Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

14 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i get it and it's a valid point to bring up. how much impact did these people have on draft picks ? like you said, we will have to wait and see. 

for now though, i'll sit back and tip my hat to howie. on paper, it looks like a really nice draft class. 

I agree.  The last 2 years I saw them be patient and go with BPA and not reach for need.  For example, they really liked Cam Jurgens and think he could be Kelce's replacement.  If he works out and is a 10 year player that solidifies the position instead of having a weakness or dropoff there, that's better than reaching for a safety or corner because you have that hole on the roster.  Howie also admitted his failings at drafting certain positions and that they do better drafting linemen.  If they keep taking solid linemen like Jordan Davis, Jurgens, Mailata, Dickerson, Sweat then keep doing that and supplement where you can.  Important to know your strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I agree.  The last 2 years I saw them be patient and go with BPA and not reach for need.  For example, they really liked Cam Jurgens and think he could be Kelce's replacement.  If he works out and is a 10 year player that solidifies the position instead of having a weakness or dropoff there, that's better than reaching for a safety or corner because you have that hole on the roster.  Howie also admitted his failings at drafting certain positions and that they do better drafting linemen.  If they keep taking solid linemen like Jordan Davis, Jurgens, Mailata, Dickerson, Sweat then keep doing that and supplement where you can.  Important to know your strengths and weaknesses.

yes he did, which i think was big. no longer was there this "smartest guy in the room" vibe from him, which is something passed down to him from banner and lurie. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

And they had to make the trade because Reagor and JJAWful.  Takes some of the luster off it when it was to correct previous mistakes.  We used a 1st round pick at WR three years in a row, and two of those had additional picks involved.

giphy.gif

On 5/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, NOTW said:

It's been a good offseason.  Before everyone gets toooo worked up praising Howie though, consider that 3 of the acquisitions were a bit lucky.  AJ Brown was offered a contract by the Titans and turned it down.  Had they offered more, he would have stayed.  Other WRs around the league were traded before the draft so they were lucky Brown was available.  Of course credit Howie for collecting the draft capital to use in the trade.  Nakobe Dean fell to them in the 3rd they were very lucky he was still there.  And Bradberry was only just released last week.  They went through free agency and draft without adding a good option at corner until then.

But now that the roster is mostly set, on paper it's a much improved team and they have the two 1st round picks next year and are in good position.  If Howie continues to make smarter deals and better BPA style draft picks instead of reaching then they are on the right path.

downer.gif

On 5/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, NOTW said:

I do like that strategy. But maybe Stoutland is the reason every lineman and RB we add looks good. Which in turn makes me question the coaching of our receivers.. It‘s a complicated machine so there are quite a few wheels turning. Who knows what reasons success is built on.

Then again the team looks good so we probably are doing something right right now.

4 hours ago, Infam said:

I do like that strategy. But maybe Stoutland is the reason every lineman and RB we add looks good. Which in turn makes me question the coaching of our receivers.. It‘s a complicated machine so there are quite a few wheels turning. Who knows what reasons success is built on.

Then again the team looks good so we probably are doing something right right now.

Stoutland is great at scouting & coaching the O linemen.

It's been a good offseason.  Before everyone gets toooo worked up praising Howie though, consider that 3 of the acquisitions were a bit lucky.  AJ Brown was offered a contract by the Titans and turned it down.  Had they offered more, he would have stayed.  Other WRs around the league were traded before the draft so they were lucky Brown was available.  Of course credit Howie for collecting the draft capital to use in the trade.  Nakobe Dean fell to them in the 3rd they were very lucky he was still there.  And Bradberry was only just released last week.  They went through free agency and draft without adding a good option at corner until then.

But now that the roster is mostly set, on paper it's a much improved team and they have the two 1st round picks next year and are in good position.  If Howie continues to make smarter deals and better BPA style draft picks instead of reaching then they are on the right path.

Seems to be a good offseason.  Time will tell.  I'm looking forward to watching this team.  I don't like all the hype I'm seeing from the pundits though.  Usually winds up in a disappointing let down.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:29 PM, Procus said:

Seems to be a good offseason.  Time will tell.  I'm looking forward to watching this team.  I don't like all the hype I'm seeing from the pundits though.  Usually winds up in a disappointing let down.

Hype followed by let-down is the Dallas way. With the exception of the Wentz collapse we did better than expected the last years.

