EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Caplan said it was his understanding that Kerrigan will play some SAM. 

I was thinkng that the day we signed him. 

But I also like the idea of him and Sweat as the 2 DEs rotating in after Graham and Barnett.

Id like to see him as a rotational DE mostly. But I think you can come up with an awesome "nascar" package where you get 4 of your best rushing DL on the line, and allow Kerrigan to stand up, move around, and rush from anywhere. I think thatd be deadly. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The attempt at subterfuge and hiding things in press conferences from the Eagles have gotten comical.  Of course, the straight many moronic questions from the beat reported set it up.  No defensive scheme.  Must like to ball.  Not naming the starting QB.  Paying the rent everyday. (Glad to see Hurts is playing along.).  They aren’t Belichek good yet but beat Chip’s sarcasm.  I encourage them to continue to hide the plan as long as they can.  Never give a straight answer to the Philly media guys.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

All we do is rotate DE so I think Kerrigan and Sweat are fine rotating.  I've been pounding the pavement to bring in veterans on 1 year deals until we can find a legit DE1 who doesn't come off the field. 

I'll be honest, I don't understand 4-3 under as compared to a normal 4-3 so I don't know what to expect from the OLB play.  Time will tell how all of these guys moving to LB actually handle the switch.  I'm always going to root for Ostman, just like everything about the guy since he was in college.  Would love to see him have success.  With the new PS rules, I think Ostman can make a career out of being a PS guy.  Maybe that's not such a bad thing for the team.

In the 4/3 under, the SAM can play like a 3/4 strong side OLB.  The SAM is like a hybrid between a 4/3 SAM and a 3/4 OLB on the strong side.    Now, the SAM dropping allows for the other LBs (weak or MIKE) to blitz or cover.  I think, if I understood Manu correctly, that 3/4 OLB role on the strong side is why he thinks only Johnson and Avery, of our LBs, fit that role.

Your Ostman, is my Ward and Scott but I think both offer more.  Ostman looked lost when he got the chance to play last year.  Color me disappointed because I like bottom of the roster guys, like Mikel, to succeed.  From what I have heard, he is a good PS guy.  Another Means.

1 hour ago, schuy7 said:

I think Waddle will disappoint. Good player, not great or elite.

I don’t. I think he is the next Edelman.  Over drafted as a slot WR, which is what I think he is.  Will be better than Ruggs.

57 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Agreed.   He has not.  But, he's now entering year 4.  That's a big transition to make so far into his NFL career.  I think that the SLB position will be an open competition, and I'd give a nod to anyone who had any connection to Gannon in the past.

Agreend

52 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Caplan said it was his understanding that Kerrigan will play some SAM. 

Caplan "understands” a lot.  Frequently, he misunderstands. 

I am intrigued by what they are doing on defense.  They may be getting too cute, but it's a refreshing change from Schwartz' vanilla D.  I say that with the disclaimer that Schwartz generally did a good job churning out slightly above average defenses despite average talent and investment.

Lots of blurry lines between the players who will be lining up at SAM, weak side DE/LEO....and that begs the question of the who and what for the alignment when they roll with 5 DBs, which is most of the time by matchup necessity in the NFL.

Gannons quote is getting taken out of context. The question was what scheme is he bringing to Philadelphia to which he replied there isn’t a specific scheme he’s going to box his players into. He’s going to plan a defense to cater to their strength. People complained about Schwartz never adjusting so I don’t see why this is a problem. 

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I didn’t hear or see Gannon’s press conference.  Nor did I see anyone in here giving him props after his PC either.  I do know that Sirianni talks a whole lot without saying anything substantial.  He’s all Pom Poms.  And compete.  That’s his strategy.  We’re gonna compete.  :lol:  

He seems like a great guy. He and Hurts are alike that they seem comfortable in their own skin.    It’s not fabricated. That’s for sure.  But he certainly doesn’t inspire confidence.  

You can go back to defending him now.  

I recommend watching Gannon’s PC. If you think Sirianni sucks on the mic, then you’ll come away with the opposite feeling from Gannon. Dude says all the right things. I disagree with HE. I love that he didn’t commit to a scheme and said he’ll base the defense on the players’ strengths and opposing offense. That makes sense to me, rather than force fitting a scheme to variable personnel and opposing offense. That’s why it’s funny to me when people say we’re playing a 4-3 under or whatever someone not on the team said. Maybe that’s true. Idk. 

But being the polar opposite of Afan, I’m sure you’ll admit that Gannon speaking eloquently to the media doesn’t mean he’s a good coach. But still think Sirianni not being eloquent with the media means he’s a moron. Or maybe listening to Gannon speak well doesn’t suit the negativity. 

Idk. Afan should take Tommy’s job when he retires. He would thrive writing fluff pieces for the Eagles. He sees the positive in everything. And there’s a lot to be negative about right now. But damn.. haven’t we learned that nerves during press conferences don’t dictate Super Bowl winning success? Doug had literally the exact same criticism in his first year. And he ended up sucking. But he won us a championship with Nick Foles at QB. 

