EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is so stupid 

OT should just be sudden death, but FG's aren't allowed. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@4for4EaglesNest

I tried to send you a message but couldn't.  They are having vaccines in Johnston County here:

https://www.johnstonnc.com/covid19/files/Prevaccination_Covid_Reg_Form.pdf

https://www.johnstonnc.com/covid19/#vaccine 

It's group 3 which may apply to you if you are out traveling for your job. 

league is about to go through 4 of the more interesting weeks ever, & all the conversation is still about QB’s. They matter a lot, but the rest of the story is going mostly untold. There is a lot going on behind the scenes. It’s going to be a great opportunity for smart teams

32 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

The NFL is looking to finalize frameworks of new TV rights agreements in the next few weeks and wants to do so before setting the 2021 salary cap figure in March, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

that was from February 10 

The 2020 salary cap was roughly $198 million per team. Salary cap analysis website Overthecap.com estimated the 2021 cap number would reach $180 million. One of the people suggested $185 million would be the number, but either way, it will mark the first salary cap decrease since 2011. But that cap is projected to skyrocket to over $200 million for the 2022 season.

As of now, a new cap figure needs to be in place by March 17.

That sounds like they'll move some money into 2021 to even out the cap hit (players want this, otherwise it'll be slaughter time for veterans), and lower the escalation in the later years under the new contracts.

Just now, Original Sin said:
league is about to go through 4 of the more interesting weeks ever, & all the conversation is still about QB’s. They matter a lot, but the rest of the story is going mostly untold. There is a lot going on behind the scenes. It’s going to be a great opportunity for smart teams

LOL what does this even mean, it feels like a horoscope, vague and all encompasing. Any mildly interesting thing that occurs can be used as justification of his prediction. Joe friggin banner smh

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well we have seen worse rules get approved. Still think a team losing a minority promoted to a HC or GM that team gets (2) 3rd round picks is the stupidest rule ever approved by the NFL. When you start approving a racist rule just to try and please and try and look good to one group it is hands down the dumbest rule ever. 

I still think forcing the Redskins to change their name was just as ridiculous. 

I think Earth needs a reboot.

137301.cd96e228-6b6d-4c97-a439-6a8025578

I think the Redskins change was more them trying to get good PR after the sexual abuse allegations

46 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is so stupid 

Pretty soon team lawyer will be a roster position given all of the rules.  

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think the Redskins change was more them trying to get good PR after the sexual abuse allegations

Redskin is clearly a derogatory term.

Warriors, Chiefs, "Fighting Sioux" are not, anymore than Vikings.

1 hour ago, Saltpeter said:

Yep. So much good information. Avant had some especially interesting insight, of which I remember the following:

-- Said that Carson is a net average player with great physical ability who doesn't see the field well in disguised coverages. Said receivers were highly frustrated by Wentz missing reads last year and had to be diligent to stay professional and go all out every play.

-- Implied that Jalen Reagor was a project. The specific line was something like, "I would have taken Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray with that 1st round pick; you can't use that pick on a project." Considering Avant worked with Reagor, I'd love to hear more about where Reagor started and where he ended up.

-- Believed the team desperately needs a power complement to Sanders. Said something like, "At the end of games and in the playoffs, you usually have to run through people, not around them." Believed that "run through people" mentality applied to WR as well.

Reagor was a project, players like him were hurt by loss of mini-camps, exhibition games. We'll see what Sirianni can do with him.

Definitely need to pick up a power back as a complement to Sanders and Scott. Balance.

I think Doug did a number on Carson, while the injury had an impact, he wasn't the same QB mentally after Reich left.

22 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

OT should just be sudden death, but FG's aren't allowed. 

56 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think it’s going to be a very weird year. Are the major players going to sign long term with the cap situation, or take 1-2 year deals to hit FA when things are back to normal? I expect at least one team to sign a ton of guys to short deals and try to build a dream team and buy a championship. 

I think it will be a blend of both, but many good players are going to hit the street and some team will snap them up with cap space.  The cap will return with a vengeance soon, so contract structure will be a bigger deal than usual.

