EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 hours ago, BigEFly said:

:offtopic:

For you Colorado area bloggers, does anyone have experience with how bad the road closure and lane limitations are on 50 west of Gunnison and how CO-92 is as an alternative route?  Driving up the Million Dollar Highway in a few weeks to the Black Canyon NP and then over towards Gunnison on 50 and that construction looks like a cluster F.

I just moved to the Springs not too long ago...this place reminds me of Vegas.  You have 2 seasons...winter/summer and construction season.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Ward had the only PR TD in the AAF, where he learned to return punts two years ago.

Practically no one has a chance at a KOR for a TD with the current rules.  The real question is whether the return can go further than the 25 or was the kick short to force that attempt.  The revolving door on STs had an impact on returns last year.  I think Hightower has difficulty tracking balls that may cause reluctance to use him as a KR.  He did some KOR in college but only occasionally. He has nice speed at 4.43 but he is also 6’2” and 190, which is kind of tall but light for a KR.  He offers a bigger target than Scott, who has similar speed (4.40 pro day) and more agility. Scott had 4.2 yards after contact with 45 missed tackles after contact.  He is a bit hard to bring down. And he doesn’t drop the ball. 

I really don’t understand the strong dislike for a couple of underdogs that have produced more than a number of maybes. 

Collectively, the group is terrible as returners.  But that’s ok, it’s not really a meaningful part of the game anymore.

But none of them have any elusiveness, wiggle, or ability to make people miss.

7 hours ago, BigEFly said:

I really don’t understand the strong dislike for a couple of underdogs that have produced more than a number of maybes. 

I don't have any dislike for Ward or Scott; I just see them as limited players who currently hold bottom of the roster spots for a 4-win team.  By definition, for a team to improve from 4 wins to a playoff team, those players need to be improved upon for the team to get where it needs to go.

Both Hightower and Watkins are late-round picks.  I don't expect them to be better than Ward but it would be nice if the Eagles hit on one of them.  They have a similar pedigree to Boston Scott, who was a #201 overall pick.  These guys don't usually stick in the NFL for any length of time (I know, Brady -- before a certain poster chimes in).  We'll see what Gainwell has to offer -- I believe as a receiving back he has better hands and fluidity than either Scott or Sanders, for that matter.  Hopefully he can become the #2 RB and Scott can be a #3, which is where he really should be.

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Collectively, the group is terrible as returners.  But that’s ok, it’s not really a meaningful part of the game anymore.

But none of them have any elusiveness, wiggle, or ability to make people miss.

Teach this guy when to make a fair catch or a touchback. He loves space and the D won’t want to give it, take their chances. See if the staff has it in them

35 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't have any dislike for Ward or Scott; I just see them as limited players who currently hold bottom of the roster spots for a 4-win team.  By definition, for a team to improve from 4 wins to a playoff team, those players need to be improved upon for the team to get where it needs to go.

Both Hightower and Watkins are late-round picks.  I don't expect them to be better than Ward but it would be nice if the Eagles hit on one of them.  They have a similar pedigree to Boston Scott, who was a #201 overall pick.  These guys don't usually stick in the NFL for any length of time (I know, Brady -- before a certain poster chimes in).  We'll see what Gainwell has to offer -- I believe as a receiving back he has better hands and fluidity than either Scott or Sanders, for that matter.  Hopefully he can become the #2 RB and Scott can be a #3, which is where he really should be.

Pretty much. Ward is symptomatic of a bad offense. He won’t get much better so it’s up to the Eagles to get better players or for them to develop players more talented than him. 

Like someone else said, that’s not Ward’s fault. It doesn’t make him any better than he is, however. A slot guy and punt returner who has zero ability with the ball in his hands is a bad combination. 

42 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

C’mon, we are due. I like Scott better than Ward. RB < receiver ... even. Ward as the 5th WR is barely and reluctantly acceptable this year

20 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

C’mon, we are due. I like Scott better than Ward. RB < receiver ... even. Ward as the 5th WR is barely and reluctantly acceptable this year

IMO Ward's perfect role is the 5th receiver. Sees maybe 10% of offensive snaps and is dependable. 

32 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

Teach this guy when to make a fair catch or a touchback. He loves space and the D won’t want to give it, take their chances. See if the staff has it in them

hopefully hes not making the team this year.

Sanders, Gainwell, and Johnson is the ideal depth chart out of the group of guys we have.

If they keep a 4th, itll be between Howard, and Scott. Scott likely wins with his return ability. 

Kerryon Johnson was a solid KR in college. Maybe he can do that here.

32 minutes ago, devpool said:

IMO Ward's perfect role is the 5th receiver. Sees maybe 10% of offensive snaps and is dependable. 

His perfect role is CFL.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Sanders, Gainwell, and Johnson is the ideal depth chart out of the group of guys we have.

If they keep a 4th, itll be between Howard, and Scott. Scott likely wins with his return ability. 

