EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

What the hell is wrong with WIP? Did they not run this press conference? Not even talking about it right now. 

Screw baseball who the hell cares about baseball. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Eagles take Lance at 12 I might be done with the franchise. Not actually, but that would be horrendous.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I was going to post this.  They battled for sure.  No clear cut winner, just great players going against each other. 

Smith without a doubt has a knack for making great catches and making them look easy.  He's a willing blocker.  Still, that frame just scares the crap out of me.  It's just my opinion.  I really think the next tier WR group is just as solid and they all have explosive traits.

The more I watch Rashod Bateman the more I really like his game.  He's a guy who was listed at 6-2 210 but is "only" 6-0 190.  He's smooth, a hands catcher and he just separates from guys.  Really fun player to watch.

I see nothing special or particularly appealing from Bateman.  He seems like an extremely ordinary WR with a ceiling of being a #2 or #3 WR option on a team. 

I just don't get how frame is an issue for WR of they have the route running and the footwork to make it difficult for them to be jammed at the line. 

In other news, here's a list of WRs at the combine since 2000 that have weighed 170 or less. Some company for Smith, eh?

20210421_123132.jpg

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

If the Eagles take Lance at 12 I might be done with the franchise. Not actually, but that would be horrendous.

There's alot of horrendous with this team right now, including the apparent starting QB.  I'm just rolling with the punches.  Whatever happens at 12, happens.

37 minutes ago, RLC said:

They do have higher injury rates than other programs, because players at Alabama beat each other up.

Still, a lot of the team's answers would lean towards Devonta Smith.

I think a problem with Alabama is similar to Miami a couple decades ago when they had that great DL, but only one was a successful pro, when you have so much talent and depth, you don't get to see players at 60 snaps to see how they deal with fatigue, and it's too easy to generate mismatches. So evaluation is tougher - look at Jones, how much pressure did he come under all year? He'll probably see more pressure in his first NFL game than all last season.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

TATE before the draft: "Smith isn't even 170lb, no way he would survive in the NFL. Todd Pinkston 2.0. Pass"

TATE after Smith becomes a star: "The guy dominated the most psychical conference in the country, he destroyed every defense he played against, why would you doubt his physicality"

I'm not a Tate moron. I'd bet I've been on the EMB longer than you have

Smith roasted every single corner he went up against. This conversation is insane to me 

15 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Can you articulate what you are trying to show me with your links? 

Stoutland had an extensive interview over the phone, and no one suggested there were character issues until after his rookie season.

Trust the process.

If they like Lance as a 2-3 year project, he makes sense at #12 but not at #6.

No way he can play as a rookie, and would be a struggle even in his second season, he has basically one year of experience in midget football.

So you'd want a couple years of practice and 8 or 9 exhibition games under his belt before you'd ideally want him to start in his 3rd season.

20 minutes ago, Swoop said:

In other news, here's a list of WRs at the combine since 2000 that have weighed 170 or less. Some company for Smith, eh?

20210421_123132.jpg

Don't care

Smith is a combo of Hopkins and DeSean. If you guys can't see it, I don't know what to say

I would bet Smith shredded Patrick Surtain in practice every single day 

7 minutes ago, mattmcginley7 said:

I'm not a Tate moron. I'd bet I've been on the EMB longer than you have

Smith roasted every single corner he went up against. This conversation is insane to me 

My comparison for Smith all along has been Steve Smith when he was at USC.  He looked unreal in that offense with Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett, Reggie Bush and Lendale White.  I think they have a very similar style of game.  I just don't think he's going to the same player he was in college as he will be in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Stoutland had an extensive interview over the phone, and no one suggested there were character issues until after his rookie season.

Define "extensive."  The accounts that I have read indicated that the call was two or three hours at best.

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Marvin Harrison comp for me

Agreed. I do understand the Issac Bruce comparisons though. 

2-3 hours is a pretty extensive interview, when it's with the one guy who can call your bluffs, Stoutland had watched the film on him, so he could zero in on the aspects he wanted to get a better feel for.

