EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

55 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Man, Newman didn’t even get gas money to get to Philly? Yikes. 

Newman made a big mistake opting out. Once he transferred to UGA he needed to play that season.  He showed up at the Senior Bowl and looked way behind after starting the week fast.

I like some of his skills, but I’m not sure he’ll ever get back what he lost having not played last season.  Things happen too fast in the NFL for anyone to give him a remedial lesson 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

:offtopic:

1    Markelle Fultz - Philadelphia 76ers
2    Lonzo Ball - Los Angeles Lakers
3    Jayson Tatum - Boston Celtics

Booo this man

6 hours ago, RLC said:

I don't understand how anyone can "hate" Agholor after SB52. Forget the last drive, he breaks a tackle on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter (Clement's long TD reception drive) that was so clutch. 

Who hates him?

I've seen people wanting him gone(myself included) but haven't seen anyone saying they hate him

26 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Well it is almost June so the it is right on queue for the "he's in the best shape of his life" articles. 

27 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Every spring  ____________ has gained 5-10 pounds of muscle and ____________ is in the best shape of his life.

It means jack.

6 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Yup.  Disagree completely.  I'm just glad he's getting overpaid in NE now.  Frankly he isn't worth arguing about, so this comment pretty much finishes my interest in the topic.

Then laugh away. Nobody said he was worth a crap before or after that season. 

5 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Every spring  ____________ has gained 5-10 pounds of muscle and ____________ is in the best shape of his life.

It means jack.

The difference is its not Spadaro saying it.

14 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

It means jack.

Perhaps it means nothing, but Reagor has cut weight to regain his explosiveness. I think it was necessary. 

13 minutes ago, RLC said:

Reagor focusing on being a deep threat, rather than a volume X, is a good idea. 

I’ve always wanted a top three WR corps that was interchangeable. I have no idea what kind of HC Sirianni will be, but I’m confident he’ll help the WRs improve a great deal. 

Indo worry about where Reagor’s head is at. Avant called him a dog who wants to be great. His heart’s in the right place, but can he get out of his own way?

Last year showed some seriously poor decision-making. Adding a stupid amount of weight before the combine was moronic. His immaturity on social media was cringeworthy. 

Hopefully having a technician around like Smith will show him how to put in the right work. 

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

The thing about Ward is that he needs to become a good special teams contributor to stick in the NFL. He’s not good enough to be a top three receiver, and your depth receivers better have theoretical upside or play special teams. 

For F’s sake.  JJAW? Hightower? Watkins?  Fulgham?  Anything convince you that Grimes is going to be a good special teams player?  Gainwell? Huntley? (His kickoff returns the last game made everyone want to see Scott back there), Johnson? Herbig? Mailata or Dillard? etc.   At least Ward and Scott actually perform well enough to be on Special Teams.  Ward never played STs until three years ago.  So basically none of our backup WRs should stay because none of them is a "good” special teams player.  None of our back up RBs, none of our back up OL or DT?  But Ward must be.  He’s an adequate STer that can be upgraded.  But I don’t know who of the depth receivers you see that are showing to be good STers. Heck only Fulgham got any real snaps on STs and that was 25 to Ward’s 65% while Ward played more snaps than any other skill player on offense other than Wentz and he wasn’t that far behind Wentz.  Only Clements, Rodgers and Scott had more ST snaps of the offense skill players than Ward. 

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

For F’s sake.  JJAW? Hightower? Watkins?  Fulgham?  Anything convince you that Grimes is going to be a good special teams player?  Gainwell? Huntley? (His kickoff returns the last game made everyone want to see Scott back there), Johnson? Herbig? Mailata or Dillard? etc.   At least Ward and Scott actually perform well enough to be on Special Teams.  Ward never played STs until three years ago.  So basically none of our backup WRs should stay because none of them is a "good” special teams player.  None of our back up RBs, none of our back up OL or DT?  But Ward must be.  He’s an adequate STer that can be upgraded.  But I don’t know who of the depth receivers you see that are showing to be good STers. Heck only Fulgham got any real snaps on STs and that was 25 to Ward’s 65% while Ward played more snaps than any other skill player on offense other than Wentz and he wasn’t that far behind Wentz.  Only Clements, Rodgers and Scott had more ST snaps of the offense skill players than Ward. 

I said play on special teams or have theoretical upside. Ward has no upside. And he stinks as a punt returner. 

Ward by the way played 15 percent of our ST snaps. Let’s not pretend like he’s a core special teamer. 

