**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

Stephen A said NY is Lillards preferred destination if he would request a trade. Says he's not guessing. He knows this  And says he would be able to recruit guys like Tatum down the line,  or Embiid.

29 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Stephen A said NY is Lillards preferred destination if he would request a trade. Says he's not guessing. He knows this  And says he would be able to recruit guys like Tatum down the line,  or Embiid.

Just pointing out Tatum can’t leave the Celtics until the 2025 offseason so basically 4 years from now. And embiid not until the 2023 offseason. So lillard is going to be 35 when he can recruit Tatum to go to the knicks. And he’d have to spend at least 2 more years until he’d recruit embiid there especially cause i highly doubt the sixers deal embiid within the division. So he’d be 33 then. So he’s about to waste 2-4 years until he could recruit them there and that’s if embiid doesn’t sign a contract with the sixers.

lillard might want to go to the Knicks as a destination but i don’t think recruiting either of those guys is a strategic smart move cause I’m betting embiid gets a super max contract from the sixers and Boston isn’t dealing Tatum to the Knicks and trading him for at least 3 more years thats if Boston regresses  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Just pointing out Tatum can’t leave the Celtics until the 2025 offseason so basically 4 years from now. And embiid not until the 2023 offseason. So lillard is going to be 35 when he can recruit Tatum to go to the knicks. And he’d have to spend at least 2 more years until he’d recruit embiid there especially cause i highly doubt the sixers deal embiid within the division. So he’d be 33 then. So he’s about to waste 2-4 years until he could recruit them there and that’s if embiid doesn’t sign a contract with the sixers. 

I thought the same thing - Lillard will be very old by then.  

Unless he was to convince embiid to request a trade now.  Which,  if we don't trade Simmons...

27 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I thought the same thing - Lillard will be very old by then.  

Unless he was to convince embiid to request a trade now.  Which,  if we don't trade Simmons...

I think it’s a bad assumption they wouldn’t get a better offer then what the Knicks would have at that point. After the Knicks empty the treasure chest to get lillard they definitely won’t have enough to get embiid too. a team like the pelicans who have better trade chips and by that time Zion (if next offseason) would be even better. If the sixers deal embiid they are going full rebuild based on where they’d be. The Knicks don’t nearly have the draft pick assets the pelicans have.add on inside the division i don’t see them dealing him.

frankly i think if the sixers offer embiid a super max he’s going to take it. With his injury past i think it’d be risky for him not too and wait it out. There’s the chance he might never get that type of super contract

for lillard i think the Knicks would try to make a splash in the 2022 offseason in FA. However i think the best player might be Kyrie or beal and competing against teams like dallas for beal potentially.

this is why I said a couple weeks ago as soon as the Knicks make a deal for Damian Lillard they have given up almost all of their trade assets so it becomes nearly impossible to make another trade to get another superstar. At that point they have to go to free agency in order to get a superstar player. Meaning they would have to hope in 2022 or if not then 2023 embiid there in two offseason when lillard might be on the decline at 33 and we don’t know what condition embiid  is gonna be in or if he signs a Supermax contact already or choose somewhere else like playing with luka 

Ok, I really didn't know this place to post other sports existed. I was looking for a place to talk about the 76ers, especially after the draft and Monday free agency happening. 

So... the whole Ben Simmons trade issue has given me this really strange feeling. The feeling is that instead of Morey hitting a home run(s), they are at some point going to trade Simmons for a player or players that just aren't top shelf players. I hope I am wrong, but I keep seeing an underwhelming sports headline that says Ben was traded for 1 or two mediocre, yawns-R-Us players (magic beans), and piss the entire Philly fan base off. I like being an optimist, but I just can't shake this gut feeling... that the 76er's are going to get screwed here. 

I really hope I am wrong and they finagle a top shelf player. Morey is good at this, but I just am not feeling it this time around.

• Like 1

I am so curious what Morey wanted from Houston for Harris.

Was it John Wall, or was it Eric Gordon and a bunch of others to match the salary. 

