EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

Agreed 

I mean to some degree the combine tests replicate these metrics but where’s the need to do that when you can see it on tape.  I think the other real change will be the GPS data from games and practices.  I mean what purpose does a 40 time have when they will have hundreds of examples of a player’s speed. 

Yup, the instances a player run 40 yards in a straight line with zero contact is few and far between.

Where as measuring actual In game speeds and acceleration can give one a more accurate picture of what a prospect can do playing football rather than track.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Recent studies have shown the vaccine does reduce the spread of the virus because it dramaticlaly reduces the viral load and thus the rate at which virus is shed. Like most viruses, infection depends on the amount of exposure, the body can handle a small dose but above the threshold level the immune system is overwhelmed.

The long-term effects of infection by COVID are a couple orders of magnitude greater than any potential long-term effect of the vaccine, studies are showing that a substantial proportion of those infected who are not sick enough to be hospitalized suffer damage due to inflammation and clotting from COVID. It'll take decades to find out the full extent, but for example, people who had West Nile Fever have been found to have 3x the mortality from kidney disease, and COVID is far more damaging, hitting multiple organs.

Given the overwhelming evidence, easily found from reputable sources (or go read the medical literature), anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is an idiot. The risk/reward calculus is so heavily weighted toward the vaccine that you have to be a conspiracy theorist to find any justification for not getting vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-long-haulers-long-term-effects-of-covid19

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90966

https://www.thoracic.org/about/newsroom/post-covid-complications.pdf

Finally, some clarity consistent with science.

14 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yes and deal with the consequences of their decision. 

A thousand times this. As long as the stupidity - er decision - doesn't negatively impact those around him/her.

14 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

A thousand times this. As long as the stupidity - er decision - doesn't negatively impact those around him/her.

Which it does

3 hours ago, NCiggles said:

That’s how every vaccine works you idiot. The vaccine provides immunity so that your body’s immune system response prevents the disease from making you sick. What did you think they were little magic shields?  

That’s what I was told

image.gif.e57cb521512ebce872c684293ea00623.gif

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How so?  

It’s all very well documented. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How so?  

Failure to vaccinate provides the virus with "petri dishes" in which to mutate into more dangerous forms, as well as a reservoir of infection that keeps the disease a constant threat. Think of vaccination as a "fire wall" that isolates diseased individuals by surrounding them with people who can't be infected.

Normally, infection also serves to build a fire wall, but the virus has mutated into forms that can reinfect those who caught earlier variants, the vaccines are more efficient at priming the immune system to handle the more contagious and dangerous variants.

Though at some point we may all need a "booster shot", both to maintain immunity and prime the immune system for even more dangerous variants (such as the one ravaging India).

It's also in our interest to subsidize vaccination in the third world, 7 billion walking petri dishes provide opportunities for even more dangerous mutations. While most mutations are harmless, if you have billions of infected people carrying trillions of viruses, it's inevitable that some harmful mutations will occur and spread.

8 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

It’s all very well documented. 

How though?  Those who aren't vaccinated are only really a danger to those who also decide to not get vaccinated.  So it's all assumed risk.  It's their right.  

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Failure to vaccinate provides the virus with "petri dishes" in which to mutate into more dangerous forms, as well as a reservoir of infection that keeps the disease a constant threat. Think of vaccination as a "fire wall" that isolates diseased individuals by surrounding them with people who can't be infected.

Normally, infection also serves to build a fire wall, but the virus has mutated into forms that can reinfect those who caught earlier variants, the vaccines are more efficient at priming the immune system to handle the more contagious and dangerous variants.

Though at some point we may all need a "booster shot", both to maintain immunity and prime the immune system for even more dangerous variants (such as the one ravaging India).

It's also in our interest to subsidize vaccination in the third world, 7 billion walking petri dishes provide opportunities for even more dangerous mutations. While most mutations are harmless, if you have billions of infected people carrying trillions of viruses, it's inevitable that some harmful mutations will occur and spread.

Not everyone in the world is going to get vaccinated.  The vaccine itself does not stop you from being able to get and carry the virus.  The vaccine will not eliminate it potentially mutating.  

5 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I don't think they will miss the playoffs because of no true OTA's with 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 but I do think with brand new schemes, a new starting QB, new backup QB that every little bit on the field is only going to help.

What the F is a  true OTA to you?   Let’s skip Phase 1 because almost all players did this year and I think it was virtual.  The Eagles players had stated as a group they wouldn’t attend the OTAs, so the coaches negotiated.Phase 2 occurred and Eagles had their deal in place so most players participated.  Basically classroom and individual drills. Normal Phase 2 would be as listed by the NFLPA below.   So as I said, the Eagles modified Phase 3 to exclude 7 on 7 and 9 on 9 and what is in essence a three day minicamp because the physicals have been done.  So you are upset there are no 7 on 7 or 9 on 9 no contact drills and no 3 day mandatory minicamp.  In the meantime we read about team building (that’s what those competition games are and some involve NFL skills or technique used on the field), players like Ward and Smith working after practice and getting Slay’s input from a top level NFL CB perspective.  We already know that before the OTAs, Ward, Watkins and Reagor were already working together down in Houston and I won’t be surprised at all if we don’t see more receivers with Hurts in June and the OL and DL getting together.  But these are true OTAs.  Just modified.  I would rather have four (7 total) weeks with 95% player attendance than three days of 100%.  This general rule on the offseason workouts seems to fit what the Eagles are doing: Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority. 

