EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Cripes I didn't realize how bad Nolan Patrick was this year.  9 points in 52 games.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, justrelax said:

That play and still shot prove nothing. Nothing. Just in case I wasn’t clear. Nothing.

I also wasn't referring to that play exclusively.  But he should not be carrying the ball that low in that play and still shot.  So it isn't useless.  You are wrong.

If you watched the Eagles, and I know you do, you'd know Wentz has horrible mechanics...and I know you do.

31 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s kind of crazy to think about. Doesn’t seem like he’ll make it past 28

He almost had 1k yards in 2020. His yards/game went down though

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Thank you. The pleasure to me in these conversations is that we agree on almost everything but drill down specifically. I have a question: Can I brine in my instant pot? I’m game to try and learn to be wrong. 
BTW, I’ve eaten fried chicken for more than 60 years. I have never had good fried chicken commercially except in New Orleans where they put a lot of hot sauce in the batter. I don’t fry at home because there’s just two of us and it’s a waste of oil, except for tonkatsu, which we have twice monthly, and close together, because of the oil.

i disagree about buttermilk but find your comment thought worthy.

Great question. I love the instant pot on a personal cooking level. It can turn one of my frozen venison roasts into a fall apart delicious stew meal in less than an hour. That said I don’t know if it can create a brining pressure without temperature increase which would cook and defeat the purpose.
I’ve never once cooked fried chicken at home. 60 years with 1 good commercially fried chicken experience? Man I think you’re looking in the wrong places.

25 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He almost had 1k yards in 2020. His yards/game went down though

Lowest average per attempt of his career too. After Dak went down they had to have the offense run through him. He looked like he’s already slowing down. 

39 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Cripes I didn't realize how bad Nolan Patrick was this year.  9 points in 52 games.  

If your plus/minus is far worse than any other forward on the team, you’re a liability.  Not just not scoring — not defending either 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lowest average per attempt of his career too. After Dak went down they had to have the offense run through him. He looked like he’s already slowing down. 

No — I can’t accept this.  Zeke is such a clean-living and classy guy it can’t be true 

2 hours ago, Vortex said:

I’ve sold fried chicken for more than 3 decades. Brining penetrates the muscle fibers. Of course finding the appropriate brine to water ratio to prevent an over saltiness is imperative. Our chicken sits in a brine for 24 hrs but there are machines than can brine with pressure in minutes. 
Buttermilk is a waste of time. A good high temp breading and black pepper are all that goes on the chicken.  

You probably deep fry it too.   I prefer pan fried, with a good hot cast iron to submersion into a deep fryer.  24 hours of brine on chicken is wicked.  How does the chicken not come out stringy and tough?   A buttermilk bath can make the chicken more tender.  Try is sometime.  Mix thing up a bit. Good flour coating and pepper can be good but a little cayenne can add flavor, for example. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

No — I can’t accept this.  Zeke is such a clean-living and classy guy it can’t be true 

I do think Cowboys should look into extending him 

Thank you. The pleasure to me in these conversations is that we agree on almost everything but drill down specifically. I have a question: Can I brine in my instant pot? I’m game to try and learn to be wrong. 
BTW, I’ve eaten fried chicken for more than 60 years. I have never had good fried chicken commercially except in New Orleans where they put a lot of hot sauce in the batter. I don’t fry at home because there’s just two of us and it’s a waste of oil, except for tonkatsu, which we have twice monthly, and close together, because of the oil.

i disagree about buttermilk but find your comment thought worthy.

Now, I lived 11 years as a kid in NOLA.  There is some good fried chicken there, no doubt but I have had some good fried chicken in a lot of places.   You have to avoid chains and consider word of mouth.  Best I have had recently was a joint outside of Memphis.  I had some awesome Nashville hot north of Nashville a few years back.  I find fried chicken is a lot like BBQ, seafood and Tex Mex.  Got to gamble on the joints and sometimes you get a winner.  

Fries are like that. (Not that I eat them very often.).  Best I ever had were blanched and allowed to dry then low heat fried then high heat fried. The blanching kept the fries from being inundated by the oil.   

Usually I find merit in your posts but I find none here Four guys all with excuses for why tbry sucked. Driscoll gets a pass the others do not.

I do wonder if continuing to get in shape helps Herbig.  Someone posted that he has lost 20 pounds this year.  If true, I am curious.  I don’t see how Pryor or Opeta can be salvaged. Driscoll is one of those guys where Phase 1 would have helped. 

55 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm hungry for chicken now

spacer.png

8 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Great pic.  Two wide open guys.  I'm not sure that tells the whole story there, though.

Unless I'm missing something -- he has no throwing lane to that side. 

The pocket is a mess, he's got Miles right in his face on the right side looking to double team the DE.  I'm guessing since Alshon was covered the only play would have problem been to move up in the pocket (is that what he did?) and to see how the field looks.  At that point, he might have been looking at 15 yards with no defenders and Zach Ertz to throw a block to the linebacker that's present.

