Eagles New HC Poll - search for new HC discussion here

Outlaw

Out of whose left, who do you want?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Current Poll: Out of whose left, who do you want?

• Daboll
    • Brady
    • Staley
    • Eberflus
    • Caldwell
    • McDaniels
    • Bienemy
    • Bowles
    • Lewis
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, SBorBust said:

I’d say it’s better than Detroit. The more I think about it, though, that’s the only one.

I don't think so.  Detroit has a new GM, ready to move on from Stafford, stud young WR, low bar of expectations and overly forgiving ownership.  A potential clean slate, that's the key phrase and the #1 thing that makes a HC job desirable.

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Why isn't Pep Hamilton getting any buzz?  If F'ing Mike Kafka has been mentioned...and Jerod Mayo...why wouldn't Pep Hamilton be in the conversation?  Seems like he has just as good of a resume as the others, did I miss something on him?

He doesn't seem to stick anywhere longer then 2 years and he's only made it to being an offensive coordinator once and that was only 2 years. Must be something he's doing that he hasn't stuck around very long anywhere. And he was just in the xfl before this year. 

8 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

This board never stops entertaining me, Arthur Smith has a very low percentage in the poll above but now that Atlanta snags him Philly is going to get a nobody coach or settle for Duce. Relax people, there are still a lot good coaching candidates left including ones from teams still in the playoffs, the Eagles are fine.  

Agreed, if we got what we wanted before we would of had hue jackson or adam Gase who were both epic failures. 

let's imagine that you are interviewing for a position as a manager/team leader..and you have 2 suitors

first suitor:  says to you: "YOU get to build your mgt team...You get to implant your vision as you see fit, we'll try and give you what you need as best we can to help you succeed, for the most part we'll stay out of it unless absolutely necessary...we have financial resources available, and a crew of talented employees that are promising...and we have talent scouts that will bring in the right people for you

second suitor: The job is yours, the owner will insist that you have THESE guys on your staff..and we expect you to make it work...even if you don't like them, we reserve the right to make that decision for you. Any hires you make MUST be approved by us..if you put a guy in a position, and we don't agree..we'll overturn that decision...

Finances are a little tight right now , so we can't necessarily give you all the resources you'll need to succeed, but its still your job to deal with that. We don't have a lot of top notch employees here..a lot of our guys call in sick for most of the year..and many of the rest are close to retirement, or just aren't that effective anymore...we do have a few guys that we plucked from Walmart next door...see if you can get them up to speed...and a lot of the recent hires just aren't working out....

so which job does everyone take? 

3 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

let's imagine that you are interviewing for a position as a manager/team leader..and you have 2 suitors

first suitor:  says to you: "YOU get to build your mgt team...You get to implant your vision as you see fit, we'll try and give you what you need as best we can to help you succeed, for the most part we'll stay out of it unless absolutely necessary...we have financial resources available, and a crew of talented employees that are promising...and we have talent scouts that will bring in the right people for you

second suitor: The job is yours, the owner will insist that you have THESE guys on your staff..and we expect you to make it work...even if you don't like them, we reserve the right to make that decision for you. Any hires you make MUST be approved by us..if you put a guy in a position, and we don't agree..we'll overturn that decision...

Finances are a little tight right now , so we can't necessarily give you all the resources you'll need to succeed, but its still your job to deal with that. We don't have a lot of top notch employees here..a lot of our guys call in sick for most of the year..and many of the rest are close to retirement, or just aren't that effective anymore...we do have a few guys that we plucked from Walmart next door...see if you can get them up to speed...and a lot of the recent hires just aren't working out....

so which job does everyone take? 

The one that pays the most, but that's just me, lol

When you look around the NFL at the top echelon of HC's it's EXTREMELY telling to find out just how few of them were hired as 'hot shot" OC's.