Phase Two | 4 hours a day

• Three weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"; only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*

• 90 minute max on the field

• Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

• Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc. )

• All coaches allowed on the field

• Individual and "perfect play” drills allowed 

• No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets

Phase Three | 6 hours a day

• 4 weeks total

• 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s

• A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks

• During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply

• A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week

• One week for mini camp

• No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted

• No live contact

• 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place

Minicamp | 10 hours a day

• Physicals on Monday but no practice 

• Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday

• Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day

• Second practice limited to walk through activities only

Not everyone in the world is going to get vaccinated.  The vaccine itself does not stop you from being able to get and carry the virus.  The vaccine will not eliminate it potentially mutating.  

It saddens me to say this, but you have no idea of what you are talking about.

8 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Neither do you.  

8 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

You may be saddened .... but are you really surprised?

Looks like the Eagles will play this season until the very end.

46 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

But it does.  Like a friend that had his cataract surgery postponed for months.  Like the unvaccinated and uninsured that have treatment paid for by Medicaid, or the insured that cause the price of insurance to rise or the Medicare eligible that take funds from the Medicare trust.  I would hear it all the time, if I ride my motorcycle without a helmet, only I am at risk, if I don’t wear a seatbelt, only I am at risk.  Well, in my job, I saw what happened with those helmetless or seatbeltless folks.  If they died, I would see the cost to families.  If the lived the cost was multiplied and could include Medicaid picking up long term care and social security disability claims for income and Medicare eligibility.  Well non vaccinated death and hospitalization rates aren’t going down like vaccinated rates.  There is a cost to others.  

25 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How though?  Those who aren't vaccinated are only really a danger to those who also decide to not get vaccinated.  So it's all assumed risk.  It's their right.  

My brother Eric was a diabetic all his life, had a kidney and pancreas transplant, was vaccinated, and due to the immunosuppressants may not be able to produce antibodies.  An infection would be almost certainly fatal to him.  Because community infection is still a thing he can’t leave his house. His choice is to risk running into somebody like you on the job and dying or quitting and walking away from his pension. 

my best man has a nonverbal autistic child in cancer treatment.  How do you explain to a nonverbal child why they can’t go outside because they could die? 

Same for those in cancer treatment. Anyone on immunosuppressants. The anti vaxers keep us from community immunity and people like this pay the price. To me, it’s just selfishness. It’s a bit of self sacrifice to protect those among us that need it the most. 

2 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

My brother Eric was a diabetic all his life, had a kidney and pancreas transplant, was vaccinated, and due to the immunosuppressants may not be able to produce antibodies.  An infection would be almost certainly fatal to him.  Because community infection is still a thing he can’t leave his house. His choice is to risk running into somebody like you on the job and dying or quitting and walking away from his pension. 

my best man has a nonverbal autistic child in cancer treatment.  How do you explain to a nonverbal child why they can’t go outside because they could die? 

Same for those in cancer treatment. Anyone on immunosuppressants. The anti vaxers keep us from community immunity and people like this pay the price. To me, it’s just selfishness. It’s a bit of self sacrifice to protect those among us that need it the most. 

Why can't the kid go outside to play?  The chance of infection outside is so astronomically low that they aren't even sure if you can even transmit the virus outside.

33 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Interestingly I was just talking to my wife about vaccines and she was telling me she read somewhere (sorry don't have the reference) that some some believe with the protocols that were exercised due to covid( masks, restricted travel, social distancing, increased hand washing) that some variants of the flu may have died off as they didn't have enough hosts to, incubate in,for lack of a better term.

So to your point what happened with the flu over the year would support the thought that the more bodies are vaccinated the less petri dishes there are for covids to mutate and grow.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Why can't the kid go outside to play?  The chance of infection outside is so astronomically low that they aren't even sure if you can even transmit the virus outside.

You have no concept of risk.

Just now, Desertbirds said:

The risk of transmission of COVID outside is less then 0.1%.  There might be a higher percent chance of the kid being seriously injured in a car accident.  

Just now, Desertbirds said:

il_794xN.2958003650_ght0.jpg

I also tried Castle Risk.  It was ok, but I prefer the original.

That said, "Mission Risk" is a very nice variation... much more intrigue.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The risk of transmission of COVID outside is less then 0.1%.  There might be a higher percent chance of the kid being seriously injured in a car accident.  

No, you are talking about the probability of transmission.

2 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

No, you are talking about the probability of transmission.

tenor.gif

I was immuno suppressed due to chemo and cancer during the pandemic and before.

Before covid hit I was wearing a mask because my oncologist said a simple cold could kill me 

My son was in school and not allowed in my room for about 6 months while I was taking chemo, because who knows what he could pick up and spread.we went through bottles of sanitizer.

We didn't allow any body in our home my wife who was main home care giver wore a mask when around me 

When I was at the clinic sitting in my chair getting chemo I wore a mask as did all the other patients, this was all a year before anybody had ever heard of covid.

So why wear masks why social distance from people especially kids, why did my wife and kids sanitize all the time and wear masks and give me space? Because they love me and didn't want pass anything to me and have me die.

Long before the antivaxxers and all these conspiracy theories people who didn't want to get sick wore masks, socially distanced, and washed their hands 400 times a day, it wasn't a political statement or quack science it was just proven precautions over decades of scientific data that shows those precautions decreased ones chances of contracting an infectious disease.

Same applies for covid, better safe than dead.

Archived