Point is, there were no rumors of issues with Dillard, he dropped for the simple reason he wasn't NFL ready coming out of that system, and just like smaller college players, if teams don't think you're a day one starter, they discount your value. That was probably less of an issue with Stoutland, who'd probably bench Sewell the first few games because he'd deem his technique to be inadequate. Stoutland's pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to technique, and that's probably why he's such a good coach, do it the right way, do it my way.

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That isn't true though, character issues came up during training camp his rookie year. There was an incident of a fight he was evolved in and then was unusually emotional for long after, he had to have Howie and Lurie a month others come over and talk to him which many beats as the time said was extremely unusual. 

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

My comparison for Smith all along has been Steve Smith when he was at USC.  He looked unreal in that offense with Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett, Reggie Bush and Lendale White.  I think they have a very similar style of game.  I just don't think he's going to the same player he was in college as he will be in the NFL.

Devonta has A++ hands and body control. He wins at the top of the catch point every time no matter how much contact he has on him. Catches everything in stride effortlessly without ever having to change speed. His sideline awareness is also Hopkins level spectacular 

Then his route running and speed are also awesome. He's open all the damn time always behind the D. He ran 10.6 100m in high school. People who think he can't run blow my mind. I can't find any play where he was caught from behind

And he has no problem making people miss and breaking tackles, which would be a problem if it were a thing but it's not, even at his 165lb playing weight 

Had 0 problem getting off press too

You can line him anywhere and he's gonna smoke corners in the NFL. I just hope so bad we're not this stupid to pass on him 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-nick-sirianni-rock-paper-scissors-nfl-draft

I think this gets blown out of proportion.

Competitiveness, like work ethic, is one of those "intangibles." But it is a key element of players who play above their talent.

How does someone like Charles Barkley at 6'4 lead the league in rebounds? Because he wanted it more.

So all Sirianni is saying is it's one of the qualities he values in players, because the guys who hate to lose will embrace the challenge of a rebuiding team, go 4-13 and they'll spend the summer working to get better and pushing their teammates, not drinking beer and playing golf.

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Trust the process.

If they like Lance as a 2-3 year project, he makes sense at #12 but not at #6.

No way he can play as a rookie, and would be a struggle even in his second season, he has basically one year of experience in midget football.

So you'd want a couple years of practice and 8 or 9 exhibition games under his belt before you'd ideally want him to start in his 3rd season.

:roll:

What process is that?

The one that results in a first-round pick without due diligence?

The one that has left the Eagles bereft of young talent?

The one that has not produced a single Pro Bowl player in recent years? (Except, of course, the one they shipped out of town.)

The one with one of the worst ROI?

The one with a meddling owner who overrides the experts?

The one where the draft board is largely ignored?

FYI, Peter Schrager had this in his mock draft this week. Waddle is clearly their guy given that they already have possession WRs (Green, Hopkins, Kirk - sort of).

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Devonte Smith is the Aldi Version of Antonio Brown. 

Obviously we can say this about a bunch of players but his NFL career solely rests on where hes drafted. 

If he has to be the #1 out of the gate, or goes to a defensive first team, he's in trouble.

As mentioned before, wouldnt be shocked if he slips to the 17range

He's faster and longer. He'll do what AB has done in his career with the right offense and QB

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

2-3 hours is a pretty extensive interview, when it's with the one guy who can call your bluffs, Stoutland had watched the film on him, so he could zero in on the aspects he wanted to get a better feel for.

Point is, there were no rumors of issues with Dillard, he dropped for the simple reason he wasn't NFL ready coming out of that system, and just like smaller college players, if teams don't think you're a day one starter, they discount your value. That was probably less of an issue with Stoutland, who'd probably bench Sewell the first few games because he'd deem his technique to be inadequate. Stoutland's pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to technique, and that's probably why he's such a good coach, do it the right way, do it my way.

No, the point is that you claimed it was an "extensive" interview. Given that it was a multi-year and multi-million dollar investment, I would call it cursory.

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Smith was more explosive and more physical, I'd say Harrison is the closest, it's not about top speed, that's DeSean, but running the route tree perfectly. Isaac Bruce is a good comp for the same reason, average speed but it didn't matter b/c he'd gain a couple steps of separation off his cuts.

Archived