Eagles trade pick #6 and #156 to Miami for pick #12, #123, and a 2022 1st

Jenkins27

44 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'll be pretty pissed if we go WR at 12 when we could have had a pretty much sure fire generational type talent at the position with the 6th pick UNLESS one of either Chase or Pitts happens to fall into our laps (if that happens then I'll look at the move as brilliant).  Right now I'm teetering between liking it (because of the extra 1st next year) and not liking it (because I really would have liked Chase or Pitts).  Although I do recognize the fact that receivers are rarely cornerstone pieces that makes a team a title contender.  This is a tough one for me to really get behind either way.  

Your sure fire generational talent does not come with money back draft guarantee. If you look around NFL..someone is arrested or does something shady.. or a lot of injuries with very random timing. The point is there are no "sure fire" guarantees. As talented and freakish as someone is..it is hard to add "sure fire" to their name. I honestly can not tell you that I know who the best player in this draft will be... so I am OK with getting someone at 12. instead of reaching for someone.

21 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

It is amazing how much better everyone will perform, when you have Kelce, and healthy bodies on OL. We can actually have a ground game and sustain it..instead of Pass..run..Pass..and out. We don't need a QB to run for his life, but merely manage the game..when everyone also performs. I expect resurrection of Travis Fulgham, I expect our RBs have much better stats, Goedert can finally duplicate what Ertz did, overall a lot of good things to look for. Same goes for Defense. Once weak positions like second CB, second LB, and DE are addressed...Cover 2 will work just fine. They will not be elite on defense in 2021..but they will be better.

that's the thing, fans always think that we were so good because we need to draft stud receivers, corners, linebackers in the first round, we never did that and we always won games that way because everything was focused on the qb, oline and dline, after that they focused on position players. most of time teams take position players in the first round which is why the oline and dline were always valued by us in the later rounds.

17 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

4 Qbs are going in the top 10. Pitts, Sewell, Chase are also going in the top 10. = 7 players are out of reach.

If staying put at 12 that possibly leaves:  (Not necessary in order) Slater OT, Surtain CB, Jones QB, Horn CB, Smith WR, Waddle WR, Farley CB, Paye DE,

Once the draft reaches 9 ..that is when we will be looking for who is still available and within reach. We could utilize some late round picks to move up, or pick up up more resources if moving down. 

If trading down a few more spots..: I like Newsome CB, Bateman WR, Harris RB.

The only player listed who would be doubtfu is Jones QB, because it is the year of Hurts. All other prospects are talented in their own way.

If by 4 QBs you mean Lance I don't know how he goes top 10. He has the same weaknesses coming out that Wentz had and the scouts say he isn't even anywhere as ready as Wentz was coming out either and Wentz was considered not ready. Lance threw 318 career passes in college I don't see how any team would have seen enough from that little amount of work to go in the top 10. 

From MMQB about the inner workings of this trade

The Dolphins, though, were looking for a way to stay closer to where they were originally picking, which led to this becoming what was essentially a three-team trade. And Miami needed a partner that would keep the talks in confidence. So Grier called the Eagles, who owned the sixth pick, a little more than two weeks ago to ask if they would be interested in moving back to 12 if the deal with the 49ers went through. Philly said yes, and the Dolphins told the Eagles they’d circle back. Then Grier and Eagles GM Howie Roseman chipped away at the parameters of a second-order trade.

The Eagles worked exclusively with the Dolphins, and Roseman had to keep the trade under wraps in the two-plus weeks in between to allow for the bang-bang nature of how it eventually would go down. And with the Eagles believing there is a pretty good chance the Bengals will take LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase at five (we mentioned in our mock this week that that Joe Burrow has given Cincinnati’s brass a glowing recommendation), Philly felt comfortable with the difference in talent between six and 12—and also operated with the knowledge that it’d be hard to get a future first (this being Miami’s slotted No. 1 in 2022) in exchange for moving down closer to the draft, particularly if it looked like the top four picks would be QBs.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh everyone thought the receivers last year were going to go really early and Lamb was a generational talent and ended up being the 3rd pick taken at #17! The point is no one on here or anywhere knows jack sheet where these guys will get drafted. 

I definitely agree with that, I’ve even stated earlier that I think there is somewhat of a chance 3 of the top 4 receivers are still available when pick 12 comes up.  The point I was trying to make is, should both Chase and Pitts be gone and Howie goes WR anyway it’ll annoy the hell out of me.

2 hours ago, Infam said:

No way either Chase or Pitts is a "generational" talent. That is just pre-draft spin. Both actually have some real question marks.

If we actually get a WR like Smith or Waddle we hit the jackpot. I prefer both over your "generational" talents any day.

How can you say "no way”?

I suppose my use of "sure fire” is equally a stretch.  

