EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I remember 3 months ago we would be "stupid” to take Pitts at 6 😂😂😂

Those were the people who believed he was just a TE no matter what you told them, even though Kelce in KC can’t be defended, even though a TE helped get New England get to few SB’s.  Even though a TE that gets off the line like my dead grandmother just scored in the SB. 
 Pitts is the BPA at #3 and it’s not close. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect there to be 4 QB's go off the board in the top 10 (Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Fields) with one team moving up to get their guy.  There is also a chance that Lance goes as well if somebody wants to roll the dice on a player that could be a future star.  I hope that Lance is not there at 12 because Howie "QB factory" Roseman most likely will not be able to resist.      

The LT's Sewell and Slater will be sought after as all the experts say that this a bad draft for OT's that drops off drastically after Darrisaw.  LT's don't grow on trees and teams know that they need one to have any chance of being competitive.  I could see a team moving up to get one of the top OT.  Frankly, if Slater is there at 12, I would run that card to the podium.  That guy can play any position along the line and I think the reports of his short arms are overblown.  He dominated and erased Chase Young, who is the best pass rusher to come out in recent years.  Knowing the value of LT's, I would be shocked if Slater was there at 12.        

Outside of QB's and OT's, you are looking at Pitts, Chase also going top 10.  So, you are looking at a possibility of Surtain, Horn, Devonte Smith, Waddle, Parsons, Paye being there.  Of those players, Paye is only player that is questionable to be in the elite category, based on production, but may be a safest highest floor pick.  Based on his numbers, he seems to have good to great athleticism and, if he is a hard worker, could have good upside.  I would personally go with one of the CB's as the team is utterly devoid of talent in the back end.  I would be slightly disappointed with Paye at 12 but I understand the philosophy of building along the lines.           

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I call it the circle of draft blame. I can bring the graphic out again if need be

I made a simple flow chart so these idiots can finally understand

Eagles draft.png

Press conference after the Eagles draft Kwity Paye:

Howie "He's a guy we had rated right near the top of our draft board.  If we had stayed at 6 he very likely would have been our selection there.  We feel like we were able to get a heckofa player in Paye and are very happy with our selection." 

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Press conference after the Eagles draft Kwity Paye:

Howie "He's a guy we had rated right near the top of our draft board.  If we had stayed at 6 he very likely would have been our selection there.  We feel like we were able to get a heckofa player in Paye and are very happy with our selection." 

"You know games are won in the trenches and we're going to continue to build on that. It's important to get pressure on the QB and he's a lot like Brandon (Graham) was coming out. I'd say he turned out to be a heck of a player for us and we see those same traits in Kwity"

1 hour ago, purplefiggy said:

you think Teddy for a 6th takes them out of the running for a QB?

Remember when people thought Teddy was a franchise QB?

3 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

remember when people thought drafting Hurts was a good idea?  Good times...

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That injury was bad, ruined his career.

It was terrible. Was never more than a solid backup.

15 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

In fairness, he essentially had 3 years of his career cut off due to injury just when he was in the process of developing. Who knows what he would be as QB if he hadn't had that knee injury.  

1 minute ago, Desertbirds said:

How many times did Afan vote?

Only 111

1 hour ago, Cliftoma said:

I would expect there to be 4 QB's go off the board in the top 10 (Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Fields) with one team moving up to get their guy.  There is also a chance that Lance goes as well if somebody wants to roll the dice on a player that could be a future star.  I hope that Lance is not there at 12 because Howie "QB factory" Roseman most likely will not be able to resist.      

The LT's Sewell and Slater will be sought after as all the experts say that this a bad draft for OT's that drops off drastically after Darrisaw.  LT's don't grow on trees and teams know that they need one to have any chance of being competitive.  I could see a team moving up to get one of the top OT.  Frankly, if Slater is there at 12, I would run that card to the podium.  That guy can play any position along the line and I think the reports of his short arms are overblown.  He dominated and erased Chase Young, who is the best pass rusher to come out in recent years.  Knowing the value of LT's, I would be shocked if Slater was there at 12.        

Outside of QB's and OT's, you are looking at Pitts, Chase also going top 10.  So, you are looking at a possibility of Surtain, Horn, Devonte Smith, Waddle, Parsons, Paye being there.  Of those players, Paye is only player that is questionable to be in the elite category, based on production, but may be a safest highest floor pick.  Based on his numbers, he seems to have good to great athleticism and, if he is a hard worker, could have good upside.  I would personally go with one of the CB's as the team is utterly devoid of talent in the back end.  I would be slightly disappointed with Paye at 12 but I understand the philosophy of building along the lines.           

IMO, Surtain has the highest floor.

AND....Paye has the lowest ceiling of that group.

I could understand picking Paye over Horn (handsy CB).  But not over the three dudes from Tuscaloosa.

4 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

It was terrible. Was never more than a solid backup.

He was an average starting QB.  

9 hours ago, ManuManu said:

No matter how you want to slice it, Howie ultimately is the decision maker. He didn’t see Jefferson becoming what he was. If he did, he’d be an Eagle. Blame Doug all you want, but Howie building the slowest offense in the NFL led to the moment. The missed evaluation of Jefferson was the exclamation point. 