I was wondering how much Lurie did actually meddle. He did say when everyone was hammering him with questions why he wouldn't fire Roseman that he did a complete review and we just don't know what decisions are on whom. And that he thinks Roseman did a good job. So paired with the rumor that he has given Roseman 'free reign' that might mean at least part of our failures may well be on him. True or not, Roseman seems to both have a good idea how to build a roster and has some luck doing it. Sure tried a few things that didn't work, stuck to his guns without overpaying and eventually opportunities presented themselves. But that's how it goes with a good GM.

I'm very positive looking forward. And if Hurts/Siriani/Gannon can show they belong this year plus we have a year without too many injuries we are a super bowl contender. And the pundits don't even go that far. But I do.

Ok but I could also claim that he was UNLUCKY with the Ridley situation. So I’d say that offsets the "luck” factor of the AJ Brown trade. 

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Ok but I could also claim that he was UNLUCKY with the Ridley situation. So I’d say that offsets the "luck” factor of the AJ Brown trade. 

I’m No Howie guy, but even the Ridley situation could be seen as lucky, seeing as how we could have potentially worked that trade before the news of his suspension came out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Don't get me wrong, he had to capitalize on the situation, have the trade assets and make an attractive contract offer for Brown to put all that together.  It was a good trade.  

• 11 months later...

Time to bring this thread back to the forefront after the Tanner McKee pick…. SMDH.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MidMoFo said:

Time to bring this thread back to the forefront after the Tanner McKee pick…. SMDH.

Fire Howie!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, nipples said:

On 5/23/2022 at 11:35 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m No Howie guy, but even the Ridley situation could be seen as lucky, seeing as how we could have potentially worked that trade before the news of his suspension came out. 

Lucky or unlucky isn’t as important as how Howie didn’t allow that situation to stop him from moving forward. He just went in a new direction. He was sent to the basement, came back and kept moving forward. His quarterback fell apart, but he didn’t panic or stay in that no win situation. He just kept moving forward. He literally looked like a fool for drafting the wrong receiver (TWICE) and he just kept moving forward. It’s not how someone handles their successes, rather how they respond to failures. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lucky or unlucky isn’t as important as how Howie didn’t allow that situation to stop him from moving forward. He just went in a new direction. He was sent to the basement, came back and kept moving forward. His quarterback fell apart, but he didn’t panic or stay in that no win situation. He just kept moving forward. He literally looked like a fool for drafting the wrong receiver (TWICE) and he just kept moving forward. It’s not how someone handles their successes, rather how they respond to failures. 

I do put JJAW more on Lurie, though.

14 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I do put JJAW more on Lurie, though.

Possibly, but Howie is the name that’s stamped to that one. Also Howie took three WRs the year he took Reagor and only one of them was able to stick. Still Howie is learning from his mistakes and isn’t afraid to take some chances.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Howie loves to take credit for success but he need to take responsibility for this mess. 

He hired Siri and I’m sure he had a say in the coaching staff. He resigned Bradberry and signed guys like Morrow and let CJGJ and Edwards walk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morrow is just collecting a paycheck at this point...

But can u blame him? Siri has no other choice but to play him.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

I hope Angelo goes off on him!

Pretty sure Angelo retired.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Pretty sure Angelo retired.

I talk to him on email. Here is what he said lol.... Where is Don Corleone?

"Today was the worst loss I witnessed in eagles history they tired Ann onside kick cause they new eagles wouldn’t score again Blankenship should have let them score so we had more time fans are calling for nick and coaching staff to be fired how do you lose when your up 21 to 6 to a 3 win team now we need Dallas to lose and we got to win to win the east we could of had the 2 seed with a win I’m rooting for Flacco and the browns to win it all F the eagles they should of never fired Pederson . Happy new year wrestle we prob going to get beat in the first round."

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

This past off season's moves are yielding poor results. All the $ and picks for the D-line has resulted in a mediocre at best D-line. When Graham and Cox are your best D-linemen, you've made many mistakes there.

He needs a bounce back off season with a draft that actually yields a few impact players, shrewd signings and trades that upgrade positions significantly, especially at all 3 LB'er positions. He can start with drafting Trotter Jr. out of Clemson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see no chance of Howie being held accountable for anything after all a lot of money was made under his watch as GM. I hope Howie begins to realize the importance of linebackers, and safeties in a defense. I hope he figures out how to select these players. 

• Like 1