EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Marvin Harrison comp for me

This is where I would love to see how he tests.  He didn't do any drills.  No short cone, no shuttle, vertical, 40 or broad jump.  All we know is he is 6' 166.   His tape is great, there's no denying that.

Greg Rousseau looks pretty good on tape but his awful testing showed another thing.

We saw Marvin Harrison workout, we saw DJack run.  We know nothing else about Smith.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Desertbirds said:

No, the point is that you claimed it was an "extensive" interview. Given that it was a multi-year and multi-million dollar investment, I would call it cursory.

Dillard in the 20s was a great pick, he was a development project which is why he dropped, all this 20/20 hindsight is nonsense. They didn't have him in for a visit b/c their scouts didn't think he'd be available which shows you how highly they had him rated. If he was in this draft, a lot of people would be drooling over him with that college career and workout.

Dillard would have started last year if he didn't tear the bicep. Stoutland didn't feel Mialata was ready. Dillard probably have had some growing pains, adjusted after the break, and be set at LT this year.

Crap happens. But you don't trade him until you know how Lane's ankle is holding up.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Former NFL corner on a corner I know nothing about. 

Yeah for some reason,  I've never paid any attention to Griffin. Probably PAC-12 defense bias.

7 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Doubt Waddle will be there but im in favor moving back

Should be a swap of first, a first next yea rnad a 3 or a 4 this year

That's pretty much what we got for 6, we aren't going to get that for 12 since Howie set his bar so low already.

Per pff 

Total 2020 WAR on current roster at QB, WR and CB (i.e. the positions that matter most)

1. Buccaneers: 7.1
2. Packers: 6.6
3. Bills: 6.2
-----------
31. Lions: 0.5
32. Eagles: -0.2

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Dillard in the 20s was a great pick, he was a development project which is why he dropped, all this 20/20 hindsight is nonsense. They didn't have him in for a visit b/c their scouts didn't think he'd be available which shows you how highly they had him rated. If he was in this draft, a lot of people would be drooling over him with that college career and workout.

Dillard would have started last year if he didn't tear the bicep. Stoutland didn't feel Mialata was ready. Dillard probably have had some growing pains, adjusted after the break, and be set at LT this year.

Crap happens. But you don't trade him until you know how Lane's ankle is holding up.

Yes, because prospects never drop unexpectedly in the NFL Draft.

Woulda, coulda, and shoulda.  As of today, what has Dillard provided to justify a first-round selection? He cannot be called a "great" pick.

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Putting way too much into workouts. 

But it has to have some importance?  If it didn't then Greg Rousseau should be a top 10 pick.  He was right there with Chase Young in 2019 as far as productivity on the field.  However, he tested poorly and many consider him a 2nd rounder. 

I know that's a stretch as a comparison but testing matters IMO.  

Well, given Hurts played 4 games, the WRs were all rookies, Fulgham and JJAW, and Schwartz hung his CBs out to dry, not a surprise.

Doubt those rankings will remain static in 2021. So I don't give them a second thought.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

But it has to have some importance?  If it didn't then Greg Rousseau should be a top 10 pick.  He was right there with Chase Young in 2019 as far as productivity on the field.  However, he tested poorly and many consider him a 2nd rounder. 

College productivity is almost meaningless, it's lack of production that matters, i.e., how can someone with so much talent do so little?

Scouts don't care about numbers, they care about matchups against NFL caliber competition, beating someone who can't even get signed as a UDFA is meaningless (i.e. a tier below who' you'll face in the second half of the first exhibition game, and we know how meaningless those matchups are)..

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Well, given Hurts played 4 games, the WRs were all rookies, Fulgham and JJAW, and Schwartz hung his CBs out to dry, not a surprise.

Doubt those rankings will remain static in 2021. So I don't give them a second thought.

Here's hoping we can leap-frog the Lions!

Who knows?

One reason I'm so happy to get rid of Doug was the regression of skill players the last three years, Nick may be no better, but I doubt he's worse.

