Eagles New HC Poll - search for new HC discussion here

Outlaw

Out of whose left, who do you want?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Current Poll: Out of whose left, who do you want?

• Daboll
    • Brady
    • Staley
    • Eberflus
    • Caldwell
    • McDaniels
    • Bienemy
    • Bowles
    • Lewis
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Daboll and Smith *seemingly* make the most sense given that they both work under Defensive HC's and have had very productive offenses.  I like Saleh, but he has the aura of a big "rah rah guy" that will have a strong first season but then gradually fade away after that.  Not saying that's what would happen, just that it's kinda the way he *seems*.  

Lincoln Riley is interesting, but it sounds like he's not leaving college.

Duce, I wouldn't mind, but besides the "feel good factor" about that, I'm not sure he would have sustained success or any success as a HC. But, obviously who knows...maybe he just needs a chance.

Jerod Mayo is very interesting to me...but his lack of coaching experience seems to make it seem like this would be way too big of a jump this soon.  

Joe Brady seems to have flew up the ranks in record time...has he really done enough to prove himself as HC material?

No thanks on Kafka and Moore.  Hard to get excited about older retread coaches like Caldwell or Lewis.

Maybe the Eagles will surprise us all with someone nobody is even considering. 

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

They request interviews for Kellen Moore whose offense has been straight trash? Wth is going on here?

Maybe Lurie heard he's a "leader of coaches."

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Odd how there are this many openings and not a single coach hired yet by any team.  Even if Meyer signs with Jacksonville I'm not even sure that will be the first domino to setoff other teams hiring guys since he isn't considering any other teams. 

They are probably getting interviews out of the way of who's available while waiting for candidates who are coaching in the playoffs.

They request interviews for Kellen Moore whose offense has been straight trash? Wth is going on here?

Gold Standards buddy, lol

1 hour ago, jblah said:

Or get as much information about what they are doing on offense.

Can’t you get that from actual game film?

Uhhh Cowboys have beeen one of the better offenses in the league...even this year when they lost Dak and their whole offensive line.....defense was the issue there.

2 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Uhhh Cowboys have beeen one of the better offenses in the league...even this year when they lost Dak and their whole offensive line.....defense was the issue there.

The stats are deceving. Cowboys offense litterally get most of thier yards and points in garbage time. What am I missing?

50 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

The stats are deceving. Cowboys offense litterally get most of thier yards and points in garbage time. What am I missing?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bit of a troll job on the Cowboys by our FO. I can't see us being legitimately interested in him. Our FO probably knows that he was considering going to Boise State and decided to stay.  So, probably just mind games. Also, it's just another candidate to the pool and we are apparently interviewing a lot of coaches.

Please tell me this Moore thing is some kind of sick joke. Maybe Lurie is playing a joke to make up for his car crash press conference the other day. 

Moore turns up... Lurie yells him out in the car park in front of everyone saying we would not ever seriously consider Cowboy scum in our organisation. 

Nice save Lurie. 

So far Lurie and Rosebud's list is: 
So who would be a Yes Man out of these? Figure that out, and there is your new coach.

Lincoln Riley- 
Joe Brady-
Brian Daboll- Sign him, damn it
Robert Saleh----> Jets 
Arthur Smith-   > Falcons
Todd Bowles-
Jered Mayo-
Duce Staley-
Kellen Moore-
Ryan Day-

36 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a bit of a troll job on the Cowboys by our FO. I can't see us being legitimately interested in him. Our FO probably knows that he was considering going to Boise State and decided to stay.  So, probably just mind games. Also, it's just another candidate to the pool and we are apparently interviewing a lot of coaches.

Despite the dysfunction and increasing reports of instability and inconsistency in this organization, I cannot buy that they would waste time and resources "troll job" or to play "mind games."

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Despite the dysfunction and increasing reports of instability and inconsistency in this organization, I cannot buy that they would waste time and resources "troll job" or to play "mind games."

They shouldn't. But, I think Howie would.  Also, it would still serve a purpose of getting information and giving Moore some experience. But, I don't believe that they feel he is nearly as strong as a candidate as some of the other guys they are interviewing.

6 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

So who would be a Yes Man out of these? Figure that out, and there is your new coach.

Lincoln Riley
Joe Brady
Brian Daboll
Robert Saleh
Arthur Smith
Todd Bowles
Jered Mayo
Duce Staley
Kellen Moore
Ryan Day

Arthur Smith
Todd Bowles
Jerod Mayo
Duce Staley
Kellen Moore
Mike Kafka

These are not your tier 1 candidates but here is your list. Duce probably being the best out the group IMO. Im sure the Eagles front office would love Mike Kafka but he is more of an introvert

10 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Lincoln Riley
Joe Brady
Brian Daboll
Robert Saleh
Arthur Smith
Todd Bowles
Jered Mayo
Duce Staley
Kellen Moore
Ryan Day

I don't think Lurie would hire a 31 year old coach, so I doubt they would go Brady.   But, you're right, they will look for a yes man who is not a threat to Howie's personnel control. Also, they will probably have to settle for less of a big name candidate due to this job being less desirable than some of the others. Either that, or they will have to pay a lot more money to lure a big name candidate.  I'm not sure they want to break the bank on a high profile candidate, although this organization will pay for a HC if they like the coach.

