Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: Once AGAIN. Politics to CVON!!!!!

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, greend said:

Trust me, you don't have to tell us. Carson stays in the game in the playoffs round 1 we win

I actually disagree with that.  I don't think they were winning that game.  The offense came out flat and has always been flat against that team.  It's more of an assumption to say they'd lift off and win than to say otherwise.

  • Replies 27.2k
  • Views 2m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Meet my new Grandson Isaiah Lee greend

  • Green Dog
    Green Dog

    Hmm.  Feels like we've finally cut the cord.  Floating out in the ether. Anger at the faceless dismissal and marginalization of it's own fans by PE.com. But extreme gratitude for guys l

  • Rhinoddd50
    Rhinoddd50

    I mentioned this previously on this board, and in the past years ago on the other board.   I'm not sure Howie has ever come out and said it this plainly, but Howie is telling the truth here.   

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I never checked myself but, in 4 years Wentz is 7- 20 versus teams over 500  ?

Wentz is 32-25 as a starter. QB wins is a flawed stat, but anyway.

Against 500 or better.
2016: Ws against Pittsburgh, Giants, Vikings, Falcons; Ls against Lions, Seahawks, Packers, Giants, Cowboys x 2, Ravens, Washington x 2
2017: Ws against Panthers, Chargers, Rams, Cowboys; Ls against Chiefs, Seahawks
2018: Ws against Colts; Ls against Titans, Vikings, Cowboys x 2, Saints
2019: Ws against Packers, Bills, Bears, Cowboys; Ls against Cowboys, Vikings, Patriots, Seahawks
Total: 13-20
Total without 2016: 9-11

That 2016 schedule was brutal. 75% of the games were against teams with 500+ records.

I agree ,but unfortunately QBs get most of the praise when winning most of the blame when losing.

Teams needing QB help next year will love the upcoming draft.

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Wentz is 32-25 as a starter. QB wins is a flawed stat, but anyway.

Against 500 or better.
2016: Ws against Pittsburgh, Giants, Vikings, Falcons; Ls against Lions, Seahawks, Packers, Giants, Cowboys x 2, Ravens, Washington x 2
2017: Ws against Panthers, Chargers, Rams, Cowboys; Ls against Chiefs, Seahawks
2018: Ws against Colts; Ls against Titans, Vikings, Cowboys x 2, Saints
2019: Ws against Packers, Bills, Bears, Cowboys; Ls against Cowboys, Vikings, Patriots, Seahawks
Total: 13-20
Total without 2016: 9-11

That 2016 schedule was brutal. 75% of the games were against teams with 500+ records.

Were those stats based on record at time of game or year ending record?

I was considering JR’s take on Doug’s statement about the offense.  Something stuck with me about more under center snaps and his thought about play action.  Love most of Carson’s play, but his play action stinks.  He extends way too far for the handoff sell.   I think back to Ken Anderson, one of the most underrated QBs of all times.  Growing up an Oilers fan, not only did I get the displeasure of Bradshaw to  Stallworth and Swann but I also got to see the first WCO QB, Ken Anderson and his QB coach, Bill Walsh, twice a year.   I still don’t think I have seen a better play action QB.  I remember that he could fake out the TV director and cameramen.  He wrote about it in The Art of Quarterbacking.  Pretty simple, the handoff motion has to be the same.  The defense has to see the ball go into the pocket or at least think they do.  Anderson would hide enough of the handoff so that it wasn’t entirely clear.  That was the case every single time, whether he handed the ball off or he kept it.  

I hope Doug got a copy of The Art of Quarterbacking for Carson and maybe some clips of the magic in action. 

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I actually disagree with that.  I don't think they were winning that game.  The offense came out flat and has always been flat against that team.  It's more of an assumption to say they'd lift off and win than to say otherwise.

They had a three and out and on the first play of the next drive Wentz was concussed. There’s little to glean from that, although Wentz has struggled mightily against Seattle in his career. 

11 minutes ago, RLC said:

Wentz is 32-25 as a starter. QB wins is a flawed stat, but anyway.

Against 500 or better.
2016: Ws against Pittsburgh, Giants, Vikings, Falcons; Ls against Lions, Seahawks, Packers, Giants, Cowboys x 2, Ravens, Washington x 2
2017: Ws against Panthers, Chargers, Rams, Cowboys; Ls against Chiefs, Seahawks
2018: Ws against Colts; Ls against Titans, Vikings, Cowboys x 2, Saints
2019: Ws against Packers, Bills, Bears, Cowboys; Ls against Cowboys, Vikings, Patriots, Seahawks
Total: 13-20
Total without 2016: 9-11

That 2016 schedule was brutal. 75% of the games were against teams with 500+ records.

