EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We might win some games if we score more than the other team. 

spacer.png

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Oh, I'm not saying he was out there planting and pushing off his knee but to not even have a brace on is a pretty big accomplishment for a big guy.  Heck, Kerryon Johnson said he's still going to wear a knee brace this year. 

Dickerson can more than hold his own pulling.   He might not look as "fast" as Seumalo but Dickerson is a damn house.  6-6 330 compared to 6-4 300 is a pretty big difference in body type.  Some of his best highlights at Alabama were of him pulling and destroying defenders.  

I've watched a lot of tape on Mailata and Herbig the past few months and one thing that stood out is how many times Seumalo was getting ABUSED.   There were so many plays where he's either getting driven in to the backfield or doesn't hit a single defender.  I'm more than happy if he gets replaced.

It's really hard to objectively look back at last year and evaluate anyone one the DL.  It was such a carousel that it was impossible for anyone to get a good feel for who they were next to.

1 hour ago, Thrive said:

So I see we are over analyzing the play of a rookie QB in his early NFL action before even his first start. 

Really need the fall to get here.

It's reaching pathetic levels at this point.  

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

This is the play in question.

image.png.e2118e9e70acda08529bcd53ebab368c.png

No it is not.  You really don't think Ertz on the run gets at least the 40 ??  A ball to the middle of the field gets you at least the 35.

And if you read the above, and got more yardage instead of the 3 yard scramble, we may have gone on 3rd down, but bad down and possession management on 2nd down caused the following.

image.png.b1fecf962b914dcf866e547b97ed1022.png

Honestly Ertz would have either dropped it or flopped like a fish as soon as the LB looked at him.

7 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Honestly Ertz would have either dropped it or flopped like a fish as soon as the LB looked at him.

In fairness, this is entirely possible.

It’s kinda fun to see people bristle at any criticism of Wentz rip Hurts for bad plays without playing the same excuses of "it’s the scheme, bad players around him and he’s a young QB, those things happen.”

We’re in for a fun season. 

12 minutes ago, Swoop said:

In fairness, this is entirely possible.

I don't see anything about the play that tells me Ward is not about to come open across the middle and get another 5-10 yards.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I don't see anything about the play that tells me Ward is not about to come open across the middle and get another 5-10 yards.

It’s Ward. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I don't see that at all. Ward is already coming back towards the line of scrimmage. If he catches a pass, he's probably at the 40 and about to get tackled immediately by the deep safety who's already breaking toward him. If there's a play to be made, it might be Alshon deep, behind that same safety. But then he'd have to run away from the corner who's trailing him, which probably isn't likely.

Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't see that at all. Ward is already coming back towards the line of scrimmage. If he catches a pass, he's probably at the 40 and about to get tackled immediately by the deep safety who's already breaking toward him. If there's a play to be made, it might be Alshon deep, behind that same safety. But then he'd have to run away from the corner who's trailing him, which probably isn't likely.

The odd thing is that Hightower is running the route at the top, and if he and Jeffery swap positions, the play has a much better chance at working. Hightower has the speed to get deep there, and would open up space for Ward, who would be one on one with the safety. But Jeffery is just clogging things up. Plus, Jeffery would be a much better target for the route at the top of the screen.

Just another bad decision by the coaches.

42 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

It's really hard to objectively look back at last year and evaluate anyone one the DL.  It was such a carousel that it was impossible for anyone to get a good feel for who they were next to.

Without a doubt the line was in shambles.  I also think that's what makes some of Mailata's progress so impressive.  It's not like he had an experienced trustworthy veteran next to him every play.  

This play is the gift that keeps giving.

Wanna bash Hurts? Sure
Alshon?  Why not
The coaches?  Of course
Hurts supporters? Definitely
Hurts bashers? Let's go

One last note, the play only went for three yards because Ertz refused to block anyone. Put anyone else out there, and that play would have gone for big yards. Hurts could have cut back and had nothing but green. But Ertz is what he is, and it isn't "guy who is known for making downfield blocks." 

