Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Is Lurie going to wait until the end of the season? Do it now and start the search

I would start the search now, and pull the plug when you find the replacement you want.

• Like 1

I think the best guy for the job is Ed Dodds, Assistant GM at the Colts. He's the guy that built the Seahawks when they were at their best. His reputation is that he's the best player evaluator in the league. If that's true, then he's our guy. If there are other things he's not good at, hire a support staff to do that stuff, whatever it may be. Show Howie the door and lock Dodds in his office until he signs a long term contract as GM.

See, fixing this stuff is easy!! ;)

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I think the best guy for the job is Ed Dodds, Assistant GM at the Colts. He's the guy that built the Seahawks when they were at their best. His reputation is that he's the best player evaluator in the league. If that's true, then he's our guy. If there are other things he's not good at, hire a support staff to do that stuff, whatever it may be. Show Howie the door and lock Dodds in his office until he signs a long term contract as GM.

In you I trust my friend. 

Let's bring PoconoDon in to make the changes and oversee things. 

Just make sure you have a spot for our buddy @Ray75.

54 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I nominate PoconoDon as GM to the GM search!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In you I trust my friend. 

Let's bring PoconoDon in to make the changes and oversee things. 

Just make sure you have a spot for our buddy @Ray75.

Thx! 😂

Not necessary! Completely agree with @PoconoDon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

** Movie preview voice**..."Imagine a perfect world... where an actual Philadelphia Eagles GM properly evaluates and acquires real NFL talent.... Pixar Studio brings you....The GM Who Changed the World"....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'd be curious to know who Lurie has assigned to oversee things if something happens to him. He's now almost 70, so you can bet he has assigned someone to take over if something has happened to him.  His wife will most likely still own the team, but who has he assigned to help her with that. I doubt she would make all the decisions that Lurie himself would make.  I'm guessing Howie. I'm hoping I'm wrong with that. Maybe Smolenski, but I have a feeling that Lurie is closer to Howie.  This is another factor to consider. If Lurie has plans for Howie to help carry the franchise forward when he can't, then he will allow Howie a longer leash and he might not ever be willing to can him.

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

I'd be curious to know who Lurie has assigned to oversee things if something happens to him. He's now almost 70, so you can bet he has assigned someone to take over if something has happened to him.  His wife will most likely still own the team, but who has he assigned to help her with that. I doubt she would make all the decisions that Lurie himself would make.  I'm guessing Howie. I'm hoping I'm wrong with that. Maybe Smolenski, but I have a feeling that Lurie is closer to Howie.  This is another factor to consider. If Lurie has plans for Howie to help carry the franchise forward when he can't, then he will allow Howie a longer leash and he might not ever be willing to can him.

There's more to running the organization than the football side, obviously football is the main thing.  But I would think Don Smolenski as President would run the overall operations which includes every aspect of the organization.  Howie would continue doing what he does as the GM, and Don would continue handling the non-football side of things.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

There's more to running the organization than the football side, obviously football is the main thing.  But I would think Don Smolenski as President would run the overall operations which includes every aspect of the organization.  Howie would continue doing what he does as the GM, and Don would continue handling the non-football side of things.  

It could be Smolenski and we should hope it is.  If you consider that he is the President of the organization, then it would make sense.  But, Howie is already being given a position that he technically was never qualified for, so that means that Lurie holds him in really high esteem.  If Howie wanted to be the President of the organization, then he might be the president.  But, Howie has always wanted to make personnel decisions though and he has said it and Lurie gave him that. So, Howie definitely is a power figure in the organization.  

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

It could be Smolenski and we should hope it is.  If you consider that he is the President of the organization, then it would make sense.  But, Howie is already being given a position that he technically was never qualified for, so that means that Lurie holds him in really high esteem.  If Howie wanted to be the President of the organization, then he might be the president.  But, Howie has always wanted to make personnel decisions though and he has said it and Lurie gave him that. So, Howie definitely is a power figure in the organization.  

I don't know if Howie has any interest in overseeing the entire organization though.  Maybe he does.  But we're talking about all the office staff like Accounting, HR, IT, Payroll, Marketing, stadium staff, maintenance, etc.  The TV contracts, travel, so many things.  If Howie wanted to move up he'd have to have a replacement GM to handle the football operations.

Someone yesterday I think nailed it:  Howie is a fantasy football nerd playing real GM.  But who knows?  Maybe he has aspirations to go higher and not be the GM anymore.  

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I don't know if Howie has any interest in overseeing the entire organization though.  Maybe he does.  But we're talking about all the office staff like Accounting, HR, IT, Payroll, Marketing, stadium staff, maintenance, etc.  The TV contracts, travel, so many things.  If Howie wanted to move up he'd have to have a replacement GM to handle the football operations.