It's an area Wentz needs to improve.  But that's a reflection on the whole team.  Everyone from the OL and defense need to win matchups against good opponents, not just pound the bad ones.  The defense, in particular, is often either REALLY dominant against awful offenses or REALLY bad against good ones.  We haven't seen too many solid performances against dangerous offenses....I'm not diving through stats or history here, just a subjective feel.  I'm not going to criticize the weapons with this stat, because they suck against all opponents.  

But it's also not damning.  Nearly everyone, especially at this stage, is going to have a tough record against winning opponents.

Chris Long is my favorite

 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

They had a three and out and on the first play of the next drive Wentz was concussed. There’s little to glean from that, although Wentz has struggled mightily against Seattle in his career. 

We'll never know.  One is an extrapolation, the other is a favorable assumption.  That's why I don't think they'd have won either way.  But we'll never know.

We got the Pats in 52.  Nothing would please me more than to take down the Saints and Seahawks en route to the SB this year.  I hate those 3 teams more than our division rivals.  

16 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Were those stats based on record at time of game or year ending record?

I used final records. Of course, that can be misleading. The Lions this year were good with Stafford, but terrible without him. Had we played them later in the year, we'd have won going away. The inverse is true as well. We got lucky in 2018 that we played Washington twice after Alex Smith got hurt; Washington was 1st in the division when he was playing.

27 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I actually disagree with that.  I don't think they were winning that game.  The offense came out flat and has always been flat against that team.  It's more of an assumption to say they'd lift off and win than to say otherwise.

We freaking drove the field on them like crazy but couldn't get it in the endzone. Carson is exactly what was needed. 

15 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

But you do agree that AR needed to leave, right?

100%

I knew he had to leave the moment when the Eagles were inside the 5 yard line (no clue what game or year, but prob 2011 or 2012) and they shifted into the Pro Formation.  I called out screen pass from my couch, and sure enough thats what they ran.  It was either incomplete or a 4 yard loss on the play.  I was like if i know whats coming so does the defense.  

I still would've liked to see what McNabb could've done with Maclin, Jackson, and Mccoy for a couple more years.  

1 minute ago, Matt03785 said:

100%

I knew he had to leave the moment when the Eagles were inside the 5 yard line (no clue what game or year, but prob 2011 or 2012) and they shifted into the Pro Formation.  I called out screen pass from my couch, and sure enough thats what they ran.  It was either incomplete or a 4 yard loss on the play.  I was like if i know whats coming so does the defense.  

I still would've liked to see what McNabb could've done with Maclin, Jackson, and Mccoy for a couple more years.  

McNabb was cooked

Got a notification that said Doug expects Sudfeld to be #2 over Hurts

So what we expected to happen

 

I still don't like the pick though

 

36 minutes ago, greend said:

McNabb was cooked

Agreed.  I posted this before, but it's a sad irony that AR let Mcnabb down in the first half of their marriage by not committing to better weapons.  Mcnabb let AR down in the second half.  That's when AR really figured out NFL offense, learned to draft WRs, and frankly propped up Mcnabb far more than we realize/acknowledge.  

21 hours ago, greend said:

I would have taken Mims. 

Workout warrior, nothing more.  His value was 3rd round at best...

20 hours ago, BigEFly said:

His combine didn’t raise him on my evaluation. I had him in the late third or fourth round.  (For the Eagles) Not convinced he will run routes better than Robert Davis. Worried we would see Agholor and JJAW 2.0 level confusion for him in Doug’s offense.  WRs and DBs are hard to evaluate with the materials an average fan has because of a lack of all 22 views.  I see a lack of crisp cuts from him. I don’t see much in the way of jukes, feints and change of pace.  Relies on his size a bit much.  Doesn’t play to his Combine measurements.  

Mildly productive guy in a bad defensive conference, who's highlights are OPI at the NFL level.  I agree.

20 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I don't see Agholor's struggles as "confusion".  I saw it more he just lacked confidence when the lights came on.  JJAW just wasn't prepared....period.  

