EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a lot of names, but not a lot of players.  I am hopeful on Johnson.  Singleton is what he is.  Avery moving is a last ditch effort to make something of that trade so far its a complete bust of a trade.  

Actually, if I was going to guess, it’s graded Avery, Singleton, Bradley and then Johnson although Bachie did have a late round grade on him, he is just a bit light.  Avery was projected as a MIKE or SAM out of college with a fourth round grade.  Knock on him was his height.  Singleton was a pretty good LB in the CFL but is a bit of a journeyman.  I like Bradley’s athleticism and his instincts were better than expected when he played last year.  But each of them has flaws and I question the ability of each to drop and cover a TE or RB, much less a slot WR on a switch.  Avery was the best at that in college, although Singleton was a SS in college, he mostly played downhill. Johnson did not display coverage skills.  I figure Taylor and Stevens  are strictly WILs and probably the same for Smith, who I view as a body.  I figure that Edwards is strictly a MIKE.   Of course, all of this is speculation at this point.  I do figure all the LBs need to be able to blitz, play off blocks to seal.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No, I'm not.  That word is used far far too frequently.   'Everyone' never agrees with anything said in here.    And I do mean 'never'.  There is always someone who disagrees with anything. 

I think most people know that everyone doesnt always mean "everyone" though... Actually I think everyone knows that.

GIF shrug - animated GIF on GIFER - by Goldenredeemer

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Actually, if I was going to guess, it’s graded Avery, Singleton, Bradley and then Johnson although Bachie did have a late round grade on him, he is just a bit light.  Avery was projected as a MIKE or SAM out of college with a fourth round grade.  Knock on him was his height.  Singleton was a pretty good LB in the CFL but is a bit of a journeyman.  I like Bradley’s athleticism and his instincts were better than expected when he played last year.  But each of them has flaws and I question the ability of each to drop and cover a TE or RB, much less a slot WR on a switch.  Avery was the best at that in college, although Singleton was a SS in college, he mostly played downhill. Johnson did not display coverage skills.  I figure Taylor and Stevens  are strictly WILs and probably the same for Smith, who I view as a body.  I figure that Edwards is strictly a MIKE.   Of course, all of this is speculation at this point.  I do figure all the LBs need to be able to blitz, play off blocks to seal.

Why would you throw Avery at the head of that list?  He was projected as that years ago, and never showed much of anything there and hasn't worked there for years.   

Accuracy is a tricky attribute that probably falls under both arm talent and polish.  

Hard work, mechanics, foot work, and experience improve accuracy, which is not a static trait.  No one would really argue that.  Some players also have an innate ability to place the ball well with just arm action, regardless of what the rest of their body is doing or who might be pursuing/dragging/hitting them.  That part falls under arm talent.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think most people know that everyone doesnt always mean "everyone" though... Actually I think everyone knows that.

GIF shrug - animated GIF on GIFER - by Goldenredeemer

Silly me for actually understanding the meaning of words.   Forgive me.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Silly me for actually understanding the meaning of words.   Forgive me.  

theres the literal meaning, and the way words are commonly used in everyday language. In this case, its generally understood by everyone that when someone says everyone its often not meant as the literal everyone. 

Sometimes I notice foreigners with english as a 2nd language struggle with that concept. Maybe thats you cause I notice you doing this a lot in the blog. Or maybe this is just your weird shtick. 

4 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Of that list, really only Avery or Johnson fit as a SAM in a 4-3 under. 

Are you thinking 240 is too light to be a SAM in a 4-3 under? I mean a 100 pound weakling could man the D gap versus Zach Ertz.  240 is big enough to defeat most TE blockers in this league.  Thing is that the MIKE gets the strong side B gap or A gap and the WIL gets the other A gap.  Yet Gannon has Wilson at 230 as a MIKE.  Not sure I am following your reasoning here. Can you help me understand?

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

theres the literal meaning, and the way words are commonly used in everyday language. In this case, its generally understood by everyone that when someone says everyone its often not meant as the literal everyone. 

Sometimes I notice foreigners with english as a 2nd language struggle with that concept. Maybe thats you cause I notice you doing this a lot in the blog. Or maybe this is just your weird shtick. 

I'll take column #2.  I like words to be used properly, not colloquially.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

I'll take column #2.  I like words to be used properly, not colloquially.

yeah we have seen that many times from  you. But you should be able to understand the way people mean "everyone" based on the context of the conversation. Its really not something that needs to be explained unless you are not a native english speaker. People who are familiar with the language are probably more familiar with the colloquialisms as well. Its hard to figure whether you are trying to play smart, or play dumb here....

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Are you thinking 240 is too light to be a SAM in a 4-3 under? I mean a 100 pound weakling could man the D gap versus Zach Ertz.  240 is big enough to defeat most TE blockers in this league.  Thing is that the MIKE gets the strong side B gap or A gap and the WIL gets the other A gap.  Yet Gannon has Wilson at 230 as a MIKE.  Not sure I am following your reasoning here. Can you help me understand?

