EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

42 minutes ago, justrelax said:

The coverage wasn't that tight. The Bucs basically gave all the receivers a five-yard cushion. KC is so oriented to a chunk offense that they never adjusted, despite the fact that Mahomes was running for his life. And, of course, once they were down big they couldn't afford to nickel and dime it.

Tight enough that Mahomes tossed 0 TDs 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some thoughts on Gannon.

Zimmer defense:

The big jump in defensive performance last year is not so much about Zimmer's scheme, as it is about Zimmer's coaching. Zimmer has said he wants good teachers as coaches. And Zimmer himself has often been agnostic when it comes to scheme, preferring to focus on adapting his scheme to fit his players:

Honestly, I want to fit our scheme to the players to the best of their abilities. Like I said before, it really does not matter if it is a three-four or a four-three, and as far as my philosophy I want to stop the run and I want to hit the quarterback. However that is, if we got to blitz I think we have a great blitz package, but I want to be fundamentally sound in what we do. There are teams that can go out there who can go out and make a lot of big plays, but they are not fundamentally sound. Then when the game gets on the line, they do not perform in the crucial situations of the game.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/6/8/8750195/so-what-exactly-is-a-mike-zimmer-defense

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/18/16905124/minnesota-vikings-defense-education-harrison-smith

https://fox59.com/sports/colts/colts-d-thriving-behind-matt-eberflus-h-i-t-s-principle/

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-the-colts-defense-is-thriving-without-elite-caliber-talent

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/film-room-how-matt-eberflus-crafted-the-kenny-moore-ii-blitz/ar-BB18grrO

I think Gannon will combine what he learned from both DCs, start with the Zimmer 4-3, but tweak it, and use the Eberflus approach, which is focus on coaching up young athletes rather than try to plug in a lot of "name" free agents. Note the H.I.T.S. principle is right out of Eberflus, so is the emphasis on teaching, development and high motor players.

This means that going with the "left over" CBs probably wasn't an accident, they weren't drafting CBs high if they weren't a clear upgrade. Players like Taylor and Bradley will probably get a longer look under Gannon than Schwartz. Safeties are interchangeable. Cover 2/cover 3 concepts with press coverage underneath.

This will probably not be a good defense this season, but it should be a fast, fun defense. Year two, they weed out the players who don't fit and have a defense oriented draft. Indy didn't bring in a lot of big name FAs, Buckner was the key acquisition (trade of 1st rd pick), they picked up Houston and Autry as lower cost FAs, Picked up Rhodes after he was cut by the Vikings for cap reasons. 7 home grown starters - (1) 2nd rd, (2) 3rd rd, (2) 4th rd, (1) 5th rd, (1) UDFA. Most of the backups were late rd picks, UDFAs or SFAs.

Flash forward, Howie picks up Kerrigan, Wilson, Scott, Harris, Adams, drafts Williams, McPhearson, Tuipulotu, Johnson.

Given the cap, building a "no name" defense that relies on smarts and speed rather than uber-talent is probably more sustainable. Pay a few key guys and keep bringing in low cost players to fill out the defense.

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

462 yards, 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Yep. Locked him down alright. 

They were up 17 with 10 minutes go in the 4th. Maybe just maybe the chiefs took the foot off the gas. 

That game was a blow out and the score didn't indicate it 

Who said locked him down ?

I said he tossed 1 TD against Bucs in the last 6 quarters he played them , 0 in Super Bowl , that was one of the most dominant super bowl performances in a long time .

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Does it though?   I mean, he's not a guy to build your team around.  He's not a guy that should be the top target for the team (or any NFL team for that matter).   He's Reno Mahe... but at the WR position.   He plays because they don't have anyone better.   And sure, he's a nice guy.    I'm a nice guy too, but no one wants to see me out there running routes or 'returning' punts.    

"It's not personal... it's business."   He can be the greatest guy in the world, but that doesn't mean that he's good at his job.  I wish him well in all his endeavors, but I absolutely want to see that position upgraded... both slot WR and punt returner.

Let's hope.

From a production standpoint no but for guys who like him and have been supporting him all this time it does just because you want to see him do well.

There are some Eagles I don't care when they leave and others where the initial thought is damn that sucks.  Corey Clement hasn't done a thing for this team since SB52 but I still don't like the fact that he signed with the NYG.  At the same time, DJack has provided us with some of the best and most exciting plays in Eagles history and when he signed with the Rams I thought eh, that makes sense. 

27 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

The coverage was good enough that Mahomes scrambled for 498 yards , no one open and no one better throwing off platform 

pass rush was good , coverage was better 

The pass rush didn't allow Mahomes any time to throw.  He was having to constantly move and evade pressure.  He still got some throws off that hit WRs right in their hands and they dropped it.  There were several big plays/TDS that were flat out dropped.  It wasn't that the coverage was draping WRs it was that the pass rush was dominating that Chiefs oline.   Mahomes wasn't standing back there will all day to throw and then eventually the pass rush broke through because the coverage was on lockdown.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Right, but you seem to be blaming mahomes or a great defensive when most people say it was  injuries on the Tampa Line

Most balanced team in the nfl won the Super Bowl , handily , but that was last year . It’s in the past , I’m ready for a new season .. hopefully they will meet again , now that Brady has a year under his belt in a new offense and  knows what to expect from his weapons .

