EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

If the mother suddenly dies, which one of the one-month-old infant or the fetus will survive longer?

Both longer than an 18 year old honors student Boy Scout on a ventilator if it were shut off.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eagle45 said:

Both longer than an 18 year old honors student Boy Scout on a ventilator.

OK, a WTF non sequitur.

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

At the very least he seems to be a likeable person, which makes him easy to root for. Not an a-hole like kelly or a grump like belichik and carroll. Whether he's bad at the job i guess is irrelevant, the team is probably gonna be bad for the next 3 years anyway, so by the time we're back on the upswing it would be time for a new coach anyway

37 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

So does any human stem cell.   I would suggest that we know the subject to which you reference is a third rail topic and unlikely to influence anyone else’s beliefs so that maybe this is a topic we table.

That’s also not entirely accurate.

45 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

This is cliched nonsense. Stop parroting talking points and learn economics. the greed angle is emotional and lazy thinking. So yes you are a fine example of the lazy entitled problem. You are not the solution you push the diseased mindset

Economics taught by who? Predatory capitalists?

I could go on and on about this sort of stuff and have many times with other people but what's the point, I'll say something you'll call me names I'll disagree you'll call me names and we never come to any conclusions about whether or not Jalen hurts is any good.

🤔

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Since when is firing guns freely anywhere in the without discretion or drunk driving a freedom afforded to us? 

High risk people should absolutely go get the vaccine.  Anyone else that wants to get it should absolutely go ahead and get it.  Anyone that doesn't want to put something in their body that their not sure of should have to right to make that choice.  

What is that saying used by the pro-choice crowd in regards to abortion? "My body, my choice". 

Also for the record I got the vaccine.  That was my choice.  But I'm 100% for people's right to make that chosie for themselves and if they don't want to get it I 100% support their decision. 

If it affected only them I would absolutely agree with you. It doesn't affect only them, it affects anyone who comes within breathing/sneezing/coughing range of them. "But others should be vaccinated!". Maybe those others are vaccinated but they're one of the 4% -6% that vaccines do not confer immunity. Maybe they can't be vaccinated, maybe it's just bad luck.

If this were a normal vaccine I think the argument for mandatory vaccinations would make sense. However, this isn't a normal vaccine. It's what, less than a year old? Most vaccines go through years of trials, I don't blame people for sitting this one out. 

This coming from someone who got the "most high risk" one in J&J. Although I'm not a woman under 50 so the clotting thing was never really a deal breaker for me

20 minutes ago, devpool said:

If this were a normal vaccine I think the argument for mandatory vaccinations would make sense. However, this isn't a normal vaccine. It's what, less than a year old? Most vaccines go through years of trials, I don't blame people for sitting this one out. 

This coming from someone who got the "most high risk" one in J&J. Although I'm not a woman under 50 so the clotting thing was never really a deal breaker for me

Measles vaccine was developed in 2 years 50 plus years ago.

So while technically " years" just by the bare minimum😉

I get the reluctance and hesitation, it was developed relatively quickly and seems the trust people have in their government is pretty low.

I think it's important for people to gather as much reputable available information, problem is there is so much misinformation and we are constantly inundated with information from every side that it can be difficult to decipher what's legit and whats not.

I think current evidence on reactions to covid vaccines are promising and should quell people's fears about being vaccinated

None of that takes into account though the number of people who refuse to get vaccinated because they are stubborn and don't like being told what to do.

24 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Measles vaccine was developed in 2 years 50 plus years ago.

So while technically " years" just by the bare minimum😉

I get the reluctance and hesitation, it was developed relatively quickly and seems the trust people have in their government is pretty low.

I think it's important for people to gather as much reputable available information, problem is there is so much misinformation and we are constantly inundated with information from every side that it can be difficult to decipher what's legit and whats not.

I think current evidence on reactions to covid vaccines are promising and should quell people's fears about being vaccinated

None of that takes into account though the number of people who refuse to get vaccinated because they are stubborn and don't like being told what to do.

