Connecticut Eagle

9 hours ago, Utebird said:

Camp body😉

JJAW

I know. The joke was that a die hard eagles fan wouldn’t recognize him 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg Ward is a nice player on a team towards the bottom of the roster. I have issues with the rest of the team being so bad that Ward is our "best WR" by default. I have issues with Ward catching 50+ passes because he doesn't have the ability to be a threat and they're primarily safety net receptions.

I have no issues with Greg Ward being the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart. I have no issues with Ward starting in a pinch if he needs to because of injury or coming in to spell guys for a few plays here and there.

8 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

You’d get laughed at if you tried.  Agholor had the most catches in the Super Bowl, and Mills had the most tackles — big F’n deal; they both suck.  Agholor was the 8th or 9th most important offensive player in the game.

Are you going to laugh at me? If Agholor doesn't put together his best season in 2017 I doubt we win the Super Bowl. 

8 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

9 catches for 84 yards seems pretty important... no matter where you rank it. 

You shmucks on here get your rocks off arguing about anything. 

Get serious -- Foles, Jeffery, Clement, Blount, Ertz all made more important contributions, and that ignores the OL.  Every Pats receiver had better games than Agholor did.  Agholor made some catches for a first down?  Great -- put him on the Wall of Honor.  

The guy had 2 adequate seasons here; not good -- adequate.  Adequate was his highest bar.

7 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He has a mean fair catch. 

Are you talking about on ST or on offense 😆

Just now, greend said:

Are you going to laugh at me? If Agholor doesn't put together his best season in 2017 I doubt we win the Super Bowl. 

Yup.  Disagree completely.  I'm just glad he's getting overpaid in NE now.  Frankly he isn't worth arguing about, so this comment pretty much finishes my interest in the topic.

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Get serious -- Foles, Jeffery, Clement, Blount, Ertz all made more important contributions, and that ignores the OL.  Every Pats receiver had better games than Agholor did.  Agholor made some catches for a first down?  Great -- put him on the Wall of Honor.  

The guy had 2 adequate seasons here; not good -- adequate.  Adequate was his highest bar.

Why because he didn’t score a TD?? Whatever I’m just going to stick with Agholor being a key reason on why we won. So we’re those other guys. 

Agholor is going into season 7 and was a key contributor to winning a Super Bowl one year. That’s not a horrible career. He was never Jeremy Maclin like he was expected to be but at the end of the day he’ll have a career most prospects dream of. 

7 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Disagree with the overdrafted. That feels like more of a hindsight opinion. Day of the draft he went relatively where most thought. 

I remember being unimpressed with the selection. Like he was taken 10-15 picks too early. The Eagles just lost Maclin and Chip drafted the player that most closely resembled him. That’s how it felt anyway. 

I don't understand how anyone can "hate" Agholor after SB52. Forget the last drive, he breaks a tackle on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter (Clement's long TD reception drive) that was so clutch. 

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Perhaps the most important play of Super Bowl 52 was a 2-yard pass to the TE.

You're always deliberately obtuse with that response.  You know the frequent formation and play I'm referring to -- the short pass to the flat that never goes anywhere.  If it would help you I'll drag and drop about 40 examples of these plays that go nowhere.

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

Greg Ward is a nice player on a team towards the bottom of the roster. I have issues with the rest of the team being so bad that Ward is our "best WR" by default. I have issues with Ward catching 50+ passes because he doesn't have the ability to be a threat and they're primarily safety net receptions.

I have no issues with Greg Ward being the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart. I have no issues with Ward starting in a pinch if he needs to because of injury or coming in to spell guys for a few plays here and there.

These are my thoughts.  He's uninspiring as our main target, but if he's WR4/5 then that's a great role for him.  He has no business being the PR anymore however.  We need someone with some pop back who makes the correct fair catch calls, knows when to catch vs. let it bounce and such.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

These are my thoughts.  He's uninspiring as our main target, but if he's WR4/5 then that's a great role for him.  He has no business being the PR anymore however.  We need someone with some pop back who makes the correct fair catch calls, knows when to catch vs. let it bounce and such.

