Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But perhaps to some extent that's the way the league is going right now. QBs who can make plays in a variety of ways. Create time. Hurts doesn't have to be a natural passer if he's evading pressure and his WRs have more time to get open. 

The NFL has spent the last 20 years thinking they can get the next great dual-threat QB or guys that have versatile skill sets.  

The only way that works for a starting QB in the NFL is if they are PRIMARILY an accurate pocket passer and decision maker.  Look at Russel Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.  Then look at QBs like Brady, both Mannings, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees, and others who aren't threats to run but deliver the ball to the playmakers from the pocket.

#1 for a QB is to view what the defense is giving him and delivering the ball to the playmakers accordingly within the execution of the play called or changing if needed.  If that's Tom Brady a statue who just gets rid of the ball quickly and hurts the defense with accuracy and dink and dunk, great.  If that's WIlson tucking the ball and running for the 1st and making you pay and keep a defense on it's toes, that's great too.  

But you absolutely have to be a natural passer.  We've seen what QBs do when they are almost thinking run first and pass second.

• Like 4

I shared this in a 411 topic and thought it might be relevant to the mindset of this team and the need for making changes.

You don't play to lose the game or tank.  But this team typically believes its own hype and excuses, so scraping back (even against bad teams in a bad division) to get to .500 or win the division gives them a false sense that they're onto something, they just need to tweak this or that and not make major changes.

Part of this is because they won the SB which is great they finally won.  People warned of SB hangover and the next year they made the playoffs and won a game with yet again the backup QB.  The following year they had a lot of injuries, Carson was finally healthy the whole regular season and they managed to win the division and make the playoffs.  So they think they're not far off.

Listening to them this week they're all saying they have the talent and just need to fight, just need to keep working.  You don't get the sense that they need to adjust their scheme, change plays to suit Carson, run more to protect Wentz, change defensive strategy so WRs aren't wide open...

And for this topic I would add the need for major changes to scouting, personnel and of course to the topic, changing the GM.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Driscoll had at least one play, not a physical failure, but where he completely missed his assigned and blocked no one while the edge rusher blew pass his outside shoulder for an easy QB hit.  He had another play where Young drove him into Wentz.  Overall, physically, he matched up and held up better than expected.  The fact that Baldy glossed over those plays concerns me that Baldy, per usual, just cherry picked some highlights for a completely one-sided analysis.

Well no one said Driscoll was perfect, but the guy held Chase Young in check for most of the time he was on field. Pretty good for a 4th round pick taken on a prospect that is hyped up to be in Reggie White's level... I remember watching Antone Davis getting smoked on the island in his rookie year and that first round pick came with all the hype and was supposed to anchor Eagles RT and it went nowhere.. Eagles definitely have something good in Driscol & Herbig.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

The NFL has spent the last 20 years thinking they can get the next great dual-threat QB or guys that have versatile skill sets.  

The only way that works for a starting QB in the NFL is if they are PRIMARILY an accurate pocket passer and decision maker.  Look at Russel Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.  Then look at QBs like Brady, both Mannings, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees, and others who aren't threats to run but deliver the ball to the playmakers from the pocket.

#1 for a QB is to view what the defense is giving him and delivering the ball to the playmakers accordingly within the execution of the play called or changing if needed.  If that's Tom Brady a statue who just gets rid of the ball quickly and hurts the defense with accuracy and dink and dunk, great.  If that's WIlson tucking the ball and running for the 1st and making you pay and keep a defense on it's toes, that's great too.  

But you absolutely have to be a natural passer.  We've seen what QBs do when they are almost thinking run first and pass second.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS X 1000 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am convinced that great accuracy is something you are primarily born with, not something developed. Can a QB still improve accuracy over time? Yes, but only in small increments.

In the game of football, naturally accurate passers who can kill you from the pocket, win a lot more championships than other types of QB's. The way the game is designed, it's easier to contain a running QB than to stop a sniper. 

As long as that is the case, accuracy is the #1 trait to look for in a QB prospect. the 2nd is intelligence and the 3rd is toughness. Mobility comes in at #4 IMO.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS X 1000 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am convinced that great accuracy is something you are primarily born with, not something developed. Can a QB still improve accuracy over time? Yes, but only in small increments.

In the game of football, naturally accurate passers who can kill you from the pocket, win a lot more championships than other types of QB's. The way the game is designed, it's easier to contain a running QB than to stop a sniper. 

As long as that is the case, accuracy is the #1 trait to look for in a QB prospect. the 2nd is intelligence and the 3rd is toughness. Mobility comes in at #4 IMO.

Unfortunately for us, it seems our "franchise” QB lacks #1 (and has shown no signs of improvement entering year 5).  I don’t question #2 ... maybe a little on #3, and he’s relatively solid on #4.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Unfortunately for us, it seems our "franchise” QB lacks #1 (and has shown no signs of improvement entering year 5).  I don’t question #2 ... maybe a little on #3, and he’s relatively solid on #4.  

