EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

7 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Or in this case the players can 'be professional' and do their job and stop using Covid as a bargaining tool.   The boycotts have nothing to do with Covid and everything to do with future negotiations, but they played the Covid card so that the PR wouldn't hit hard against them.    Boo-hoo.   "Do your job'.   Mini-camp isn't 'hitting' anyway.  At most they are in shells.

The Union will always look after their members and COVID was a perfect way to take away the bits of the offseason they didn't like. The sting in the tail is off campus workouts affecting players pay.  The Union should want players on campus, they aren't bright enough to think that one through.

Easier to drop soundbites into the press

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Swoop said:

To further illustrate why I take issue with Hurts, it's for plays like this. I went back and have been watching tape of Hurts and see this happen all too often, so far. Here he has two, potentially three wide open players. Instead, he stays focused on Alshon and then takes off running.

Screenshot_20210519-160629.jpg

This is the play in question.

image.png.e2118e9e70acda08529bcd53ebab368c.png

26 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Running is fine here. They are giving him the same yardage as the checkdown.

No it is not.  You really don't think Ertz on the run gets at least the 40 ??  A ball to the middle of the field gets you at least the 35.

21 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Sometimes screen shots don't show the whole picture.  Looks like we need about 25-30 yards to get a first down

And if you read the above, and got more yardage instead of the 3 yard scramble, we may have gone on 3rd down, but bad down and possession management on 2nd down caused the following.

image.png.b1fecf962b914dcf866e547b97ed1022.png

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I'm getting my 1st Moderna shot on Friday.  I actually don't mind wearing masks in public because people disgust me in general.  I'm happy I don't have to see anyone's face and that they aren't spreading their germs everywhere.  However, it is pretty awful at the gym.  I can't stand wearing a mask when I'm working out, so I guess it will be nice to get back to normal.  

I’m in Baltimore city where masks will probably be required for the rest of eternity but out in the county everything is basically mask free. 

lifting at the gym isn’t bad but cardio with it is just stupid. 

The first moderna I just had a sore arm. The second was like a bad hangover mixed with a fever and sinus infection... and sand in the V. That was just the day after though, today I’m perfectly fine and fully aroused to the thought of Nick Foles coming back to Philly. 

41 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

This screenshot is a great example of what was wrong all year with this offense - three receivers all on the same level, and the deep safety is easily able to give help on two of them. So really his choices are try to make the deep out to the top or take the checkdown. Running is fine here. They are giving him the same yardage as the checkdown.

If he steps up in the pocket he can hit Ward while being wide open. He can float a ball to Ertz from where he is for 10+ yards. 

Terrible decision to run.

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I'm getting my 1st Moderna shot on Friday.  I actually don't mind wearing masks in public because people disgust me in general.  I'm happy I don't have to see anyone's face and that they aren't spreading their germs everywhere.  However, it is pretty awful at the gym.  I can't stand wearing a mask when I'm working out, so I guess it will be nice to get back to normal.  

1st Moderna was no biggie.  I did it in the dominant arm and it was barely noticeable.  Tetanus shot was 10x worse.

Get my 2nd this Saturday.

42 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Nah...his competition will be Matt Pryor. Frankly, I'd be shocked if Pryor makes the team. 

The reason why this team is where they are is that guys like Pryor and Maddox should be fighting for roster spots, not starting positions.  

So I see we are over analyzing the play of a rookie QB in his early NFL action before even his first start. 

Really need the fall to get here.

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

So I see we are over analyzing the play of a rookie QB in his early NFL action before even his first start. 

Really need the fall to get here.

No one is over analyzing anything. He made a poor decision. Said decision is an example of what many of us have illustrated as to why we don't buy into him moving forward.

29 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

So much bitterness with this guy, sheesh. Is Lou Riddick running this account?

37 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You're the one saying the checkdown would have gotten the same yardage and that a defender got lucky and tripped him up. All I said was both those things didn't happen. 

I do think he should look past his first read before running though. 

How long before I'm accused of Photoshop, do you suppose?

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

To further illustrate why I take issue with Hurts, it's for plays like this. I went back and have been watching tape of Hurts and see this happen all too often, so far. Here he has two, potentially three wide open players. Instead, he stays focused on Alshon and then takes off running.

Screenshot_20210519-160629.jpg

Anyway you can post the entire play, or a couple seconds after this.  Curious to see the route progress of the receiver in the middle of the field, and how the safety reacts to whatever Jeffrey does after this point.  Looks like a nice crossing route is opening up.

17 minutes ago, Swoop said:

How long before I'm accused of Photoshop, do you suppose?

No one is accusing you of photo shopping. They are accusing you of not knowing what you are looking at even when it is right there in front of you. The deep safety takes away the middle of the field. If he throws that ball it is way more likely to be picked or incomplete than completed. The deep out you want him to throw or the checkdown both likely get us to the 40. His run got us to the 44. So you are losing your mind over four yards, and it is pretty clear that he can often generate many more yards than that by running.

