EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Second player to say this, which is just, I don't even know. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, blindside said:

If his offense is similar to Doug’s, imma sit this season out. 

I thought it was Howie's offense.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would agree with the ranking... Stoutland, Castillo, and Mudd.   But, that's not to slight Mudd.   Mudd was a guy who could really take undersized guys and help them find a way to maximize their athleticism.   Kelce and Mathis... those guys became Pro Bowl level players with Mudd.  Castillo always had the bottom rung of the OL able to step in and compete.  Going all the way back, the Eagles invested heavily at OT (Thomas, Runyan and later Peters... even Winston Justice.), but generally didn't invest in the iOL.  Those were college OTs that weren't athletic enough to play OT in the NFL (the exception was Andrews, but he even was projected to move outside at some point... and Bobbie Williams.)  The rest of the iOL were late round picks and UDFAs.  Hank Fraley, Bubba Miller, Mike McGlynn, Nick Cole, Todd Herremanns who could have played any position on the OL except center (he was just too tall for that), and a few others.   

Note Dickerson is 6’6”.  Squat really plays into a C as much as height nowadays. Wasn’t Jackson around 6’5”?

27 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm just listing notable examples for you since it seems incomprehensible to you that there are highly talented pro athletes who don't have the best work ethic once they get paid at the professional level.

Also does refusing to be coached and refusing to do what a coach is trying to do in practice not call into question a players work ethic?

No, you can work hard but be stubborn as a mule and refuse to listen.

Scouts probably put more work into uncovering intangibles than they do on film work. Which is why on campus visits are so important, college coaches won't bad mouth their players (though they probably damn some with faint praise). So scouts do things like talking to HS teammates and hang out the bar where players go to drink, and listen to the scuttlebutt, who is an a-hole, who is a borderline sex offender, and so on. They want to know if the player is first in the facility, does he stay to watch film, does he work out on his own or get out of shape. They'll look at film to see how sleepwalks through half of the game or gives a half-hearted effort when the team falls behind. They want to know if he hangs out with "undesirables" (i.e. will he get in trouble when he gets his hand on a couple million?). Does he take hard courses or basket weaving? (Toth majored in nuclear engineering, so you know he's smart and disciplined).

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Doug built off Reich's offense, so there are going to be a lot of similarities on the surface.

16 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Hope he plays more than 75% of the snaps but the difficult season means the Colts have a losing record.  

Difficult season ??

Colts strength of schedule is 23rd, .478 %.  That is only .048 harder than the Eagles.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Starstruck over Joe Flacco?

:roll:

There are better players to be star struck over but he did win a SB MVP.  Many players in todays game probably remember that run with Baltimore.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re point is right on Manu he didn’t say that.  My bad.  That’s what I get for traveling and posting.   He said it wasn’t unique but then argued that his work ethic is something that will make him get everything out of his talent. Which, as I said was something that a lot of the players that make it to that level have.    He disagreed.  

I disagreed that a lot of players have a great work ethic?

25 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And no I wasn't.  Again.......YOU'RE wrong!  I was arguing that you can't know what his intangibles are enough to have an opinion of it.  Intangibles are not something you see because you're not in the locker room.  You can hope it, but it's too early.    Manu was saying his work ethic is so great it will make him play better than his ability should allow him (paraphrasing).  And if Manu wants to challenge that (and he did) then that's between he and I. He's certainly capable (much more than you) to debate his side.   No one needs the low hanging fruit of the Blog to come along and involve himself in another discussion that he is clearly out of his depth in.  Work ethic is not something you can see, especially after 3+ games.  Yet you go on this long diatribe like you f-cking know.  WHICH YOU DON'T.  I said I like how the guy handles himself in the press and he seems like a good dude.  That is an opinion I have based on some things I have seen!  As in how he was talking to the press.  And AFAN?  I guess this is just another fabrication in your head.  I haven't had an exchange with him today.  

Not, his work ethic is so strong it will make a better a QB than he should.   How the F does anyone know that? You can hear opinions of other people and wish it to be true.  But at the end of the day, the NFL is full of guys who have outworked their physical abilities.  

But you just cited Tom Brady as source material for Jalen Hurts and his "work ethic".  

Telling me an average QB has a good work ethic reminds me of someone describing an ugly chick who has a great personality.  He's in the NFL.  Of course he has a good work ethic.  It's those who don't maintain it, are the ones who are bumped out of the league early.  

There’s a difference between having a good work ethic and an exceptional one. From what I’ve read about Hurts, it seems like he has an exceptional one. Not all work ethics are created equal, even in the NFL. It’s silly to suggest that. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What's wrong with his release? Can you walk me through what you see wrong with his release? 

Also how does he not throw a catchable ball? I didn't see that at all last season. I saw him throw some very catchable balls, knowing when to put touch on a pass to get it over a defender and when to throw with velocity to fit it into a WR quickly.  McNabb who you reference on the otherhand is someone who would constantly try to throw the ball as hard as he could which did lead to more difficult catches for receivers and throws that were often darted at the feet of receivers because he was trying to throw with too much force for a pass that did not require it. 

Haha you’re so thick headed you think Hurts is better than McNabb. 

And I never said he didn’t throw a catchable ball or have a good release, what I did say is he completed 52% of his passes. That’s not good... unless you’re Tim Tebow. 

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They are two days into OTAs with the playbook. With Stout being retained and as the run game coordinator, that the RB and an OL says this doesn’t mean a lot.  As I see it, schemes in general throughout the league are similar.  But misdirection, motion etc. probably aren’t in place after two days of Phase II.  I doubt the offense is fully developed at this point. 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Finally get to hear from Gannon today

"I think we're gonna take things from each of those places (MIN and IND) and play to our guys' strengths." There you go, saved you the time watching Gannon's PC.

Just now, Saltpeter said:

"I think we're gonna take things from each of those places (MIN and IND) and play to our guys' strengths." There you go, saved you the time watching Gannon's PC.

But what's he going to say when the Philly Media asks why Jalen Hurts hasn't been named the starter?

Should speak a little anyways to some of you that Nick won't name Hurts the starter.

2 minutes ago, greend said:

Should speak a little anyways to some of you that Nick won't name Hurts the starter.

It's not a big deal, Eagles are committed. He's all over their promotional mater.....

Nevermind. 

Guest justrelax
3 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

And again arm strength and arm talent are two different things. Arm strength is how far one can throw/velocity. Arm talent is that plus accuracy, release, making all the throws, throwing a catchable ball, etc. 

Completing 52% of your passes does not make me feel good about his arm talent. Neither does getting benched in a championship game for a guy that has average NFL arm talent. 

And again, If I’m wrong on Hurts, I’ll be the first to admit it. I think he’s Taysom Hill/Tyrod Taylor, not McNabb.

I think your memory is fuzzy. Does this post of yours not strongly suggest Hurts lacks arm talent?

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Gannon- fundamentals

Sirianni- competing 

Man these guys are breaking ground.  Wonder what the OC is going to say.  "Showing up on time”? 

"It's all about technique" 

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I think your memory is fuzzy. Does this post of yours not strongly suggest Hurts lacks arm talent?

That post is like 3 hours old. People do evolve on subjects. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

LOL.  At what cost?  

Hurts and a burger king meal

Archived