Only 7 players had a kick return TD in 2020, 2019. Only 5 in 2018. Only 7 players averaged over 25 yards on returns(min 11 attempts) in 2020. 

Honestly kick returns are a think of the past. Take your free 25 yards. No risk of block in the back, holding pents. can you get that rare big run for 30-50 yards? Of course but you get a lot more neg yard plays out of kick returns.

Not to mention the risk of injury is much higher. No point in risking a player, esp Kerryon who has a history. 

I take the same view as Bill Belicheat. If they kick in the endzone, take your free 25 yards. On the other side, try to kick it in the 5 yard range to make them return it and let them risk getting the penalty and a poor starting field. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Love Julio. 2nd is a good value for a team. 

However for us it does not make sense at his age and our team situation. 

I never believed the rumors having us in the mix. Reporters love throwing us in the mix of any player that is on the block. Do I think Howie called? Sure why not. But I don;t think he never really entertained it. 

Titans would be a nice fit. Plus I don;t think the Falcons want to keep him in the NFC if the offers are matching. 

11 hours ago, BigEFly said:

:offtopic:

For you Colorado area bloggers, does anyone have experience with how bad the road closure and lane limitations are on 50 west of Gunnison and how CO-92 is as an alternative route?  Driving up the Million Dollar Highway in a few weeks to the Black Canyon NP and then over towards Gunnison on 50 and that construction looks like a cluster F.

Construction is always a mess through there, lots of cones and closed lanes and no construction workers for miles.

I'm convinced my taxes pay just for cones.

I'm in Kansas from Utah and when we go back to Utah we go through Colorado and Wyoming, and seems every time there are lane closures throughout.

Good luck, we usually Google map it for alternate routes and most routes are filled with construction 

It's sixes.

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Only 7 players had a kick return TD in 2020, 2019. Only 5 in 2018. Only 7 players averaged over 25 yards on returns(min 11 attempts) in 2020. 

Honestly kick returns are a think of the past. Take your free 25 yards. No risk of block in the back, holding pents. can you get that rare big run for 30-50 yards? Of course but you get a lot more neg yard plays out of kick returns.

Not to mention the risk of injury is much higher. No point in risking a player, esp Kerryon who has a history. 

I take the same view as Bill Belicheat. If they kick in the endzone, take your free 25 yards. On the other side, try to kick it in the 5 yard range to make them return it and let them risk getting the penalty and a poor starting field. 

I like the way they do KR in the XFL, surprised the NFL hasn't adopted that or at least brought it forward to the competition committee

Legislating KR out of the game is just one more way the league has gone too soft 

Maybe the XFL has it patented 😁

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Why do you hope Huntley doesn't make the team???

Hes a multi faceted player who can catch run and return kicks and has some good speed 

The top 3 are likely sanders scott gainwell,the 4th back isn't likely to get a lot of touches and to be active will need to play special teams. Do Howard and kerryon Johnson really want to be covering punts???

Neither really return kicks 

Where as Huntley can play teams return kicks run catch and would add more on the end of the roster than an aging vet sitting on the bench maybe getting 2 carries a game.

8 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Why do you hope Huntley doesn't make the team???

Hes a multi faceted player who can catch run and return kicks and has some good speed 

The top 3 are likely sanders scott gainwell,the 4th back isn't likely to get a lot of touches and to be active will need to play special teams. Do Howard and kerryon Johnson really want to be covering punts???

Neither really return kicks 

Where as Huntley can play teams return kicks run catch and would add more on the end of the roster than an aging vet sitting on the bench maybe getting 2 carries a game.

Can't tell if serious. 

15 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Can't tell if serious. 

I am serious, the dude pee in your Cheerios or something???

What have Howard kerryon Killian's holyfield shown that would make one " want" those guys to make the team more than Huntley???

I don't really care who makes the team, I want the best guy for whatever role.

The 4th back is going to need to playy teams, I think Huntley is a better fit for that role than howard and Kerryon

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Pretty much. Ward is symptomatic of a bad offense. He won’t get much better so it’s up to the Eagles to get better players or for them to develop players more talented than him. 

Like someone else said, that’s not Ward’s fault. It doesn’t make him any better than he is, however. A slot guy and punt returner who has zero ability with the ball in his hands is a bad combination. 

The guy catches nearly everything thrown to him so I can see how that is a bad combination for the Eagles since fans like you must love what we have seen over the last few decades of a lot of WRs who drop a lot of balls but can look flashy doing so.  

Meh, let it shake out in training camp.

I think it's going to have a wide open feel this year, not only is it a rebuild, but Sirianni has no attachment to anyone on the roster.

And I would just give a mulligan for last season and give everyone a clean slate.

29 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The guy catches nearly everything thrown to him so I can see how that is a bad combination for the Eagles since fans like you must love what we have seen over the last few decades of a lot of WRs who drop a lot of balls but can look flashy doing so.  

Don’t be dense. I won’t apologize for having higher standards than you. 

Archived