PR should be Reagor's job.  Should have been his job last year.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

It should but he's also in the starting role now so we might have to reconsider using him.  Did Watkins return any punts in college?  He seems to have some serious quicks.  

It should but he's also in the starting role now so we might have to reconsider using him.  Did Watkins return any punts in college?  He seems to have some serious quicks.  

He did, but I have no idea if Watkins even makes the team -- we're talking about a #200 overall draft pick who some on here overrate quite a bit.  I believe a PR should still be a weapon; Reagor makes splash plays on PR.  A starter can still be a PR while they're young.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

He did, but I have no idea if Watkins even makes the team -- we're talking about a #200 overall draft pick who some on here overrate quite a bit.  I believe a PR should still be a weapon; Reagor makes splash plays on PR.  A starter can still be a PR while they're young.

Agree it should be a weapon and I think Watkins, despite being pick 200, can be a weapon if used right.  I think this is how it looks right now.

Locks:

Reagor, Smith

Near locks:

Ward, Fulgham, Watkins

Fighting for WR6

JJAW, Hightower, Grimes

PS:

'Tate, Ausbon 

Agree it should be a weapon and I think Watkins, despite being pick 200, can be a weapon if used right.  I think this is how it looks right now.

Locks:

Reagor, Smith

Near locks:

Ward, Fulgham, Watkins

Fighting for WR6

JJAW, Hightower, Grimes

PS:

'Tate, Ausbon 

I wouldn't argue with any of that, and if Sirianni has Watkins higher on the depth chart than Hightower I'll trust him to make that call.  

Don't be shocked if Grimes makes the roster (maybe PS) and sees game action this season -- it all depends if he wants it bad enough; the talent is there.

:offtopic:

1    Markelle Fultz - Philadelphia 76ers
2    Lonzo Ball - Los Angeles Lakers
3    Jayson Tatum - Boston Celtics

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

Those don’t look like the stats of a threat to you ??

21 hours ago, downundermike said:

Tallest midget.  Had 5 or more receptions 3 times, had 2 or less receptions 9 times.  Had more than 30 yards 6 times, had 20 or less yards 8 times.

Let me say that again in bold, had 20 or less yards 8 times.

I mean, how open are you really with game logs like this.

1 catch for 6 yards

4 for15

2 for 20

1 for 3

3 for 9

3 for 10

2 for 19

1 for 5

Payments to UDFAs:

Jack Stoll, TE, Nebraska Guarantee: $122,500, Signing bonus: $22,500

Kayode Awosika, OG, Buffalo, Guarantee: $112,500, Signing bonus: $12,500

Trevon Grimes, WR, Florida, Guarantee: $82,500, Signing bonus: $7,500

Jhamon Ausbon, WR, Texas A&M, Guarantee: $80,000, Signing bonus: $10,000

Harry Crider, C, Indiana, Guarantee: $42,500, Signing bonus: $22,500

JaQquan Bailey, DE, Iowa State, Guarantee: $40,000, Signing bonus: $15,000

Jamie Newman, QB, Wake Forest, Guarantee: $0, Signing bonus: $0

I think Stoll is a lock, high character, good but not great athleticism, dinged up in 2020 but solid college career. H-back candidate who might bulk up to true TE size. 

Awosika is a college OT who'll move inside to OG, but he's a limited athlete who'll struggle to hit targets on the second level

Grimes is a "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" type. Similar to Butler. With that frame, he may end up a H-back candidate if he can't separate from CBs.

Ausbon is a better college player than Grimes with similar athleticism except he's painfully slow, may push JJAW for a potential "Burton" role.

Crider is a potential upgrade over PIerschbacher as center depth, whether he's as good as Juriga remains to be seen.

Bailey is a camp body.

Interesting that Newman got no money, he may have chosen the Eagles on the basis of opportunity, one year on the PS then push for a backup job.