It's almost like Howie has the grading process built backwards. Next thing you know he'll spend a 1st round pick on a LT who is nimble and has good technique as a pass blocker but is weak, lacks toughness, isn't a natural run blocker, and has no killer instinct...oh wait...<_<

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

It's almost like Howie has the grading process built backwards. Next thing you know he'll spend a 1st round pick on a LT who is nimble and has good technique as a pass blocker but is weak, lacks toughness, isn't a natural run blocker, and has no killer instinct...oh wait...<_<

He’d never do that 

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, c_u_in_tampa said:

Howie sucks and it gets worse next year, CAP HELL!!!!

He has set the franchise up for years of misery

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

He has set the franchise up for years of misery

10 years of Misery disappointment after winning it all. Same arch as the Phillies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, c_u_in_tampa said:

10 years of Misery disappointment after winning it all. Same arch as the Phillies.

No lead is safe with either team

• 3 weeks later...

He has like 3 above average contributors in his last 5 drafts (out of roughly 50 picks). Sanders, Seumalo, Goedert. 

His contracts, which he was once heralded for have been atrocious (Desean, Alshon etc).

We are strapped cap wise, which was his specialty...

We have to watch Metcalf, Mclaurin, Claypool etc tear up the league & us.

Serious question: does he have a lifetime contract or would going 3-12-1 move the needle.

Not to get too off topic, I feel Schwartz has to go, we need a legit O coordinator, but most importantly our talent pool is pure garbage and Roseman is the reason the team is in the position that they are.

• Like 2

It might take 3-12-1 (maybe 4-11-1 also) plus a lack of overall talent on the team and bad contracts that handcuff us from making signings in FA.  Not just one thing, but a combo of things that create an overall bad situation that would look to affect us for 2-3 seasons.  I think Lurie has a strong sense of loyalty and things would have to be pretty bad for him to take such action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

It might take 3-12-1 (maybe 4-11-1 also) plus a lack of overall talent on the team and bad contracts that handcuff us from making signings in FA.  Not just one thing, but a combo of things that create an overall bad situation that would look to affect us for 2-3 seasons.  I think Lurie has a strong sense of loyalty and things would have to be pretty bad for him to take such action.

And this is why I'm OK with a bad year. I think it'll take a really bad year for Lurie to take real action. We need Howie gone and there's a real strong case we need Schwartz gone. And we need major coaches on offense too with Doug giving up the play calling I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, no1birdsfan said:

He has like 3 above average contributors in his last 5 drafts (out of roughly 50 picks). Sanders, Seumalo, Goedert. 

His contracts, which he was once heralded for have been atrocious (Desean, Alshon etc).

We are strapped cap wise, which was his specialty...

We have to watch Metcalf, Mclaurin, Claypool etc tear up the league & us.

Serious question: does he have a lifetime contract or would going 3-12-1 move the needle.

Not to get too off topic, I feel Schwartz has to go, we need a legit O coordinator, but most importantly our talent pool is pure garbage and Roseman is the reason the team is in the position that they are.

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And this is why I'm OK with a bad year. I think it'll take a really bad year for Lurie to take real action. We need Howie gone and there's a real strong case we need Schwartz gone. And we need major coaches on offense too with Doug giving up the play calling I think. 

Howie must go!  Simple as that.  (Sorry Howie fan boys @jsdarkstar)

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Howie must go!  Simple as that.  (Sorry Howie fan boys @jsdarkstar)

I want him gone so badly. He's potentially screwed this team in the medium term with his drafting and his cap management. 

• Like 2

everyone is saying that lurie wont do anything i have a hard time believing that because before the pandemic lurie was making alot of money because of the eagles being successful but when this pandemic hit, it has changed alot in sports, you see owners making changes that you dont seem usually make because they are losing of money from the pandemic and they cant just stick to plan of losing and risk losing more money it's going to result of them selling their teams.

i believe the pandemic has really put alot financial pressure on lurie and that's why i think lurie is going to make alot of changes this offseason, he cant risk another financial loss and have to sell the team. not just the eagles but alot of football teams that have taken steps back and cant afford to lose any more money from this pandemic.

they got alot to lose right now.

The major sign that Howie has lost it is that he took two project players high in the draft when we needed some of these higher round draft players to compete immediately. Hurts and Taylor are projects that could take a couple of years and they have a higher bust chance than most draft picks taken in those spots.  Even Driscoll was supposed to be a project, but he at least has come in and shown something.  And, he has been more focused on retaining players from the Super Bowl vs. getting younger and not spending on aging players.  It's funny because about 7 to 10 years ago we would've said the opposite that the Eagles don't want to keep players over 30, etc.  Now it has changed.

Can this be changed to "Time to Give Howie His Walking Papers” or something to that effect?

On 9/27/2020 at 7:52 PM, c_u_in_tampa said:

It’s the "New norm.”

I was just reading an article about Marcus Smith and how he was battling depression when he was an Eagle. Again how does stuff like this keep getting by Howie? Nate Gerry tweets, mental illness of Smith and Brooks, Jackson and his me first attitude, Danny Watkins and his no desire to play football, and the reports of the mental immaturity of Andre Dillard. It’s one thing to miss on the talent, but he’s also missing on the off the field and mental stability stuff too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s one thing to miss on the talent, but he’s also missing on the off the field and mental stability stuff too. 

I don't know if you've heard but... Howie is the smartest guy in the room. 

😉

• Like 1