Exactly, who the f cares what Doug says, if howie was even half the talent evaluator he and Lurie  thought he was, he would  have thanked Doug for his opinion and laughed behind closed doors after taking Jefferson because everyone knew Jefferson was the right and easy choice. The Vikings were literally laughing and in disbelief in their war room. Why would you take a much lesser prospect knowingly, in round 1 no less, to appease a head coach with no power. Makes no sense. He shoulda told Doug right then and there they are not in the same league Doug. Period, done. Just proves even more that Howie is not a talent evaluator. 

6 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Jordan Hicks 2015 but that was a Chip pick.

As for offense you could say Sanders or Goedert. 

None of them are hardly the big impact players that even teams like the Cowboys have.   I really like both players, but the team is just average in some many areas. Even the stars are potential over reality.

16 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

IMO, Surtain has the highest floor.

AND....Paye has the lowest ceiling of that group.

I could understand picking Paye over Horn (handsy CB).  But not over the three dudes from Tuscaloosa.

I could agree with the first part of that statement.  

From the production standpoint, I can see where we see a low ceiling for Paye.  But, from the athletic testing standpoint, I don't know how it gets much better than the numbers that Paye put up.   Here is an article about his upside and downside:

https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-michigans-kwity-paye-is-an-elite-athlete-but-whats-his-upside-161822668.html

Upside: Tremendous athletic prowess. Explosive ability with a twitchy lower half. Displays some excellent quickness, agility and change-of-direction skills. Finishing speed and quickness evident. Great upper-body power. Thickly developed lower body. Big hands (10 inches).

Terrific pro day workout results — namely in the 40-yard dash (4.57 seconds), vertical jump (35 1/2 inches) and broad jump (118 inches). Also repped out an outstanding 36 bench-press reps — with 33-inch arms. Former prep track star who was a state champ in the 4x100 relay (he ran anchor) and long jump, as well as a standout in the shotput and 100 meters.

Wasn’t even able to display near-legendary 3-cone drill skills — he opted out of that and the short shuttle because of a quadriceps injury — after previously recording a stunning 6.37-second time. (For reference, no edge rusher has ever bettered a 6.75 at the NFL scouting combine.)

Gives max effort every snap, it seems. High-motor player who seldom gives up on plays. Possess great late-rush potential — doesn’t stall when initial move is stymied. Racks up backside pursuit plays. Wears down opposing tackles with his drive and energy. Forces opponents to bring their best.

Michigan EDGE Kwity Paye is an athletically blessed, high-motor rusher. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

Michigan EDGE Kwity Paye is an athletically blessed, high-motor rusher. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

Strong run defender. Maintains good pad level — low-cut and doesn’t make himself easy to block. Sets a good, hard edge despite lacking ideal length. Uses strong hands well to gain early advantages. Plays with good leverage vs. the run. Works laterally well to string plays outside and make tackles from the backside. Played on the boundary often for his athletic traits. Can beat up tight ends all day.

Pass-rush potential to be unlocked. Explosiveness off the snap gives him a natural edge to make strides. Speed-to-power rushes could be his calling card. Goes right after the tackle’s outside shoulder and can exploit oversetters. Had some exciting flashes in 2019 tape. Effective on loops and stunts vs. slower interior blockers.

High-floor prospect. Hard worker with determination to better his craft. Accountable and reliable — effort doesn’t waver when times get tough. Versatile enough — lined up at both edge spots (two- and three-point stances) and inside (even as a nose tackle) and occasionally dropped in short zones.

Downside: Better tester than player right now — film still shows some rawness and undeveloped traits. Turned in a better season in 2019 than in 2020 (because of injuries and canceled games). So-so career production — 11.5 sacks, one forced fumble in 38 games. Lacks ideal experience — 19 career starts and just over 1,300 defensive snaps.

Still developing his instincts — more of a read-and-react player. Can look out of sorts vs. misdirection and option looks. Tries to win more with natural athleticism than technique. Good for about one missed tackle per game.

Pass-rush skills remain a bit crude. Doesn’t set up blockers well enough. Lacks counters and creativity in his rush plan. Won’t get away with the straight bull rushes in the NFL that he defaulted to so often in college. Not quite as loose-hipped as you’d imagine for his athletic traits — has trouble carving the edge. Was often left single-blocked outside.

Lack of ideal length for the position. Arms are on the shorter side at 33 inches and doesn’t do much to disrupt passing windows. Could take a better upfield rush approach to negate lack of length.

Projection prospect with work to be done. Requires more coaching and seasoning to coax out his max potential. Battled nagging injuries throughout his career despite only missing a handful of games. Limited special-teams experience or obvious value.

Best-suited destination: Paye’s athletic traits make him a scheme-versatile player who could be tried in a stand-up rush role or allowed to attack on either side. His role in Year 1 might be relegated to rotational rusher, but Paye has starter potential in time and should profile as no worse than a solid starter with his raw traits and exciting athleticism.

5 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

I could agree with the first part of that statement.  

From the production standpoint, I can see where we see a low ceiling for Paye.  But, from the athletic testing standpoint, I don't know how it gets much better than the numbers that Paye put up.   Here is an article about his upside and downside:

https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-draft-michigans-kwity-paye-is-an-elite-athlete-but-whats-his-upside-161822668.html

Best-suited destination: Paye’s athletic traits make him a scheme-versatile player who could be tried in a stand-up rush role or allowed to attack on either side. His role in Year 1 might be relegated to rotational rusher, but Paye has starter potential in time and should profile as no worse than a solid starter with his raw traits and exciting athleticism.

I want more that just a potential "solid starter" at #12.

That's the place you want to get a pro bowl player at a premium position.

Archived