I don’t see Jalen Hurts having what it takes to be a top QB. But, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I don’t think it will. I think he was a horrible pick that handcuffed us into giving him a chance. Terrible use of resources. But that doesn’t mean he won’t prove me wrong. 

I have very little reason to feel optimistic, but I don’t feel I have a much better reason to poop on every aspect of the roster and coaching staff like some do. There’s a lot to be doubtful about, but the chance of every single aspect of this team being trash, from coaching to players, is nearly impossible. They say a blind squirrel finds a but every once in a while.. I doubt every person employed by the Eagles is hot garbage. 

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Re Hurts:

I genuinely hope he's the next big thing and RTK makes us eat crow for the next decade as we follow suit in ordering our #1 Hurts authentic jerseys.  

Every fiber of my fandom and wasted time as arm-chair GM despises short, raw, run first QB's.  Just not the way to build an offense in the NFL.  My fear with Hurts is that he ascends to "pretty good" and then sticks, leaving us with the purgatory of a long-term commitment to a pretty good QB and wild-card playoff losses.  So while I (believe it or not) don't care if I'm wrong and won't be rooting against him, I won't be rooting for pretty good either.  In that case, we would be better off if he flames out.

Such is life as a non-first round QB.  You have a very tight window of opportunity to prove that you are something special.  

IMO ARod is the best QB I’ve seen but only 1 SB win to show for it

A GM has to deploy draft and salary cap most efficiently and the coaching has to be top notch. I think the QB you describe could win SB’s under these circumstances. How good does Brady look without a very good D, decent protection and superior coaching ?

15 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

A GM has to deploy draft and salary cap most efficiently and the coaching has to be top notch. I think the QB you describe could win SB’s under these circumstances. How good does Brady look without a very good D, decent protection and superior coaching ?

I think what the Packers organisation has done is pretty criminal to be honest. Favre and then Rodges and only 2 SB's between them? 

1 hour ago, The guy in France said:

Brady is incredible when it comes to overall awareness in the pocket and ability to find his guys. I used to hate on Brady, but I’ve seen too much of him just dominating. Rodgers is more talented as far as athleticism and throwing from different angles accurately, but Brady just has it. The Super Bowl we won is actually a good example. If Foles didn’t play out of his mind, we lose that game. Because Brady was making every throw. BG really sealed it. But if you said Brady’s stat like before the game, I’d bet every penny I have that we would have lost. Early in his career, yes, the defense won them a lot. But the last ten years the guy is just unstoppable. 

The thing is, Hurts doesn’t HAVE to be that guy to be successful. With a creative offensive system, a good running game, and a WR like Devonta Smith who can get open quickly... Hurts can be successful if he learns to go through his pogressions better and is accurate. I know those are the weaknesses we saw last year from him, but he also didn’t have much help. I’m not a believer, but I think him progressing to mediocre is possible and with everything else in his favor, could be successful. Here’s hoping. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think what the Packers organisation has done is pretty criminal to be honest. Favre and then Rodges and only 2 SB's between them? 

I forgot Farve only won 1!  I'd say the same about the Colts with Manning and then ruining Elway's clones career.

42 minutes ago, blindside said:

The thing is, Hurts doesn’t HAVE to be that guy to be successful. With a creative offensive system, a good running game, and a WR like Devonta Smith who can get open quickly... Hurts can be successful if he learns to go through his pogressions better and is accurate. I know those are the weaknesses we saw last year from him, but he also didn’t have much help. I’m not a believer, but I think him progressing to mediocre is possible and with everything else in his favor, could be successful. Here’s hoping. 

Mediocre is the bar I want him to jump over this year.  If he's going to be the future it's probably not going to happen over night.  This is his 2nd year being asked to use his brain and be an actual QB in forever.

6 hours ago, blindside said:

I recommend watching Gannon’s PC. If you think Sirianni sucks on the mic, then you’ll come away with the opposite feeling from Gannon. Dude says all the right things. I disagree with HE. I love that he didn’t commit to a scheme and said he’ll base the defense on the players’ strengths and opposing offense. That makes sense to me, rather than force fitting a scheme to variable personnel and opposing offense. That’s why it’s funny to me when people say we’re playing a 4-3 under or whatever someone not on the team said. Maybe that’s true. Idk. 

But being the polar opposite of Afan, I’m sure you’ll admit that Gannon speaking eloquently to the media doesn’t mean he’s a good coach. But still think Sirianni not being eloquent with the media means he’s a moron. Or maybe listening to Gannon speak well doesn’t suit the negativity. 

Idk. Afan should take Tommy’s job when he retires. He would thrive writing fluff pieces for the Eagles. He sees the positive in everything. And there’s a lot to be negative about right now. But damn.. haven’t we learned that nerves during press conferences don’t dictate Super Bowl winning success? Doug had literally the exact same criticism in his first year. And he ended up sucking. But he won us a championship with Nick Foles at QB. 