• Like 1

5 day old article but posting it since the report about the sixers being willing to trade harris recently came out. 

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article253085448.html

"A source with knowledge of the talks said Philadelphia also has shown interest (unrelated to Simmons), with other teams believed to be engaged on that front as well. A Hield deal of some sort, it seems, is likely on the horizon.”

Hield, 28, is entering the second year of the four-year, $86 million contract he signed in 2020. He is owed $22.5 million in 2021-21, $20.5 million in 2022-23 and $18.6 million in the final year of the deal.

The 76ers want an All-Star caliber player in return for Simmons. Hield doesn’t meet the criteria, but there are other possibilities. One league source — someone not affiliated with either organization — has suggested a deal involving Tobias Harris would make more sense, saying the 76ers might prefer to move Harris to clear salary cap space.

Harris, 29, is a 6-foot-8, 226-pound forward who averaged 19.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists last season. He is owed $112.9 million over the next three seasons after signing a five-year, $180 million deal with the 76ers in 2019. One way for the Kings to match salaries would be to include Delon Wright ($8.5 million) in the deal.

Hield would provide much-need floor spacing for the 76ers, who feature All-Star center Joel Embiid, or the Lakers, who are trying to put the right pieces around LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Hield averaged 16.6 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.6 assists last season. He shot 40.6% from the field and 39.1% from 3-point range, down from 43.1% in 2017-18 and 42.7% in 2018-19.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What does it matter if the back up center doesn't have experience in the beginning of the season? There isn't a back up type center in the league that can stop the sixers from losing if Embiid is out. At least to start to start the season might as well see if you can groom one. Hell most teams don't even have a center back up at all, they are all small ball guys. 

you'd like a backup center who is at least serviceable in the regular season when embiid sits out. a rookie drafted 50th overall isn't that. neither is pelle...who just got released by the knicks & is a 29 y/o borderline nba player. 

a small ball center would work but the sixers don't have one of those either.  

• Like 1

How does a Harris for Hield deal create cap space, at least for 2021?

Also, from a basketball standpoint, I don’t think that type of swap improves the 76ers. Who handles the ball in the half court? 

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

How does a Harris for Hield deal create cap space, at least for 2021?

Also, from a basketball standpoint, I don’t think that type of swap improves the 76ers. Who handles the ball in the half court? 

i don't think cap space for 2021 is possible...i think they'd have to trade tobi or ben for a team with the cap space to absorb their entire contract...which is very unlikely.

hield is a very good 3 point shooter who can space the floor but i don't think that move alone helps much. it would need to be followed up with additional moves...like trading simmons. and i don't know that it would be a 1 for 1 harris for hield trade either.  

• Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946713-nba-sources-kyle-lowry-demar-derozan-emerge-as-pivotal-dominoes

More notes from around the league: 

• pixel.gif

The numbers floating around for Duncan Robinson’s next contract are an average annual value between $16 million and $18 million. 

• Lauri Markkanen is said to be on the Spurs’ radar while also generating interest from the Pistons. Kelly Olynyk has become frequently linked to Detroit as well. 

• Andre Iguodala appears to be one of the veterans that Golden State CEO Joe Lacob hinted at possibly joining the Warriors. League sources also told B/R that forward Paul Millsap would be amenable to joining Golden State or returning to Atlanta at the taxpayer mid-level ($5.9 million). 

• The Lakers, and Iguodala’s former agent Rob Pelinka, are said to be interested in the veteran wing as well. The Lakers have also been linked to Patty Mills, although his market would appear to be more robust than the veteran minimum spots they have to offer. 

• Veteran guard Danny Green is known to have interest in playing for the Heat. 

• Minnesota remains open to moving Taurean Prince after acquiring the forward from Cleveland, as the Timberwolves continue to look for reinforcements in their frontcourt. 

• Cory Joseph is expected to re-sign with the Pistons even though they waived him Saturday. 