I'm not sure how much lower it can go from here lol. It doesn't help that guidance is changing what seems like every other week. Masks are necessary, masks don't work, they work again, they aren't necessary but you should still wear them. Vaccination doesn't prevent transmission, now it does, oh wait it doesn't, we aren't sure yet. It's probably too much for some people who just want a little bit of clarity 

2 minutes ago, devpool said:

I'm not sure how much lower it can go from here lol. It doesn't help that guidance is changing what seems like every other week. Masks are necessary, masks don't work, they work again, they aren't necessary but you should still wear them. Vaccination doesn't prevent transmission, now it does, oh wait it doesn't, we aren't sure yet. It's probably too much for some people who just want a little bit of clarity 

Clarity is subjective I suppose, but will I listen to the view of politicians — or epidemiologists?  I’ll trust the experts who tell me, virtually unanimously, to get the vaccine.

I took the AstraZeneca vaccine because that’s what was offered to me when I lined up on the first day I was eligible to line up.  I’m not in the risk group for blood clots, and I have zero trust that some idiot in the general population isn’t going to infect me by not washing his/her hands or masking properly.

1 hour ago, devpool said:

I was in a doctor's office yesterday. They said the J&J risk was to women under 50 on birth control pills. Even for that group the risk is miniscule. Everyone may have a different risk/reward evaluation but to me the vaccine is a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

If it affected only them I would absolutely agree with you. It doesn't affect only them, it affects anyone who comes within breathing/sneezing/coughing range of them. "But others should be vaccinated!". Maybe those others are vaccinated but they're one of the 4% -6% that vaccines do not confer immunity. Maybe they can't be vaccinated, maybe it's just bad luck.

Don’t bother w him

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

The problem with economic theory is how often it fails. 

Nah it doesnt fail. Humans fail because we are short sighted and lousy at evaluating risk. Thus behavioral economics

1 hour ago, devpool said:

I told plenty of people with the same apprehension to get the j&j vaccine then. Its the old technology similar to every other vaccine they ever got

i got the pfizer as did the wife and daughter bc it was readily available near us and being in r&d i was not concerned about the risks. They are minimal but the general population has little idea what all that info means

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Economics taught by who? Predatory capitalists?

I could go on and on about this sort of stuff and have many times with other people but what's the point, I'll say something you'll call me names I'll disagree you'll call me names and we never come to any conclusions about whether or not Jalen hurts is any good.

🤔

Hurts stinks the only one who didnt grasp that was Lurie

you go on and on with this emotional drivel. On that we can agree

3 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Just my luck, like the stupid key low battery warning on my car, nothing works to make it stop, the same would happen with your breathalyzers after I took a swig of mouthwash.  Yeah, no thanks. I am not pro drunk driving but I am against fallible technology.  

This and telephone clarity has suffered due to technology. 

5 hours ago, Utebird said:

Abortion doesn't lead to other people dying or directly to others getting an abortion. before you chime in and say what about the baby, it's not a baby it's a fetus, and before you chime in about late term abortions, late term abortions account for around 2% of abortions as they are most often only performed when the fetus is no longer viable or is in danger to the mother.

No one is forcing any one to take the vaccine, instead we are expected to do so out of social responsibility, not doing so puts others in harm's way, whether or not someone chooses to or not to get an abortion doesn't directly put someone else in harm's way.

I will always advocate for people getting vaccinated, just as I would advocate for people to wash their hands. They have the freedom to not or do so and when they don't  not doing so has potential adverse effects on the rest of us.

What would happen to the fetus if it were not aborted?  

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What would happen to the fetus if it were not aborted?  

You’re really going high and right today man. Just stop. 

5 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Well then, your freedom should not be at the expense of my freedom so you should be fine with no public benefits like Medicaid, Medicare and SSDI plus an exclusion on the health insurance policy for folks that refuse the free vaccine.  I mean shouldn’t I be free from paying taxes and premiums to support your freedom of choice.  Or should we, as members of society and citizens elect to vaccinate for the benefit of our fellow man.   You are advocating a selfish, narcissistic and unChristian position from my viewpoint. The same with the unvaccinated that refuse to wear masks, not for their own protection but for the protection of their fellow man.  I suspect you are trolling but either way, I must reject your approach.  My folks raised me better than that.  

