EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Pryor wasn't in shape in 2020, Herbig needs to lose 20 lbs. Driscoll needs to add strength, so does Toth. Opeta needs to get more flexible

One reason Howie keeps bringing in more bodies is they don't want to be in the situation they were last year, and they don't want backups to think they have a job won and can slough off the off-season. The kids who work hard during the offseason are the ones that will start the season with the team.  The NFL is the Red Queen effect in spades:

"My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.”

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

When did Hurts ever play at an mvp level?

oh. Right. Never

I’m not sure if this is a defense for Wentz or a defense of those who correctly criticized Wentz when he played poorly. 

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’m not sure if this is a defense for Wentz or a defense of those who correctly criticized Wentz when he played poorly. 

Those arent mutually exclusive

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Those arent mutually exclusive

You must have skipped a lot of posts over the years. 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Relax Alice.  There’s overreaction on the other side as well.   

Oh so you agree that the focus on that singular play is an overreaction. 

Sounds like we’re on the same page. 

Guest justrelax
40 minutes ago, Vortex said:

I’ve sold fried chicken for more than 3 decades. Brining penetrates the muscle fibers. Of course finding the appropriate brine to water ratio to prevent an over saltiness is imperative. Our chicken sits in a brine for 24 hrs but there are machines than can brine with pressure in minutes. 
Buttermilk is a waste of time. A good high temp breading and black pepper are all that goes on the chicken.  

Thank you. The pleasure to me in these conversations is that we agree on almost everything but drill down specifically. I have a question: Can I brine in my instant pot? I’m game to try and learn to be wrong. 
BTW, I’ve eaten fried chicken for more than 60 years. I have never had good fried chicken commercially except in New Orleans where they put a lot of hot sauce in the batter. I don’t fry at home because there’s just two of us and it’s a waste of oil, except for tonkatsu, which we have twice monthly, and close together, because of the oil.

i disagree about buttermilk but find your comment thought worthy.

16 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Oh so you agree that the focus on that singular play is an overreaction. 

Sounds like we’re on the same page. 

I don't think you understand what "overreaction" means.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Pryor, Seumalo and Peters have some of the worst O-Line tape I've ever watched from last year and we had this guy to deal with too.

Barstool Philly on Twitter: "Eagles release RG Jamon Brown. Pretty sure it  had to do with him deciding to fix his gloves in the middle of a fucking  play instead of protecting

Look at Wentz’ arm and ball location there.

The Colts posted some videos of him at camp and his mechanics and release are still dog crap.  That is obviously an unfixable problem for him at this point.

Guest justrelax
55 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Pryor wasn't in shape in 2020, Herbig needs to lose 20 lbs. Driscoll needs to add strength, so does Toth. Opeta needs to get more flexible

One reason Howie keeps bringing in more bodies is they don't want to be in the situation they were last year, and they don't want backups to think they have a job won and can slough off the off-season. The kids who work hard during the offseason are the ones that will start the season with the team.  The NFL is the Red Queen effect in spades:

"My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.”

Usually I find merit in your posts but I find none here Four guys all with excuses for why tbry sucked. Driscoll gets a pass the others do not.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The Colts posted some videos of him at camp and his mechanics and release are still dog crap.  That is obviously an unfixable problem for him at this point.

Yup. He is who he is. 

4 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The Union will always look after their members and COVID was a perfect way to take away the bits of the offseason they didn't like. The sting in the tail is off campus workouts affecting players pay.  The Union should want players on campus, they aren't bright enough to think that one through.

Easier to drop soundbites into the press

Yes, they will.  And pushing back against the offseason process of OTAs is not looking out for what is best for their members... as we've already seen, guys getting hurt working out on their own aren't covered.  But, they are thinking about what they want, not what they need.   OTAs are not the problem, they are portrayed as.  But the Union wants everything they can get.

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I'm a huge Mailata guy but man I didn't even notice in this picture because it's like the 4th on the list of bad things but he is flat on his back.

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Frank will fix him.....dont worry.

17 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Usually I find merit in your posts but I find none here Four guys all with excuses for why tbry sucked. Driscoll gets a pass the others do not.

This is what player development is all about, can you reach 22-24 years old players and convince them that they have to dedicate themselves to off-season conditioning, film study and reps to take the next step up. Pryor, Herbig and Opeta have enough talent to play in the NFL, and even start if they take their game up a couple notches. You see this in all professional sports, young players get some money, have a good time, and just aren't disciplined enough or lack the work ethic to put in the long hours needed to maximize their talent.

Talented players get second and third chances, and the time to mature and learn to pay the price, marginal players find themselves out of the league, without the team subsidizing their training, and bereft of the coaching they need to turn the corner. Which is why so many bounce from training camp to training cap but never make it, by wasting their first couple years in the league, they put themselves behind the 8-ball.

That's why I'm always interested each August to see which kids come to camp to make a serious push at a job, and which quietly disappear after the first round of cuts.

Guest justrelax
23 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Nonsense.

When Carson is in rhythm, his mechanics are fine. Not great, but pretty good. When he starts to double clutch the ball, he gets really sloppy.

That’s kind of crazy to think about. Doesn’t seem like he’ll make it past 28

2 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Nonsense.

So...you think Carson Wentz has good mechanics?

Guest justrelax
14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'm a huge Mailata guy but man I didn't even notice in this picture because it's like the 4th on the list of bad things but he is flat on his back.

Five seconds into the play, please. Either post the whole play or go sit in the corner.

26 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yup.  Pryor being out of shape was on him.  Herbig's weight?  On him.  Toth?  On him.  Opeta?  On him.   These guys were all around an NFL team for a full year and should have learned what they needed to do to get their bodies more NFL ready.  They didn't follow through on that.   Driscoll was just entering the NFL.  And he needs to put in the work this offseason (plus his rehab) to get himself NFL ready.  And if he's not stronger this year, that's on him as well.    

(By no means am I suggesting that any of them should have been as far along as they can end up... but they all should have been further along than they ended up coming into the season.) 

Guest justrelax
3 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

When Carson is in rhythm, his mechanics are fine. Not great, but pretty good. When he starts to double clutch the ball, he gets really sloppy.

Deep. That’s sarcasm. We are all such great experts on technique. Personally, I limit myself...with obviously long and  limited success 

13 minutes ago, austinfan said:

This is what player development is all about, can you reach 22-24 years old players and convince them that they have to dedicate themselves to off-season conditioning, film study and reps to take the next step up. Pryor, Herbig and Opeta have enough talent to play in the NFL, and even start if they take their game up a couple notches.

Wow.  You need to take a break from the green colored glasses.   Not every player on the Eagles roster has starter potential.  

8 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Five seconds into the play, please. Either post the whole play or go sit in the corner.

What?

10 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Deep. That’s sarcasm. We are all such great experts on technique. Personally, I limit myself...with obviously long and  limited success 

I'm glad we agree that Carson's mechanics are sloppy.

Did you mean to send this from your burner account?

I also find it funny that you say you limit yourself, even though you pretend to be an OL expert. Yawn.

Guest justrelax
9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So...you think Carson Wentz has good mechanics?

That play and still shot prove nothing. Nothing. Just in case I wasn’t clear. Nothing.

Archived