Eagles trade pick #6 and #156 to Miami for pick #12, #123, and a 2022 1st

Jenkins27

Why is it supposed to be some news worthy big deal that the Eagles front office is ''unsure'' about Jalen Hurts. They should be unsure, so should the fans. He's started exactly four NFL games in his career. It doesn't mean he will be a failure or a success and every indication is that he will get a chance to prove himself one way or the other during a rebuilding 2021 season. When did the media become TZM level gossip slingers as opposed to legitimate journalists/reporters, and why do the fans buy into this crap so easily.

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Why is it supposed to be some news worthy big deal that the Eagles front office is ''unsure'' about Jalen Hurts. They should be unsure, so should the fans. He's started exactly four NFL games in his career. It doesn't mean he will be a failure or a success and every indication is that he will get a chance to prove himself one way or the other during a rebuilding 2021 season. When did the media become TZM level gossip slingers as opposed to legitimate journalists/reporters, and why do the fans buy into this crap so easily.

You're right. 

But you know how the media is. Last month there was a "report" that Lurie told the organization to not add any QB competition and build around Hurts. 

The interest/excitement in the team is obviously down.  Not so long ago this would have been 100+ pages by now.

28 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

A year ago they were so "sure" about him that they drafted him in the 2nd round. Ultimately benched Wentz for him and trade Wentz out for him. So yes......its a little late in the game now to be unsure of him. Its terrible player evaluation. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

History. Howie likes the extra picks but he likes using them in trades.

The team is guaranteed to package a few picks to trade up. 

There is no way they draft 11 players as they aren't even going to keep that many rookies. Might as well package a couple picks to move up in the mid-late rounds.  

2 hours ago, kentwo said:

My issue with Waddle is he is similar to Reagor. 

Both are Z receivers. Waddle has the better ceiling, hands, and has performed at a high level in the SEC, but are you spending back to back first round picks on similar WRs? 

Chase would've been different and even Smith's route running and tree separates him from Waddle/Reagor. 

Reagor has to prove he can actually deliver before I consider the "fit" with another receiver. I think Waddle has a ton of talent. Tremendous speed, and a great round runner. I'm totally fine with the trade back if the Eagles can still walk away with Waddle or Smith.

53 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

A year ago they were so "sure" about him that they drafted him in the 2nd round. Ultimately benched Wentz for him and trade Wentz out for him. So yes......its a little late in the game now to be unsure of him. Its terrible player evaluation. 

Have you read any reports, listened to any podcasts, etc etc. They were sure about him being a good cheap backup to Wentz and potentially being someone they could flip down the road if he played well in pre-season and with some starts here and there if and when Wentz got hurt. They NEVER drafted him in the 2nd round with the idea that he was a sure fire franchise QB. They also didn't bench of trade Wentz because of Hurts. They benched Wentz because they were desperate to try to make the playoffs and Wentz was the worst QB in the league at the time, and they traded him because he wanted out. NEXT......

17 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Have you read any reports, listened to any podcasts, etc etc. They were sure about him being a good cheap backup to Wentz and potentially being someone they could flip down the road if he played well in pre-season and with some starts here and there if and when Wentz got hurt. They NEVER drafted him in the 2nd round with the idea that he was a sure fire franchise QB. They also didn't bench of trade Wentz because of Hurts. They benched Wentz because they were desperate to try to make the playoffs and Wentz was the worst QB in the league at the time, and they traded him because he wanted out. NEXT......

This is my thought on Hurts. Others are sooo certain he was drafted to replace Wentz - in April 2020 before Wentz' stinker of a season. I guess we'll all see what they have in Hurts. Of course if Hurts plays pretty well and the other 10 on offense don't it'll still be Hurts fault -- won't it?:unsure:

