**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

So Hoffman and bodner on the trade exception 

The Sixers have an $8.2 million trade exception as a result of last year’s Al Horford trade. The exception expires in September. The Sixers can use that exception to absorb a salary in a trade, without sending any salary out themselves. A few notes: First, the Sixers cannot use this exception to sign a free agent. They also cannot aggregate another salary alongside of this exception. For example, they can’t add in Seth Curry’s $8.2 million salary to this $8.190 million exception to receive a player with a $16 million contract. The trade exception can, however, be split. (They can acquire a player with a $4 million salary using the exception, then acquire another player with a $4 million salary in a separate transaction using the remainder of the exception.)

on the sixers cap situation:

A Simmons trade could, theoretically, lower the Sixers’ salary-cap commitments. A refresher on the rules: For an over-the-cap team, the rules for how much salary it can receive back in a trade is dependent on how much it sends out. When sending out more than $19.6 million in salary, the max an over-the-cap team can receive back is 125 percent of its outgoing salary, plus $100,000. In order to be able to take back Simmons’ $33 million salary, an over-the-cap team would have to send out a minimum $26.4 million in salary, which is a gap of around $6.6 million. This gap can be extended based on aggregating more salary (to make the 25 percent gap wider), finding an under-the-cap team or a few other ways. But this is a quick example of a way the Sixers can create space under the apron.

• We’ll get more into the apron below, but one of the reasons it’s important is because if the Sixers had significant room underneath, they could use the full, non-taxpayer midlevel exception ($9.5 million starting salary, up to four years) instead of the taxpayer midlevel ($5.9 million starting salary, up to three years). As we’ll get into below, that allows the Sixers to shop for a different class of free agents.

• That being said, given all the Sixers would have to give up in order to stay below the $143 million apron, unless the Sixers dump significant salary on a team with cap space, the most likely scenario is they shop with the taxpayer MLE. Again, we’ll get into that below. It’s just something to keep in mind when you look at the table above.

on the apron

Removing Hill and Anthony Tolliver from the equation, the Sixers have roughly $120 million committed to nine players (plus the small, $1.3 million guarantee on Hill’s 2021-22 salary). We’ll eventually tack on another $2 million for Springer to make it a little more than $122 million for 10 players. Heading into free agency, that leaves the Sixers a little more than $20 million shy of the projected $143 million apron with the rest of the roster to fill out.

As a reminder, that $143 million number becomes a hard cap if a team does any of the following: acquires a player in a sign-and-trade, uses the $9.5 million MLE or uses the bi-annual exception ($3.7 million).

If the Sixers take the straightforward path in free agency, that hard cap won’t come into play. Let’s say they decide to re-sign Danny Green and Furkan Korkmaz with Early Bird and Bird rights, respectively, while also using the taxpayer midlevel exception ($5.9 million) and minimum contracts to get a backup center and fill out the rest of the roster. In that case, the $143 million number doesn’t matter. Additionally, if Simmons is traded for players currently under contract (i.e., not free agents this offseason), the hard cap still wouldn’t matter. The Sixers, staring at a luxury tax bill, wouldn’t be particularly flexible in that general scenario. But they wouldn’t be worried about a hard cap, either, a significant difference.

14 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Knicks gonna Knick… woof

I mean Rose, Burks and Noel aren't bad deals but Fourier is terrible. 

Powel stayed in Portland for 5/90

5 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

cant see it. what is it?

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Redundant with Mccolum and Lillard

1 minute ago, Blazehound said:

Redundant with Mccolum and Lillard

This is why I’m betting at some point in time Damian Lillard is going to be like F this I want out. Their general manager believes if he brings the same team back with minor adjustments because he hired Chauncey Billups as coach that there a title contender then he’s eventually going to ask to be traded. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

On Danny 

I felt like JJ was coming back here last trade deadline/buyout time but he ended up traded elsewhere. I think its for sure happening. The only thing that makes me question it a little is that Brett Brown is gone and was a major draw for JJ initially here. 

I’m kind of surprised no one who’s spent dumb money has done so on Kelly oubre yet 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

I felt like JJ was coming back here last trade deadline/buyout time but he ended up traded elsewhere. I think its for sure happening. The only thing that makes me question it a little is that Brett Brown is gone and was a major draw for JJ initially here. 

What’s his relationship with doc. He was there when doc was the coach of the clips. I’m guessing good standing 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m kind of surprised no one who’s spent dumb money has done so on Kelly oubre yet 

What’s his relationship with doc. He was there when doc was the coach of the clips. I’m guessing good standing 

Rivers and JJ off the bench is solid and I feel like you can get them for vet mins of split the MLE on each of them. 

Then you just have to figure out the backup 4 with the trade exception. 

I havent read or heard anything on Redicks relationship with Doc. But I did watch his interview with Duncan Robinson recently, and he still speaks well of philly. Actually got me hopefull maybe Robinson might get some interest in coming here. 

I am not sure JJ has anything else to give at 37. Mavs needed shooting and he didn't get off the bench for the playoffs 

• Like 1

Just now, DaEagles4Life said:

I am not sure JJ has anything else to give at 37. Mavs needed shooting and he didn't get off the bench for the playoffs 

he had a bad year. I feel like he got better late maybe?

But Id suspect that coming in there as late as he did, and having a bad season most of the year, he wouldnt have had much of a chance to earn major rotation minutes. 

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

cant see it. what is it?

A0C107CA-E624-4F72-9CF8-FD0A372B7727.jpeg

15 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Rivers and JJ off the bench is solid and I feel like you can get them for vet mins of split the MLE on each of them. 

Then you just have to figure out the backup 4 with the trade exception. 

I havent read or heard anything on Redicks relationship with Doc. But I did watch his interview with Duncan Robinson recently, and he still speaks well of philly. Actually got me hopefull maybe Robinson might get some interest in coming here. 

I believe rivers re-signed with Denver 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

A0C107CA-E624-4F72-9CF8-FD0A372B7727.jpeg

Pretty sure embiid’s only brother passed away. He does have a sister

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Pretty sure embiid’s only brother passed away. He does have a sister

but does he have a brother in law?

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

but does he have a brother in law?

Idk on that. 

6 minutes ago, SB52 said:

I’m surprised Korkmaz only got 3 years/$15 million.

well, hes not good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1