That’s where you see the benefit of a 6’4” QB and Alshon looked looked open enough for me with a nice throw not batted down

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Wow.  You need to take a break from the green colored glasses.   Not every player on the Eagles roster has starter potential.  

Potential isn't production.

Pryor had a solid rookie season, regressed his second year.  While he lacks athleticism, he has the requisite length for OT.

Opeta has great leg explosion and straight line speed, he needs to work on his agility and footwork.

Toth comes out of Army, where OL are traditionally undersized due to military requirements (Air Force is the worst).

No one projected Villaneuva, an undersized 3-4 DE out of Army to be a pro bowl LT, he didn't even get to play on a regular basis until he was 27.

41 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Potential isn't production.

Pryor had a solid rookie season, regressed his second year.  While he lacks athleticism, he has the requisite length for OT.

Opeta has great leg explosion and straight line speed, he needs to work on his agility and footwork.

Toth comes out of Army, where OL are traditionally undersized due to military requirements (Air Force is the worst).

No one projected Villaneuva, an undersized 3-4 DE out of Army to be a pro bowl LT, he didn't even get to play on a regular basis until he was 27.

What? Pryor didn’t play at all his rookie year. He was inactive every game, and played only 79 offensive snaps his second year and was awful last year. He’s bad.

4 hours ago, BigEFly said:

You probably deep fry it too.   I prefer pan fried, with a good hot cast iron to submersion into a deep fryer.  24 hours of brine on chicken is wicked.  How does the chicken not come out stringy and tough?   A buttermilk bath can make the chicken more tender.  Try is sometime.  Mix thing up a bit. Good flour coating and pepper can be good but a little cayenne can add flavor, for example. 

I tried the supposed secret KFC recipe a couple of times deep fryer method and it was mediocre. I do prefer Popeyes regular but KFC original is pretty good too. Maybe an old Presto Chickn Fryer or InstaPot pressure cooker ( home broaster ) might be superior ???  The other thing maybe add a little corn starch to the flour I think will make it more crispy.

Brining, I haven’t tried this but leave it to Kenji

https://www.seriouseats.com/four-secrets-for-better-fried-chicken

14 hours ago, BGDutchNorris said:

Sports fandom is weird. One of the few professions where millions of people question how you operate daily, as if they know that sport better than you (a person who has been in this sport for years if not decades). People who study sports for a living get stuff wrong all the time.

Sometimes we, as fans, can be too emotional.

And sometimes we as fans are right. Not to mention they are making plenty of money off of us being so emotional.

13 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Sometimes screen shots don't show the whole picture.  Looks like we need about 25-30 yards to get a first down

Well then all of those routes are stupid unless of course it isn't 3rd down? 

Edit: looked again it's 2nd down. Throw one of those passes and you make up a lot of yardage.

13 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Yes, Jalen Hurts can't scramble, and has never made a big play with his legs. Don't be the guy who makes results oriented arguments. Look at the picture. It is telling you the right play is for him to run. If some dlineman gets lucky and trips him up, that doesn't make the decision bad.

That's funny it's telling me the pass should have already been out.

12 hours ago, jsb235 said:

No one is accusing you of photo shopping. They are accusing you of not knowing what you are looking at even when it is right there in front of you. The deep safety takes away the middle of the field. If he throws that ball it is way more likely to be picked or incomplete than completed. The deep out you want him to throw or the checkdown both likely get us to the 40. His run got us to the 44. So you are losing your mind over four yards, and it is pretty clear that he can often generate many more yards than that by running.

I mean, realize when you are wrong. There are plenty of plays where you can say he made a mistake. The Dallas game is full of them, where he left the pocket too early and missed open guys. It is a serious problem. But picking the play where he made a decent decision is just dumb. Also, you are missing the real problem. The real problem is that we designed a play that the defense was able to defend without causing them any problems. There are no defenders in conflict. We aren't making anyone make a hard decision. the safety is just sitting there waiting to make a play. All three receivers are in a line across the field. And this happened over and over again last year.

Tom Brady doesn't get significantly more yardage on this play than Hurts did. The kid has issues, but you are the one seeing ghosts. 

The only guy covered there is the one he's looking at. Throw the ball to the out and do it before he makes his break. Pretty simple. All that said he was a rookie if he remains the starter this year I hope he improves on things such as this.

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

What? Pryor didn’t play at all his rookie year. He was inactive every game, and played only 79 offensive snaps his second year and was awful last year. He’s bad.

The only thing I can remember is that he was borderline Nasty Nate his rookie year.  He was being talked up as a tremendous steal and future stud of the o-line.

13 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Really like Hurts.  Seems like a great dude.  

I said it before. Whatever his potential is, and that’s certainly up for debate, I think he’ll reach it. He’s too driven and his work ethic is too strong not to. 

Archived