I think they want someone who can set the edge, eff up the TE and rush the passer. Like a quasi- 3-4 OLB. 

Edit: And drop in coverage a bit. Johnson basically did that in college. 

4 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Those two, plus Kerrigan and Ostman are the SAM linebackers.

Ostman is PS or off the team.  He was awful when he saw the field last year.  Bad gap discipline and bad instincts.  Last gasp for him.  Not convinced Kerrigan can drop anymore at 33.  Seems to be strictly a rotational DE at this point.  Maybe, hope so because DE depth isn’t good past Sweat.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah we have seen that many times from  you. But you should be able to understand the way people mean "everyone" based on the context of the conversation. Its really not something that needs to be explained unless you are not a native english speaker. People who are familiar with the language are probably more familiar with the colloquialisms as well. Its hard to figure whether you are trying to play smart, or play dumb here....

Take your pick.   

Speaking directly to your assertion about how Sirianni was received when he had his opening PC...  there was a group, I'd say not even the majority, that said that they were not pleased with the way Sirianni presented himself.   And to me, when the majority aren't involved, it is disingenuous to claim 'everyone', even colloquially.  

But, you pride yourself on being in the minority and then propping yourself up as the only one that 'saw the truth'. Have at it.

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think they want someone who can set the edge, eff up the TE and rush the passer. Like a quasi- 3-4 OLB. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

I think they want someone who can set the edge, effort up the TE and rush the passer. Like a quasi- 3-4 OLB. 

Same here.  I think Singleton and Bradley can do that although they may be better A gap rushers.  My guess is Gannon is blitzing LBs through the A and B gaps and also will bring some C gap blitzes from the WIL with some S/CB blitzes thrown in on top of D gap play from the SAM.  I expect a lot of 4/2/5 too and on occasion the look is really 3 DL and the fourth a LB that might drop or might blitz any gap.  The LBs are going to need to be able to drop in coverage.

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Ostman is PS or off the team.  He was awful when he saw the field last year.  Bad gap discipline and bad instincts.  Last gasp for him.  Not convinced Kerrigan can drop anymore at 33.  Seems to be strictly a rotational DE at this point.  Maybe, hope so because DE depth isn’t good past Sweat.

All we do is rotate DE so I think Kerrigan and Sweat are fine rotating.  I've been pounding the pavement to bring in veterans on 1 year deals until we can find a legit DE1 who doesn't come off the field. 

I'll be honest, I don't understand 4-3 under as compared to a normal 4-3 so I don't know what to expect from the OLB play.  Time will tell how all of these guys moving to LB actually handle the switch.  I'm always going to root for Ostman, just like everything about the guy since he was in college.  Would love to see him have success.  With the new PS rules, I think Ostman can make a career out of being a PS guy.  Maybe that's not such a bad thing for the team.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Take your pick.   

Speaking directly to your assertion about how Sirianni was received when he had his opening PC...  there was a group, I'd say not even the majority, that said that they were not pleased with the way Sirianni presented himself.   And to me, when the majority aren't involved, it is disingenuous to claim 'everyone', even colloquially.  

But, you pride yourself on being in the minority and then propping yourself up as the only one that 'saw the truth'. Have at it.

do you have the stats on this? Or am I to understand colloquialisms are not ok but estimates are? Im confused now when we have to be super duper accurate for you, and when not.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

do you have the stats on this? Or am I to understand colloquialisms are not ok but estimates are? Im confused now when we have to be super accurate for you, and when not.

You do you.  I'll do me.   And we'll leave it there.

26 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Why would you throw Avery at the head of that list?  He was projected as that years ago, and never showed much of anything there and hasn't worked there for years.   

He hasn’t had the opportunity to play LB in the NFL.  Doesn’t mean he cannot.  I liked his as a MIKE based on watching him in college.  Bradley struck me as guessing wrong too much kind of guy and Johnson dropping was not good.

19 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

image.jpeg.03ae2926be02f5a0a47875ef76d43513.jpeg

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

He hasn’t had the opportunity to play LB in the NFL.  Doesn’t mean he cannot.  I liked his as a MIKE based on watching him in college.  Bradley struck me as guessing wrong too much kind of guy and Johnson dropping was not good.

Agreed.   He has not.  But, he's now entering year 4.  That's a big transition to make so far into his NFL career.  I think that the SLB position will be an open competition, and I'd give a nod to anyone who had any connection to Gannon in the past.

I think Genard Avery is going to run away with that job. A 4-3 under SAM who can rush the passer a lot is his perfect role. Im more interested in the backup there. We never got to see Ostman when he was making that transition but coaches seemed to high on him. Is he gonna be good or is he going to be beat by one of the rookies?

Archived