20 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I agree with you, but their overthinking this issue had direct implications to the fallout with Wentz. Everything started the moment they decided to take a backup quarterback in the second round for a team that lacks talent. It’s just more Howie thinking he’s playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. Even Howie admitted Wentz was not pleased with the drafting of Hurts. So even if the Eagles didn’t realize it they created their own quarterback controversy and if they rush to bring another guy in here they will only do the same thing. When they made the Hirts selection everyone but the Eagles saw that it could blow up in their faces. The fact they’re uncertain about Hurts makes even less sense as to why they drafted him, because if Wentz went down they clearly do not believe he could take over and lead them like Foles did. Somehow through these types a bungles and missteps Howie survives. Just to try and put this into some perspective. Howie could have given Wentz DK, Jefferson, possibly Lamb, or possibly, Jamar Chase. Instead he gave him JJAW, his eventual competition/replacement, Reager, and who knows what he will pick this year. That’s to assume he doesn’t flip all these assets to acquire another quarterback. 

22 hours ago, Procus said:

Did he play 75% in 2018?  No. 

2020?  No. 

Barely reached 75% in 2017. 

Means three out of his five years in the league, he missed significant playing time.

All he needs to play is 12 games. 2018 was the only season he hasn’t played at least 12 games. 

20 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

All he needs to play is 12 games. 2018 was the only season he hasn’t played at least 12 games. 

13 games actually.  They’re going to 17 game schedule.  

This trade opens up the option of drafting the best QB in 2022 if Hurts proves not to be the guy. Plus, most of the guys we’ve been talking about should still be on the board. A+ for Howie.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

And even more than finding a back-up to Wentz, I think Hurts was drafted because the FO saw what NO had with Hill as a gadget player they can insert into certain plays (certainly not a good idea for drafting him!)

37 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

The benchmarks have nothing to do with games played - they are measured by number of snaps:  75% total, or 70% and a playoff appearance

2 hours ago, kentwo said:

The team is guaranteed to package a few picks to trade up. 

There is no way they draft 11 players as they aren't even going to keep that many rookies. Might as well package a couple picks to move up in the mid-late rounds.  

I was referring to the 3 first round picks next year.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, PhillyMG said:

And even more than finding a back-up to Wentz, I think Hurts was drafted because the FO saw what NO had with Hill as a gadget player they can insert into certain plays (certainly not a good idea for drafting him!)

Eagles spending a second round pick to do what the Saints were doing with a guy they found off the scrap heap further shows how lost the front office is. 

35 minutes ago, PhillyMG said:

There is no thinking about it. That is what they drafted him for, at least that's what they tell us

11 hours ago, kentwo said:

My issue with Waddle is he is similar to Reagor. 

Both are Z receivers. Waddle has the better ceiling, hands, and has performed at a high level in the SEC, but are you spending back to back first round picks on similar WRs? 

Chase would've been different and even Smith's route running and tree separates him from Waddle/Reagor. 

My Money is on the CB, DE, or OT before WR in the first. But Waddle is a special player who can stretch the defense. I would love to see him in the Eagles uniform. If he is there at 12...I would seriously consider selecting him...I would not move up to get him...because there will be some solid picks there at positions of need. 

59 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

My Money is on the CB, DE, or OT before WR in the first. But Waddle is a special player who can stretch the defense. I would love to see him in the Eagles uniform. If he is there at 12...I would seriously consider selecting him...I would not move up to get him...because there will be some solid picks there at positions of need. 

I get his talent, just not sure about the fit. If they did draft him, where would the WRs play? Reagor in the slot. Waddle at Z. X? They don't have anyone that can beat press and create separation for that spot. I think he's a playmaker, but what role would he play? Are they willing to invest back to back 1st round picks on the same role? Or would they just admit that they screwed up the Reagor pick and get someone better than him? 

That all leads me to thinking it is going to be CB for sure. There are only two high end OTs and at six they would've had a chance to get one of them, at 12? Both could be gone. DE class is a little weak compared to other years. 12 seems a bit high for them, but maybe they are really high on one of those guys. Doesn't seem to be much value at LB other than Parsons so again if they wanted him then six was their spot. So unless they are really feeling lucky and decided to gamble for the extra picks that an OT or LB will be there, CB seems to be the only position that fits a need and should have one or two of the best players at their position available at 12. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down again and then take a DE or whichever CB is left over. Maybe a team really wants Waddle or Mac Jones and decides to move up to 12. That wouldn't produce the homerun player that fans might want, but it would bring some value back to the team. I also expect them to package a few of their later round picks to move back into the 2nd or 3rd rounds to get someone else. 

