The Movie Thread

Agent23

On 7/19/2021 at 2:21 PM, The_Omega said:

You know how in Men In Black, a giant insect alien crashes to earth, kills a guy named Edgar, and then walks around wearing his skin?

Well I now know how that would play out exactly if instead of a giant insect alien it was cocaine.  

6 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

There was a great bit on Community where there was an entire class titled: "Nicholas Cage: good or bad?" and the question was so hard to answer Abed lost his mind.

1464394851_tenor(31).gif.5bbe9ed43e4ce5aaa5e616a8a239cc5b.gif

Just another victim of Professor Professorson 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paco said:

Just another victim of Professor Professorson 

At least he was able to figure who The Boss was.

3 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

At least he was able to figure who The Boss was.

I'm pretty sure that conclusion ended Professor Sheffield's tenure at Greendale.  After that we never saw him again.

21 hours ago, Agent23 said:

National Treasure is a National Treasure! There is no Philly bias there! 

Disney should write Ben Gates and his crew into the MCU.  Then can make more movies and make gazillions off of them.  

Actually, it looks like, in addition to a new Disney + series, there will be at least 1 more movie.

If you’re a big fan of the original films, you’re also in luck. National Treasure 3 is actually still in production and will feature the original cast of National Treasure including Nicholas Cage, Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, and more in a brand new adventure when it gets its theatrical release.

I will watch it day 1 

• Like 1

Space Jam: A New Legacy - It was bad, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Watching pre-movie trailers. Jason borne vs kylo ren in feudal times 

And another, looks 1950s or so, the crawl space girl from jojo rabbit and girl from queens gambit look to be sharing a life? Dude that directed baby driver

I watched Old last night. One of the few M. Night films that doesn't try to get too cute with some twist or reveal or whatever. I really enjoyed the camera work and sound design in the film (I saw in a Dolby Theater room). Lots of handheld, almost first person perspective of some of the chaos and insanity that happens on the beach. And as the camera is moving and panning around, the sounds on the beach and from the people on the beach legitimately feel like they are around you, behind you, to one specific side. I had a good time seeing it in a quality theater. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, The_Omega said:

Disney should write Ben Gates and his crew into the MCU.  Then can make more movies and make gazillions off of them.  

Actually, it looks like, in addition to a new Disney + series, there will be at least 1 more movie.

This time, they're stealing statues of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln to dismantle the white patriarchy.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, Agent23 said:

I watched Old last night. One of the few M. Night films that doesn't try to get too cute with some twist or reveal or whatever. I really enjoyed the camera work and sound design in the film (I saw in a Dolby Theater room). Lots of handheld, almost first person perspective of some of the chaos and insanity that happens on the beach. And as the camera is moving and panning around, the sounds on the beach and from the people on the beach legitimately feel like they are around you, behind you, to one specific side. I had a good time seeing it in a quality theater. 

talking up the quality of the theatre bc the quality of the movie sucked isn't a good sign 

27 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

talking up the quality of the theatre bc the quality of the movie sucked isn't a good sign 

I mean I'm on the side of the beach in this film 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, Agent23 said:

I thought it was M. Night's best movie and this coming from a guy who gave up on him after lady in the Water.  It's wickedly subversive, the horror is shlocky and fun and it takes the intentionally 2 dimensional characters to a touching and philosophical place.  And yes it does use the dolby sound to pull some sly tricks ( I swore the baby was in the theater).  It's also original, which is not something you say alot these days.

33 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I thought it was M. Night's best movie and this coming from a guy who gave up on him after lady in the Water.  It's wickedly subversive, the horror is shlocky and fun and it takes the intentionally 2 dimensional characters to a touching and philosophical place.  And yes it does use the dolby sound to pull some sly tricks ( I swore the baby was in the theater).  It's also original, which is not something you say alot these days.

bro, the baby was off to my back left in the theater!!! it was wild! I think the story was pulled from a graphic novel that has this concept, but people blatantly know this is an M Night movie going into it, which means expectations should be in check and given how many let downs and clunkers he has (though almost always having an A+ concept) I thought it more than delivered on expectations. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

bro, the baby was off to my back left in the theater!!! it was wild! I think the story was pulled from a graphic novel that has this concept, but people blatantly know this is an M Night movie going into it, which means expectations should be in check and given how many let downs and clunkers he has (though almost always having an A+ concept) I thought it more than delivered on expectations. 