If you're going to do that then those people you are excluding from Medicaid, Medicare and SSDI benefits should also be excluded from having to pay into those benefits through taxes.

Also funny how you want to exclude people from health insurance policies for not getting the vaccine when health insurance companies won't cover any adverse reactions to the vaccines since they are still technically experimental.  

I'm not Christian so I don't give a crap if I have an "unChristian position" in your mind.  

4 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

You’re really going high and right today man. Just stop. 

What happens to the fetus if it isn't aborted?  You don't see the hypocritical nature where you want to claim people who choose to not get vaccinated are going to kill people so it isn't their body their choice but you refuse to acknowledge that those who choose to get abortions are killing what would become a human life?

I have more confidence in not suffering any long term harm from the Covid vaccine than I do in not suffering any long term health impact Covid.  

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

So do miscarriages. So God is a mass murderer? Be careful when logic takes you into blasphemy.

Fetuses are not people, that's a religious view predicated on a belief that there is such a thing as a soul, and it enters the zygote at the moment of conception.

That is strictly a matter of faith, not science, and the 1st amendment requires separation of Church (faith) and State.

Faith cannot be argued b/c it requires belief, not evidence, which is why our forefathers wanted religion out of secular life, and government out of religion. Because religious people cannot come to agreement without compromising their beliefs, in which case they're no longer beliefs but opinions. And if they can't come to agreement, bolstered by their belief that they alone possess the Truth - history shows they will resort to force to impose that "Truth" upon others - our forefathers were well acquainted with the religious conflicts that wracked Europe for centuries. Today, we see those same conflicts in regions of the world where the Enlightenment did not take hold (valuing reason and science above religion).

Nor is anti-abortion "pro life" - pro life requires that you value all life, thus be opposed to the death penalty, be in favor of raising your taxes to help the mothers you force to bear children (pre-natal and health care) and to help the mother and child after it is born, etc. - otherwise you're just punishing women for getting pregnant and have no concern for the unborn child. A small minority of Catholics hold to those precepts (and a smaller proportion of Protestants) - only that group can legitimately call themselves "pro-life."

In economics we have two concepts, "revealed preference" and "cheap talk." Basically they mean "money talks, BS walks." 

You can label yourself anything you want, but your actions determine what you really believe, especially when it comes to whether you're willing to bear the costs of the policies you would impose on others.

Faith and religion has nothing to do with the fact that fetus have beating hearts and they are life and would develop into a baby to be born.  That is 100% ending a human life.  It's very convenient for you to try to present yourself as some high holey virtuous person over your stance that everyone needs to be vaccinated or they will kill people, yet you support abortion when it 100% results in the end of a life that would otherwise come to fruition.  You're not the virtuous person you try to present yourself as.  

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What happens to the fetus if it isn't aborted?  You don't see the hypocritical nature where you want to claim people who choose to not get vaccinated are going to kill people so it isn't their body their choice but you refuse to acknowledge that those who choose to get abortions are killing what would become a human life?

I never said anything about it. You’re so hysterical you can’t even track who says what and who you’re responding to. Step away from it man. 

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

Do you support vaccination passports?

Because don't I have the right to know who refused a vaccine and is potentially contagious, and doesn't a business have the right to exclude those people to reassure customers that it's safe to frequent their place of business?

I support individual choice, but that also includes the right to information to protect myself from other people's bad choices.

Like cars should have breathalyzers that cause a flashing light when a drunk driver is behind the wheel. (facetious, but not completely, I avoid drunk drivers and drivers who text while driving, pretty much the same thing, like the plague).

Why do you have the right to someone else's medical history?  If you are vaccinated then why are you so scared of people who are not?  What about the people who due to medical conditions are not able to get the vaccine?  Are they to be locked out of all of society because they can't get your ludicrous vaccination passport? 

Archived