I think NA's lack of confidence was a lot deeper.  He faced a huge controversy early in his career after being overdrafted, all while being hyped as something he wasn't even close to after we Chip gutted the WR corps.  You put him opposite of an in their prime threat like Peanut with a solid big body and let him move around the field like he was used a lot and he'd be a completely different player.  Granted wasn't ever worth a 1st round pick based off what his production would have been, but he'd have been a good WR.

20 hours ago, justrelax said:

Based on what Doug said, the player additions, and the coaching additions, my expectation is that we will see more play action, more motion, more jet sweeps, more runs, and more QB under center. We'll still run our outside zone, split zone, power, traps. Still a lot of wham blocks. Lots of RPOs.

The plays will basically be the same but the pre-snap look will be different. All that motion breaks defensive keys and, when properly used, leads to advantageous match-ups. More play action makes the RPOs more effective, slows defensive reactions and gives OL better blocking angles. Having fast WRs to run jet sweep action puts pressure on the defense in a number of ways; last year it was Agholor or nothing - and teams were not afraid of him because he was almost always and east-west runner. If one of these guys can turn it upfield that will scare teams.

Combining play action with fast receivers puts tremendous pressure on the safeties. If they hesitate or bite the WR is by them. If they bail there will be more room to run and bigger holes in the intermediate zones. After DJax went down last year the safeties squeezed us 'cause we couldn't run by them.

The toys are in place to keep Wentz on his feet, read the field quick pre-snap and break in a fresh franchise LT.

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Agreed.  I posted this before, but it's a sad irony that AR let Mcnabb down in the first half of their marriage by not committing to better weapons.  Mcnabb let AR down in the second half.  That's when AR really figured out NFL offense, learned to draft WRs, and frankly propped up Mcnabb far more than we realize/acknowledge.  

I don't know if the fault is entirely on AR for the lack of weapons.  I think part of it certainly resides with Banner and their free agency targets.  Also, maybe they just should have paid TO more money rather than taking the position they wouldn't negotiate.  I mean TO averaged more than 90 yards a game with McNabb.  In the 3 seasons after he left the leading receivers were Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis and then Desean.  Think about how much better TO would have been.  

19 hours ago, justrelax said:

I agree. Technically, he's ahead of where Big V was right now. The knee aside, how he responds to tough coaching and the pressures of the NFL will be critical. Vaitai worked his a$$ off and handled adversity very well.

I'm curious in what respects you see him ahead in?  I know he played in a much more stacked conference, but I see them as similar prospects in just about every aspect.

19 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Less athletic with arguably less moves than Miller or Avery.  Fifth seems about right but I don’t see him as a strong candidate to beat Avery or Miller, who fill the fourth and fifth DE positions.  Toohill is more athletic and enough of a project he can go to the PS. Anae might not have made it there.  

Not going to lie here, I'd rather him over Barnett on a 5th year option.  Really shocked at the picking up of his option.  Anae is essentially Barnett, an effort player with a lack of field awareness.  This was a pretty bad draft for DE's, unpopular opinion, but even Young IMO has a lot of questions because he was pretty non-existent vs NFL quality tackles outside of 1 game. Hell Runyan Jr at his lunch.  That being said, I liked the draft overall and I'm ok with him not being selected and hope the talent in the wings takes over. 

29 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I'm curious in what respects you see him ahead in?  I know he played in a much more stacked conference, but I see them as similar prospects in just about every aspect.

I remember watching Vaitai highlights after he was drafted and coming away impressed by his feet. He didn't test particularly well, but his feet were good. You could see it. It was the exact opposite for me with Prince. I watched some Auburn stuff after the draft and was disappointed with his feet. I did like Driscoll, however. 

18 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Man this is like Groundhogs Day in here.  I know I heard the same backlash for my criticism of the Pumphrey, Danny Watkins, JJAW and Marcus Smith picks.   

 

18 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I also remember betting some other poster, who had their own draft board and grades, that Manziel will go in the first round.  That posters disappeared after I won that bet. I don’t remember who that was though.  

I think you're playing with a double edged sword here bud.  Was Manziel really a 1st round pick?  History says he was, but he wasn't (nobody but the Browns were taking him before the 3rd round IMO).  Same with Watkins and Smith...

Watkins was a good talent with no love for the game.  Smith was an early 2nd round prospect in a weak draft at his position, who seemingly because of egotistical coach wouldn't give him an inch to even progress.

Pump, IDK who argued with you that that was a good pick.

JJAW we will see, I like him from a talent perspective as a Alshon replacement.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.