Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I just posted that to rile you up a little. 😂🤣😂

I'm riled up alright!  :lol:

Look, I think AJ Brown and Smith should finally give us a great WR duo, with Watkins and Goedert that's a really nice group of receiving options.  The rest will just get limited touches those 4 are the top receiving options.  They led the NFL in rushing last year as a team and they continue to add to the O line which is great.  It's all on Hurts now and he has no excuses.

On defense I love Davis, if he's the player he should be then he'll be an absolute nightmare for opposing offenses.  I expected them to draft him, pre-draft reports had them trading up for him.  The secondary is weak apart from Slay, but I didn't expect the LB position to have such potential upside.  Reddick is here to just rush the passer which is fine, White is a decent addition and if Dean is as good as projected we might finally have a stud LB.  If he works out that's a steal.  It will be up to Gannon to scheme properly, and for them to eventually draft secondary high and get another difference maker apart from Slay.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Infam said:

The negativity is still here when it comes to Roseman. Just not with this draft.

People will call for his firing in no time again.

It was because of past drafts most people had an issue with Roseman. He will and anyone else will always be scrutinized for their moments of poor decision making and miscalculations.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I'm riled up alright!  :lol:

Look, I think AJ Brown and Smith should finally give us a great WR duo, with Watkins and Goedert that's a really nice group of receiving options.  The rest will just get limited touches those 4 are the top receiving options.  They led the NFL in rushing last year as a team and they continue to add to the O line which is great.  It's all on Hurts now and he has no excuses.

On defense I love Davis, if he's the player he should be then he'll be an absolute nightmare for opposing offenses.  I expected them to draft him, pre-draft reports had them trading up for him.  The secondary is weak apart from Slay, but I didn't expect the LB position to have such potential upside.  Reddick is here to just rush the passer which is fine, White is a decent addition and if Dean is as good as projected we might finally have a stud LB.  If he works out that's a steal.  It will be up to Gannon to scheme properly, and for them to eventually draft secondary high and get another difference maker apart from Slay.

Everyone in NFL circles seems to think Gannon is kind of a boy wonder. I have to state I’m not as down on him as some, because I could tell he really didn’t have the pieces he needed to run his defense properly. He likely still doesn’t have everything he needs, but his front seven has far more talent than he had last season so that’s a good thing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Everyone in NFL circles seems to think Gannon is kind of a boy wonder. I have to state I’m not as down on him as some, because I could tell he really didn’t have the pieces he needed to run his defense properly. He likely still doesn’t have everything he needs, but his front seven has far more talent than he had last season so that’s a good thing. 

Agreed he's going to have to show a lot more creativity next year with the pieces he now has. And look if his secondary is as bad as we all fear it could be then I'm not going to kill him for that. If he gets creative and he really does a lot with his front 7 but the secondary gets beaten badly and its obviously a talent thing then I'm not going to be so hard on him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Gannon will need to figure out how best to use the new pieces he has, that will prove his coaching skills.  They're thin in the secondary but Slay is still playing at a high level.  Will he and his DB coach be able to coach up the younger guys?  Let's hope the D line and the additions at LB will be able to put more pressure on QBs to accommodate the secondary.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Gannon will need to figure out how best to use the new pieces he has, that will prove his coaching skills.  They're thin in the secondary but Slay is still playing at a high level.  Will he and his DB coach be able to coach up the younger guys?  Let's hope the D line and the additions at LB will be able to put more pressure on QBs to accommodate the secondary.

And let's not forget he was a DB coach and was very highly regarded for the work he did with DBs. So we've got to see him get more out of what he has with the secondary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed he's going to have to show a lot more creativity next year with the pieces he now has. And look if his secondary is as bad as we all fear it could be then I'm not going to kill him for that. If he gets creative and he really does a lot with his front 7 but the secondary gets beaten badly and its obviously a talent thing then I'm not going to be so hard on him. 

Sometimes you have to hope some players just work out too. Eagles got Mills as one starter and Robinson was a guy they got off the scrap heap in 2017. Even then the secondary had a lot of questions although they were solid at safety. Hopefully at least one of these guys pan out. If the pressure is legit from the front seven they might not need to have an elite secondary. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So is it safe to say Howie in back to back drafts nailed them? 😂 

Well let's just remember the last time we were this excited about an Eagles draft we came with Broderick Bunkley and Winston Justice.  They still have to produce.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Well let's just remember the last time we were this excited about an Eagles draft we came with Broderick Bunkley and Winston Justice.  They still have to produce.

Sure beats feeling bummed and pissed about the draft… for now. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie had a great draft.

Time will tell.  Wish I could bump the 2017 EMB Draft Thread when everyone was acting like every pick that Howie and Joe "Draft Guru" Douglas picked was gold 🤣

Now that I remember. It was you that was hyping up Barnett. "That motor!!!"

• Haha 1

Howie has done a good job. The receivers we got maximize Hurts strengths and mask his weaknesses. He brought in people that can share the burden of the game and take the sole burden off Jalen. Based on the personnel they are bringing in I can tell what they are trying to do on offense and it's perfect for Jalen.

