Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

On 4/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

They just need to draft good players...... No crap. 

Good luck with that. These guys can’t help themselves, because they truly believe they’re always the smartest people in the room. Honestly I’ve only known one time who the Eagles would draft and that was Wentz. Everyone else has been having the Eagles "linked” to this guy only for them to draft another guy. At this point we should all know better. We can expect to see some type of shenanigans in this draft too. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Good luck with that. These guys can’t help themselves, because they truly believe they’re always the smartest people in the room. Honestly I’ve only known one time who the Eagles would draft and that was Wentz. Everyone else has been having the Eagles "linked” to this guy only for them to draft another guy. At this point we should all know better. We can expect to see some type of shenanigans in this draft too. 

I was being sarcastic because everyone keeps saying " we need to have a good draft" well yeah no sheet, for as bad as Howie is I'm sure he is also trying to draft good players lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was being sarcastic because everyone keeps saying " we need to have a good draft" well yeah no sheet, for as bad as Howie is I'm sure he is also trying to draft good players lol

Oh without doubt. He's not deliberately picking bad players. It's just his talent evaluation is bad. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I’d feel better about Howie making changes if he understood he wasn’t good at it. The problem is both he and the owner give him credit for players that end up on other teams that wind up good. Somehow it means Howie knows what he’s doing because Russell Wilson turned out good. 🤦🏾‍♂️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TEW said:

Howie haters looking stupid right now.

Don’t start sniffing yourself just yet. Howie still has some time to pull a Howie. 

• Like 2

While this pick might be all well and good, let's see what happens on the field. Carson Wentz was a great draft pick too, and somehow we ruined the guy. Maybe it was DP's fault. Maybe it wasn't.

I’m so old that I can remember when Howie was being lauded as a genius, way back in 2017. But what have you done for us lately, Howie?

38 minutes ago, TEW said:

Howie haters looking stupid right now.

No, he had a no brainer type pick in the top 10.  That doesn't negate all the mistakes he's made over a decade.  Let's see what moves he makes tonight.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

No, he had a no brainer type pick in the top 10.  That doesn't negate all the mistakes he's made over a decade.  Let's see what moves he makes tonight.

Howie schooled the NFL. Read the draft board weeks before draft night, gained a first, still got a guy 90% of the fan base would have been screaming for at #6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TEW said:

Howie schooled the NFL. Read the draft board weeks before draft night, gained a first, still got a guy 90% of the fan base would have been screaming for at #6.

Even a broken block is right twice a day. Howie had his lucky moment. But it doesn't acquit him from his overall effectiveness as a GM.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Don’t start sniffing yourself just yet. Howie still has some time to pull a Howie. 

Donnel Pumphrey agrees with this.

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

memehowie.jpg

I want to fire the guy who:

• Drafted Marcus Smith, JJAW, Sidney Jones, Gibson, Pumphrey, Hollis and other busts.
  • Passed over DaVante Adams for Jordan Matthews, DK Metcalf for JJAW and Jefferson for Reagor
  • Gave a big contract to Wentz only to draft his replacement then cause a cap hit and have to trade him
  • Extend contracts to older injury prone players and get them stuck in contracts for guys on IR
  • Traded a 3rd for an 8 game rental of Golden Tate, traded a 4th for Avery who has done nothing
  • Vetoed the scouts to take Reagor and Hurts over other players they had rated on their board
  • Made Wentz and Ertz want out, had Lane Johnson fighting with him and ran Doug out of town
  • Has had to re-learn how to be a GM several times after realizing it's not working

One good move (it was a good move) doesn't negate the history of bad moves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I want to fire the guy who:

• Drafted Marcus Smith, JJAW, Sidney Jones, Gibson, Pumphrey, Hollis and other busts.
  • Passed over DaVante Adams for Jordan Matthews, DK Metcalf for JJAW and Jefferson for Reagor
  • Gave a big contract to Wentz only to draft his replacement then cause a cap hit and have to trade him
  • Extend contracts to older injury prone players and get them stuck in contracts for guys on IR
  • Traded a 3rd for an 8 game rental of Golden Tate, traded a 4th for Avery who has done nothing
  • Vetoed the scouts to take Reagor and Hurts over other players they had rated on their board
  • Made Wentz and Ertz want out, had Lane Johnson fighting with him and ran Doug out of town
  • Has had to re-learn how to be a GM several times after realizing it's not working

One good move (it was a good move) doesn't negate the history of bad moves.

