EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Avant also said he’s heard we’re going to play a 4-3 under. 

That was a given based off the drafting of Jackson, Johnson and the signing of Kerrigan. All are 3-4 passing rushing OLBs which in turn will work in a 4-3 under scheme.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I really like a 4-3 under front.   But, who is the SLB?   Do they have one?   

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He also said Hightower was the best route runner on the team, which made me scratch my head. I remember him being pretty bad. 

Hightower got open, Hightower drew some penalties... but Hightower couldn't catch a cold out there at times.

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

That was a given based off the drafting of Jackson, Johnson and the signing of Kerrigan. All are 3-4 passing rushing OLBs which in turn will work in a 4-3 under scheme.  

Good call.   Johnson might be the best SLB they have.   Kerrigan is a guy I'd like to see used only in passing situations at this point.  He's just not going to really hold up for a lot of snaps.   Sort of in the Chris Long mold.

26 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He also said Hightower was the best route runner on the team, which made me scratch my head. I remember him being pretty bad. 

That’s not the first time he said it either. How bad are we at route running?

21 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Don't name him the starter. Let him earn it

If he's not able to earn it from battling Flacco and whoever else then go #1 overall pick in 2022 :roll:

If Flacco is the opening day starter there's a legit chance we go 0-17.

Making history!!  First team EVER to lose 17 games!

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

That’s not the first time he said it either. How bad are we at route running?

Reagor sucked at it... extremely raw.  So, I'm going to guess that with the addition of Smith, he's far and away the best we have now.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Reagor sucked at it... extremely raw.  So, I'm going to guess that with the addition of Smith, he's far and away the best we have now.

I would have assumed Greg Ward was our best route runner last year, but I’ll trust Avant. 

5 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

If Flacco is the opening day starter there's a legit chance we go 0-17.

Making history!!  First team EVER to lose 17 games!

It'll be difficult to watch but having #1 overall plus the other picks would be awesome for the teams future

I'd also hope that Howie gets canned but I know that wouldn't happen

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's kind of funny to me how it seems like Reagor has been placed on the backburner since drafting Smith

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I really like a 4-3 under front.   But, who is the SLB?   Do they have one?   

Hightower got open, Hightower drew some penalties... but Hightower couldn't catch a cold out there at times.

We have half of our LBs that can probably play SLB.  Bradley, Singleton, Avery, Johnson and likely Bachie.  

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I would have assumed Greg Ward was our best route runner last year, but I’ll trust Avant. 

Maybe... but I don't acknowledge that Ward is on the team.   

Just now, BigEFly said:

We have half of our LBs that can probably play SLB.  Bradley, Singleton, Avery, Johnson and likely Bachie.  

That's a lot of names, but not a lot of players.  I am hopeful on Johnson.  Singleton is what he is.  Avery moving is a last ditch effort to make something of that trade so far its a complete bust of a trade.  

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I would be stunned if we weren't a 4-2-5 base defense. 

15 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Of that list, really only Avery or Johnson fit as a SAM in a 4-3 under. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

I would be stunned if we weren't a 4-2-5 base defense. 

I would be stunned if this team fielded three corners that were decent enough to play a 4-2-5 base defense.

Just now, hukdonfoniks said:

I would be stunned if this team fielded three corners that were decent enough to play a 4-2-5 base defense.

Three safeties...

Just now, ManuManu said:

Three safeties...

That's worse :lol:

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Of that list, really only Avery or Johnson fit as a SAM in a 4-3 under. 

Those two, plus Kerrigan and Ostman are the SAM linebackers.

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It'll be difficult to watch but having #1 overall plus the other picks would be awesome for the teams future

I'd also hope that Howie gets canned but I know that wouldn't happen

It's kind of funny to me how it seems like Reagor has been placed on the backburner since drafting Smith

Not back burner... down the depth chart.   He's now not the focus of all our hopes and dreams... that falls to Smith.  

Smith as the 'X' (and hope he can still get off jams at the NFL level), Reagor to 'Z' and Watkins to the slot... we can be hopeful...  maybe.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

Those two, plus Kerrigan and Ostman are the SAM linebackers.

Oh good, I was worried that we wouldn't see the hype machine for Ostman get started back up again.   And there he is, right on cue.

4 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Haha you’re so thick headed you think Hurts is better than McNabb. 

And I never said he didn’t throw a catchable ball or have a good release, what I did say is he completed 52% of his passes. That’s not good... unless you’re Tim Tebow. 

Where did I say that Hurts is better than McNabb?  I just stated he has shown the ability to change the type of throw he is going to make depending on the situation unlike McNabb who really tried to put all his strength in almost every throw.  

"And again arm strength and arm talent are two different things. Arm strength is how far one can throw/velocity. Arm talent is that plus accuracy, release, making all the throws, throwing a catchable ball, etc. "

You listed all these things for what you qualify arm talent as and then I ask you how he is lacking in those areas and you say you never said those things.  You start drinking early today?

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Dude, you need to stop.  I mean it's hard for you to be ridiculed more than you are, but you go and do something like this.  Physical talent is not the only talent a QB can have.  You seriously dig yourself deeper and deeper and deeper with posts like this.  

I was just told that when someone is described as having good work ethic that it is code word for them lacking talent.  So Tom Brady lacks talent then because he has been described for having a great work ethic? 

49 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He was more of a route jogger, but definitely our best at standing in the right place.

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm just listing notable examples for you since it seems incomprehensible to you that there are highly talented pro athletes who don't have the best work ethic once they get paid at the professional level. 

Also does refusing to be coached and refusing to do what a coach is trying to do in practice not call into question a players work ethic? 

I believe your point was entirely comprehensible which is why I also believe it is entirely off base and wrong. I am not, however, above examining my understanding of your point.  So let's start with your point, you stated: 

Unfortunately a great work ethic isn't something a lot of players have at this level.  - I take that to mean a "great work ethic" is rare among NFL players as in 1 in 1,000 players have a great work ethic.  

So what is a work ethic.  I mean it's the time and effort dedicated to being an NFL player.  Great is a relative term but you use it in a general sense as in work ethic being something that everyone has to some degree and in the NFL their work ethics should be compared to the general public.  So how hard do you have to work to be an NFL player vs. to be let's say an entry level business analyst. An NFL player to have a "great" work ethic would have to spend lets say twice as much effort,  mean time working out, practicing, reviewing film, working with trainers, peers and coaches, than a person does to lets to be an entry level business analyst or some other entry level job with a college degree.  I would guess that most entry level jobs don't require the kind of dedication and effort that NFL rookies put into getting drafted.  Certainly having skill helps but if you are telling me it doesn't require more work ethic than average to be an NFL player, I don't think that argument holds any water.  Moreover, the effort to continue an NFL career when most players have injuries, competition on a week to week basis to stay employed, physical decline in skill with age, versus almost any other job that tends to get easier with time, I think your point gets worse and even more off base.  

Gannon will install his famous Swiss cheese defense. 

Archived