug did a horrible job using Reagor properly and JJAW was never really used as that redzone 50/50 target he was  drafted to be either. The decision all year to keep Jeffery active and then force him on a struggling offense late was just another head-scratcher. 

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

As things stand right now, I see Reagor at Z backed up by Hightower. I see Ward at Slot with Watkins given a shot to push him. I see Fulgham as the frontrunner for X with JJAW given one more opportunity to compete with him for playing time. Both Fulgham and JJAW fit the template of Sirianni's X.

Which sort of furthers the notion that they need to add to the WR position. I mean that is a pretty frightening prospect going in to next year. Reagor fine I think there's talent there and I think the coaches can work with him. Ward is a fine slot receiver but going in to next year I'd like to see more explosive play at that position. And we really don't know what we have in Fulgham and JJAW has been freaking awful. So whatever they do they need to add to the position. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which sort of furthers the notion that they need to add to the WR position. I mean that is a pretty frightening prospect going in to next year. Reagor fine I think there's talent there and I think the coaches can work with him. Ward is a fine slot receiver but going in to next year I'd like to see more explosive play at that position. And we really don't know what we have in Fulgham and JJAW has been freaking awful. So whatever they do they need to add to the position. 

Draft Smith in the first, Humphrey in the second. Elite offense.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You are right.  They need one stud WR to add to that mix.  #6 this year might be the spot, but Howie's misses on Jefferson and DK concern me.  Some of these starters - Ward and Fulghum primarily - would rarely touch the field with other teams.  A truly stud WR, combined with Reagor, Goedert, and Miles,  would be fun...especially if Hurts pans out.  

26 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are right.  They need one stud WR to add to that mix.  #6 this year might be the spot, but Howie's misses on Jefferson and DK concern me.  Some of these starters - Ward and Fulghum primarily - would rarely touch the field with other teams.  A truly stud WR, combined with Reagor, Goedert, and Miles,  would be fun...especially if Hurts pans out.  

Couldn't agree more bud. They need a stud because at this point I don't think Reagor is a volume catcher. He's good, I like what he can bring but he's not a volume guy really. Ward is fine but to be honest I think we should really want more than "fine" and we just don't know what Fulgham is. 

Im not fantastic at analysing prospects for the draft, nor do I watch college football. But are there any receivers that are worthy of the no 6 pick in this upcoming draft? That high in the draft you surely need to be looking at a stud, hard to miss prospect if you go that route?

3 hours ago, Infam said:

Draft Smith in the first, Humphrey in the second. Elite offense.

Chase is the better prospect. Recency bias is clouding people’s judgment. Smith is going to get killed in the pros at his size. He will be a guy who flashes a few games then spends the rest of the games in the rehab room. 

50 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

Im not fantastic at analysing prospects for the draft, nor do I watch college football. But are there any receivers that are worthy of the no 6 pick in this upcoming draft? That high in the draft you surely need to be looking at a stud, hard to miss prospect if you go that route?

Chase from LSU. Personally if Chase is gone, I’d take Pitts from Florida. He’s a TE but he is too fast for LB/S and too big for CBs to cover. He can also play X. Him R1, Marshall from LSU R2 and you have a young, dynamic offense with a variety of skill sets and are able to move guys around in packages that we’ve never had. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's really not frightening at all. Until Hurts and the WRs workout together, this group is pretty much starting from scratch. That event will be the first step in building some chemistry moving forward. In the last 2 drafts we have invested a 1st, a 2nd, a 5th, and a 6th on WRs. We also traded a 7th for DJax and swapped 6ths to get Goodwin. If you base every single move on 2020 alone, every single one is a disappointment. However, last season was a mess starting with the injuries we couldn't fully overcome. The moves we made for the most part didn't pan out. The QB position was a fiasco with the bad play, drama, and coaching. A lot has been discussed about the O-line combinations and we sort of gloss over all the juggling at WR and TE that occurred. Our most reliable weapon of the past few years (Ertz) had his worst season ever. Our best young weapon (Sanders) led all NFL HBs in drop percentage (22%). Everything bad that could have possibly happened, did indeed happen. 2020 was a product of everything.

So just how good do we need our WRs to be? Well just 4 seasons ago, Jeffery was our X, T. Smith was our Z, Agholor was our Slot and Hollins was our WR4 and we won it all. Previously, we went to the NFCCG 3 times without Owens. All we really need is solid play from the starters and to function as a team. You can draft  both Chase and Smith this year and you would be adding two very talented prospects with bright futures, but you'd still be heading into 2021 with just as much of an unknown as we currently have. The only difference is you would be raising the expectations. 

As for Fulgham and JJAW, I would argue that we were given a chance to see what we had in Fulgham last year, but the coaches mishandled the situation when Jeffery became available. You can read my opinions on JJAW in other threads, but he ended the season on a positive. He was far from "awful" in week 17. More importantly, Hurts showed a willingness to target him (and WRs in general which bodes well for the entire group). 

Finally, even if we don't draft a WR in the 1st round, there's a good chance we still draft one at some point to add competition. I think Eagles fans should temper their draft crushes this year and give the players we currently have some time to develop before writing them off. Last year was forgettable and that's what we should do. This team has a new direction. We aren't trying to recapture the past any longer. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Couldn't agree more bud. They need a stud because at this point I don't think Reagor is a volume catcher. He's good, I like what he can bring but he's not a volume guy really. Ward is fine but to be honest I think we should really want more than "fine" and we just don't know what Fulgham is. 

I think Reagor is a volume catcher in yards.  He can flat blow the top off of a defense. Add another stud with him and this team looks different.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Chase is the better prospect. Recency bias is clouding people’s judgment. Smith is going to get killed in the pros at his size. He will be a guy who flashes a few games then spends the rest of the games in the rehab room. 

Chase from LSU. Personally if Chase is gone, I’d take Pitts from Florida. He’s a TE but he is too fast for LB/S and too big for CBs to cover. He can also play X. Him R1, Marshall from LSU R2 and you have a young, dynamic offense with a variety of skill sets and are able to move guys around in packages that we’ve never had. 

In your opinion is chase a better or worse prospect than ceedee lamb was? I ask as I was more pissed last year about the eagles failing to go get lamb after he fell than I was about the non selection of Jefferson.

9 minutes ago, Muz86 said:

In your opinion is chase a better or worse prospect than ceedee lamb was? I ask as I was more pissed last year about the eagles failing to go get lamb after he fell than I was about the non selection of Jefferson.

How did they "fail" to get Lamb when he was taken off the board? You wanted them to trade up? 

34 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think Reagor is a volume catcher in yards.  He can flat blow the top off of a defense. Add another stud with him and this team looks different.

Healthy oline would help. Hard to throw deep when the QB is running for his life 2 seconds after the snap.

Archived