I don’t see Jalen Hurts having what it takes to be a top QB. But, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I don’t think it will. I think he was a horrible pick that handcuffed us into giving him a chance. Terrible use of resources. But that doesn’t mean he won’t prove me wrong. 

I have very little reason to feel optimistic, but I don’t feel I have a much better reason to poop on every aspect of the roster and coaching staff like some do. There’s a lot to be doubtful about, but the chance of every single aspect of this team being trash, from coaching to players, is nearly impossible. They say a blind squirrel finds a but every once in a while.. I doubt every person employed by the Eagles is hot garbage. 

You and I don't disagree.  I'm not complaining about him not having a scheme. 

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of Philly fans. Love a guy,  he can say whatever he wants and is spun positively.  Hate a guy (for no reason) and he can say nothing right. 

12 hours ago, justrelax said:

Compared to most of you a-holes I am sweetness and light. That appalls me.

And it should you too.  I hate be one of the few who talks about what a guy CAN do as opposed to what he can’t.

But hey. I am but a voice crying in the wilderness, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Sorry. Spasm of a liberal education.

Yeah, I'm an ahole...........................................so?

9 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No, I'm not.  That word is used far far too frequently.   'Everyone' never agrees with anything said in here.    And I do mean 'never'.  There is always someone who disagrees with anything. 

I disagree

Guest justrelax
13 minutes ago, greend said:

Yeah, I'm an ahole...........................................so?

But are you sweetness and light?

10 hours ago, thedanone82 said:

I don't get all the back and forth on Hurts. I rather watch him than Flaco...god I rather watch a cowboys game than that 😳

And that means we should all feel like he's good enough to be our starter?

10 minutes ago, justrelax said:

But are you sweetness and light?

Nope. Not personally anyways

8 hours ago, BigEFly said:

In the 4/3 under, the SAM can play like a 3/4 strong side OLB.  The SAM is like a hybrid between a 4/3 SAM and a 3/4 OLB on the strong side.    Now, the SAM dropping allows for the other LBs (weak or MIKE) to blitz or cover.  I think, if I understood Manu correctly, that 3/4 OLB role on the strong side is why he thinks only Johnson and Avery, of our LBs, fit that role.

Your Ostman, is my Ward and Scott but I think both offer more.  Ostman looked lost when he got the chance to play last year.  Color me disappointed because I like bottom of the roster guys, like Mikel, to succeed.  From what I have heard, he is a good PS guy.  Another Means.

Good info thanks.  It sucks that eventually Greg Ward will be pushed off the team.  He's another of those guys you just want to cheer for.  He probably is playing more than he should given his skill set but if you compare him to other WR4/5 instead of a starting slot WR then he starts to look even better if that makes sense.  He's good to have on the team as an emergency QB too. 

21 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You are arguing from anecdotes.    Yes, late round picks can and some even do become major players.   Very very few of them out of the vast number that are drafted and signed as UDFAs.   They are a tiny little minority.  

The first name you decided to gravitate to was Quintin Mikell?   Really?  That's sad.   He was barely more than a JAG himself.  He looked decent when he had Brian Dawkins next to him.  He wasn't able to carry the secondary by any means.  

Kelce is absolutely a great example.  He was undersized, but extremely athletic.  AND... teamed up with both Howard Mudd and Jeff Stoutland, they have maximized that potential.  But, as we see with his brother as well, he has great genes.  

I never said the odds were zero.   BUT... Pryor is heading into year 4 and has regressed from maybe ok for limited snaps into less than a JAG.  That's not progress, and that's not someone that you expect to immediately turn it around in Year 4.   Herbig is a shielder, not a blocker.  He can't move anyone.  If he loses weight, will he still have the same anchor?  Time will tell.  I'll believe he's lost the weight when I see him on the field.  And I will continue to say that his ceiling remains a top level backup.  That's not nothing, by any means, but that's about where his ceiling is.  Opeta?  Sure... we've heard about a lot of guys that have all the athleticism in the world, but can't translate it to the field.  He's not strong enough, he can't anchor.

I never said that these guys didn't have positive attributes.  I said that they are long shots and that their ceilings aren't nearly as high as you are putting forward.   We got to see these guys play in 2020, and they have been with the best OL coach in the NFL (according to many).  Maybe the reason we still see holes in their game is because there's only so much that Stoutland can accomplish with these guys.   He's not a miracle worker.  He can't produce more than the player is capable of.   All a great coach can do is maximize the potential in the player that is there.  But, he can't exceed that.   

There will be no more than 10 OL on the roster.  The names Pryor, Herbig, Opeta and Toth are the last names on the list right now...  ahead of them are: 

Johnson, Brooks, Kelce, Seumalo, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll, Dickerson...  I'd say all 8 of those guys are likely locks (exception being Dillard if they think that he can't be a swing OT, and they look to trade him).  

Oh, and you can add Clark to that list of players that will be fighting for those last few spots.  

We'll see how it plays out.  But, I will not be very optimistic if those 4 see a lot of snaps in this upcoming season.

Think they will trade a tackle? Seems they are well stocked there. Well unless we get hit with injuries like last year....

Archived