Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: Once AGAIN. Politics to CVON!!!!!

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, greend said:

McNabb was cooked

 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  So AR had to leave right?  So how could we have won possible multiple SB without Chip?  Who would have been your HC?

 

BTW.  Chip wasn't responsible for McNabb going to Washington.  

 

 

After 2009 i would have told McNabb to come into camp in the best shape of his life.  He bulked up way too much over the years (muscle wise) and wasn't very agile.  He had a very good year stats wise in 2009.  

I loved Chips offense, but Chip was an idiot because he thought the system was above the players.  Agholar didn't exactly replace Jackson or Maclin at all, and McCoy was built for Chips offense.  I liked Murray, but Chips system failed him.  

Who knows who i woulda picked to coach the Eagles if not Chip.

I woulda been curious to see an in shape McNabb with the Eagles in 2010 and 2011.  Doubt he could've matched Vick in 2010 BUT he wouldn't have turned the ball over like Vick in 2011.  

  • Replies 27.2k
  • Views 2m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Meet my new Grandson Isaiah Lee greend

  • Green Dog
    Green Dog

    Hmm.  Feels like we've finally cut the cord.  Floating out in the ether. Anger at the faceless dismissal and marginalization of it's own fans by PE.com. But extreme gratitude for guys l

  • Rhinoddd50
    Rhinoddd50

    I mentioned this previously on this board, and in the past years ago on the other board.   I'm not sure Howie has ever come out and said it this plainly, but Howie is telling the truth here.   

Posted Images

 

5 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I remember watching Vaitai highlights after he was drafted and coming away impressed by his feet. He didn't test particularly well, but his feet were good. You could see it. It was the exact opposite for me with Prince. I watched some Auburn stuff after the draft and was disappointed with his feet. I did like Driscoll, however. 

This is where I'm ignorant to a pretty large degree on OL prospects.  A lot of what I look at and can put as a plus/minus can contradict at times.  I never saw slow feet in either and I link the differences in the systems (I view Auburn as more power based despite the same gimmick O) as well.  I think with OL prospects I look more towards the hope and prayer that they can learn under the best if they show the ability to adjust in whatever manner they happen to at the college level.  IDK if that makes sense!  Paint me as ignorant and dumb on OL.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

The Cowboys get hit so hard. They lose about 2/3rds of their revenue. The Eagles lose about 43%.

 

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

Workout warrior, nothing more.  His value was 3rd round at best...

And yet still better than taking Hurts

3 hours ago, RLC said:

Yup. QB thirst is real 

In the 2021 draft, there are going to be at least 3 franchise QBs (Lawrence, Fields, Lance). Maybe a 4th sneaks in like Love this year.
By the end of this season, we're losing Brees, Minshew (likely) and Trubisky/Foles as starters. That's a wash. If anything happens to Roethlisberger/Rivers, that's 2 extra spots. There's also shaky QB situations in Vegas (Carr), Carolina (Bridgewater), New England (Stidham). Particularly in places like Carolina, Tampa and Pittsburgh, they could easily draft a 2021 QB high to sit. Guys like Darnold, Allen, Jones, Haskins will likely stay starters in 2022 even if they''re bad.

This doesn't mean Hurts has value; but there will be vacancies. 

Minimum 5 go in the 1st next year IMO.  A lot of tantalizing talent, but Fields is the only one I would call close to a lock.  Lawrence is Mariota 2.0 to me.  Lance would not be a household name if not for Wentz.  Granted he looks like a decent prospect, but not the one I saw Wentz as going into his Senior year.  

7 minutes ago, greend said:

And yet still better than taking Hurts

Time will tell, Mims was on my avoid list.  Hurts wasn't on my radar because I hope Wentz never ages or gets hurt again.

8 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

 

I think you're playing with a double edged sword here bud.  Was Manziel really a 1st round pick?  History says he was, but he wasn't (nobody but the Browns were taking him before the 3rd round IMO).  Same with Watkins and Smith...

Watkins was a good talent with no love for the game.  Smith was an early 2nd round prospect in a weak draft at his position, who seemingly because of egotistical coach wouldn't give him an inch to even progress.

Pump, IDK who argued with you that that was a good pick.

JJAW we will see, I like him from a talent perspective as a Alshon replacement.

I think there is one podcaster that thought Pumphrey was a good pick.  I had no real opinion until seeing him play.  It abundantly clear that he wasn't an NFL player from his first pre-season game. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

 

Texas is going to be open for sporting events.  So I would imagine they will still have fans.  Of course it will be a nightmare if you have an outbreak from a game and it shuts down the state again like Italy.  

How was he such a disaster here?

 

That Solak article I posted earlier was a good read. I highly recommend it. 

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How was he such a disaster here?

 

Playing him at FS sure didn't help

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Playing him at FS sure didn't help

I really liked the signing at the time. Then we didn’t use him the way anyone expected. 

Lance would be my top choice this draft, followed by Brock purdy. 

Lance has a pretty damn good LT he lines up with.

Two others I think will raise stock this year 

Davis mills

JT daniels 

This qb draft will be a real good one.

Lance, Howell, slovis and , Purdy would be my top 4, 2 and 3 not eligible 

19 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How was he such a disaster here?