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I didn't say it wasn't. What I said was they changed it because they wanted good PR after their sex abuse allegation scandals. Snyder is on record saying he would never change the name, allegations come out and the first thing they do is abruptly change the name which got people talking about that and stop talking about the other allegations. 

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Yes, two or three "dream teams" will fail.

WTF does that even mean?  There can only be one Super Bowl Champion and then varying degrees of failure.   We are likely in the "epic" or "apocalyptic" portion of the failure scale.

9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

bingo, same with braves and seminoles 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I didn't say it wasn't. What I said was they changed it because they wanted good PR after their sex abuse allegation scandals. Snyder is on record saying he would never change the name, allegations come out and the first thing they do is abruptly change the name which got people talking about that and stop talking about the other allegations. 

Bingo!  I was in the DC area at the time and he would have done anything to have positive PR.  He could/should have done it long ago, but he was NEVER going to bend..

42 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

It’s a fascinating wrinkle that would truly revolutionize overtime and — more importantly — make it fair to both teams.

So essentially they're saying a coin toss is unfair?  

Are we cancelling the coin toss now?  What a week!  Mr. Potato Head, Dr. Seuss, and the coin toss....what is this world coming to?

32 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

@4for4EaglesNest

I tried to send you a message but couldn't.  They are having vaccines in Johnston County here:

https://www.johnstonnc.com/covid19/files/Prevaccination_Covid_Reg_Form.pdf

https://www.johnstonnc.com/covid19/#vaccine 

It's group 3 which may apply to you if you are out traveling for your job. 

His old arse definitely qualifies 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I hope, but I could easily see him being moved as a courtesy to KC to play with his brother.  Their center is a FA.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934460-brandon-marshall-house-of-athlete-to-host-combine-for-2021-nfl-draft-prospects

First I heard of this but there is a mini combine tomorrow that will be live streamed as well as on Fox Sports. I think it's only 50ish prospects but names rumored to be their are Mond, Etienne, Stokes Jr, Terrance Marshall, Kary Vincent Jr, and both Surratts, 

12 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

I thought Allen had a huge Bust flag

He DID have a bust flag - until he fixed his problems. It is possible unless there's some missing physical attribute like measuring his 40 time with an hourglass.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934460-brandon-marshall-house-of-athlete-to-host-combine-for-2021-nfl-draft-prospects

First I heard of this but there is a mini combine tomorrow that will be live streamed as well as on Fox Sports. I think it's only 50ish prospects but names rumored to be their are Mond, Etienne, Stokes Jr, Terrance Marshall, Kary Vincent Jr, and both Surratts, 

This is pretty cool for a few reasons.  First, I like to see Brandon Marshall having post career success.  He easily could have gone a different direction with his mental condition but he really seems to want to help others.

Second, we already had the EXOS combine and adding this to it could really help out down the road.  Having more combine options besides the NFL combine could potentially help small school prospects in the future.  The only concern with these combines is that teams rely on the reported numbers from the facility.  Not that it's a bad thing but the EXOS numbers seemed to be inflated.  Be interesting to see how it goes.  I'm curious to see what Etienne runs.

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

133C9C1A-A360-49B3-ACD7-61AAD6A874C6.jpeg

Typical bs you wish was true 

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

This is pretty cool for a few reasons.  First, I like to see Brandon Marshall having post career success.  He easily could have gone a different direction with his mental condition but he really seems to want to help others.

Second, we already had the EXOS combine and adding this to it could really help out down the road.  Having more combine options besides the NFL combine could potentially help small school prospects in the future.  The only concern with these combines is that teams rely on the reported numbers from the facility.  Not that it's a bad thing but the EXOS numbers seemed to be inflated.  Be interesting to see how it goes.  I'm curious to see what Etienne runs.

Supposedly they hired the same company that times at the NFL combine and are bringing in Hue Jackson, Chad Johnson, Ryan Clark, Fred Taylor and Channing Crowder to run the position drills so they are going full third party. That in theory should prevent some boosted up numbers. I don't know who EXOS used but with the numbers they were putting out I wouldn't be surprised if it was in house. 

53 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Pretty soon team lawyer will be a roster position given all of the rules.  

Know anyone that would want that job?

Archived