On 3/28/2021 at 1:21 AM, Random Reglar said:

Running QB is a QB who runs and the way you measure that is rushing yards.

Russell Wilson ran for 849 yards one year.  That's one of the highest totals for a QB ever.  Vicks record was 1000+, Lamar is at 1200+.   Wilson's up there.  Rushing yards = running QB.

Your naming qbs that are a weapon when they run, and yeah, Wilson can go when he needs to, but he doesn’t just go like Lamar, Vick, newton, hurtz...those guys pride themselves on being a running weapon...Wilson is not that, he gets outta the pocket, but only runs if he has to...that’s the difference...

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If by 4 QBs you mean Lance I don't know how he goes top 10. He has the same weaknesses coming out that Wentz had and the scouts say he isn't even anywhere as ready as Wentz was coming out either and Wentz was considered not ready. Lance threw 318 career passes in college I don't see how any team would have seen enough from that little amount of work to go in the top 10. 

He's probably going to go top 5 when all is said and done.  And I agree with everything you said. 

I am becoming more and more convinced that Merrill is going to have to talk about Jalen throwing to Jalen or Jaylen on Sundays in 2021.

Talk in the media about eagles back in the Russ Wilson trade discussions.  Howie might sell the house to get Russ.  Shame he won’t have a line or a wr to throw to.  

1 minute ago, DBW said:

Talk in the media about eagles back in the Russ Wilson trade discussions.  Howie might sell the house to get Russ.  Shame he won’t have a line or a wr to throw to.  

Trading for Wilson or Watson this year would be an absolute travesty to the future of this team.

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Trading for Wilson or Watson this year would be an absolute travesty to the future of this team.

Getting a QB as talented as Wilson would never be a travesty. Watson is done.

Just now, Devaster said:

Getting a QB as talented as Wilson would never be a travesty. Watson is done.

Wilson alone doesn't put you over the top and this team is in rebuild mode until 2023.  Losing the capital they have built in the 2021 and 2022 drafts for a 33 year old QB is a dumb decision for a franchise in the spot they're in.

Just now, Outlaw said:

Wilson alone doesn't put you over the top and this team is in rebuild mode until 2023.  Losing the capital they have built in the 2021 and 2022 drafts for a 33 year old QB is a dumb decision for a franchise in the spot they're in.

Not when QB’s are protected and can ply into their 40’s. Wilson has also done a lot without much offensive talent around him. That wouldn’t change much. And I don’t think the Eagles have a lot of foundational pieces right now, nor do I trust Howie to draft them.

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Yeah 33 years old now and 37 by the time we would be a contender.  It’s moronic for people to even consider this.  But....media does what media does.  

15 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Not when QB’s are protected and can ply into their 40’s. Wilson has also done a lot without much offensive talent around him. That wouldn’t change much. And I don’t think the Eagles have a lot of foundational pieces right now, nor do I trust Howie to draft them.

#letrusscook failed.  I want to build the future of this team, and besides, we can't afford his contract.  An Oregon guy wanting us to mortgage the future for Russ, I'm not surprised. :lol:  He'll be 36-37 before we even sniff a SB.

41 minutes ago, DBW said:

And that's part of the reason he was considering leaving Seattle because their OL was subpar for a while now. Then, he would come here to undeveloped players and an OL that is trying to get back to what it once was. I don't see why he would want to come here after we would give up so many picks to get him.   I hope Howie has more common sense than that, but it might be asking too much.  Just rebuild/retool this team the right way and get younger and draft soundly instead of impulsively.

43 minutes ago, DBW said:

Yeah 33 years old now and 37 by the time we would be a contender.  It’s moronic for people to even consider this.  But....media does what media does.  

I haven't seen any media reports on Wilson coming here - just TATE armchair GM stuff.  Link?

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Yup. Wilson is good, but he alone won’t get it done. Even in 2012, he needed the best defense in football to get it done. We don’t have near the caliber of that defense and the LOB. Someone needs to tell Howie to buy a Russell Wilson jersey and be happy with that. 

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yup. Wilson is good, but he alone won’t get it done. Even in 2012, he needed the best defense in football to get it done. We don’t have near the caliber of that defense and the LOB. Someone needs to tell Howie to buy a Russell Wilson jersey and be happy with that. 

And an elite running game. We have neither

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And an elite running game. We have neither

True. 

44 minutes ago, DBW said:

Please no.

Look I really rate Wilson but we are a bad bad team. Is Wilson going to turn that around? He would make us better no doubt but he's not making us a contender. 

Wilson is great, but this isn't like Brady joining the Bucs last year. Our team has holes everywhere, including the OL.

If we're lucky, Jalen Hurts develops into a similar player to Wilson while on his rookie deal and we can bolster the OL, the defense, etc... in the meantime and try to win that way.

Archived