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

Pretty spot on.  Pederson said when asked about trying to fix Wentz that he was drawing up safe throws.  That was Ward, who seemed to be running a lot of RB routes.  The short routes were to get the ball out and try to cure Carson’s yips.  I like Ward’s effort and the way he runs up to congratulate other players. That’s good for the team. I would be plenty happy with him as a 4th or 5th WR.  He is not a good PR but the only other option is Reagor.  He is better when he catches it but does muff from sneaky a late peak.  With the selection of Smith, they can risk Reagor catching punts this year but I sure hope Clay can fix his bad tendencies. I think the WRs when their are three on the field are going to vary.  Fulgham needs to be five game Fulgham. Note convinced JJAW isn’t a flop.  Watkins needs to take the next step or Hightower. Then there is the Na Brown finalist/Nasty Nate candidate, Grimes.   Would I like to see one of them step up and supplant Ward as the clear number 3 WR?  If they can play better, sure.  But I think Ward brings some intangibles to the locker room too, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is one of the WRs on the final roster.  As Manu admits, he does catch the ball and that is something Hightower, JJAW and even Watkins and Fulgham, with a touch of Reagor have yet to do.  Ward was asked to play X and slot in 2019 and was the starting slot in 2020:because he catches the ball.   The top two things for a WR are run good routes and catch the ball.  He did that well enough to try and get Carson out of his yips last year, when even Ertz failed.  BTW, Ertz strengths are that he runs good routes and he usually limits his drops.  Well Ertz had the worst drop percentage on the team last year so Ward became the outlet.  People harp on Ward’s shallow routes.  Those were by design by the coaching staff.  

I like Ward.  I like that he has and continues to battle his way to play in the NFL.  I like his team spirit.  I tongue and cheek about him being the team’s leading receiver because his discipline and effort resulted in that.  Hope that wears off on Fulgham, JJAW, Hightower, Watkins, Grimes and even Reagor.

Watkins needs to run more than fly routes and posts, needs to avoid banana routes (love that term) and catch the ball consistently. But look for Sirianni to draw up some fly route plays for him because he does that well. Basket catcher so needs to work on hands and his stick.  Needs to expand his route tree.  

Suggestion on Fulgham is he needs to improve his work ethic.  He also needs to continue to work on his hands. (Ward could be a good example for him).  More quick and agile than fast.  I figure Sirianni can design some plays for him.  Needs to broaden his route tree and stick to avoid banana routes. 

Hightower needs to work on his hands and tracking the ball.  May not be fixable.  Basket catcher and his route running makes his best route the slant.  Reich and Sirianni run a lot of slants.  Problem with basket catching is it is easier to defend.  Now Hightower does hand catch, it’s just not consistent. 

JJAW?  Who the F knows.  Get the number of Tebows gym and bulk up and try to make it as a TE?  I have not a lot of faith anything happens with him.

Grimes was a UDFA for a reason.  Needs to really improve his route running and expand his tree.  Improve hands.  PS candidate. 

Ward needs to improve his stick and burst.   I know he had good field vision as a dual threat QB but running for YAC as a WR is a different view.  He needs to figure out how to get more separation and keep it.  He needs to continue working to perfect that Greg Lewis sideline first down route.  (Speaking of Greg, he switched to RB coach for AR this year.  Duce should take a page and move around as a coach). 

Hurts needs to throw more like Brady, putting the ball where the receiver can catch in stride as opposed to Carson, where it could be a stick it but just as likely high and/or behind. I actually noted that on some of Hurts’ throws in college and last year.  Helped one of his receivers to be a first round pick last year.  YAC has every bit as much to do with the QB’s ball placement as the receiver’s play.  

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Terrible take.  While they do need to upgrade from Ward at PR, Reagor is an awful choice.  The guy is extremely prone to dropping punts.  Every day of training camp last year there were reports of him dropping at least one punt in practice.  Every single day.  Then last year he only had like 4 returns and on the one that he returned for a TD he had dropped first.  While he might be a threat to return 1 or 2 punts for a TD over the course of the season he is a much bigger threat to fumble a punt and give it right back to the other team with great field position.

The thing about Ward is that he needs to become a good special teams contributor to stick in the NFL. He’s not good enough to be a top three receiver, and your depth receivers better have theoretical upside or play special teams. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Those don’t look like the stats of a threat to you ??

Calvin Johnson 2.0

Archived