Can someone explain to me why everyone thinks that Duce Staley will be a good choice for Head Coach?  Are any other teams interested in interviewing him?  Don't get me wrong, I like Duce and I think the players love him, but it seems like there would be other teams sniffing around if he was actually a good choice or prospect.

3 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Can someone explain to me why everyone thinks that Duce Staley will be a good choice for Head Coach?  Are any other teams interested in interviewing him?  Don't get me wrong, I like Duce and I think the players love him, but it seems like there would be other teams sniffing around if he was actually a good choice or prospect.

I dont think people think he would be a good coach, but rather Lurie might wanna hire from within. Just speculation. 

51 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Arthur Smith
Todd Bowles
Jerod Mayo
Duce Staley
Kellen Moore
Mike Kafka

These are not your tier 1 candidates but here is your list. Duce probably being the best out the group IMO. Im sure the Eagles front office would love Mike Kafka but he is more of an introvert

And what exactly, with specific accomplishments and details, has Duce ever done to deserve to be a HC? Is one other team chasing after him? Nope. The Eagles aren't smarter than the rest of the league. There is a reason nobody else wants him. There is a reason Doug himself passed him over year after year to be the OC (including this year if he stayed). Fans hear Duce and suddenly want to make him HC based on what some of his friends have said. It's great people are loyal to him, I'm sure he's a great guy, but holy crap this Duce stuff needs to stop. 

46 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I dont think people think he would be a good coach, but rather Lurie might wanna hire from within. Just speculation. 

Duce is the guy they take if the situation here really is as bad as everyone says it is. If he gets hired that is the sign they are totally screwed and NovaCare is a freaking dump. Doug sucked last year, but Duce would be a sign the sky really is falling. 

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

And what exactly, with specific accomplishments and details, has Duce ever done to deserve to be a HC? Is one other team chasing after him? Nope. The Eagles aren't smarter than the rest of the league. There is a reason nobody else wants him. There is a reason Doug himself passed him over year after year to be the OC (including this year if he stayed). Fans hear Duce and suddenly want to make him HC based on what some of his friends have said. It's great people are loyal to him, I'm sure he's a great guy, but holy crap this Duce stuff needs to stop. 

The problem with hiring Duce is that it forces more pressure to land great OCs and DCs to compensate for Duce's lack of coordinator experience. And, the odds that we land two great coordinators isn't very good. Plus, can Duce lure a top flight coordinator to come to Philly? I don't know.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Joe Brady
Todd Bowles
Jered Mayo
Duce Staley
Kellen Moore

I'm thinking that's probably your yes man list. 

9 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

The problem with hiring Duce is that it forces more pressure to land great OCs and DCs to compensate for Duce's lack of coordinator experience. And, the odds that we land two great coordinators isn't very good. Plus, can Duce lure a top flight coordinator to come to Philly? I don't know.

I think someone had mentioned Doug not having great connections around the league. I would question Duce’s also. 

14 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

First, its funny you single out Duce on that list when there are other less qualified candidates on that list lol

Let me preface my comments by saying Duce is not Andy Reid.

Was everyone knocking down Andy Reid's door when he was at Green Bay other than the Eagles? Eagles fans and media criticized the Eagles for this hire.

This might not be the best example but Doug Pederson. No one wanted him and he won a superbowl with the right staff around him...

Conversely, Adam Gase coming out of Miami was a hot prospect as well. Look at him now.

My questions to you:

What is the roles and responsibilities of a head coach?

What where is Duce lacking in those roles?

Just because you don't want him as a HC and he is not a hot prospect doesnt mean he cant be a good HC. Stop the non-sense.

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think someone had mentioned Doug not having great connections around the league. I would question Duce’s also. 

That might be why there were rumors that Doug just wanted to reshuffle the coaches around, instead of bringing in fresh coaches. 

16 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Duce would be more likely than any of those other candidates to land great coordinators because he would be willing to give them the freedom of playcalling (which is harder to get in today's NFL with more HCs calling plays). What am I missing here?

Coordinator experience means nothing. There are a ton of great coordinators that were bad HCs. HCs is more than playcalling and coordinator experience.

4 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

First, its funny you single out Duce on that list when there are other less qualified candidates on that list lol

Let me preface my comments by saying Duce is not Andy Reid.

Was everyone knocking down Andy Reid's door when he was at Green Bay other than the Eagles? Eagles fans and media criticized the Eagles for this hire.

This might not be the best example but Doug Pederson. No one wanted him and he won a superbowl with the right staff around him...

Conversely, Adam Gase coming out of Miami was a hot prospect as well. Look at him now.

My questions to you:

What is the roles and responsibilities of a head coach?

What where is Duce lacking in those roles?

Just because you don't want him as a HC and he is not a hot prospect doesnt mean he cant be a good HC. Stop the non-sense.

Gase was a hot prospect coming from the bears not miami. Gase was already proven to be a disaster with Miami before going the Jets

Archived