• Gorgui Dieng has generated interest from the Suns and Spurs at around the bi-annual exception amount of $3.7 million. 

27 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i don't think cap space for 2021 is possible...i think they'd have to trade tobi or ben for a team with the cap space to absorb their entire contract...which is very unlikely.

hield is a very good 3 point shooter who can space the floor but i don't think that move alone helps much. it would need to be followed up with additional moves...like trading simmons. and i don't know that it would be a 1 for 1 harris for hield trade either.  

I think Buddy is underrated at this point in his career. He shoot 39% on 10.5 attempts last year, which is a really good number. Get him with a big who can give him open looks and should shoot low 40%.

Why the decision on LeBron wanting Russ over Buddy is a head scratcher to me. Lebron wins with shooters and the evidence shows that. 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I think the market opens up at 6pm today and no Sixers news or rumors.

yeah...i think they only have the mle...and philly isn't a place free agents or ring chasing vets are rushing to sign with. sixers will most likely be picking over the scraps. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sixers/nba-free-agency-2021-sixers-kyle-lowry-ben-simmons-reggie-bullock

What is the Sixers’ salary cap situation? 

With 11 players under contract, the Sixers have approximately $131.9 million of taxable salary, per Spotrac. The luxury tax threshold for the 2021-22 season is $136.6 million. The Sixers are likely to be a taxpaying team, which would give them access to the $5.9 million taxpayer midlevel exception, a tool that can be used to sign one or multiple players. 

The Sixers have an $8.2 million trade exception from the Al Horford/Danny Green deal.

Another figure to keep in mind is the luxury tax apron of approximately $142 million. If the Sixers — or any team — acquires a player via a sign-and-trade, they’re hard capped at that number. 

And one more salary-related item to keep an eye on: George Hill is currently guaranteed about $1.3 million for next season. His salary of $10 million would be fully guaranteed on Tuesday, per Spotrac.

Who have the Sixers been linked to? 

There has not been a ton out there yet related to the Sixers and free agency, unless you count the constant attention on Simmons and Lowry. 

The New York Post’s Marc Berman reported the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers had interest in Knicks wing Reggie Bullock. A starter for New York last year, Bullock would check that three-point shooting box (41 percent in 2020-21) and be helpful defensively, especially if the Sixers part with Simmons and/or Green. 

Combing through our lists of possible Sixers taxpayer mid-level exception and veteran minimum options, here are a few players who might make sense for specific roles:

• Backup big men: Kelly Olynyk, Gorgui Dieng 
  • Starting-caliber or high-level bench wing shooters: Bullock, Doug McDermott 
  • Second-unit perimeter offensive players: Patty Mills, Wayne Ellington, Austin Rivers
  • Interesting moves for the minimum: Sterling Brown, Semi Ojeleye, Harry Giles 

Howard back to the Lakers and looks like Lowry to the Heat for Goran/Precious Achiuwa

Wonder if Sixers look at Goran in a future trade as a stop gap from him to Maxey

There is a strong possibility that Howard returns for a third go-around with the Lakers. Howard won a title with the Lakers in 2020, but he bolted to the 76ers last season. Now, there appears to be interest on both sides to have Howard back for his physical and defensive play. Howard, 35, averaged 7.0 points and 8.4 rebounds in 17.3 minutes last season in Philadelphia, his 17th in the NBA. – via Broderick Turner @ Los Angeles Times

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khani1 said:

There is a Ben for Jaylen Brown rumor floating around.  Not sure how true that is.

that would be amazing. ben in a celtics uniform might be the most booable player in recent memory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

There is a Ben for Jaylen Brown rumor floating around.  Not sure how true that is.

That would be a head scratcher for Ainge to do that. I guess if Celtics want to play small but Brown is a stud and will continue to play at an All Star level 

John Hollinger said on the Athletic that Indiana may be looking to sign Lou Williams as a third point guard possibly on a minimum contract.  How do the Sixers not top that?

28 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Yes please but I doubt it.

• Like 2