Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

24 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

I think the poster was saying Chip sucked at everything but the one correct thing he did was putting Howie in the basement...not that Chip did things well.  And that this should be repeated........

I understand what he was saying --- those are the moves we made while Howie was in the basement.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Really? 

Released Jackson --- nothing in return. Traded McCoy for Kiko Alonso. Traded  Foles, a 2nd and a 4th for Bradford. Let Maclin walk and let Cole and Herremans go. Signed Ryan Mathews and D. Murray at the same time. Went all in to get Byron Maxwell. After releasing Jackson and allowing Maclin to sign elsewhere, had a need at WR and drafted Agholor in the 1st. Almost every player we let go was popular or a leader and they all trashed Kelly's "culture." This was a recipe for a team quitting on its coach. 

Howie might make bad moves, but this was a disaster. 

Lol I can see how you would get to this assumption on what I was saying but let me make myself clear. I just said the one thing Chip did right was Banish Howie. Obviously that led to a ton of terrible move by Chip but that was not my focus. My specific focus was banishing Howie and how Chip had the right idea about that (THAT'S IT!). No where did I say Chip Kelly had a ton of great moves.

Trust me, I heard how bad it was in the locker room. One stories was with Trent Cole and why he got cut. Chip Kelly was talking to him like a little kid in the locker room and was putting his finger in his face. Trent Cole smacked Chip Kelly's hand out of his face and Chip said, "you are gone." Next thing you know he was cut but they made it seem like a contract dispute in the media. He was treating these grown men like college and high school players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Lol I can see how you would get to this assumption on what I was saying but let me make myself clear. I just said the one thing Chip did right was Banish Howie. Obviously that led to a ton of terrible move by Chip but that was not my focus. My specific focus was banishing Howie and how Chip had the right idea about that (THAT'S IT!). No where did I say Chip Kelly had a ton of great moves.

Trust me, I heard how bad it was in the locker room. One stories was with Trent Cole and why he got cut. Chip Kelly was talking to him like a little kid in the locker room and was putting his finger in his face. Trent Cole smacked Chip Kelly's hand out of his face and Chip said, "you are gone." Next thing you know he was cut but they made it seem like a contract dispute in the media. He was treating these grown men like college and high school players.

Chip was horrible in every way but two. Putting Howie in the basement and somehow keeping guys healthy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Chip was horrible in every way but two. Putting Howie in the basement and somehow keeping guys healthy. 

Oh Yeah! Lol he did have guys healthy with those custom smoothies and sports science. He had the team invest over $1M on sports science and it worked by keeping players on the field, for the most part.

Our sports science director James Hanisch needs to go. Terrible health for the players under his watch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Oh Yeah! Lol he did have guys healthy with those custom smoothies and sports science. He had the team invest over $1M on sports science and it worked by keeping players on the field, for the most part.

Our sports science director James Hanisch needs to go. Terrible health for the players under his watch

Not everything should have been thrown out with the Chippah, but I don’t think it’s realistic to do what he tried to do to grown men. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Chip, I had no problem moving Desean and Shady out. They were a problem in the locker room. My problem was getting nothing for them. That was madness. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, EazyEaglez said:

And designing the blueprint of how to maximize Foles' abilities.         It's no secret that Pederson and Reich studied the 27/2 season and saw how to most effectively use Foles, which was more than a minor factor in the 2017 SB run.

Getting rid of Jackson and McCoy were the other things I loved about Chip's time here aside from Foles and banishing Roseman.         Despite the results being disastrous, it allowed me to actually like my own team for the first time in about 6-7 years.

That group had hit its ceiling at 10-6, and was never going to be better than that.          Kelly knew that team had to be broken up - problem was that he wasn't a personnel guy, and  virtually every move he made failed.         I'll always believe that Lurie had it in for Chip due to his boy being demoted, and sabotaged him by not allowing Gamble, Chip's personnel guy of choice, to be brought in.

Chip's way was never going to work once the league adjusted to his one-dimensional scheme, but his use of Foles and his methods to maintain the health of the roster were positives, the health aspects should be revisited to some extent.          The one other thing I'll credit to him indirectly is waking Lurie out of his decade long slumber which led him to actively making the changes that led to the glorious 2017 season.             

Now he needs to be woken up all over again.

3 hours ago, mjkvol said:

And designing the blueprint of how to maximize Foles' abilities.         It's no secret that Pederson and Reich studied the 27/2 season and saw how to most effectively use Foles, which was more than a minor factor in the 2017 SB run.

Getting rid of Jackson and McCoy were the other things I loved about Chip's time here aside from Foles and banishing Roseman.         Despite the results being disastrous, it allowed me to actually like my own team for the first time in about 6-7 years.

That group had hit its ceiling at 10-6, and was never going to be better than that.          Kelly knew that team had to be broken up - problem was that he wasn't a personnel guy, and  virtually every move he made failed.         I'll always believe that Lurie had it in for Chip due to his boy being demoted, and sabotaged him by not allowing Gamble, Chip's personnel guy of choice, to be brought in.

Chip's way was never going to work once the league adjusted to his one-dimensional scheme, but his use of Foles and his methods to maintain the health of the roster were positives, the health aspects should be revisited to some extent.          The one other thing I'll credit to him indirectly is waking Lurie out of his decade long slumber which led him to actively making the changes that led to the glorious 2017 season.             

Now he needs to be woken up all over again.

Kelly’s way of getting rid of those players was a joke. We paid more to bring Jackson back than we did to let him go in his prime. And to replace him with a bum like Riley Cooper? Just stupid. Then you get rid of McCoy for a broken linebacker and on top of that you pay the same money for that dog of a player in Murray. Then they just let Maclin walk for nothing, and traded Foles for a stiff. I don’t give that dope Chip Kelly any credit for Foles. He got rid of him and all his weapons for basically nothing. 

