EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 hours ago, BigEFly said:

In the 4/3 under, the SAM can play like a 3/4 strong side OLB.  The SAM is like a hybrid between a 4/3 SAM and a 3/4 OLB on the strong side.    Now, the SAM dropping allows for the other LBs (weak or MIKE) to blitz or cover.  I think, if I understood Manu correctly, that 3/4 OLB role on the strong side is why he thinks only Johnson and Avery, of our LBs, fit that role.

Your Ostman, is my Ward and Scott but I think both offer more.  Ostman looked lost when he got the chance to play last year.  Color me disappointed because I like bottom of the roster guys, like Mikel, to succeed.  From what I have heard, he is a good PS guy.  Another Means.

Good info thanks.  It sucks that eventually Greg Ward will be pushed off the team.  He's another of those guys you just want to cheer for.  He probably is playing more than he should given his skill set but if you compare him to other WR4/5 instead of a starting slot WR then he starts to look even better if that makes sense.  He's good to have on the team as an emergency QB too. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Probably.

I think so.  Most scouts thought so before the 2020 season.  And I have a feeling most teams thought so as well.  

After all, we did get an extra first round pick to take Smith instead of Waddle.  Teams don’t usually give those away.

Not taking anything from Smith who was the better player in college and still could be in the NFL.

If Smith can get some beef on his bones..... Scares me when someone so dam thin plays in the NFL..... OF course I am wrong most of the time, so he will probably play injury free football for 10 years....

I don’t see Kerrigan as a Sam , not at this point in his career , the Sam is maybe the most important piece in a 43 U , if not most important definitely second behind ws de 

3 hours ago, blindside said:

Brady is incredible when it comes to overall awareness in the pocket and ability to find his guys. I used to hate on Brady, but I’ve seen too much of him just dominating. Rodgers is more talented as far as athleticism and throwing from different angles accurately, but Brady just has it. The Super Bowl we won is actually a good example. If Foles didn’t play out of his mind, we lose that game. Because Brady was making every throw. BG really sealed it. But if you said Brady’s stat like before the game, I’d bet every penny I have that we would have lost. Early in his career, yes, the defense won them a lot. But the last ten years the guy is just unstoppable. 

Yes he has that type A personality, the will to win but imagine if just a minor detail was changed like Brady and Rodgers swap coaches

Teams play base defense roughly 25 percent of the time. If Kerrigan is a SAM in a 4-3 under, he likely won’t be asked to drop into coverage all that often. 

Tampa’s inside backers were the key , they took away middle of field, and their drops were beautiful , followed by their secondary and the coverage they ran , it was tight , this IMO allowed the pass rush to chase Mahomes around to the tune of 498 yards

27 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Tampa’s inside backers were the key , they took away middle of field, and their drops were beautiful , followed by their secondary and the coverage they ran , it was tight , this IMO allowed the pass rush to chase Mahomes around to the tune of 498 yards

I wouldn't credit the secondary for Tampa's pass rush in the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were down both starting tackles, that Tampa dline was devouring that Chiefs oline from the start.  

1 hour ago, greend said:

And that means we should all feel like he's good enough to be our starter?

Another example of a false dilemma being thrown around.   If you believe that Hurts is likely not the long term answer, you have to prefer Flacco to play this year... apparently.

21 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

When Mahomes had an OL, he shredded the Bucs in the regular season. 

59 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Good info thanks.  It sucks that eventually Greg Ward will be pushed off the team.  He's another of those guys you just want to cheer for.  He probably is playing more than he should given his skill set but if you compare him to other WR4/5 instead of a starting slot WR then he starts to look even better if that makes sense.  He's good to have on the team as an emergency QB too. 

Does it though?   I mean, he's not a guy to build your team around.  He's not a guy that should be the top target for the team (or any NFL team for that matter).   He's Reno Mahe... but at the WR position.   He plays because they don't have anyone better.   And sure, he's a nice guy.    I'm a nice guy too, but no one wants to see me out there running routes or 'returning' punts.    

"It's not personal... it's business."   He can be the greatest guy in the world, but that doesn't mean that he's good at his job.  I wish him well in all his endeavors, but I absolutely want to see that position upgraded... both slot WR and punt returner.

56 minutes ago, stine said:

If Smith can get some beef on his bones..... Scares me when someone so dam thin plays in the NFL..... OF course I am wrong most of the time, so he will probably play injury free football for 10 years....

Let's hope.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Interesting reminder... 

I don't think a Super Bowl matchup has ever been won by the team that won the regular season matchup (in seasons where they actually matched up).

Finished Caplan’s podcast, and he said the Eagles are going to start out with Josiah Scott on the outside. Ehhhhhhh...

4 hours ago, blindside said:

The thing is, Hurts doesn’t HAVE to be that guy to be successful. With a creative offensive system, a good running game, and a WR like Devonta Smith who can get open quickly... Hurts can be successful if he learns to go through his pogressions better and is accurate. I know those are the weaknesses we saw last year from him, but he also didn’t have much help. I’m not a believer, but I think him progressing to mediocre is possible and with everything else in his favor, could be successful. Here’s hoping. 

Just asking, do you really think HR and Lurie will allow Siri to run the ball more often then Doug did? Obviously it is hard to confirm any report these days, but one said Doug was told not to run the ball as much..... He may be just deflecting, but if accurate, we may be disappointed again this year with our run game....

