**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

Im gonna post a bunch of snippets from the forbes article that was posted after the 6ers traded for Melton, and from the RTRS article listing FA options. They were really good and Im not sure everyone read them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2022/06/24/what-the-deanthony-melton-trade-means-for-the-sixers-free-agency-plans/?sh=412314d73bfe

If Harden does pick up his option, the Sixers will have roughly $151.7 million in salary committed to 13 players. Assuming the salary cap and luxury-tax thresholds come in at $122 million and $149 million as projected, the Sixers will have less than $4 million in wiggle room before they bump into the $155.7 million luxury-tax apron.

Teams cannot use the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (projected to be $10.3 million next season), the bi-annual exception ($4.1 million) or acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if any of those moves would take them over the apron. Teams that are over the apron can only use the taxpayer mid-level exception ($6.4 million) and the veteran-minimum exception ($1.8 million).

To gain access to the non-taxpayer MLE and round out their roster with a minimum deal, the Sixers would have to shed roughly $8.2 million in salary without taking any money back. Even if they salary-dumped all three of Furkan Korkmaz ($5 million), Matisse Thybulle ($4.4 million) and Georges Niang ($3.5 million), they'd have to replace that trio with minimum signings, which would leave them roughly $770,000 above the apron.

According to a source familiar with the Sixers' approach, they are not looking to salary-dump Thybulle just to gain access to the non-taxpayer MLE.

The Sixers could carve out more room under the apron by convincing Harden to opt out and re-sign for less than his maximum salary or by trading Tobias Harris for a slightly smaller contract. (Charlotte Hornets forward Gordon Hayward, perhaps?) But as of now, it appears far more likely that they'll be limited to the taxpayer MLE once free agency opens at 6 p.m. on June 30.

https://www.rightstorickysanchez.com/normal-column/062322

One more FAQ before we get to the good stuff: exceptions. There are two types: free agency exceptions and trade exceptions. The Sixers will have access to both this summer. The Sixers have an outside chance of being able to use the non-taxpayer mid-level exception projected to be worth just over $10M. It is more likely, however, that they use the taxpayer mid-level exception, which is worth just over $6M. They are allowed to spend the entirety of their MLE on one higher-profile free agent player, or split it up amongst multiple people. 

And, finally, traded player exceptions. TPEs are very similar to the salary cap exceptions I just described. A TPE gives a team a certain amount of money which they can absorb via trade. However, if they use a TPE, they cannot send out any salary in return -- only draft picks or draft rights to international players. TPE’s cannot be combined with one another, but can be used multiple times (they shrink each time they are used). The Sixers only have one trade exception this season, worth just $1.6M from the Harden-Ben Simmons trade. It very likely will not be used.

here is how much salary we can take back- not in order to get the full MLE just in general if trading these guys for another rotation player. 

Here is the maximum amount of money the Sixers can eat in trades for Korkmaz and Thybulle on their own, as well as combined. The Sixers could also in theory add one of their inexpensive players -- Reed, Bassey or Joe, for example -- and increase their bandwidth.

Korkmaz + Thybulle: $11.8M

Korkmaz: $6.3M

Thybulle: $5.5M

Mentions guys on the high end of that (Eric Gordon, Brogdon, Hield, Bogdan Bogdanovic)

And then guys more likely in the range for Morey to strike- 

The next price range is where Morey and co. are more likely to strike, and there are some sensible guard and wing targets in that range. My personal favorite is likely Kentavious Caldwell-Pope of the retooling Washington Wizards, your quintessential 3&D wing who is rock solid. It’s unclear what the Portland Trail Blazers’ plan is with Josh Hart, but the former Villanova star would also give the Sixers some value on both ends of the floor. An option I’m less excited about but view as realistic is Terrence Ross, who the Orlando Magic have been shopping for what feels like a decade. With the Charlotte Hornets possibly looking to dump salary, Kelly Oubre Jr. could be a nice fit here. With their deep rotation, would the New Orleans Pelicans give up Devonte’ Graham? Graham would give the Sixers a welcomed injection of offensive talent, even if he is unreliable defensively. The New York Knicks reportedly want to shed salary as well -- a triumphant return for Alec Burks could be in the cards if the Sixers can stomach the fact that it may take him months to actually arrive in Philadelphia. Cedi Osman of the Cleveland Cavaliers is a sneaky name I like here; his confidence as a three-point shooter and competence defensively make him at least an okay option.