A layman's list of the top 10 HC's right now:

Bellicheck :  DC

Andy reid:  retread HC/former Qb guru

Harbaugh:  ST's/Defensive focus

mcdermott :  DC

Caroll:  Defensive background

Tomlin: DC

Sean Payton:  

Vrabel:  DC

Frank Reich:  

La Fleur:  

Yeah sure if you want to sub McVay/Shanahan in there that's up to you, but that is still only 50% AT BEST with offense background.  So why is all the buzz ALWAYS around young offensive minds?

10 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

When you look around the NFL at the top echelon of HC's it's EXTREMELY telling to find out just how few of them were hired as 'hot shot" OC's.

A layman's list of the top 10 HC's right now:

Bellicheck :  DC

Andy reid:  retread HC/former Qb guru

Harbaugh:  ST's/Defensive focus

mcdermott :  DC

Caroll:  Defensive background

Tomlin: DC

Sean Payton:  

Vrabel:  DC

Frank Reich:  

La Fleur:  

Yeah sure if you want to sub McVay/Shanahan in there that's up to you, but that is still only 50% AT BEST with offense background.  So why is all the buzz ALWAYS around young offensive minds?

Mcvay, taking over a franchise that didnt have a winning season in over 10 years and then having 4 straight winning seasons with Goff at qb should put him up there. With that said, I get your point.

16 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

The one that pays the most, but that's just me, lol

If you make more for a few years but then are exiled from the league you'd lose out on millions.  

It appears that the Eagles are going to repeat the charade they went through when hiring Pederson.       Wait until every viable candidate is hired elsewhere and then hire the guy they were going to from the beginning - Duce.

What really viable, solid candidate who has options on places to go would even consider coming here and having the likes of Roseman and a meddling owner looking over their shoulder and interfering with assistants and roster decisions?          Exactly.

Duce will be the coach after an "exhaustive search" - book it.

Honestly its hard to say eagles waste a lot of time because we haven't had a lot of Coach turnover in past 20 years. My memory is just Andy Chip and Doug.

So when you consider them taking "to long" I don't recall chip taking long as they knew who they wanted and stayed focused on him it felt.

Doug really did feel like a hire because no one was left. Hey though got us a ring.

Now this search, none of the coaches outside Riley really get me "excited". I would also like to maybe see kellen moore because F dallas.

I do think we settle on Duce because the good coaches are going to go to the better teams. Not because eagles drag their feet but because this team is not an ideal place to coach right now.

22 minutes ago, Eagles_All_Day said:

Mcvay, taking over a franchise that didnt have a winning season in over 10 years and then having 4 straight winning seasons with Goff at qb should put him up there. With that said, I get your point.

True that but I also missed Brian Flores, another DC.

47 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He doesn't seem to stick anywhere longer then 2 years and he's only made it to being an offensive coordinator once and that was only 2 years. Must be something he's doing that he hasn't stuck around very long anywhere. And he was just in the xfl before this year. 

True, I did notice that too.  But, takeaway the XFL thing, everywhere else he's been there has been some success that it seems he's associated with.  I guess the big thing that we'll never know is the reputations of coaches within the league that get floated around within the inner circle of the NFL that we aren't privy to.

1 hour ago, Sturm said:

Honestly its hard to say eagles waste a lot of time because we haven't had a lot of Coach turnover in past 20 years. My memory is just Andy Chip and Doug.

So when you consider them taking "to long" I don't recall chip taking long as they knew who they wanted and stayed focused on him it felt.

Doug really did feel like a hire because no one was left. Hey though got us a ring.

Now this search, none of the coaches outside Riley really get me "excited". I would also like to maybe see kellen moore because F dallas.

I do think we settle on Duce because the good coaches are going to go to the better teams. Not because eagles drag their feet but because this team is not an ideal place to coach right now.

It's not an ideal place because it has gone from appearing as a good organization that empowers the coach (essentially handing Reid the keys for a decade plus and letting him run it into the dirt) to one that meddles in every area of football decisions.