4 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I'll be pretty pissed if we go WR at 12 when we could have had a pretty much sure fire generational type talent at the position with the 6th pick UNLESS one of either Chase or Pitts happens to fall into our laps (if that happens then I'll look at the move as brilliant).  Right now I'm teetering between liking it (because of the extra 1st next year) and not liking it (because I really would have liked Chase or Pitts).  Although I do recognize the fact that receivers are rarely cornerstone pieces that makes a team a title contender.  This is a tough one for me to really get behind either way.  

4 hours ago, kentwo said:

That all leads me to thinking it is going to be CB for sure. There are only two high end OTs and at six they would've had a chance to get one of them, at 12? Both could be gone. DE class is a little weak compared to other years. 12 seems a bit high for them, but maybe they are really high on one of those guys. Doesn't seem to be much value at LB other than Parsons so again if they wanted him then six was their spot. So unless they are really feeling lucky and decided to gamble for the extra picks that an OT or LB will be there, CB seems to be the only position that fits a need and should have one or two of the best players at their position available at 12.

I could see Kwity Paye at 12, he needs work but I could see him going that high, Let's be honest him, Rousseau and Oweh for that matter are exactly the sort of raw athletic freak D Line projects that Howie LOVES to draft. I could see Paye at 12 athletically he's incredible and technically he's decent, I wouldn't want to see Rousseau, Oweh or Jaelan Phillips before round 2. 

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'll be pretty pissed if we go WR at 12 when we could have had a pretty much sure fire generational type talent at the position with the 6th pick UNLESS one of either Chase or Pitts happens to fall into our laps (if that happens then I'll look at the move as brilliant).  Right now I'm teetering between liking it (because of the extra 1st next year) and not liking it (because I really would have liked Chase or Pitts).  Although I do recognize the fact that receivers are rarely cornerstone pieces that makes a team a title contender.  This is a tough one for me to really get behind either way.  

Meh everyone thought the receivers last year were going to go really early and Lamb was a generational talent and ended up being the 3rd pick taken at #17! The point is no one on here or anywhere knows jack sheet where these guys will get drafted. 

22 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No way either Chase or Pitts is a "generational" talent. That is just pre-draft spin. Both actually have some real question marks.

If we actually get a WR like Smith or Waddle we hit the jackpot. I prefer both over your "generational" talents any day.

3 hours ago, kentwo said:

I get his talent, just not sure about the fit. If they did draft him, where would the WRs play? Reagor in the slot. Waddle at Z. X? They don't have anyone that can beat press and create separation for that spot. I think he's a playmaker, but what role would he play? Are they willing to invest back to back 1st round picks on the same role? Or would they just admit that they screwed up the Reagor pick and get someone better than him? 

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down again and then take a DE or whichever CB is left over. Maybe a team really wants Waddle or Mac Jones and decides to move up to 12. That wouldn't produce the homerun player that fans might want, but it would bring some value back to the team. I also expect them to package a few of their later round picks to move back into the 2nd or 3rd rounds to get someone else. 

4 Qbs are going in the top 10. Pitts, Sewell, Chase are also going in the top 10. = 7 players are out of reach.

If staying put at 12 that possibly leaves:  (Not necessary in order) Slater OT, Surtain CB, Jones QB, Horn CB, Smith WR, Waddle WR, Farley CB, Paye DE,

Once the draft reaches 9 ..that is when we will be looking for who is still available and within reach. We could utilize some late round picks to move up, or pick up up more resources if moving down. 

If trading down a few more spots..: I like Newsome CB, Bateman WR, Harris RB.

The only player listed who would be doubtfu is Jones QB, because it is the year of Hurts. All other prospects are talented in their own way.

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I initially liked it because, let's face it, we need as many premium picks as we can get on this team, but I hate the idea of missing out on Pitts, Chase, and I'd throw Smith in there, too. Hopefully one will fall to 12.

Archived