Ward played 65 ST snaps in 2020 as a 16-game player, so about 4 per game. He had 21 punt returns. So of the other 44 special teams snaps, how many came as a punt returner when he didn’t field the punt? Does he play any other special teams besides maybe the hands team?

This guy’s special team’s resume has a single line on it: Bad at returning punts. 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I said play on special teams or have theoretical upside. Ward has no upside. And he stinks as a punt returner. 

You said depth wide receivers need to be good special teams players.  I pointed out how only Fulgham of the depth ST players played STs last year, where Ward lead the WRs in both snaps on offense and STs. So I ask again, who of the depth WRs on the team do you identify as good special teams players, and maybe point out what they would play on STs?  For example, Watkins as a gunner or Hightower as a RS, which he played some in college, yet replaced neither Ward or Scott last year.  Do you think 1) they will be playing a ST position that keeps them active on game day and; 2) that they will be "good” at it and why (what the theoretical upside is that they have).  

As I see it, Johnson or Howard have to show one of them can replace Clements on STs and if anyone has Gainwell replacing Scott instead of joining him, then one of those three has to replace Scott on teams. 

43 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’ve always wanted a top three WR corps that was interchangeable. I have no idea what kind of HC Sirianni will be, but I’m confident he’ll help the WRs improve a great deal. 

Indo worry about where Reagor’s head is at. Avant called him a dog who wants to be great. His heart’s in the right place, but can he get out of his own way?

Last year showed some seriously poor decision-making. Adding a stupid amount of weight before the combine was moronic. His immaturity on social media was cringeworthy. 

Hopefully having a technician around like Smith will show him how to put in the right work. 

I do question Reagors mentality and that's my biggest concern with him. He may very well want to he great, but beyond the questionable hands and gaining of weight, he really seems lazy and immature. 

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

The thing about Ward is that he needs to become a good special teams contributor to stick in the NFL. He’s not good enough to be a top three receiver, and your depth receivers better have theoretical upside or play special teams. 

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

You said depth wide receivers need to be good special teams players.  I pointed out how only Fulgham of the depth ST players played STs last year, where Ward lead the WRs in both snaps on offense and STs. So I ask again, who of the depth WRs on the team do you identify as good special teams players, and maybe point out what they would play on STs?  For example, Watkins as a gunner or Hightower as a RS, which he played some in college, yet replaced neither Ward or Scott last year.  Do you think 1) they will be playing a ST position that keeps them active on game day and; 2) that they will be "good” at it and why (what the theoretical upside is that they have).  

As I see it, Johnson or Howard have to show one of them can replace Clements on STs and if anyone has Gainwell replacing Scott instead of joining him, then one of those three has to replace Scott on teams. 

Wrong. Read the last line of my above quoted post. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Ward played 65 ST snaps in 2020 as a 16-game player, so about 4 per game. He had 21 punt returns. So of the other 44 special teams snaps, how many came as a punt returner when he didn’t field the punt? Does he play any other special teams besides maybe the hands team?

This guy’s special team’s resume has a single line on it: Bad at returning punts. 

That’s 40 more snaps than the next "depth” WR, Fulgham, who played on coverage teams.  (Fulgham had no stats on STs, so I am guessing you would say that wasn’t that "good”).  

I am not arguing Ward is a good PR.  I am pointing out that the requirement for a depth WR to be a good ST player that you suggested seems to be a false conclusion. (And seems colored by you extreme dislike of Ward, probably as much as my liking him affects my statement that  I hated the balls that he let hit the turf and some of his fair catches but that those may have been driven by what the coach instructed and may have as  much to do with the revolving door on who was blocking for him). The failure to play Reagor, despite a TD, probably because of his muffs, coupled with Ward actually running on returns during the tank game, when the Eagles were eliminated colors my belief he had some reigns loosened but I could be wrong.  Sure seemed that Ward was instructed to play it safe last year.  

Now, would you want players regularly active and not starting to be good STers?  I suspect your answer will mirror my "yes”.  I would not object to a better PR this year but I don’t see one on the roster.  I can’t stomach Reagor’s muffs and Hightower was a KR in college and punts are different. 

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

That’s 40 more snaps than the next "depth” WR, Fulgham, who played on coverage teams.  (Fulgham had no stats on STs, so I am guessing you would say that wasn’t that "good”).  

