Eagles New HC Poll - search for new HC discussion here

Outlaw

Out of whose left, who do you want?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Current Poll: Out of whose left, who do you want?

• Daboll
    • Brady
    • Staley
    • Eberflus
    • Caldwell
    • McDaniels
    • Bienemy
    • Bowles
    • Lewis
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They liked Doug too.

What does Duce bring to the table in play calling, designing plays, handling scheme, running an offense?  I'm not saying he can't, but all we ever hear about him is the players like him and he commands respect.

He was the Asst HC for the last couple years.  He was part of the offensive mess we saw.  Lurie fired Doug for wanting to hire from within...so Lurie will hire from within?  

What makes Duce a good candidate for either OC or HC?

Quite true on the "hire within” idea to name Duce HC contradicting Lurie’s desire for an outside voice.  I do think it could work with Duce as HC but as mentioned in other threads he’d have to bring in an experienced, creative offensive mind to not only serve as OC but be given full autonomy over that unit (i.e. Duce would not have final say).  

4 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

I really don't like the idea of Riley only because of not having NFL experience, it just seems to be another possible Chip Kelly situation,  but that's just me.

Don't let the past influence your prospective. An open mind and positive thinking brother.

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Quite true on the "hire within” idea to name Duce HC contradicting Lurie’s desire for an outside voice.  I do think it could work with Duce as HC but as mentioned in other threads he’d have to bring in an experienced, creative offensive mind to not only serve as OC but be given full autonomy over that unit (i.e. Duce would not have final say).  

And after observing the OC carousel the last few years, what decent OC would want the job?  

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And after observing the OC carousel the last few years, what decent OC would want the job?  

It's a different situation I would assume.  Doug saw himself as a play caller and wasn't willing to give that up to an OC that would come here.  That of course really limited the who would consider taking on such an OC job.  Duce while an offensive coach, for all we know he doesn't have this demand to be the play caller if hired.  He could very well take on a more Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh approach of just managing and coaching the team but letting his coordinators call the plays.  

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Maybe they'd be more willing now since it's a change in HC. Especially if they get to call plays and truly run the offense.

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Quite true on the "hire within” idea to name Duce HC contradicting Lurie’s desire for an outside voice.

Not really. If DP was willing to bring in outside voices or whatever it was they were wanting to hear, he may still be HC. So if Duce's vision as HC aligns with Lurie's and Roseman's how is that any different?

40 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They liked Doug too.

What does Duce bring to the table in play calling, designing plays, handling scheme, running an offense?  I'm not saying he can't, but all we ever hear about him is the players like him and he commands respect.

He was the Asst HC for the last couple years.  He was part of the offensive mess we saw.  Lurie fired Doug for wanting to hire from within...so Lurie will hire from within?  

What makes Duce a good candidate for either OC or HC?

Well, he was recently the Assistant Head Coach of a team that went 4-11-1 if you're impressed by that sort of thing...

Just now, Thing3 said:

Not really. If DP was willing to bring in outside voices or whatever it was they were wanting to hear, he may still be HC. So if Duce's vision as HC aligns with Lurie's and Roseman's how is that any different?

Duce may have been providing intel to the FO on Doug. All he has to do is commit to not promote Taylor and Burke and hire quality candidates and he has set himself apart from Doug.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well I’d guess it’d be different now with Doug gone.  Previously, top OC candidates likely didn’t have much interest in a position where they didn’t call the plays and didn’t have final say.  I would assume if Duce was named HC he wouldn’t want those duties.  If he did the process wouldn’t go any further than the initial interview.  

5 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I elaborated further in the post you quoted to state I think it would work with Duce as HC so long as he brought in an experienced, creative play caller from outside to run the offense.  So in that sense I do not disagree with you.  

Fair enough....I probably should have quoted the same post you did as I had intended before I saw yours.

25 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's a different situation I would assume.  Doug saw himself as a play caller and wasn't willing to give that up to an OC that would come here.  That of course really limited the who would consider taking on such an OC job.  Duce while an offensive coach, for all we know he doesn't have this demand to be the play caller if hired.  He could very well take on a more Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh approach of just managing and coaching the team but letting his coordinators call the plays.  

23 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Maybe they'd be more willing now since it's a change in HC. Especially if they get to call plays and truly run the offense.