2 hours ago, austinfan said:

So whose the Leo???

I'd think Kerrigan fits that role well no?

Traditionally in an under defense the strong side DE is a bigger guy but I think graham is physical enough at the point to control his gap.

Either that or I could honestly see gannon slide cox out to 5 technique have hargrave be the over tackle and William be the 3 tech under with graham the weakside DE.

Seems if gannon is going to play an undervth current roster has a ton of Leo candidates smaller quicker pass rushers but are a bit thin when it comes to bigger 5 Tech DEs.

Also will be interesting to see if gannon plays a Tampa 2 behind his under front or he mixes it up more.

Schwartz was a cover 1 single high guy that rarely blitzed his lbs.

He occasionally switched it up to a cover 3 or an inversed cover two but for the majority as far as I remember he ran a fair amount of single high looks while dropping all 3 Lbs into zone.

Hopefully gannon switches it up a bit and if he goes majority cover 2 behind his under front that's fine with me as I think it's obvious the eagles lack the talent at CB to play a lot of man

Guest justrelax
59 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

The coverage wasn't that tight. The Bucs basically gave all the receivers a five-yard cushion. KC is so oriented to a chunk offense that they never adjusted, despite the fact that Mahomes was running for his life. And, of course, once they were down big they couldn't afford to nickel and dime it.

17 minutes ago, stine said:

Just asking, do you really think HR and Lurie will allow Siri to run the ball more often then Doug did? Obviously it is hard to confirm any report these days, but one said Doug was told not to run the ball as much..... He may be just deflecting, but if accurate, we may be disappointed again this year with our run game....

That's the odd part of this whole situation.  We clearly have a QB with passing limitations, but the FO has always seemed to push the pass game over the run game.  With this team as currently constructed, it would seem that we are built to run the ball more effectively than pass. 

36 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I wouldn't credit the secondary for Tampa's pass rush in the Super Bowl.  Chiefs were down both starting tackles, that Tampa dline was devouring that Chiefs oline from the start.  

those same tackles they didn't bother having back this year

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That's the odd part of this whole situation.  We clearly have a QB with passing limitations, but the FO has always seemed to push the pass game over the run game.  With this team as currently constructed, it would seem that we are built to run the ball more effectively than pass. 

I agree, but they seemed to run the ball effectively last year when the line was a mess, yet they still pushed to pass more often. Not so sure Siri will be allowed to do what is obviously the best approach. I would love to see an offense more like Indy's of last year....

11 minutes ago, stine said:

I agree, but they seemed to run the ball effectively last year when the line was a mess, yet they still pushed to pass more often. Not so sure Siri will be allowed to do what is obviously the best approach. I would love to see an offense more like Indy's of last year....

I agree. In the past, it seemed like the Owner and FO was fascinated with a pass first offense and pressed to move away from balance.  The Indy offense is an ideal blueprint and it appears that we may have built a team in that mold (especially with a limited QB).  Time will tell.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/5/4303822/hybrid-defense-the-43-under.

This article is from 2013 and two of the players are still on the roster

Cox and Graham.

Of course eagles hired Chip Kelly who went to a 34 defense so we never really got to see graham and cox in a 43 under.

This article suggest graham as the Leo or weakside DE and Cox as the 3 tech weakside DT or possibly as a 5 tech strong side DE.

Cox has lost a step since 2013 and I'm not sure who on the current roster fits as a 5 tech DE other than cox who obviously has the length and strength to play the 5 tech. 

Graham is a bit bigger than he was in 2013 so maybe he could play the 5 and he's physical against the run bit I don't know if he's ideally a 5 and would fit better as a Leo, though if gannon wanted to get real tricky he could play graham at under tackle 3 tech where graham has experience and success rushing from the Interior in nickel.

We'll see I guess, there really isn't any shortage of LEO candidates and hardly any 5 techs on the roster.

Wouldnt shock me to see an alignment of Cox at 5 tech Hargrave at 1 tech Graham at 3 tech and kerrigan at Leo.

Then again who knows maybe gannon just comes straight with graham at LE hargrave at LDT cox at RDT and Barnett at RDE with the other guys rotating in.

Either way I hope gannon moves his front around a bit more than schwartz did who was super predictable on front and back end 

21 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

those same tackles they didn't bother having back this year

Well Eric Fischer came off a very serious injury in the AFC Title Game.  Not like he was going to be ready by the start of the season while carrying a big contract.  

Are you seriously trying to dispute how bad the Chiefs oline was in the Super Bowl?  There is a reason Andy completely rebuilt that unit.  

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well Eric Fischer came off a very serious injury in the AFC Title Game.  Not like he was going to be ready by the start of the season while carrying a big contract.  

Are you seriously trying to dispute how bad the Chiefs oline was in the Super Bowl?  There is a reason Andy completely rebuilt that unit.  

?? I read it that VAEagle was agreeing with you.....

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Interesting reminder... 

I don't think a Super Bowl matchup has ever been won by the team that won the regular season matchup (in seasons where they actually matched up).

The 2011 Giants won the regular season game against the Pats in NE. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The coverage was good enough that Mahomes scrambled for 498 yards , no one open and no one better throwing off platform 

pass rush was good , coverage was better 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Scored 1 td in second half of regular season after defense changed up coverage at half time , scored 0 tds in Super Bowl 

injuries happen , Bucs were without starting RG , and started a rookie at RT all year

Archived