More potential trade options:

The Sixers are back to not having a clear answer at backup center, and this trade market does feature some players who could help remedy that issue. My favorite option is Kelly Olynyk of the Detroit Pistons, whose shooting and playmaking make him an ideal fit not just as Embiid’s backup, but as someone who can play the four alongside Embiid in two-big lineups. Let’s go on a quick run of former Sixers here: back to New York, our old friend Nerlens Noel could also be a victim of cost-cutting. The Sixers have reportedly had interest in Noel since Morey took over, so this wouldn’t be a total shock. What may be a shock despite being at least equally funny is if the Phoenix Suns make Dario Saric available. Saric has become a full-time center in Phoenix, and we already know he and Embiid can thrive together as well. Richaun Holmes is in a precarious spot with the Sacramento Kings now that Domantas Sabonis is on the roster. Mike Muscala has been a very solid player over the last few years for the Oklahoma City Thunder -- and don’t forget he is the author of what may be one of the more important shots of the last few years for the Sixers, his infamous game-winner in the bubble that ensured the Sixers would receive the first-round pick that became Maxey. Tony Bradley had a tough year with the Chicago Bulls, but did flash potential with the Sixers during his brief stint here. Unfortunately, we also have to cover some of the options who haven’t already played here -- my favorite of those is Larry Nance Jr. of the Pelicans, who very well may be unavailable, but is worth making a call about to be sure. I’m not sure whether to call Jeff Green of the Denver Nuggets a wing or a big at this point, but I suppose that’s part of his appeal. Ditto for OKC’s Kenrich Williams, a longtime favorite of mine. 

Another interesting player without a clear-cut position is Kenyon Martin Jr., though my guess is that he will be more valuable to rebuilding teams than to the Sixers. Houston also has two interesting wings in Jae’Sean Tate and David Nwaba, who are very different players but share defensive value and the ability to guard up. Phoenix’s plan for this summer is unclear, but Cameron Payne is coming off a down year and could conceivably be available, especially if they bring back Deandre Ayton and become a luxury tax team. Another cost-cutting option for Phoenix is Torrey Craig, who is nothing special but would at least give the Sixers some security as a wing defender who can take on tough assignments. 

A few more names before we get to free agents: guard Cory Joseph had a decent season for the Pistons last year, and could be of service here, as could Justin Holiday of the Kings and New Orleans’ Garrett Temple as competent two-way wings

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

turning tobi & tisse into hayward, pj washington, & tucker would be pretty sweet, imo. that's some nice depth on the wings. 

That looks like a solid way to make the team worse. 

5 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

That looks like a solid way to make the team worse. 

Hayward is better offensively than Harris. 

PJ Washington is a perfect stretch 4 to play with Embiid.

Youd have Maxey, Harden, Hayward, Washington and Embiid

Melton and Tucker improving your bench before you even get to your vet min signings

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Melton and Tucker improving your bench before you even get to your vet min signings

Hayward is a good player on a bad team. On a good team he’s a role player now. The only benefit is he’s a better shooter but he’s only that. Add in he’s played less than 50 games the last two years and 52 the year before and I’ll pass. I don’t even like Harris but I’d take him over Hayward. 

Washington is nice cause he’s young but he’s basically Tobias, as a stretch four, and worse at everything else. 

Lose defense and scoring to gain a shooter who will make less shots, a young Washington, and some old ass PJ Tucker. 

6 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Hayward is a good player on a bad team. On a good team he’s a role player now. The only benefit is he’s a better shooter but he’s only that. Add in he’s played less than 50 games the last two years and 52 the year before and I’ll pass. I don’t even like Harris but I’d take him over Hayward. 

Washington is nice cause he’s young but he’s basically Tobias, as a stretch four, and worse at everything else. 

Lose defense and scoring to gain a shooter who will make less shots, a young Washington, and some old ass PJ Tucker. 

Harris to Hayward is almost a wash.

Thybulle to PJ Washington, big upgrade.

But now,  everyone plays their natural position. And spacing is improved.

Better fits makes the team better. 

And you're not including the hidden value of the deal which is unlocking that full MLE to add to the team as well.

Also, if it ends up just Harris/Hayward, we would end up with a trade exception for the difference in salary, so another player you can add. For example, reddish is being shopped for salary dump. You might fit him in that trade exception. 

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Harris to Hayward is almost a wash.

Thybulle to PJ Washington, big upgrade.

But now,  everyone plays their natural position. And spacing is improved.

Better fits makes the team better. 

And you're not including the hidden value of the deal which is unlocking that full MLE to add to the team as well.

I’d take Harris over Hayward all day. 

Washington over Thybulle sure. 