 

Billy Davis

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

I was considering JR’s take on Doug’s statement about the offense.  Something stuck with me about more under center snaps and his thought about play action.  Love most of Carson’s play, but his play action stinks.  He extends way too far for the handoff sell.   I think back to Ken Anderson, one of the most underrated QBs of all times.  Growing up an Oilers fan, not only did I get the displeasure of Bradshaw to  Stallworth and Swann but I also got to see the first WCO QB, Ken Anderson and his QB coach, Bill Walsh, twice a year.   I still don’t think I have seen a better play action QB.  I remember that he could fake out the TV director and cameramen.  He wrote about it in The Art of Quarterbacking.  Pretty simple, the handoff motion has to be the same.  The defense has to see the ball go into the pocket or at least think they do.  Anderson would hide enough of the handoff so that it wasn’t entirely clear.  That was the case every single time, whether he handed the ball off or he kept it.  

I hope Doug got a copy of The Art of Quarterbacking for Carson and maybe some clips of the magic in action. 

Your point is a good one and is particularly true when Wentz is in the shotgun. Fortunately, better ball handling can be taught. That's part of why I think they'll run more from under center. Scangarello is the key hire, IMHO, with a background in the 49er offense and it's elements of that offense that I think we'll see incorporated here. The first thing that jumps out at me is how much their QB played under center - 57% of their snaps. By contrast, we ran under center on only 27% of our snaps, so they used it more than double. Even so, their bread-and-butter running play was the outside zone. That's ours too.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

If you run a lot of play action with the QB under center you're doing a lot of run action with the OL and that can be problematic for protections. This is why the 49ers move the pocket so much. If the OL is selling an OZ to a certain direction, they're going to leave a short corner on the back side, giving a blitzer quick access to the QB. You fix that by moving the QB and bringing a back or TE across the formation to close the back door. That'll be Goedert most of the time, I expect, since they don't really have a FB type (the 49ers do, in Juszczyk - hope I spelled that right). That's OK - we use Goedert in wham blocks a lot so this is nothing new. He'll just come all the way across the formation. And we can use motion to strip away the back side blitzer by running, say jet sweep action toward him, forcing him to flex rather than blitz.

Kenny Anderson was a beautiful QB indeed, until he hurt his shoulder. He got by on smarts for a while but he was never the same, which was so smooth.

One last thing about running from under center. The QB hand action is completely different. In the gun, the arms are extended almost the whole time from snap to mesh point. The QB is facing the defense the whole time. Under center, the QB turns his back on the defense and pulls the ball into his belly. At that point it's invisible to the defense, which is a large part of the effectiveness of play action. You don't even have to be slick with your hand action because, if the defense can't see the ball they tend to freeze if they're keying on the QB. As far as coaching up ball handling, I know that Peyton Manning had cameras set up at various points in the defensive backfield where players would line up and would look at film to see what that player could see in his actions. I believe Montana did that too. No reason the Eagles can't do that for Wentz.

 

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

Billy Davis

What a bad DC.
I still can't believe we had a 2 gapping 3-4 defense from 2013-2015.

23 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How was he such a disaster here?

 

Scheme/Fit 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

What a bad DC.
I still can't believe we had a 2 gapping 3-4 defense from 2013-2015.

To be fair, Chip didn't help him out exactly but it was mostly just a misuse of personnel.  They had a decent front 7 wasn't utilized appropriately.  The team also always seemed like a mess in the secondary.  

Who would have guessed players turning to distracted speed chess as a way to improve processing and decision making skills?

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

I'm curious in what respects you see him ahead in?  I know he played in a much more stacked conference, but I see them as similar prospects in just about every aspect.

He's got better feet than Big V ever had or has. Good feet and excellent balance. You're right in that he has way less experience than Vaitai, however. V has turned himself into a very good OL, with great versatility. To show what a great judge of OL I am, I wanted V cut as a rookie.

10 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

To be fair, Chip didn't help him out exactly but it was mostly just a misuse of personnel.  They had a decent front 7 wasn't utilized appropriately.  The team also always seemed like a mess in the secondary.  

Billy Davis wasn’t good but also not a disaster. Chip wanted the two-gap 3-4 and then gave him nothing at cornerback to work with. 

In 2013 the Eagles were 23rd in DVOA (15th in weighted). In 2014 the Eagles were 10th. In 2015, they finished 17th. 

The extra possessions both inflated the offensive and defensive per game stats. 

 

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

Eagles at 14 is pretty generous 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eagles at 14 is pretty generous 

I was a little surprised myself, but they must be really giving DJax and Alshon the benefit of the doubt. The TEs help too. 

30 minutes ago, justrelax said:

If you run a lot of play action with the QB under center you're doing a lot of run action with the OL and that can be problematic for protections. This is why the 49ers move the pocket so much. If the OL is selling an OZ to a certain direction, they're going to leave a short corner on the back side, giving a blitzer quick access to the QB. You fix that by moving the QB and bringing a back or TE across the formation to close the back door.

I think I saw a stat a while back where Wentz had some absurdly good numbers while throwing on the move, so this offense should work well for him. It also creates more time for our new speedy receivers to get down the field. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.