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Finished Caplan’s podcast, and he said the Eagles are going to start out with Josiah Scott on the outside. Ehhhhhhh...

5'9 with 29" arms...it worked out so well for Maddox.

Bring this guy back

Philadelphia Eagles' Best (and Worst) Draft Picks | Bleacher Report |  Latest News, Videos and Highlights

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well Eric Fischer came off a very serious injury in the AFC Title Game.  Not like he was going to be ready by the start of the season while carrying a big contract.  

Are you seriously trying to dispute how bad the Chiefs oline was in the Super Bowl?  There is a reason Andy completely rebuilt that unit.  

that's why you have depth , we won with a backup tackle

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think the Tampa win was similar to the Eagles SB. lightning in a bottle, a lot of luck and we'll here comes the free fall. 

I don't recall the Eagles being the beneficiaries of any luck that year.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

A career backup playing out of his mind isnt lucky?

Gym Shortz calling back to back perfect games(probably his only 2) isnt lucky?:

Tom Brady having his first turn over all playoffs isnt lucky?

BG who didnt have a FF all year has one late in the most meaningful game of his life isnt lucky LOL. 

I can go on and on for DAYS about how lucky the Eagles got. 

Please....don't let us stop you.

17 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

that's why you have depth , we won with a backup tackle

But not two backup tackles.  We also didn't lose one of the tackles at the end of the championship game prior to the Super Bowl. 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Problem is hoagie mouths are biased and the **** we saw during that run we havent seen since and probably wont. 

Think about this lol. BG had almost 800 plays that year and he got 1 FF. It just so happened to be the biggest part, of the biggest game. Defination of lucky

He had 2 during the season but ok 

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

Scored 1 td in second half of regular season after defense changed up coverage at half time , scored 0 tds in Super Bowl 

injuries happen , Bucs were without starting RG , and started a rookie at RT all year

Yet that RT started all year, it's not like the bucs lost their starting LG and RT a week before the game.

The Bucs caught the chiefs at a time when the chiefs were at a distinct disadvantage.

You being a bucs fan whuch I still don't get will try to minimize and whisk away all the chiefs In juries leading up to that game and what Reid was going through with his family and yet those still remain 

After the game Brady even said so that he was lucky throughout his career, I think part of him knew they were playing a chiefs team that was far from full strength and good for them they did what they were supposed to, they took a mortally wounded dog behind the shed and put it out if it's misery.

15 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

But not two backup tackles.  We also didn't lose one of the tackles at the end of the championship game prior to the Super Bowl. 

ok ,  off to get my mega millions tickets , 515 million gotta win

55 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Bring this guy back

Philadelphia Eagles' Best (and Worst) Draft Picks | Bleacher Report |  Latest News, Videos and Highlights

I don't think caolan is saying Josiah Scott is going to be the starting outside corner.

I think what he's saying is they are going to try him out on the outside before slot 

If gannon is going to play more cover 2 then the corners need to be quicker than fast and be able to tackle in the run game 

They also need to be able to bump so 29 inch arms might make that difficult.☹️

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That's the odd part of this whole situation.  We clearly have a QB with passing limitations, but the FO has always seemed to push the pass game over the run game.  With this team as currently constructed, it would seem that we are built to run the ball more effectively than pass. 

Lurie...  not that he's a meddler... but he's a meddler.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The 2011 Giants won the regular season game against the Pats in NE. 

Did they?  Interesting.  So one time.   

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Bring this guy back

He was 10x better than Corey Barlow taken 5 rounds earlier the early round pick taken that year.   

39 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't recall the Eagles being the beneficiaries of any luck that year.

The luck was that Foles hit his hot streak at just the right time.  Beyond that... not much luck.

14 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

lol. My bad. I read 2018. so 3 in about 1600 snaps

Thanks for backing up my point

3 in 825 but sure let’s go with 1600

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He was 10x better than Corey Barlow taken 5 rounds earlier the early round pick taken that year.   

The luck was that Foles hit his hot streak at just the right time.  Beyond that... not much luck.

I loved Mark McMillian.  Played better for the Chiefs but still an underrated Eagle.

25 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Lurie...  not that he's a meddler... but he's a meddler.

5ag0g0.jpg

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Interesting reminder... 

I don't think a Super Bowl matchup has ever been won by the team that won the regular season matchup (in seasons where they actually matched up).

2008 Eagles should have been the team to do that.  They would have crushed the Steelers in the SB like they did earlier in the year.

Just now, Wentz_Era said:

2008 Eagles should have been the team to do that.  They would have crushed the Steelers in the SB like they did earlier in the year.

But they couldn't beat the Cardinals twice to get there, even though they crushed them on Thanksgiving night.

2 hours ago, Original Sin said:

The coverage was good enough that Mahomes scrambled for 498 yards , no one open and no one better throwing off platform 

pass rush was good , coverage was better 

You mean he ran around in circles for that much...not doubled the single game rushing record.

Archived