If I’m clearing room to sign someone it’s not gonna PJ Tucker. And with Hayward you’re gonna need someone who can start 30+ games a year. 

• Like 1

Why would Charlotte want Harris if they are trying to re-sign Miles Bridges, who plays the same position and is much younger and has a higher upside, to a max contract?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Hayward is never healthy and you can't trust him to play heavy regular season minutes. 

37 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Why would Charlotte want Harris if they are trying to re-sign Miles Bridges, who plays the same position and is much younger and has a higher upside, to a max contract?

Trade I posted had Vuc to Charlotte on an expiring, Harris to Bulls, and Hayward here.

harris for hayward by itself doesn't help the sixers, imo...but when you add in mattise & the PJ's, it could work. 

12 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

harris for hayward by itself doesn't help the sixers, imo...but when you add in mattise & the PJ's, it could work. 

I agree with that.  You'd have no 4, and being able to sign Tucker doesn't exactly satiate that need. 

I just dont see the  PJ Washington part discussed anywhere other than realgm.

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Hayward is never healthy and you can't trust him to play heavy regular season minutes. 

Besides the injury factor, I’d take Hayward over Harris just based on what the sixers need around harden and embiid. Hayward the last 3 years has shot 39.6% from three on about 4.5 attempts. I think you could likely get him up to 6 attempts per game which if his percentage stayed the same you’d get good value out of him. 

The issue is he only played 52, 44 and 49 games over the last 3 years whereas Harris has been relatively healthy. Like you said he really is unreliable for a team that has a lot of depth issues at the moment. Additional problem is trading Harris means you have a hole at PF. i don’t want nor trust a 37 year old tucker to play PF and Hayward at the wing being as injury prone as he is. 

pj Washington is on a expiring contract. So i could see Charlotte dealing him if they believe he’s going to make more than what they want to pay in a year. However not for what the sixers offer back in Harris and thybulle. Thybulle also needs a contract at year’s end. Unless the hornets are in love with thybulle i don’t see why they’d want to include Washington when they likely could get better value. I also not sure Harris is a fit with that team unless they are planning on bridges offer sheet (supposedly pistons going to do this) being too tough to match. 

• Like 1

Bryan Toporek who works at bleacher report and contributes to Forbes was asked about the hornets wanting Harris. His response 

Ben Simmons is really going to be the only player left of the trio nets fans were gushing about. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Irving played with ‘brawn before, and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. It would be great to watch another Lakers season implode in locker room turmoil, but I don’t see it happening.

And Rockets get all their picks hahaha 

They need players in return not future picks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And Rockets get all their picks hahaha 

They need players in return not future picks 

Suns and heat make the most sense imo. 

Suns could do an ayton (sign and trade), bridges, cam Johnson and picks.  

id be willing to bet pat Riley would part with Bam, Herro, gabe Vincent and picks to do it cause it’s KD. 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Suns and heat make the most sense imo. 

Suns could do an ayton (sign and trade), bridges, cam Johnson and picks.  

id be willing to bet pat Riley would part with Bam, Herro, gabe Vincent and picks to do it cause it’s KD. 

Suns would be depleted depth wise and still need a guard for Paul 

Grizzlies got Bane, sign and trade Tyus, Dillon and all our picks. We got JJJ but that would make me nervous a bit. 

It will be interesting to see if KD has demands or not and limit his teams or does he ask to go with Kyrie. AD, Russ and picks for Kyrie and KD

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Suns would be depleted depth wise and still need a guard for Paul 

Grizzlies got Bane, sign and trade Tyus, Dillon and all our picks. We got JJJ but that would make me nervous a bit. 

It will be interesting to see if KD has demands or not and limit his teams or does he ask to go with Kyrie. AD, Russ and picks for Kyrie and KD

Feel like the suns know ayton is gone one way or another. So really it’s bridges and cam. Bridges hurts to lose but getting KD helps with that. Based off what I’ve been told and heard that it’s not a given the suns extend cam Johnson who’s entering the last year of his deal due to what he’s asking for. I’m also guessing they could probably could pry Seth curry in that deal. 

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Feel like the suns know ayton is gone one way or another. So really it’s bridges and cam. Bridges hurts to lose but getting KD helps with that. Based off what I’ve been told and heard that it’s not a given the suns extend cam Johnson who’s entering the last year of his deal due to what he’s asking for. I’m also guessing they could probably could pry Seth curry in that deal. 

I mean that would probably put Suns in the luxury tax the following year, would Sarver pay that? History hasn't shown he has 

4 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I guess Spurs think he will leave but what crap value for a really good player. 

Leader for Victor though