Since Reid left, their 1st round picks have been 2 OT, 2 DE, 2 WR, 1 QB

2013: Lane Johnson - #4 - OT
2014: Marcus Smith # 26 - DE
2015: Nelson Agholor #20 - WR
2016: Carson Wentz #2 - QB
2017: Derek Barnett #14 - DE
2019: Andre Dillard # 22 - OT
2020:  Jalen Reagor #26 - WR

No Corners.  No safeties.  No Linebackers.  (I don't count Marcus Smith as LB.)

Their 2nd round picks have been 2 TE, 2 WR, 2 CB, 1 RB, 1 QB

2013:  Zach Ertz #35 - TE
2014:  Jordan Matthews #42 - WR
2015:  Eric Rowe #47 - CB
2017:  Sidney Jones #43 - CB
2018:  Dallas Goedert #49 - TE
2019:  Miles Sanders: #53 - RB
2019:  JJ Arcega-Whiteside #57 - WR
2020: Jalen Hurts #53 - QB

2 Corners who got cut.  No safeties.  No Linebackers. No DT or DE. 

No wonder the defense has no legit young talent apart from Barnett.  

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And even Barnett is maybe a little above average at best. 

26 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

And even Barnett is maybe a little above average at best. 

I had to find something good, LOL.  he's a good player, at least not a bust.  But no elite defensive talent and too many JAGs and busts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

I had to find something good, LOL.  he's a good player, at least not a bust.  But no elite defensive talent and too many JAGs and busts.

If freaking Brandon Graham is considered not a bust anymore then Barnett shouldn't be either. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If freaking Brandon Graham is considered not a bust anymore then Barnett shouldn't be either. 

Barnett is definitely not a bust. Is he an elite player? No. Is he what we'd have hoped for when we drafted him at #14? Possibly not. But he's been a decent player and he's still fairly young in terms of age. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Barnett is definitely not a bust. Is he an elite player? No. Is he what we'd have hoped for when we drafted him at #14? Possibly not. But he's been a decent player and he's still fairly young in terms of age. 

Agreed. Barnett barely moves the needle on the Howie-Bust-O-Meter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Agreed. Barnett barely moves the needle on the Howie-Bust-O-Meter.

If he leaves this off season I think that's a mark against Howie. In terms of draft evaluation I don't think it's a terrible pick. I don't think it's a great pick either. It's fine. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If he leaves this off season I think that's a mark against Howie. In terms of draft evaluation I don't think it's a terrible pick. I don't think it's a great pick either. It's fine. 

Problem is, you expect more than "fine” when you’re picking in the top half of the first round. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:08 PM, NOTW said:

Yep - I think Howie gets blasted too much for some things on this board, but one of his main often overlooked faults is his failure to address the D in the draft.

Schwartz held it together for 5 years. No established DC will want to touch this D. Expect an internal promotion.

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

19 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Somebody did a comparison with Barnett and recent DEs taken between 13 and 18 and he was above average.

Not a home run but a decent pick. Injuries and penalties are the main issues. Hopefully we can get him extended on a reasonable contract. Need as many good young players as we can get.

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Somebody did a comparison with Barnett and recent DEs taken between 13 and 18 and he was above average.

Not a home run but a decent pick. Injuries and penalties are the main issues. Hopefully we can get him extended on a reasonable contract. Need as many good young players as we can get.

Barnett and Graham together along with Cox and Hargrave is a very solid D line and they were among the league leaders in sacks.  I believe the last broadcast they said they were 2nd in sacks.  

I think part of the issue with Barnett was the context of when he was drafted.  Corner was the weakest position on the team and it was said for a year that 2017 was a deep corner class.  They brought in Joe Douglas and we had high hopes for the kind of drafting that got Baltimore 2 SBs in 10 years with a different roster.  Instead of a corner they take a DE so the expectations were that this guy must be an elite prospect and will be the star DE they need.

That's not exactly fair to him, but I think it's similar to Graham when fans wanted Earl Thomas.  Both DEs turned out to be solid players.  Barnett is the best defensive draft pick they've made since Cox.  But i think it's the overall lack of elite defensive talent and no All-Pro/Pro Bowl guys drafted on defense in 8 years.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Barnett and Graham together along with Cox and Hargrave is a very solid D line and they were among the league leaders in sacks.  I believe the last broadcast they said they were 2nd in sacks.  

I think part of the issue with Barnett was the context of when he was drafted.  Corner was the weakest position on the team and it was said for a year that 2017 was a deep corner class.  They brought in Joe Douglas and we had high hopes for the kind of drafting that got Baltimore 2 SBs in 10 years with a different roster.  Instead of a corner they take a DE so the expectations were that this guy must be an elite prospect and will be the star DE they need.

That's not exactly fair to him, but I think it's similar to Graham when fans wanted Earl Thomas.  Both DEs turned out to be solid players.  Barnett is the best defensive draft pick they've made since Cox.  But i think it's the overall lack of elite defensive talent and no All-Pro/Pro Bowl guys drafted on defense in 8 years.

Yeah I get it. There were some really good corners who went after Barnett.

But Barnett did contribute hugely to our Super Bowl win. Two big plays in the playoffs (strip sack on Keenum and obviously the fumble recovery in the Super Bowl) and having such a deep D-Line let us keep everybody fresh and contributed hugely to what was a very underrated D in 2017 (people only remember the Super Bowl a lot of the time)

Sidney Jones was rated as the second  best corner in the draft before the injury. He never made it fully back. One of these things with our injury track record. 

30 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

Time for Howie to get Brodied!

Brody for GM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Brody for GM!

Well can it really be much worse having a dedicated fan making the picks, compared to a guy who has never played with, scouted, or coached football players before taking the GM position?

Howie took Mike Tannenbaum's advice to go to law school so he can be well versed in contract law and help a prospective team manage its salary cap, since he had no primary experience in football besides being a fan. His loyalty and tenacity is what allowed him to rise up the ranks and become our GM. While I do have an appreciation for the work ethic he exhibited for him to even be in this position today, I don't think Howie is the right guy for us going forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Need to change the title to "Fire Howie"

Yeah enough of this softly softly approach with this moron.

• Like 1

Lurie:

Howie is great! He attracts the best people!! Everything about Football Operations is Super!! Super confident they can draft and acquire FA's to get back to greatness!!

Reporter: Then why have the drafts been poor???

Lurie: There are ups and downs with the draft!! Every team has them. The final 4 playoff teams from 2017 are a mess right now. Not Howie's fault!!

Eagles Nation: Howie is staying...Awwwwww FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...................

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Lurie:

Howie is great! He attracts the best people!! Everything about Football Operations is Super!! Super confident they can draft and acquire FA's to get back to greatness!!

Reporter: Then why have the drafts been poor???

Lurie: There are ups and downs with the draft!! Every team has them. The final 4 playoff teams from 2017 are a mess right now. Not Howie's fault!!

Eagles Nation: Howie is staying...Awwwwww FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...................

Yuuuuup