The strangest think to me about Chip Kelly and his roster decisions were that I think he had the exact personnel he needed to run his offense and it was a very fragile chemistry. Then he decided to jettison them all in a short amount of time. Was he trying to prove it was his system that made the players? It never made sense to me. 

14 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The strangest think to me about Chip Kelly and his roster decisions were that I think he had the exact personnel he needed to run his offense and it was a very fragile chemistry. Then he decided to jettison them all in a short amount of time. Was he trying to prove it was his system that made the players? It never made sense to me. 

He had the exact personnel he needed except I would say the QB. I just think his scheme was very simple and teams found them out. 

Well howie probably better than chip but how about we compare him to say Ozzie newsome? He has been terrible with drafting and recently with contracts. What excuse does he have for extending alshon when we didn’t need to? How about getting Peters back? No focus on LBs- the trash we roll out there is abysmal. How about JJAW encyclopedia name over DK Metcalf? Sidney Jones pick? jake elliott extension when we could have held on? Drafting hurts after extending wentz also not ideal when we had guys like Chinn who would have helped? Old overpaid roster is Howie’s accountability no one else's

Just now, Ajxxx said:

Well howie probably better than chip but how about we compare him to say Ozzie newsome?

Well they can both have the same saying... Just for opposite reasons. 

"Ozzie did it again"

"Howie did it again"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Kelly’s way of getting rid of those players was a joke. We paid more to bring Jackson back than we did to let him go in his prime. And to replace him with a bum like Riley Cooper? Just stupid. Then you get rid of McCoy for a broken linebacker and on top of that you pay the same money for that dog of a player in Murray. Then they just let Maclin walk for nothing, and traded Foles for a stiff. I don’t give that dope Chip Kelly any credit for Foles. He got rid of him and all his weapons for basically nothing. 

No argument at all about any of his personnel moves, but I was still thrilled to see those two the hell out of here.            And I couldn't disagree more regarding Foles - you might hate Kelly, but he understood how to maximize what the guy did well, and Pederson and Reich went to school on it.

Just now, mjkvol said:

No argument at all about any of his personnel moves, but I was still thrilled to see those two the hell out of here.            And I couldn't disagree more regarding Foles - you might hate Kelly, but he understood how to maximize what the guy did well, and Pederson and Reich went to school on it.

If he knew what he had he would have kept him. That’s all I’ll say. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If he knew what he had he would have kept him. That’s all I’ll say. 

We'll just disagree.        He wanted them out but went about it in the most amateurish way imaginable.           I couldn't have been happier to see the two of them go.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised there's no thread on Brett Farve's comments, in a nutshell, he's saying that the Eagles should have stuck with Foles and let Wentz go. 

Not that I agree with that but the problem I had is what the Eagles gave up to get Wentz.  Don't get me wrong, I thought Wentz was a good prospect but giving up draft picks like that for 1 prospect rarely pays off. 

There are good QB's coming out every year in the draft, look at where Dak went, there was no need to give up so much for Wentz, so yeah, put Howie back in the basement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'm surprised there's no thread on Brett Farve's comments, in a nutshell, he's saying that the Eagles should have stuck with Foles and let Wentz go. 

Not that I agree with that but the problem I had is what the Eagles gave up to get Wentz.  Don't get me wrong, I thought Wentz was a good prospect but giving up draft picks like that for 1 prospect rarely pays off. 

There are good QB's coming out every year in the draft, look at where Dak went, there was no need to give up so much for Wentz, so yeah, put Howie back in the basement.

Brett Favre has been hit in the head to many times.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Howie drafted his own Taysom Hill and didn’t even get that right. 

I'll keep saying this. That draft pick was awful. However, the coaches are making the pick even worse because they bring Hurts in and run the most ridiculous plays imaginable at the worse times. They work in unison when it comes to draft picks. Howie picks the wrong players for the system and then the coaches compound it with not playing those picks to their strengths. 

Howie has been here longer so he should go first and see if that doesn't help get players that work for what the coaches want. If it's still a mess then I'll start harping on Doug. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That draft pick was awful. However, the coaches are making the pick even worse because they bring Hurts in and run the most ridiculous plays imaginable at the worse times.

Spot on. Terrible pick for so many reasons but the coaches are making things worse. I mean I really don't know what the coaches are doing with this offense. They could be quite creative and imaginative but they aren't. They bring in Hurts and it's all so predictable.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Spot on. Terrible pick for so many reasons but the coaches are making things worse. I mean I really don't know what the coaches are doing with this offense. They could be quite creative and imaginative but they aren't. They bring in Hurts and it's all so predictable.

Syracuse used to have a read option play where the QB ran down the line after the snap and he would fake a handoff and then drop back to pass....THAT is something I'd love to see them do with Hurts.  NO ONE is expecting him to pass let alone throw a bomb.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYEagle said:

Syracuse used to have a read option play where the QB ran down the line after the snap and he would fake a handoff and then drop back to pass....THAT is something I'd love to see them do with Hurts.  NO ONE is expecting him to pass let alone throw a bomb.  

Just seeing something different and creative. Or something that other teams have run in the past but we haven't yet with Hurts and Wentz. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, EazyEaglez said:

holy crap I forgot about the sports science stuff he brought in and come to think about it I don't really remember any major injuries (outside Shammy/Vick/Foles who always hurt). Nothing like what we have today.

I think Howie is still an amazing cap manager and he was very much right to bring in the veterans we used in 2017 but his drafting is to weak. I am interested to see what happens in the off season.

6 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Get down there,  Howie!

Falling Down Stairs GIFs | Tenor

It should really be changed to out the front door.

Jazzy Jeff Thrown Out GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1