I mean, realize when you are wrong. There are plenty of plays where you can say he made a mistake. The Dallas game is full of them, where he left the pocket too early and missed open guys. It is a serious problem. But picking the play where he made a decent decision is just dumb. Also, you are missing the real problem. The real problem is that we designed a play that the defense was able to defend without causing them any problems. There are no defenders in conflict. We aren't making anyone make a hard decision. the safety is just sitting there waiting to make a play. All three receivers are in a line across the field. And this happened over and over again last year.

Tom Brady doesn't get significantly more yardage on this play than Hurts did. The kid has issues, but you are the one seeing ghosts. 

We could make the playoffs this year if:

1) we win more games than the other team’s in our division

2) Jalen Hurts plays like the MVP that we know he is gonna be

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

6:22.  The GB play in question

Ugh that wounded duck pass from Wentz to Goedert is so bad

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

No one is accusing you of photo shopping. They are accusing you of not knowing what you are looking at even when it is right there in front of you. The deep safety takes away the middle of the field. If he throws that ball it is way more likely to be picked or incomplete than completed. The deep out you want him to throw or the checkdown both likely get us to the 40. His run got us to the 44. So you are losing your mind over four yards, and it is pretty clear that he can often generate many more yards than that by running.

I mean, realize when you are wrong. There are plenty of plays where you can say he made a mistake. The Dallas game is full of them, where he left the pocket too early and missed open guys. It is a serious problem. But picking the play where he made a decent decision is just dumb. Also, you are missing the real problem. The real problem is that we designed a play that the defense was able to defend without causing them any problems. There are no defenders in conflict. We aren't making anyone make a hard decision. the safety is just sitting there waiting to make a play. All three receivers are in a line across the field. And this happened over and over again last year.

Tom Brady doesn't get significantly more yardage on this play than Hurts did. The kid has issues, but you are the one seeing ghosts. 

My comment went over your head entirely and was referencing another fool that continues to accuse me of being a liar, making things up, etc.

Per the rest of your post, his decision was not decent. His decision was poor. 

He has Greg Ward wide open over the middle. The deep safety is irrelevant unless it's Chad Pennington throwing the football after his shoulder blew up for the seventh time. If he actually went through his progressions and didn't lock onto Jeffery, that ball is out and Ward is at the 35 at least.

Ertz is wide open as a check down to get more yardage than Hurts did.

Receiver at the top (Fulgham? I'll have to look more closely) is WIDE OPEN past the 40, likely getting you at least to the 35.

In no circumstance is it a decent decision to stare down one receiver and then take off when you have three wide open receivers (well, 2 and a TE) for a few yards on 2 and 22 with a fairly clean pocket.

I will bet you anything I own that not only did they bring his goof to his attention, but if he were to go back and watch the tape (which I'm sure he did) he would agree that there were a few different plays to be made here.

You are 100% wrong with what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

6:22.  The GB play in question

Thanks, was going to pull it up. If he gets off of Alshon sooner and let's the ball go in his clean(ish) pocket at 6:31 we're likely getting 10-15 yards instead of 3.

8 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Thanks, was going to pull it up. If he gets off of Alshon sooner and let's the ball go in his clean(ish) pocket at 6:31 we're likely getting 10-15 yards instead of 3.

Still can not see the crossing route in that play.  do you have the full field still shot just after the one you posted ??

20 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

We could make the playoffs this year if:

1) we win more games than the other team’s in our division

2) Jalen Hurts plays like the MVP that we know he is gonna be

We might win some games if we score more than the other team. 

Every thread should be a bout Jalen Hurts. He’s #1.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We might win some games if we score more than the other team. 

Kooky GIFs | Tenor

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Still can not see the crossing route in that play.  do you have the full field still shot just after the one you posted ??

My bad, missed your first post. Here's a moment after. Player in front of Ward is literally starting to run in the opposite direction.

Screenshot_20210519-181750.jpg

2 hours ago, justrelax said:

It's one thing to run around in shorts and another to go full contact. I think this is clearly Kelce's last year. Both Seumalo and Brooks are coming off injuries. I think they'd like to give Dickerson some time to heal further and learn Stoutland's system (although I expect it's pretty much what he installed at Alabama when he was there). If they're going to move one of the four guys you mention, it's got to be Ertz.

As regards beating out Seumalo, sure, he could. However, Seumalo is their only move guard. Replacing him with a more powerful but less agile or fast player will take away their staple run - the outside zone. I've made this argument before. It would fundamentally change their running game. I don't think Stoutland would like to do that. We had to do it last year because we didn't have Seumalo for much of the year and played Herbig instead. We saw how that worked.

I'm not so sure that Dickerson is that much of a step down in athleticism.  For all the love that Driscoll gets as being possibly Mr Versatile, Dickerson might end up being the Toddfather 2.0.

Archived