Someone yesterday I think nailed it:  Howie is a fantasy football nerd playing real GM.  But who knows?  Maybe he has aspirations to go higher and not be the GM anymore.  

Or Howie and Lurie might have an agreement based on Lurie's health that Howie would oversee things at that point.  We don't know, but I hope that isn't the case. Jerry Jones has turned it over to his son to a degree. Al Davis turned it over to his son. Lurie doesn't have kids as far as I know.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Lurie has a son not named Howie but rather Julian, and it appears that he will inherit the team. I imagine that he's already being groomed for the role.

2 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Lurie has a son not named Howie but rather Julian, and it appears that he will inherit the team. I imagine that he's already being groomed for the role.

I didn't know he had a son. That's cool to know. Lurie keeps things close to the vest unlike Jerry Jones.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Moderator6 said:

We have a topic to discuss Howie, merging.  Scan the topics at least on the home page before starting new ones.

Ouch

Howie needs to be let go tomorrow. Everything else can follow after. Forever greatful for the the SB but he has since turned this franchise into a clusterf* of no young talent, highly paid old injury prone player and a very bad cap situation going forward. The cleaning house has to start with him, we just can’t let him be in charge of another offseason

• Like 3

On 12/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, CaliEagle said:

Or Howie and Lurie might have an agreement based on Lurie's health that Howie would oversee things at that point.  We don't know, but I hope that isn't the case. Jerry Jones has turned it over to his son to a degree. Al Davis turned it over to his son. Lurie doesn't have kids as far as I know.

Lucite has 2 kids. His ex wife is part owner of the team because of an agreement in their divorce. So if anything she takes over and she is only 60. 

10 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

Howie needs to be let go tomorrow. Everything else can follow after. Forever greatful for the the SB but he has since turned this franchise into a clusterf* of no young talent, highly paid old injury prone player and a very bad cap situation going forward. The cleaning house has to start with him, we just can’t let him be in charge of another offseason

Yup, get rid of Howie and let the new guy gut the whole thing with fresh, cold blooded eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Time to change this to "Time For Howie To Go.”

He needs to go, but there's also something funny about the idea of putting him back in the basement.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

Fire this mf

AND QUICKLY! Before he can do any more freaking damage or any more contract tweaking and meddling.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:53 PM, CaliEagle said:

The Super Bowl year. Douglas was here evaluating talent and keep Howie in check a little as far a personnel decisions, and it seemed as if he made good decisions. The results of Howie being overruled by a "football guy" seemed to be obvious to everyone. Of course, we weren't behind the scenes, so who knows. But after Douglas and Reich were gone, and Howie grabbed at the "football guy" fixation/power grab again, and lost his short lived humility phase, kaboom- a team on the decline. This is just one angle on this whole shi* show- there are a ton of others. There is a lot of blame to go around. When it gets this bad, it just seems to me you have to do what the 76ers did- clean house, but while doing so, bring in well respected football people... Howie is NOT one of them. Ah, per chance to dream...

On 12/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, NOTW said:

Thanks- that was me with the fantasy football nerd comment. 

I’ve been thinking about this more and more and the one thing Lurie likes more than Howie is money. Think about it if you’re the owner of the Eagles- how much would it bug you to be paying huge salaries to guys like Jeffery, DJax, Slay, Lane, Peters and even Wentz to some extent and you’re not getting any value for that money. Howie is responsible for all those contracts and it has to bother the guy who’s signing those checks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Thanks- that was me with the fantasy football nerd comment. 

I’ve been thinking about this more and more and the one thing Lurie likes more than Howie is money. Think about it if you’re the owner of the Eagles- how much would it bug you to be paying huge salaries to guys like Jeffery, DJax, Slay, Lane, Peters and even Wentz to some extent and you’re not getting any value for that money. Howie is responsible for all those contracts and it has to bother the guy who’s signing those checks. 

You're welcome, I was too lazy to go back and find the comment.  ^_^

You're right.  He's paying guys like Jeffrey, DeSean, Brooks, Peters to be on IR.  He's seeing his investment at QB fall apart.  He's seeing a 2nd round pick in JJAW not see the field, and 2nd and 3rd round picks at corner in 2017 cut from the team.  He must also notice that 2 weeks in a row a receiver has destroyed them who the Eagles didn't draft but instead took Jordan Matthews and JJAW.

They also just hired last offseason new directors over medical and conditioning and they are still the most injured team (or among the most) in the NFL.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

You're right.  He's paying guys like Jeffrey, DeSean, Brooks, Peters to be on IR. 

No no it's worse than that actually. In some cases, he's paying guys like Alshon to waste a roster spot whilst he's recovering from a Lisfranc. I mean what the hell was that all about? 10 weeks he sat on the active roster despite not being able to play.