The Kelly hire was an exception, and the one time that Lurie actually thought outside the box.        Unfortunately the combination of a coach in over his head and Lurie sabotaging him with the help of his pet snake Roseman, turned that into a disaster.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, but in many ways the Super Bowl win is the worst thing that could have happened with respect to the football organization.      In Lurie's mind, the insipid "emotional intelligence" garbage and "collaborative" decision making process resulted in a championship, when in reality it was the perfect storm of a lot of decent players having career years, cheap FA signings turning to gold, and otherworldly play from both QB's - a string of events unlikely to ever happen again.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Judging by the people they have been requesting it seems like they’re going with mostly younger candidates or candidates in their mind they can somewhat control. The fact they lost out to the Jets for Saleh says a lot. He would rather deal with Darnold or a rookie QB and Douglas than Wentz and Howie. 

Lost out....I must have missed the report that the Eagles offered him the job and he chose the Jets over him.

49 minutes ago, FlankingRight said:

Why are we always one of the last teams to bring in a HC?

Emotional intelligence.

56 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

It appears that the Eagles are going to repeat the charade they went through when hiring Pederson.       Wait until every viable candidate is hired elsewhere and then hire the guy they were going to from the beginning - Duce.

What really viable, solid candidate who has options on places to go would even consider coming here and having the likes of Roseman and a meddling owner looking over their shoulder and interfering with assistants and roster decisions?          Exactly.

Duce will be the coach after an "exhaustive search" - book it.

That will be quite underwhelming, but nothing would truly shock me from this organization anymore.  Duce deserves a shot as an offensive coordinator, I'm not sure I would feel good about him as a head coach with only experience as an RB coach...

How about Duce with....drum roll....Jeff Fisher at DC?:ph34r:

Apparently Fisher wants to resume coaching...probably as a HC, but who knows, he'd probably realistically have to come back as a coordinator first to prove he's still got it.  I actually wouldn't mind him as the DC.  Maybe he'd bring Buddy Ball back, lol

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Duce Staley with Wade Philips as DC

That's a good start if Duce is the choice. Who as OC?

1 minute ago, Next_Up said:

That's a good start if Duce is the choice. Who as OC?

I have no idea. I want Duce being a head coach only and focussing on being a leader so they would have to get someone strong for that spot. Maybe they try to get Graham Harrell again and the opportunity to call plays lures him away from USC.

16 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

How about Duce with....drum roll....Jeff Fisher at DC?:ph34r:

Apparently Fisher wants to resume coaching...probably as a HC, but who knows, he'd probably realistically have to come back as a coordinator first to prove he's still got it.  I actually wouldn't mind him as the DC.  Maybe he'd bring Buddy Ball back, lol

Once the Lincoln Riley stuff fizzled out quick Duce has been the guy I want. I want them to rethink their coaching staff structure all together. Let Duce be the head coach and put all of his focus into leadership and respect of the players which apparently he has in spades. Bring in some strong coordinators on both sides of the ball with at least one of them being an older ultra experienced coach. Duce, Phillips, and Harrell is something I can really get behind.

39 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

That will be quite underwhelming, but nothing would truly shock me from this organization anymore.  Duce deserves a shot as an offensive coordinator, I'm not sure I would feel good about him as a head coach with only experience as an RB coach...

He played the roll of assistance HC when Doug wasn't available so I wouldn't say he has NO experience even if it was limited. I would also rather see him as HC with an experienced play calling OC. Besides, would the next HC want him to be the OC? If Duce was to be promoted to OC that needs to be a decision made by the next HC.

14 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

He played the roll of assistance HC when Doug wasn't available so I wouldn't say he has NO experience even if it was limited. I would also rather see him as HC with an experienced play calling OC. Besides, would the next HC want him to be the OC? If Duce was to be promoted to OC that needs to be a decision made by the next HC.

I think Duce would make a better HC than OC.

Archived