**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

mediocre players getting minutes & putting up average numbers on bad teams. 

thybulle played himself out of the rotation in philly. he was horrid on offense & unplayable in the playoffs. if he suddenly turned into a shooter, i'd question why he didn't do that in philly...because he had his chances.

joe would be the 5th guard in philly & wouldn't sniff the court. harden, maxey, melton, & shake are all better than him. shake because of defense & his ability to play a little pg if they need it. shake put up 12 pts last night.  

bassey would be the 3rd center in philly..at best...and isn't good enough to get minutes there. btw, paul reed put up 16 pts, 14 rb's, & 2 blocks last night. he's better than bassey.  

Joe is better than Shake. All the advanced metrics say they are the same on the defensive end if not lean Joe. Joe better than Shake on the offensive end and not really debatable. Joe got to the line 11 times the other day so more than a 3p shooter, which he is one of the best in the league. Shooting and creating space wins in this modern era. 

And right now Dedmon is your 3rd C so compare Bassey and him. 

Doc, doesn't want to nor ever have developed young guys. Wouldn't be shocked if Kork became a good 6th man on a different team

42 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i'll put some of it on glenn...but if those guys couldn't perform in philly...(and they couldn't)...because of the pressure, they ain't all that. 

Bassey is 22 and Joe is 23. You have to play guys consistent minutes and take the lumps to get guys to preform. I agree with Mat, this is on Doc not trusting guys and will ultimately hurt them because no reason to play Harden 40 minutes in January. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Joe is better than Shake. All the advanced metrics say they are the same on the defensive end if not lean Joe. Joe better than Shake on the offensive end and not really debatable. Joe got to the line 11 times the other day so more than a 3p shooter, which he is one of the best in the league. Shooting and creating space wins in this modern era. 

And right now Dedmon is your 3rd C so compare Bassey and him. 

Doc, doesn't want to nor ever have developed young guys. Wouldn't be shocked if Kork became a good 6th man on a different team

nah. the only thing joe is better at is 3 pt shooting...and he couldn't even do that while he was in philly...he shot 35%. now he's playing with no pressure & putting up empty numbers on a crap team. if joe shot 40+% on threes in philly, he'd still be there. 

3rd center gets no minutes...bassey would ride the bench in philly...a non-factor. 

i do agree on glenn not wanting to play young guys...i just think the joe/bassey hype is waaaay out of hand. neither would get regular minutes on a good team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Bassey is 22 and Joe is 23. You have to play guys consistent minutes and take the lumps to get guys to preform. I agree with Mat, this is on Doc not trusting guys and will ultimately hurt them because no reason to play Harden 40 minutes in January. 

i would like to see harden's minutes cut back a bit. he's currently at 36.7 mpg...5th in the league.  embiid is 29th with 35.1 mpg. (the top 50 are all between 33.5 & 37.5)

other than shaving 5 mpg or so from harden/jo, idk whose minutes they would give to bassey or joe if they were still on the roster.  

on another topic....it was interesting to see niang nailed to the bench last night...dnp for bang bang. he's been pretty bad this season other than that one game against the nets when he was trash talking kd. :lol:  

17 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

nah. the only thing joe is better at is 3 pt shooting...and he couldn't even do that while he was in philly...he shot 35%. now he's playing with no pressure & putting up empty numbers on a crap team. if joe shot 40+% on threes in philly, he'd still be there. 

3rd center gets no minutes...bassey would ride the bench in philly...a non-factor. 

i do agree on glenn not wanting to play young guys...i just think the joe/bassey hype is waaaay out of hand. neither would get regular minutes on a good team.

And guess what the most important shot in the league is. Shake is shooting 47% from mid range and Joe is at 54%. EPM, DWS, and Raptor 538 all have Joe as the better defender than Shake. 

Joe has some of the best advanced metrics in the league right now on the offensive side. 

He played 980 minutes in two years with the Sixers and already at 900 for the Thunder. He games he played over 15 minutes for the Sixers in 22, he shot 41.5% from 3. Young guys need time to develop. Guys peak around 26-27 in the league. 

He will be a contributor for the Thunder next year and they will be in the playoffs. They sitting SGA again with fake injuries and before the they were in playoff contention. 

It was a miss because Doc refused to develop young guys and has a long long history of it. When he is fired the cupboard will he bare and have Doc to thank for that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i would like to see harden's minutes cut back a bit. he's currently at 36.7 mpg...5th in the league.  embiid is 29th with 35.1 mpg. (the top 50 are all between 33.5 & 37.5)

other than shaving 5 mpg or so from harden/jo, idk whose minutes they would give to bassey or joe if they were still on the roster.  