We knew we weren't getting better under Doug and Schwartz, at least there's some hope with Sirianni and Gannon.

I really hated Schwartz's defense the last couple years, like JJ, he played for the stuff against the run, and to stop teams inside the 20. Both coaches were vulnerable to veteran QBs. Difference was JJ was the mad blitzer and challenged WRs, Schwartz didn't like to blitz and played soft coverage, hoping the QB would make a mistake. In today's NFL, most QBs can make routine passes all day if they're not under pressure and don't have to throw into tight windows.

At least Gannon seems to like to press with deep coverage, and has learned the "A" gap blitz from Zimmer, He may get burnt, but the Eagles will at least challenge QBs.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

If the Eagles take Lance at 12 I might be done with the franchise. Not actually, but that would be horrendous.

That would just be a very small blip for me of all the stupid things this franchise has done since I was 9.

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What guys do without pads in track and field events holds so little relevance to me compared to what they actually show their ability is with the pads on during games. 

He obviously has lateral quickness with how he so naturally is able to navigate through crowds of defenders in the open field. 

17 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Has nothing to do with howie, or how bad he is.

Thats the cost for going from low 20s to 10-12. 

Cardinals have pick 16. 

The max we would get to move back from 12 to 16 is a 3rd. 

46 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Trust the process.

If they like Lance as a 2-3 year project, he makes sense at #12 but not at #6.

No way he can play as a rookie, and would be a struggle even in his second season, he has basically one year of experience in midget football.

So you'd want a couple years of practice and 8 or 9 exhibition games under his belt before you'd ideally want him to start in his 3rd season.

Hey Howie, I don't think you have 2-3 years to develop him. Better check elsewhere

1 minute ago, greend said:

That would just be a very small blip for me of all the stupid things this franchise has done since I was 9.

That would be next level stupid, even for this franchise:

1) Move up to get a franchise QB. Sign said franchise QB to a big deal. 

2) Immediately sign a back up QB when the team is in desperate need for help elsewhere.

3) Bench your franchise QB for the new guy (albeit it's Wentz's fault with the terrible play)

4) Anoint the new guy as the starter for the remainder of the year and seemingly through the off-season.

5) Settle for Lance when a) the team is no where near competing, b) he's extremely raw, c) he comes from the same school that QB1 came from and "failed" and d) you just pissed off your one QB, so you decide it's a good idea to piss of the next one, too.

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

That would be next level stupid, even for this franchise:

1) Move up to get a franchise QB. Sign said franchise QB to a big deal. 

2) Immediately sign a back up QB when the team is in desperate need for help elsewhere.

3) Bench your franchise QB for the new guy (albeit it's Wentz's fault with the terrible play)

4) Anoint the new guy as the starter for the remainder of the year and seemingly through the off-season.

5) Settle for Lance when a) the team is no where near competing, b) he's extremely raw, c) he comes from the same school that QB1 came from and "failed" and d) you just pissed off your one QB, so you decide it's a good idea to piss of the next one, too.

All those are separate from Lance imo. Making Lance a small blip.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Should there be more to that clip or audio? Not sure how showing him playing rock paper scissors would mean the Eagles are put on him. 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

If Mac Jones and Trey Lance are at 12, The Eagles need to go to the highest bidder. 

If it's just Lance, I say take it.

Why not just take Lance if he's still on the board?

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Should there be more to that clip or audio? Not sure how showing him playing rock paper scissors would mean the Eagles are put on him. 

OMG dude its a joke, he lost the game of rock paper scissors.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

The trade back if Lance/Jones are still on the board could be huge. 

I love Lance. But you could be talking 1st +Next years first + a 3rd + ?  

I doubt it! I don't think they'd get that much. 

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

OMG dude its a joke, he lost the game of rock paper scissors.

It didn't look like he did though.  Devonta went paper and 4 looks like he went rock.  Paper beats rock. 

Archived