19 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Well I’d guess it’d be different now with Doug gone.  Previously, top OC candidates likely didn’t have much interest in a position where they didn’t call the plays and didn’t have final say.  I would assume if Duce was named HC he wouldn’t want those duties.  If he did the process wouldn’t go any further than the initial interview.  

Right, Doug wanted to call plays so that was a deterrent.  Assuming the next HC would not call plays, still...

The OC will know they're the first scapegoat.  Groh, the consultants/committee, Doug...all fired.  It depends on who the HC is.  If it's Duce, who's to say it's not another "yes man" hire so Howie/Lurie can still not let the HC have full control?  The whole thing is dysfunctional.

If I'm an OC I want to go where I can be successful and likely on career path to a HC job.  Not a place where I'll be fired and blamed for the owner picking a crappy WR or telling the coaches who they can hire, the GM telling us who to dress on gameday or give snaps to the guy I gave a contract to instead of a younger player, etc.

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Right, Doug wanted to call plays so that was a deterrent.  Assuming the next HC would not call plays, still...

The OC will know they're the first scapegoat.  Groh, the consultants/committee, Doug...all fired.  It depends on who the HC is.  If it's Duce, who's to say it's not another "yes man" hire so Howie/Lurie can still not let the HC have full control?  The whole thing is dysfunctional.

If I'm an OC I want to go where I can be successful and likely on career path to a HC job.  Not a place where I'll be fired and blamed for the owner picking a crappy WR or telling the coaches who they can hire, the GM telling us who to dress on gameday or give snaps to the guy I gave a contract to instead of a younger player, etc.

The one thing I would say about that, is if the new OC truly does have autonomy and gets to call plays, then at the very least, it's a bit more transparent who the success or failure belongs to, and why. A decent OC can still use it as a possible valuable stepping stone to HC interviews in the future.

Whoever it is, I just hope they promote Press Taylor to OC. He has a good working relationship with Wentz and I think he is ready to make the next step.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

The one thing I would say about that, is if the new OC truly does have autonomy and gets to call plays, then at the very least, it's a bit more transparent who the success or failure belongs to, and why. A decent OC can still use it as a possible valuable stepping stone to HC interviews in the future.

Yeah.  I'm just unhappy with the dysfunction and having a hard time seeing things work right now.  

Just now, NOTW said:

Yeah.  I'm just unhappy with the dysfunction and having a hard time seeing things work right now.  

Oh I'm not confident either. I expect a total cluster F of a coaching search. Really wouldn't shock me if we are the last to name someone, and it won't be because of too many great candidates. It'll likely be because that's the scraps we had to pick from after every one else filled their jobs.

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Regardless of who they hire it is going to be a yes man hire.  That is why certain candidates turned them down last time until they went to Doug as their 3rd option.  It's probably the single biggest factor for Howie when he determines who they will ultimately hire.  If you are an OC looking for a job then chances are you currently do not have one so if the Eagles are offering one where they have a chance to call plays and play a senior role with a 1st year HC in Duce Staley then I think that provides them plenty of opportunity.  

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Oh I'm not confident either. I expect a total cluster F of a coaching search. Really wouldn't shock me if we are the last to name someone, and it won't be because of too many great candidates. It'll likely be because that's the scraps we had to pick from after every one else filled their jobs.

Unless they hire Riley, who they have relationship with and have been talking to him for several years to get his thoughts on the draft. 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Rueben Frank blocked me on Twitter. I’m assuming he means Duce? Like you said, the offense has been a mess. They haven’t developed many offensive talents. Don’t see a reason to hire Duce other than "everyone likes him”.

1 minute ago, Gannan said:

Rueben Frank blocked me on Twitter. I’m assuming he means Duce? Like you said, the offense has been a mess. They haven’t developed many offensive talents. Don’t see a reason to hire Duce other than "everyone likes him”.

Right, he means Duce.  A bunch of former players (and current) saying Duce should get the job.

They fired the HC but are going to promote the Asst HC...seems legit.

2 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Leadership qualities.  Lurie said he is looking for a "leader of coaches".  He's won a Super Bowl as a player and a HC.  Been a NFL coach in various roles over 10 years under 3 different HC regimes.  Also played under another great HC in Cower. 

5 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I elaborated further in the post you quoted to state I think it would work with Duce as HC so long as he brought in an experienced, creative play caller from outside to run the offense.  So in that sense I do not disagree with you.  

Archived