Exactly. I liked the trade down, and though I wish it wasn’t Dallas we gave a pick to, I’m ok with moving back up a bit to get a potential play maker. That said, he hasn’t played a down yet, and Howie can still underwhelm the rest of the draft. 

Howie has certainly made more than his share of the draft mistakes.   And, he comes across as an arrogant dude sometimes (I could use a nastier term).   He actually manages the cap and FA pretty well IMO.  Yeah, they are in cap hell this year.  But, he is cleaning that up fast and 2022 and beyond look much better.

Extending Wentz was seen at the time by nearly every expert as being a brilliant move.    The QB market $$ only went up from there.    I don't think anyone saw that backfiring like it did.

If Howie just stuck to managing the cap, he would be great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pliny said:

He actually manages the cap and FA pretty well IMO.  Yeah, they are in cap hell this year.  But, he is cleaning that up fast and 2022 and beyond look much better.

He does manage the cap pretty well and to be fair this year is an exceptional one due to the pandemic... but he does kick the can a lot. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pliny said:

Howie has certainly made more than his share of the draft mistakes.   And, he comes across as an arrogant dude sometimes (I could use a nastier term).   He actually manages the cap and FA pretty well IMO.  Yeah, they are in cap hell this year.  But, he is cleaning that up fast and 2022 and beyond look much better.

Extending Wentz was seen at the time by nearly every expert as being a brilliant move.    The QB market $$ only went up from there.    I don't think anyone saw that backfiring like it did.

If Howie just stuck to managing the cap, he would be great.

:roll:

22 hours ago, PhillyRockd said:

We'll find out soon. People want to put it all on Howie when Douglas deserves blame also.

Yep.  As far as I'm concerned, the only 2 "true" Howie drafts were 2020 and this year's.  Almost every other draft was (likely) heavily influenced by other player personnel people within the Eagles organization over the past decade or so.  (Chip Kelly & Douglas...to name a few). 

On 4/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh without doubt. He's not deliberately picking bad players. It's just his talent evaluation is bad. 

Sorry, absolutely no offense intended, but that completely misses the point.          I don't give a rat's ass about Howie Roseman, what he thinks, wants, or is trying to do.        Results are the only thing that matter, and the results he has delivered in his job would have gotten most anyone else schiitcanned well before he was able to run a franchise into the ground.

If his talent evaluation is bad, he has no business being the guy making decisions where talent evaluation is involved, and only a fool would trust him to make those decisions.          I believe the Eagles are still using the 'collaborative' nonsense that Lurie loves, and it happened to work out last night.       And if we can be honest for a second, it didn't take a personnel genius to figure out that Devonta Smith is a great football player and the no-brainer pick in that spot.            The tougher calls were ones like JJAW over Metcalf or Reagor over Jefferson (although to many of us those were kinda no-brainers as well).

I know the Eagles fan base is an emotional, hair trigger type of base that tends to overreact to most events, but the Roseman love last night was a little over the top given the job he has done to put this franchise in the spot it's in.         I have no use for him and would love to see him gone pronto, but I give him credit for the trades and the pick.        This team has a ton of holes to fill - let's see how he does the rest of the way.

Agreed @mjkvol. Howie has a long way to go to win back my trust, if even possible. I’m not totally shocked he did ok picking at 10. He can be decent at the top of a round, but obviously, you don’t want to be earning picks at the top of rounds. Howie needs a lot more consistency and impact throughout the draft. He’s not going to hit every pick and it’d be unfair to expect that, but he needs a lot more impact than he’s shown to date. 

14 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Agreed @mjkvol. Howie has a long way to go to win back my trust, if even possible. I’m not totally shocked he did ok picking at 10. He can be decent at the top of a round, but obviously, you don’t want to be earning picks at the top of rounds. Howie needs a lot more consistency and impact throughout the draft. He’s not going to hit every pick and it’d be unfair to expect that, but he needs a lot more impact than he’s shown to date. 

But afan said he is great in the 7th round and with UDFA's.

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But afan said he is great in the 7th round and with UDFA's.

Yeah, hell of an area to make a name in.

32 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

We all know it isn't about hitting on every pick, it's about being consistent year in and year out in sticking to a plan and philosophy that involves the draft to build your core, FA signings for depth, and knowing who to extend and when to cut bait on players while they still have value.           Roseman has had to rely on band aids to cover for bad drafts in the form of cheap signings and letting veterans stay well past their expiration dates.           Blowing the big move for a franchise QB didn't help matters.             

This isn't about one or two picks, it's about nailing the next 2-3 off seasons if this team is going to be competitive again.           Forgive me if I don't exactly have the greatest faith in Roseman being capable of getting that job done.