**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

There no plan.  If as reported there is no hurry to trade Ben they should have approached free agency as if they are taking him in to the season. 

They didn't. 

Now,  after a trade happens,  there not really many difference making players left to sign already. 

Just like at the trade deadline we let opportunities pass waiting on a deal that never happened. 

Back then it was Lowry

This time,  it might have been Lowry again.  But also the Ben trade.  Waiting on 3 players who never became available. 

42 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

So depressing.  If that is the case, next year we should trade Joel instead of super max him and get back a lot of young assets.  Right now we are looking at Dame or bust.

We shouldn't.  But I also think Joel will request a trade soon enough.  You think he's liking this offseason so far?

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

There no plan.  If as reported there is no hurry to trade Ben they should have approached free agency as if they are taking him in to the season. 

They didn't. 

Now,  after a trade happens,  there not really many difference making players left to sign already. 

Just like at the trade deadline we let opportunities pass waiting on a deal that never happened. 

Back then it was Lowry

This time,  it might have been Lowry again.  But also the Ben trade.  Waiting on 3 players who never became available. 

We shouldn't.  But I also think Joel will request a trade soon enough.  You think he's liking this offseason so far?

What opportunities?  They're capped out.  Even if they trade Ben they're taking back equal salary.  They'll get a full MLE player.  That's all they were ever going to get.  We're not sure who becomes available until after the olympics.  If you want to trade Ben for a bunch of role players and a pick or two then I guess they missed out.  Put away the jump to conclusion mat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rambo said:

What opportunities?  They're capped out.  Even if they trade Ben they're taking back equal salary.  They'll get a full MLE player.  That's all they were ever going to get.  We're not sure who becomes available until after the olympics.  If you want to trade Ben for a bunch of role players and a pick or two then I guess they missed out.  Put away the jump to conclusion mat.

this. they were never going to be major players in free agency because they're over the cap & only have the mle. they can and most likely still will trade simmons. it's just a matter of what they get in return & what positions they'll need to fill afterwards using the mle, etc.

Source: https://theathletic.com/2746229/2021/08/03/warriors-nba-free-agency-patty-mills/

Sources say the Warriors have hope with free-agent guard Patty Mills, the long-time Spurs reserve. He figures to be one of those difference-making fits. At 32, with a championship ring, 90 career playoff games and noteworthy international experience, Mills checks the veteran box. The Warriors could use his shot-making and offensive creation.

If Jazz forward Joe Ingles is indeed available for trade, sources say the Warriors do have interest — just no good way to get him. Ingles, approaching 34, fits the Warriors’ need for a veteran and another offensive playmaker. His passing would fit perfectly with the Warriors. He can run point forward and spot up off the ball, making him viable with the starters and the second unit. He’s got 45 playoff games under his belt. He shot a career-best 45.1 percent from 3 on a career-high 6.1 attempts per game — his third season at 44 percent or above. He’s also reputed for being a great guy and would add to the culture of the locker room.

8 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

this. they were never going to be major players in free agency because they're over the cap & only have the mle. they can and most likely still will trade simmons. it's just a matter of what they get in return & what positions they'll need to fill afterwards using the mle, etc.

pretty much. i don't know what people were thinking was going to happen in fa. at least as far as a "big" signing. 

15 minutes ago, rambo said:

Portis was an opportunity on the MLE. He signed for 2/9. Duncan Robinson was, and many other players would be on a S&T using Green. And, Hill's salary was great to put in to trades (which we have squandered by asking too much). Im sure there were tons of Ben offers from teams that we passed on. 

Lots of opportunities. 

6 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

So do the Nets as reported last night. So, hes not coming here either. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

pretty much. i don't know what people were thinking was going to happen in fa. at least as far as a "big" signing. 

no one implied big signing like you guys are talking about. 

19 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

Honestly this is why when they had cap space and signed horford to that contract it basically had to work out or they were going to be Fed. That was the last year they were going to have significant cap space to spend on FA. Instead of spreading the money out and getting a couple of guys or guys who actually fit we decided to go after a breaking down aging horford who didn’t remotely fit the roster. That move alone should have gotten Elton brand fired because if the sixers spend wisely and players who fit they likely are in a much better position 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Portis was an opportunity on the MLE. He signed for 2/9. Duncan Robinson was, and many other players would be on a S&T using Green. And, Hill's salary was great to put in to trades (which we have squandered by asking too much). Im sure there were tons of Ben offers from teams that we passed on. 

