EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Right but what I'm saying is they will be replaced by someone making less. So the net effect will be positive. The only two rookies with a bigger cap number is Smith and Dickerson. All the other ones are replacing the cut guys at less cost. 

Well, you are right, but the math was flawed.  You said it would free up $4M, it won't.  And then there's the question of how many players end up on IR, PUP, etc.  and they need to put more cheap players on the total.   AND... is there any extra for an in-season injury?  Seems like there's not.   

In other words, Howie has painted them into a corner for this year's salary cap... and he's painted himself in pretty well for 2022 as well.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:
dis·in·gen·u·ous
/ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/

adjective

1. not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
    "he was being somewhat disingenuous as well as cynical"
    Swoop

As soon as I saw you quoted me, I knew you'd mention it. Hilarious, truthfully made me LOL

12 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

They aren't signing players to big numbers.   So, they are concerned about it.    And as was discussed, Maddox may be a cut because of his $2M salary.     And many cuts after June 1 pushes some of that money to the next year, a Howie specialty.  

Thats silliness. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

It's possible.

anything is possible. but its just a really dumb idea. 

20 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Moderna. Thankfully I took off today because I was in bed till about 2. Finally mustered up the energy to go for a walk and get food. It’s like a bad hangover with a sinus infection and slight fever on top. Haven’t felt this sick in years 

****ot!  

Hope you feel better!  

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

anything is possible. but its just a really dumb idea. 

This coaching staff has no reason to be loyal to any of the previous staff's drafted players.  He's got no guarantee of a roster spot.

9 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure their starting 5 is set outside of LT.  Not sure where NFL.com is getting that other than they forgot about Seamulo.

I think NFL.com is assuming what will happen after camp.  This is what they had to say about it.

Second-round pick Landon Dickerson will likely battle for one of the guard spots. 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, you are right, but the math was flawed.  You said it would free up $4M, it won't.  And then there's the question of how many players end up on IR, PUP, etc.  and they need to put more cheap players on the total.   AND... is there any extra for an in-season injury?  Seems like there's not.   

In other words, Howie has painted them into a corner for this year's salary cap... and he's painted himself in pretty well for 2022 as well.

It will, but it will be immediately used when it bumps up the guys replacing plus 52 and 53. I probably should have worded it better, but you get the point. 

There's still moves to be made also. Jeffery/Jackson coming off opens $4M. Ertz resolution post June 1 opens up $8.5M. And there will be other guys cut that will have some dead money but still open up money. What it comes down to is they are tight up against the cap so they cant make major moves this year or sign anyone to big money deals, not that they really would at this point anyway. But they also will have some wiggle room for bottom paid players. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It will, but it will be immediately used when it bumps up the guys replacing plus 52 and 53. I probably should have worded it better, but you get the point. 

There's still moves to be made also. Jeffery/Jackson coming off opens $4M. Ertz resolution post June 1 opens up $8.5M. And there will be other guys cut that will have some dead money but still open up money. What it comes down to is they are tight up against the cap so they cant make major moves this year or sign anyone to big money deals, not that they really would at this point anyway. But they also will have some wiggle room for bottom paid players. 

Yes.   Having wiggle room to churn the bottom of the roster is far from being in a good cap position though.   That's called 'scraping by'. 

And we don't know what the Ertz resolution will be.  It might free up cap space, or it might not.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes.   Having wiggle room to churn the bottom of the roster is far from being in a good cap position though.   That's called 'scraping by'. 

And we don't know what the Ertz resolution will be.  It might free up cap space, or it might not.

No disagreement there. I never made the argument the cap situation overall is good. I also don't think its a one year ripping off the band aid as they already tried to spin it. It's going to be a scab you hope doesn't get infected during the healing process. 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think NFL.com is assuming what will happen after camp.  This is what they had to say about it.

Second-round pick Landon Dickerson will likely battle for one of the guard spots. 

Dont see him beating out Brooks and Seamulo but both those guys will likely miss games at some point.  So Dickerson will see action eventually. 

If Dickerson is a week 1 starter at either Guard spot I'd be shocked.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

No disagreement there. I never made the argument the cap situation overall is good. I also don't think its a one year ripping off the band aid as they already tried to spin it. It's going to be a scab you hope doesn't get infected during the healing process. 

Definitely.  It's already hit 2022 hard.

3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Dont see him beating out Brooks and Seamulo but both those guys will likely miss games at some point.  So Dickerson will see action eventually. 

If Dickerson is healthy then he has every chance to unseat Seumalo at LG or he could allow them to trade Brooks.  He was out there at rookie camp with barely a sleeve on his knee.  I'd be shocked to see them rush him as well but if he's healthy, he makes the line better and makes one of the current starters expendable.  

I'm sticking to the we need CB2 argument.  One of Ertz, Dillard, Brooks or Seumalo could bring back a serviceable CB2 which is all I want at this point.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Diet Howie Roseman

It's like the opposite of Howie.  Howie was a nerdy guy who went to a football school.  Scott was a football guy who went to a nerdy school.  

26 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I don't think he will be cleared to play until October but I could be wrong.  

1 hour ago, SB52 said:

We all understand the guy will be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy. The issue is that he’s never stayed healthy.

The old Jordan hicks discussion. He’s great when he’s healthy which was known in college he never stays healthy. he was great when he played but always got hurt. Hats off stayed healthy in Arizona however he really wasn’t that good this past year (50 by pff and 61 the year prior). 

The Tucker pick up has gone very much under the radar... Given they've added Clark too that may spell the end for Dillard?

4 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

Post is obvious bait. Look at that dude's picture for christ's sake. I hate Twitter.

Who the Eff is Anthony Treash, and why should I care what he says, dude is probably a flat earth tater😒

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Tucker pick up has gone very much under the radar... Given they've added Clark too that may spell the end for Dillard?

Tucker is just the new Julian Vandervelde they will yo-yo on and off the team. He wasn't good enough the other 3 times they signed him, he's not going to be good enough now.

Guest justrelax
35 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If Dickerson is healthy then he has every chance to unseat Seumalo at LG or he could allow them to trade Brooks.  He was out there at rookie camp with barely a sleeve on his knee.  I'd be shocked to see them rush him as well but if he's healthy, he makes the line better and makes one of the current starters expendable.  

I'm sticking to the we need CB2 argument.  One of Ertz, Dillard, Brooks or Seumalo could bring back a serviceable CB2 which is all I want at this point.  

It's one thing to run around in shorts and another to go full contact. I think this is clearly Kelce's last year. Both Seumalo and Brooks are coming off injuries. I think they'd like to give Dickerson some time to heal further and learn Stoutland's system (although I expect it's pretty much what he installed at Alabama when he was there). If they're going to move one of the four guys you mention, it's got to be Ertz.

As regards beating out Seumalo, sure, he could. However, Seumalo is their only move guard. Replacing him with a more powerful but less agile or fast player will take away their staple run - the outside zone. I've made this argument before. It would fundamentally change their running game. I don't think Stoutland would like to do that. We had to do it last year because we didn't have Seumalo for much of the year and played Herbig instead. We saw how that worked.

Sports fandom is weird. One of the few professions where millions of people question how you operate daily, as if they know that sport better than you (a person who has been in this sport for years if not decades). People who study sports for a living get stuff wrong all the time.

Sometimes we, as fans, can be too emotional.

3 minutes ago, BGDutchNorris said:

Sports fandom is weird. One of the few professions where millions of people question how you operate daily, as if they know that sport better than you (a person who has been in this sport for years if not decades). People who study sports for a living get stuff wrong all the time.

Sometimes we, as fans, can be too emotional.

For me, watching Football is about entertainment first and foremost. So from my perspective there is no "too emotional" when it comes to my Eagles.

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

****ot!  

Hope you feel better!  

Went straight to my V 

6 minutes ago, justrelax said:

It's one thing to run around in shorts and another to go full contact. I think this is clearly Kelce's last year. Both Seumalo and Brooks are coming off injuries. I think they'd like to give Dickerson some time to heal further and learn Stoutland's system (although I expect it's pretty much what he installed at Alabama when he was there). If they're going to move one of the four guys you mention, it's got to be Ertz.

As regards beating out Seumalo, sure, he could. However, Seumalo is their only move guard. Replacing him with a more powerful but less agile or fast player will take away their staple run - the outside zone. I've made this argument before. It would fundamentally change their running game. I don't think Stoutland would like to do that. We had to do it last year because we didn't have Seumalo for much of the year and played Herbig instead. We saw how that worked.

Oh, I'm not saying he was out there planting and pushing off his knee but to not even have a brace on is a pretty big accomplishment for a big guy.  Heck, Kerryon Johnson said he's still going to wear a knee brace this year. 

Dickerson can more than hold his own pulling.   He might not look as "fast" as Seumalo but Dickerson is a damn house.  6-6 330 compared to 6-4 300 is a pretty big difference in body type.  Some of his best highlights at Alabama were of him pulling and destroying defenders.  

I've watched a lot of tape on Mailata and Herbig the past few months and one thing that stood out is how many times Seumalo was getting ABUSED.   There were so many plays where he's either getting driven in to the backfield or doesn't hit a single defender.  I'm more than happy if he gets replaced.

Archived