I said, out loud, "who the F brought a baby?".  Wifey slapped me.  

And back to M Night.  The Visit was a fun flick, but it didn't have much M.Night in it.  This is one has got his fingerprints all over it, all of the visuals and tight mood building that made him famous, yet it's also clearly intended to be entertaining from start to finish.  It's a claustrophobic movie but it has a wide range of emotions and plenty of memorable dialogue punching through in well delivered snippets.  I thought it was pretty damn brilliant and would even watch it again.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I said, out loud, "who the F brought a baby?".  Wifey slapped me.  

And back to M Night.  The Visit was a fun flick, but it didn't have much M.Night in it.  This is one has got his fingerprints all over it, all of the visuals and tight mood building that made him famous, yet it's also clearly intended to be entertaining from start to finish.  It's a claustrophobic movie but it has a wide range of emotions and plenty of memorable dialogue punching through in well delivered snippets.  I thought it was pretty damn brilliant and would even watch it again.

Side note: when did the girl from Leave No Trace and Jojo Rabbit turn into a woman and grow some arse and tiddies? I saw in a trailer (maybe before that film) that she and Anya Taylor Joy have a film together coming up in the near future. The only person I recognized from trailers/knew was in Old was the kid from Hereditary. 

• Like 1

Saw The Green Knight yesterday and was not a fan. Movie is like 95% atmosphere and 5% story... def wasn't my jam. Struggled staying awake. 

OLD was okay, but I think he added a bit TOO much to the end.

Spoiler

Did they even say why the beach makes people age rapidly?

On 7/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, SPIDER-MAN said:

OLD was okay, but I think he added a bit TOO much to the end.

Hide contents

Did they even say why the beach makes people age rapidly?

something to do with the minerals in the rocks and surrounding waters having some kind of unique scientific property on all living objects. 

I really liked the premise of people using it as a way to test medicines on terminal people. But I also supported the president in Kingsman Golden Compass that wanted to let them keep poisoning drugs so that all drug users on earth would kill themselves off :lol: 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:26 PM, The_Omega said:

Space Jam: A New Legacy - It was bad, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Just saw it tonight.  The first 20 minutes were bad, but then it go better after that.  The last hour was basically just looking for random WB characters in the movie and random references that were being made.

4 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

Just saw it tonight.  The first 20 minutes were bad, but then it go better after that.  The last hour was basically just looking for random WB characters in the movie and random references that were being made.

FB_IMG_1627881549177.jpg

Old was meh. 

Jungle Cruise I really enjoyed. Had a bit of an Indiana Jones crossed with Pirates of the Caribbean vibe

3 hours ago, Mat said:

Old was meh. 

Jungle Cruise I really enjoyed. Had a bit of an Indiana Jones crossed with Pirates of the Caribbean vibe

I haven't been on any Disney rides because I don't own any children, but learned this was inspired off one of their rides and those sweet, sweet jokes Dwayne was telling during the movie were similar to if not flat out identical to the ones the "skippers" on the Disney ride also tell. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, Agent23 said:

I haven't been on any Disney rides because I don't own any children, but learned this was inspired off one of their rides and those sweet, sweet jokes Dwayne was telling during the movie were similar to if not flat out identical to the ones the "skippers" on the Disney ride also tell. 

:roll:  The Jungle Cruise is a classic ride at Magic Kingdom.  The only bad part about it are the wait times.  It always seemed to be the longest wait in the park.  I really enjoyed the movie, and you are correct.....the skippers used the same dad jokes throughout the entire ride.