I'm pretty impressed with the offense they are building. If they get our athletic OL involved it could be something special. Kudos to the staff for the offense design and kudos to Howie for getting people that fit the scheme. For the first time, I actually feel like the whole organization is working to build a single team.

As a very vocal Howie hater, I have to give him an A+ right now for this off-season. I'm not ready to totally forgive him but I'm willing to see where things go and give him a little leeway.

• Like 2

Now they're firing people responsible for these last 2 drafts, losing 3 other executives. 

Let's see how Howie picks players going forward, we'll see if good trends continue or he's back to drafting busts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all the flak Howie took for his missteps at WR, the teams that outflanked the Eagles in the draft - particularly the Vikings and Seahawks - haven't done squat.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, NOTW said:

Now they're firing people responsible for these last 2 drafts, losing 3 other executives. 

Let's see how Howie picks players going forward, we'll see if good trends continue or he's back to drafting busts.

How many "firings" are there - one?  There were a few departures of front office people for a better job, but there haven't been wholesale "firings".  And weren't the people from the last two drafts who have since departed in large part with the team during the crappy 2019 and 2020 drafts?  What am I missing?  Seems like an overly negative take on the situation.

Howie went into this off-season looking like a lame duck GM and now looks like he was shot out of a cannon with all these moves. 

1 hour ago, Procus said:

How many "firings" are there - one?  There were a few departures of front office people for a better job, but there haven't been wholesale "firings".  And weren't the people from the last two drafts who have since departed in large part with the team during the crappy 2019 and 2020 drafts?  What am I missing?  Seems like an overly negative take on the situation.

Your own topic about firing Weidl - linked here - says 2 others "are also reportedly out for the Eagles."  The context of that indicates 2 also being fired.  Maybe they just left like others.

It's not overly negative, there's a large amount of people over scouting and personnel leaving the organization.  Any company that has that many people leave creates a stir.  Are they all leaving people they're so talented and being scooped up?  That's great for them.  Howie has expressed in several press conferences he wasn't happy with people leaving especially to other division teams and especially at the timing of their departure before the draft.  

Either way, my point here is the last 2 drafts have been received positively and now there's a bunch of people leaving the team.  How does that impact the personnel decisions going forward?   Will it be a good thing or a bad thing?

Time to close this thread is what time it is.

We can open up a new one before next year's draft...or the start of next years free agency.

3 hours ago, Damanick10 said:

Howie Roseman went from public enemy to GM demi god in a couple years

Truth be told, neither the genius was made out to be or the idiot he was made out to be.

2 hours ago, Vee said:

Time to close this thread is what time it is.

We can open up a new one before next year's draft...or the start of next years free agency.

Or, you could simply choose to ignore and let others who feel like responding do so.

• Like 1

In the current rebuild, Howie has done his end of the job exceptionally well, no two ways about it.

Now the spotlight shifts to Hurts, Siri, and Gannon. They have been put in a position to succeed, if they don't, they are not the right people for the job.

• Like 2

It's been a good offseason.  Before everyone gets toooo worked up praising Howie though, consider that 3 of the acquisitions were a bit lucky.  AJ Brown was offered a contract by the Titans and turned it down.  Had they offered more, he would have stayed.  Other WRs around the league were traded before the draft so they were lucky Brown was available.  Of course credit Howie for collecting the draft capital to use in the trade.  Nakobe Dean fell to them in the 3rd they were very lucky he was still there.  And Bradberry was only just released last week.  They went through free agency and draft without adding a good option at corner until then.

But now that the roster is mostly set, on paper it's a much improved team and they have the two 1st round picks next year and are in good position.  If Howie continues to make smarter deals and better BPA style draft picks instead of reaching then they are on the right path.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

AJ Brown was offered a contract by the Titans and turned it down.  Had they offered more, he would have stayed.  Other WRs around the league were traded before the draft so they were lucky Brown was available.

And they had to make the trade because Reagor and JJAWful.  Takes some of the luster off it when it was to correct previous mistakes.  We used a 1st round pick at WR three years in a row, and two of those had additional picks involved.

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

Your own topic about firing Weidl - linked here - says 2 others "are also reportedly out for the Eagles."  The context of that indicates 2 also being fired.  Maybe they just left like others.

It's not overly negative, there's a large amount of people over scouting and personnel leaving the organization.  Any company that has that many people leave creates a stir.  Are they all leaving people they're so talented and being scooped up?  That's great for them.  Howie has expressed in several press conferences he wasn't happy with people leaving especially to other division teams and especially at the timing of their departure before the draft.  

Either way, my point here is the last 2 drafts have been received positively and now there's a bunch of people leaving the team.  How does that impact the personnel decisions going forward?   Will it be a good thing or a bad thing?

i get it and it's a valid point to bring up. how much impact did these people have on draft picks ? like you said, we will have to wait and see. 

for now though, i'll sit back and tip my hat to howie. on paper, it looks like a really nice draft class.