I am not arguing Ward is a good PR.  I am pointing out that the requirement for a depth WR to be a good ST player that you suggested seems to be a false conclusion. (And seems colored by you extreme dislike of Ward, probably as much as my liking him affects my statement that  I hated the balls that he let hit the turf and some of his fair catches but that those may have been driven by what the coach instructed and may have as  much to do with the revolving door on who was blocking for him). The failure to play Reagor, despite a TD, probably because of his muffs, coupled with Ward actually running on returns during the tank game, when the Eagles were eliminated colors my belief he had some reigns loosened but I could be wrong.  Sure seemed that Ward was instructed to play it safe last year.  

Now, would you want players regularly active and not starting to be good STers?  I suspect your answer will mirror my "yes”.  I would not object to a better PR this year but I don’t see one on the roster.  I can’t stomach Reagor’s muffs and Hightower was a KR in college and punts are different. 

You continue to misunderstand. I don’t believe Ward will be a PR in the NFL moving forward, so what special teams will he play? It’s not 2020 anymore.

You keep talking about how much ST the other guys played, but there are two categories of depth guys in my opinion: Guys who play special teams or players who have theoretical upside. Fulgham, JJAW, Hightower and Watkins (unless he’s the KR) fall in the theoretical upside category. 

JJAW was on the team because of his scholarship as a second round pick but time has run out in all likelihood. Watkins and Hightower both have higher upside than Ward, although I think Hightower probably gets cut.

Really bad sign when a 2nd year player is already getting the "best shape of his life” treatment.

Also, I generally just assume all 2nd year 23 year old players come into camp in the best shape of their life.

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Wrong. Read the last line of my above quoted post. 

But you ignore me when I ask what the STs potential or theoretical upside you see in the depth WRs on the roster. All except Grimes were on the roster last year.  Watkins struggled to get active, didn’t play STs, Hightower got benched and barely sniffed at STs and JJAW(?).  So since it isn’t STs play, then you must see some amazing levels of theoretical upside from Hightower, Watkins, Grimes and JJAW? Because three years as a WR, you conclude that Ward has flatlined. (I don’t except that any player should flatline and have no problem cutting loose any player because they aren’t good enough). I am encouraged that Watkins, Reagor and Ward have been spending time with Hurts this offseason.  Hopefully with all getting better.   Fulgham should too.  He’s been playing WR longer than Ward, who played sparingly at WR as a freshman.  So should Hightower. Both are a bit raw too and the connection might help them. Don’t know why they aren’t.  Personally I hope none of the WRs has flatlined. I do worry of JJAW pulling an "Agholor”, one good year in five.  So JJAW has the most to prove to me that he should stick.  

Larry Bird would go home to his court in French Lick every year and work to add something more to his game.  Seems Ward, Reagor, Watkins and Hurts are doing a bit of that. 

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

But you ignore me when I ask what the STs potential or theoretical upside you see in the depth WRs on the roster. All except Grimes were on the roster last year.  Watkins struggled to get active, didn’t play STs, Hightower got benched and barely sniffed at STs and JJAW(?).  So since it isn’t STs play, then you must see some amazing levels of theoretical upside from Hightower, Watkins, Grimes and JJAW? Because three years as a WR, you conclude that Ward has flatlined. (I don’t except that any player should flatline and have no problem cutting loose any player because they aren’t good enough). I am encouraged that Watkins, Reagor and Ward have been spending time with Hurts this offseason.  Hopefully with all getting better.   Fulgham should too.  He’s been playing WR longer than Ward, who played sparingly at WR as a freshman.  So should Hightower. Both are a bit raw too and the connection might help them. Don’t know why they aren’t.  Personally I hope none of the WRs has flatlined. I do worry of JJAW pulling an "Agholor”, one good year in five.  So JJAW has the most to prove to me that he should stick.  

Larry Bird would go home to his court in French Lick every year and work to add something more to his game.  Seems Ward, Reagor, Watkins and Hurts are doing a bit of that. 

I don’t care about the special teams potential of Watkins or Hightower. I’m explaining to you that they’re on the 53 as developmental guys that they see with some upside. You’re making this far more convoluted than it needs to be. If you’re not a starter or key contributor, you better have some upside or be a special teams player. Once Ward loses his spot as a PR (hopefully this year), he will no longer be a special teamer based on his previous usage, and he doesn’t have any upside. 

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Really bad sign when a 2nd year player is already getting the "best shape of his life” treatment.

Also, I generally just assume all 2nd year 23 year old players come into camp in the best shape of their life.

Sigh. Did you read the article?

What a shame , bicycle crash

Former NBA player Mark Eaton, a one-time All-Star and two-time Defensive Player of the Year, has passed away at the age of 64. Eaton played 12 seasons with the Utah Jazz from 1982-1993

Archived