All the back ups are in 30s with zero upside. 

This is also on Morey to stop signing these dudes and he should have forced Doc hand to play the young guys. 

Sixers have squandered or traded away more talent in the last decade it really is crazy to think about. 

you went all raptor 538 on me! :lol:  i still don't know whose minutes you're giving to joe & bassey.  there aren't many minutes for a 4th guard or a 3rd center.  

right or wrong, they obviously think they're in win-now mode with 33y/o harden and jojo as their cornerstones...so they value vets over developmental guys. the front office is mostly trash so i'm not trying to defend them. trez & house have been horrid...tucker hasn't been great either but he at least competes & should help in the playoffs. 

Last night was a really good road win but so puzzling.  We've seen this team look good in some other Embiid DNP games.  Why do they fall apart so often when Embiid gets a breather in games he started?  It seems like Doc and/or the staff should be able to mesh the two scenarios a little better. 

Doc didn't even want to play Maxey in his rookie year. Covid forced the change and he was still reluctant to play him. What about the Reed/Jordan situation where he lost his sheet at the media when it was clear that Jordan shouldn't see the court and he was still refusing to give Reed minutes?

I get the roster is in a different spot than it was when they started the process and they were able to play and develop guys like Roco and TJ, but a good coach will still develop talent and get the most out of their role players. 

These guys are probably looking far worse than what they are due to Doc's 'system'

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

on another topic....it was interesting to see niang nailed to the bench last night...dnp for bang bang. he's been pretty bad this season other than that one game against the nets when he was trash talking kd. :lol:  

Saw that when looking at the box score at work. 2 double digit games through all of Feb after a decent Jan. 

5 minutes ago, Mat said:

Doc didn't even want to play Maxey in his rookie year. Covid forced the change and he was still reluctant to play him. What about the Reed/Jordan situation where he lost his sheet at the media when it was clear that Jordan shouldn't see the court and he was still refusing to give Reed minutes?

I get the roster is in a different spot than it was when they started the process and they were able to play and develop guys like Roco and TJ, but a good coach will still develop talent and get the most out of their role players. 

These guys are probably looking far worse than what they are due to Doc's 'system'

i 1000% agree that glenn is a dope & i hope he's fired this offseason. we might see a youth movement if harden decides to sign elsewhere. even then, they might keep trying to plug in vets while embiid is still in his prime. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i 1000% agree that glenn is a dope & i hope he's fired this offseason. we might see a youth movement if harden decides to sign elsewhere. even then, they might keep trying to plug in vets while embiid is still in his prime. 

If Harden leaves you have to put all cards in for Butler. Can't get Butler you probably should look at moving Embiid and starting over. 2026 draft class is good with Cooper Flagg and Boozer's kid who already might be the best kid in high school as a sophomore if really want to start over haha 

8 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

It's a balance of the two. A young team needs good vets to help them set standards and win games. An older team needs youth so they can push the pace and bring energy on and off the court. They've gone to far the other way bringing in a bunch of old guys that are one step away from retirement

These guys make sense as end of the bench guys on a young team, but not a team wanting to compete 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

If Harden leaves you have to put all cards in for Butler. Can't get Butler you probably should look at moving Embiid and starting over. 2026 draft class is good with Cooper Flagg and Boozer's kid who already might be the best kid in high school as a sophomore if really want to start over haha 

One of them is apparently pretty good at baseball

5 minutes ago, Mat said:

One of them is apparently pretty good at baseball

Cameron is like 6'8" and other is only 6'3"

11 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

i'll be very interested to see what they can get for an expiring tobi. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I’ve felt this way for a while. I think embiid will give them a chance this offseason to make a move and try to get them over the hump since tobias is an expiring contract and harden’s situation. If they lose in the second round this year and next year i fully believe he is gonna demand a trade next offseason. 

Glen reminds me a little of Doug Collins. Too set in his ways, and has no patience to develop young guys. There are plenty of bad teams on the schedule to get younger players significant minutes to bring them along. 

• Like 2

PJ Tucker is a washed bum. What a terrible signing. Can’t believe we have another two years of this guy. 

• Like 1

Well, well.  Maxey back in as starter. 

I guess the good news is that our starting back-court scored 56.  The bad news is that the opposing back-court scored 82! 😄

image.thumb.png.c00055ee93e4585b50d315504b6a161f.png

image.thumb.png.6415e32cd085ad86f185da256e6969b8.png

yeah...the harden/maxey backcourt is gonna get cooked on defense. 

bench led a nice run last night but it just wasn't enough. harden had a sloppy game with 6 turnovers that really hurt. oh well...one loss closer to glenn's firing.