EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Bad Mayfield.    Dangerous dangerous throw.   7 points for KC here and you can turn out the lights.

It’s already over, to be honest. But a TD here means I’m letting my wife watch some Wheel of Fortune until the next game starts. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game over, no more interest in this boring ass game.

Hope Payton goes out like a pathetic loser in game #2.

All these kickers really trying to make jake Elliott feel better 

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think once it's accepted that the endzone is a different animal than the rest of the field, then I'm fine with it.

For one, I agree completely that I'm fine with something favoring the defense, but it also further emphasizes the need to protect the ball, especially near the endzone. 

The illegal hit knocked the ball loose though

Just now, ManuManu said:

It’s already over, to be honest. But a TD here means I’m letting my wife watch some Wheel of Fortune until the next game starts. 

Agreed, it likely is.  But, in a one possession game, one weird play can swing it, like the pick 6 last night.  But, a 3 possession game against KC is just... over.   

Wow.  Another doink!  NFL will start to make hitting the upright equal 1 or 2 points to increase scoring.  AND... its possible that a doink and OVER the crossbar could mean a 4 point play!   Come on, let's make up new rules to benefit the offense!

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Yes, I think most would agree a flag should have been thrown which would negate the touchback anyway. I was just generally speaking.

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Nah, this goes back to what I said about the endzone being a different animal. Just like if the QB commits intentional grounding near midfield, it's a 10 yard penalty and loss of down, but they maintain possession. In the endzone, it's 2 points the other way, and you give up possession. Same thing with holding at midfield, vs the endzone.

Yea I get it. Just don’t like that the offense can be loose with the ball near the sidelines, get a lucky bounce to go 12 inches or push the ball out and keep the yardage gained, first down, etc 

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

That's 100% separate from the issue.   So, that penalty negates the loss of possession.  But, remove that, and it absolutely 100% should be defensive ball.   

Browns score a TD on this drive, and its still a game.  Without that though.... its still lights out.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

That's 100% separate from the issue.   So, that penalty negates the loss of possession.  But, remove that, and it absolutely 100% should be defensive ball.   

Browns score a TD on this drive, and its still a game.  Without that though.... its still lights out.

I wasn't on the touchback call since it wouldn't have mattered if the flag was thrown

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea I get it. Just don’t like that the offense can be loose with the ball near the sidelines, get a lucky bounce to go 12 inches or push the ball out and keep the yardage gained, first down, etc 

That's fine... But, I think that the rule is fine.  No need to change the rule.  This is the way its been since the game started, why change it? 

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Bad Mayfield.    Dangerous dangerous throw.   7 points for KC here and you can turn out the lights.

He said the defensive END ZONE belongs to the defense.  The rest of the field belongs to the offense.   It's a fine rule.

I know, I was saying it’s my opinion it should apply everywhere, not just the end zone. Just my view of it

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I wasn't on the touchback call since it wouldn't have mattered if the flag was thrown

Which is why that targeting should be reviewable - earholing a guy with the crown of your helmet is going to cause fumbles.  

I feel like we have that end zone fumble topic every time we see that happen in a big game. 

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's fine... But, I think that the rule is fine.  No need to change the rule.  This is the way its been since the game started, why change it? 

I’m not advocating to change it , just how I would have made it from the beginning. My stance from the beginning is it was fine and it’s good the D gets a rule that benefits them. I’d just give them even more.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I feel like we have that end zone fumble topic every time we see that happen in a big game. 

It does.  

I’m guessing if the browns score here the analytics probably say to go for 2 

Would went for two in that situation. If you get it you are in a one score game down 8. If you don’t get still a 2 possession game and you can still tie it with a td and a field goal. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Not going for two was dumb. 

Some coaches don't play that game until the 4th quarter.  

Not challenging that play was dumber.

Well that’s definitely a game changer. Mahomes possibly out with a concussion. 

Archived