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Wanna bash Hurts? Sure
Alshon?  Why not
The coaches?  Of course
Hurts bashers? Let's go

Someone should put a highlight tape of all of Matt pryor’s highlights (lowlights?)from last year. Every time i went back and watched games last year i felt like Jt realmuto when he saw the bullpen coming in 

image.gif.218e3a075fad9de89063b66e8f8eaa84.gif

10 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Wanna bash Hurts? Sure
Alshon?  Why not
The coaches?  Of course
Hurts bashers? Let's go

Seumalo’a fault for holding the play prior 

Referees fault for calling a phantom hold 

33 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s kinda fun to see people bristle at any criticism of Wentz rip Hurts for bad plays without playing the same excuses of "it’s the scheme, bad players around him and he’s a young QB, those things happen.”

The pertinent point is that Wentz was capable of so much more if he had better scheme, coaches and weapons around him.

What is Hurts capable of?  We will soon see.  My guess right now (only a guess) is bottom-tier starter/good backup QB.  I don’t intend to get bent out of shape unless the organization gives Hurts the Agholor/Mills treatment, and are content watching a poor level of play for 5 years.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

The reason why this team is where they are is that guys like Pryor and Maddox should be fighting for roster spots, not starting positions.  

I don’t think anyone believes Matt Pryor is fighting for a starting job on this roster.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Someone should put a highlight tape of all of Matt pryor’s highlights (lowlights?)from last year. Every time i went back and watched games last year i felt like Jt realmuto when he saw the bullpen coming in 

image.gif.218e3a075fad9de89063b66e8f8eaa84.gif

Pryor, Seumalo and Peters have some of the worst O-Line tape I've ever watched from last year and we had this guy to deal with too.

Barstool Philly on Twitter: "Eagles release RG Jamon Brown. Pretty sure it  had to do with him deciding to fix his gloves in the middle of a fucking  play instead of protecting

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Tucker pick up has gone very much under the radar... Given they've added Clark too that may spell the end for Dillard?

:roll::roll:  Casey Tucker’s resume says three summer third OL tackle for Philadelphia Eagles.  His signing and a failed Clark coming off a December Achilles says nothing about Dillard.  Given Mailata’s injury history and final year on his contract, t may say something about Jordan, but I kind of doubt that.  I really think it means they want to get Driscoll some IOL reps this summer.  

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t think anyone believes Matt Pryor is fighting for a starting job on this roster.

This year no but in years past he's been mentioned.  Point I'm trying to make is that Pryor should be O-Lineman 10 rather than a guy who is getting snaps.

46 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

When did Hurts ever play at an mvp level?

oh. Right. Never

9 hours ago, justrelax said:

Brining poultry can mean a couple of things. Traditional brines - salt and water - do two things: they oversalt the bird and they add water, which has no intrinsic taste. You think it's juicier but it's not; it just has added water. And all that salt makes the pan drippings unusable. Your gravy thus is over salted or store-bought. Another thing: the brine does not penetrate the skin and when you remove the bird from the brine and pat it dry (which you better do or the skin won't get crispy) all the salt and flavors just fall away. You and @BigEFly inject, which is more effective but you're still oversalting and adding water, not flavor.- At least you're getting past the skin.

Dry brining, OTOH, is quite useful and, as I mentioned in my post, I put it under the skin. It's barely a brine at all, really just seasoning.. Most people would call it a rub. I do not use an acid.

The one concession I make to brining is for fried chicken, which I soak in buttermilk (buttermilk is an acid). This does impart flavor as the skin is not washed and patted dry after brining but instead is dipped in an egg wash and rolled in seasoned panko breadcrumbs before frying.

I’ve sold fried chicken for more than 3 decades. Brining penetrates the muscle fibers. Of course finding the appropriate brine to water ratio to prevent an over saltiness is imperative. Our chicken sits in a brine for 24 hrs but there are machines than can brine with pressure in minutes. 
Buttermilk is a waste of time. A good high temp breading and black pepper are all that goes on the chicken.  

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

This year no but in years past he's been mentioned.  Point I'm trying to make is that Pryor should be O-Lineman 10 rather than a guy who is getting snaps.

I would think he is about #10 on the depth chart:

Kelce-Brooks-Johnson-Seumalo-Dillard-Dickerson-Driscoll-Mailata-Herbig

He was a 6th round pick.  He got a couple of years to show what he could do.  I think he looked okay in 2019 with limited reps; when he was asked to do more in 2020 he didn’t shine (at all)

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

When did Hurts ever play at an mvp level?

oh. Right. Never

Wasn’t there that one quarter in one of the games, against ARI?  People were sure fond of that quarter ….. 

Archived