Lots of opportunities. 

Oh darn we missed out on Portis, 5 years and $90 million on Robinson, 3 years at $30 million per for Lowry, etc...  I'm devastated.

I want Ben gone as much as the rest of you but there's been no opportunity this offseason where I thought that a move/player was there to push us to championship contender status.

Im curious if they let this Horford trade exception expire as well. They are going to want to save their picks to use in a Ben trade. So I dont see them sending one out in a trade to use the exception. 

2 minutes ago, rambo said:

Oh darn we missed out on Portis, 5 years and $90 million on Robinson, 3 years at $30 million per for Lowry, etc...  I'm devastated.

I want Ben gone as much as the rest of you but there's been no opportunity this offseason where I thought that a move/player was there to push us to championship contender status.

Thats definitely true. But theres been plenty of opportunities to get better within our available resources. But, we have no plan. The reported FAs we were interested in signed elsewhere right away. McDermott even went to the sucky spurs. For an affordable contract for us. 

Lack of action doesnt mean there is no plan

patience, grasshopper

panicky short term thinking is a bad approach

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Thats definitely true. But theres been plenty of opportunities to get better within our available resources. But, we have no plan. 

Just keep in mind that Morey runs a lot tighter of ship than our previous GMs who tattooed what they wanted on their foreheads then got raked over the coals because everybody and their mother knew what they wanted and ran up the asking cost.  Nobody saw the Curry or Horford trades coming until it was done.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rambo said:

That Lowry contract is going to bite Miami in the ass in his second season. He was really not good as a defender last year. He had a 114.5 defensive rating which is one of the worst in the league for a starting point guard. Add on he couldn’t stay healthy. He’s 35. I don’t think he ages well like Chris Paul. I think Miami is going to regret giving him that 3 year contract by year 2. Even the Chris Paul contract isn’t guaranteed in year 4. And year three it’s only partially guaranteed so they can get out of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, rambo said:

Just keep in mind that Morey runs a lot tighter of ship than our previous GMs who tattooed what they wanted on their foreheads then got raked over the coals because everybody and their mother knew what they wanted and ran up the asking cost.  Nobody saw the Curry or Horford trades coming until it was done.

If the offseason ends up awesome, Ill be here giving props. I quickly changed my tune on Maxey which, I hated at the time of the pick. 

I think its ok to say right now that it sucks so far. 

• Like 1

mcdermott went for $14 mill per yr & the sixers didn't have that to spend. and indy didn't want salary back in a s&t because they wanted to re-sign tj, believe it or not. 

It's funny to see these average players getting huge deals and then see Korkmaz got $15 million for 3 years.

What a loser.

:roll: 

5 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

mcdermott went for $14 mill per yr & the sixers didn't have that to spend. and indy didn't want salary back in a s&t because they wanted to re-sign tj, believe it or not. 

That’s a ridiculous price for McDermott. The nba when free agency hits has some of the worst contracts handed out and then like the next year teams are scrambling to get out of the contracts. I remember a couple years ago the Lakers gave mozgov 64 mil over 4 years. I sat there like how could anyone justify that contract

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Monk on a one year prove it deal. 

Try to trade Shake for a wing

Do you think Malik Monk is a Sixers target?  Interesting player - I'm curious why he hasn't been more productive though. 

We signed Andre Drummond.

Drummond and Embiid as teammates was not something I ever envisioned while watching Embiid take pleasure in torturing him on the court.

• Like 3

[Wojnarowski] Free agent C Andre Drummond has agreed to a one-year deal with the 76ers, source tells ESPN.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

[Wojnarowski] Free agent C Andre Drummond has agreed to a one-year deal with the 76ers, source tells ESPN.

Ooof

turns 28 in a few days so still pretty young. should be better than what dwight gave them off the bench last year. 

• Like 1

Minimum deal per Kyle Neubeck.  I like it.  If it was for real money, I wouldn't but for the min, I'll take it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

So there’s not a plan, then…

:lol: